Pages:
Author

Topic: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins - page 13. (Read 122334 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164
The top two bitcoin hardware wallets are Trezor ($99) and Ledger. Ledger comes in two versions that perform identically.

Actually 3 if you include the cheaper newly introduced partner wallet Citadelle.

The HW.1 is less expensive than the Nano at $22.50 including required Starter while Ledger Nano + Starter costs $38.

HW.1 costs 15 Euros

Nano costs 29 Euros

Citadelle costs 12 Euros

You don't have to buy a Starter if you don't want to - you can download the image and burn it yourself. Also the Starter won't be required with the next version of the firmware as documented on reddit.

Trezor was first

I still fail to see why people think it's necessary to mention that - in case that's really important, then the first is Someone42, who made the unfortunate mistake of associating with BFL to release the first product to market. But at least he deserves the credit.

Leaving price out of the equation: what does Ledger Nano do better than Trezor? For the sake of discussion if someone needs to store hundreds of bitcoin with ultimate security is there a compelling reason to use Ledger rather than Trezor?
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
Are there any other GSM hardware wallets like Case??

I don't care about security, its just for pocket change for countries where I don't have mobile internet (hot wallet).
Activity: 623
Merit: 500
CTO, Ledger
The top two bitcoin hardware wallets are Trezor ($99) and Ledger. Ledger comes in two versions that perform identically.

Actually 3 if you include the cheaper newly introduced partner wallet Citadelle.

The HW.1 is less expensive than the Nano at $22.50 including required Starter while Ledger Nano + Starter costs $38.

HW.1 costs 15 Euros

Nano costs 29 Euros

Citadelle costs 12 Euros

You don't have to buy a Starter if you don't want to - you can download the image and burn it yourself. Also the Starter won't be required with the next version of the firmware as documented on reddit.

Trezor was first

I still fail to see why people think it's necessary to mention that - in case that's really important, then the first is Someone42, who made the unfortunate mistake of associating with BFL to release the first product to market. But at least he deserves the credit.
legendary
The top two bitcoin hardware wallets are Trezor ($99) and Ledger. Ledger comes in two versions that perform identically. The HW.1 is less expensive than the Nano at $22.50 including required Starter while Ledger Nano + Starter costs $38. Trezor was first and has been in production since January 2014 so it is well proven and reviews have been very positive. Ledger is less expensive, lacks a screen, and must be initialized on a computer that is free of malware, which is why they started selling the Starter. I own both and prefer Trezor over Ledger. 
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
Also for people wanting an even cheaper Hardware Wallet option, Goochain founder is launching Citadelle, based on HW.1 - https://goochain.net/citadelle (also announced here)

You might want to include it in the summary.

thx, added.
legendary
FWIW I can confirm they shipped non reviewers https://i.imgur.com/dIVR0A0.jpg - so you should contact them

I did and got this reply:

We apologize for the delay in shipment. Due to an unexpected issue in areas with weak signal strength in some areas we delayed shipment for a few weeks. We are issuing a statement in the next few days to all of our customers with a detailed plan for shipping the final devices.

Signal strength is not a problem where I live so a cut and paste generic response. I suspect there are more problems with the first production run. The overheating charging pads a reviewer already mentioned would also have to be replaced. Case definitely needs to be more open with customers who pre-ordered.
CTO, Ledger
Also for people wanting an even cheaper Hardware Wallet option, Goochain founder is launching Citadelle, based on HW.1 - https://goochain.net/citadelle (also announced here)

You might want to include it in the summary.
legendary
Of course the keep key looks the best... it has a touchscreen and its from the US! Great list though, well done.

Do you guys think it's worth it to b buy a keep key, or just use an old hard drive as my wallet?

KeepKey does not have a track record yet ... can not yet be used with your phone ... and costs $139 more than a Trezor. Trezor has been out over a year now and works great. Sure Trezor is small and plastic, but you can carry it in your pocket on your key ring. You can buy a Ledger and Starter USB for $40 but Trezor is well worth the extra $60 for the screen, I use both of them.
Activity: 692
Keepkey doesn't have a touch screen, but yes I would say buy a hardware wallet.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Two heads are better than one.
Of course the keep key looks the best... it has a touchscreen and its from the US! Great list though, well done.

Do you guys think it's worth it to b buy a keep key, or just use an old hard drive as my wallet?

CTO, Ledger
FWIW I can confirm they shipped non reviewers https://i.imgur.com/dIVR0A0.jpg - so you should contact them
legendary
I really want to know if choosecase is real, it suppose to ship on Sept 21,2015. I wanted to preorder, but was very cautious of bitcoin hardware preorders.  Tongue

I hear you. I pre-ordered a Case as soon as sales were open back in May. They sent me an email back in September that they would be shipping Sept. 21, here it is over a month later and I have not received the Case yet. No tracking, no further emails. I know they sent out some but had problems with the charger overheating. I would not order from them until they get their act together. That is a shame because it looked like a convenient way to store one or two bitcoin as a hot wallet for easy shopping.
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
legendary
Case Wallet Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQMgarnZIk

pricey and it looks not very good for that price...  Roll Eyes

Except the old adage applies, "if you don't own your keys, you don't own the bitcoin". They still hold a key, what happens when the company disappears?

Thanks for the video link. Still waiting for mine to ship. The problem with the charging pad overheating is a real concern. I think Jake's comment that he uses his Case for a hot wallet for day to day use while using Trezor for main storage is spot on.
Activity: 475
Merit: 250
Case Wallet Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQMgarnZIk

pricey and it looks not very good for that price...  Roll Eyes

Except the old adage applies, "if you don't own your keys, you don't own the bitcoin". They still hold a key, what happens when the company disappears?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852
Bitcoin becomes popular increasingly just because that it is a kind of virtual currency, and it is convenient for us to use it in the internet. But now, we store it by a conventional way again. It is so interesting isn't it?

it is just one way to store your coins. and it all depends on how much you own. i always keep 100-200 USD in BTC on my phone - but not my lifesavings  Wink

+/- $30 - $80 at a given time on my phone.  Just enough to pay for a coffee or email (if it ever comes up -- Sad  )...

It looks like the question of "critical mass" applies to BTC: when (if?) enough merchants accept it, then it will take off.  Spending BTC is the biggest problem IMO (other than on gold, but I have enough gold).  I would like to spend BTC at restaurants, etc.  Or in Peru (my other beat), but Peru is NOT a Bitcoin place (unlike Argentina where BTC is catching on).

In the meantime, HODL, HODL, HODL...
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
Bitcoin becomes popular increasingly just because that it is a kind of virtual currency, and it is convenient for us to use it in the internet. But now, we store it by a conventional way again. It is so interesting isn't it?

it is just one way to store your coins. and it all depends on how much you own. i always keep 100-200 USD in BTC on my phone - but not my lifesavings  Wink

Pages:
Jump to: