Pages:
Author

Topic: Putting your money where Pirate's mouth is. - page 27. (Read 73367 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
donator
Activity: 266
Merit: 252
I'm actually a pineapple

Can't tell about the others, but I'm really not trying too hard since the bet. It did cost some time and nerves to keep it up.

It seems difficult to figure out your stance right now, so curiosity has me poke here and there. What I wonder about: why respond to the discussion of fund inflow, and post numbers? Are there by any chance investors who know it's a Ponzi and need to be reassured that they aren't late? Or are you showing off numbers to me so I see the bet was a success? That number should look quite dangerous to the legitimate scenario. It shows the user growth easily suffices for a Ponzi operation, even though we should have just had a "bad" phase.

Point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lYBVi3ALWA

Point - The question was not asked by you nor was the answer intended to wind your clock.  I've never had a problem answering questions that are direct and non intrusive.  An inquiring mind asked and I responded.

Point - Yes yes, everything I write is for you and has an alternate meaning.

Well, now at least we have a better idea of where the pirate island is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_colors_of_national_flags#Red.2C_green_and_yellow

Given the order of the colors, I'm going to guess Bolivia or Guinea, but since Bolivia is landlocked, it's gotta be off the coast of Guinea. That means that the island is most likely part of the Cape Verde archipelago.
Activity: 378
"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

Can't tell about the others, but I'm really not trying too hard since the bet. It did cost some time and nerves to keep it up.

It seems difficult to figure out your stance right now, so curiosity has me poke here and there. What I wonder about: why respond to the discussion of fund inflow, and post numbers? Are there by any chance investors who know it's a Ponzi and need to be reassured that they aren't late? Or are you showing off numbers to me so I see the bet was a success? That number should look quite dangerous to the legitimate scenario. It shows the user growth easily suffices for a Ponzi operation, even though we should have just had a "bad" phase.

Point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lYBVi3ALWA

Point - The question was not asked by you nor was the answer intended to wind your clock.  I've never had a problem answering questions that are direct and non intrusive.  An inquiring mind asked and I responded.

Point - Yes yes, everything I write is for you and has an alternate meaning.

legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
Reading Vandroiy's lengthy replies is starting to get a bit tedious..it used to be fun....
but I guess for 5000 coins he can write what he wishes.... more than other trolls opinionated people

It's because the posts are no longer directed to believers as the target audience.

I wouldn't mind if this thread just becomes some sort of Ponzi-believer-asylum where we speculate while using the assumption it is one. The bet result will be known eventually, so it's not that important to fight about it beforehand. But it is still interesting to me what Pirateat40 is doing, and how he plays this toward the end.

Isn't this what the BS&T fans always wanted, us going to our own thread? Just be happy while it lasts. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001
Reading Vandroiy's lengthy replies is starting to get a bit tedious..it used to be fun....
but I guess for 5000 coins he can write what he wishes.... more than other trolls opinionated people
legendary
Just to give a ballpark idea, since this thread started (July 4th) my net change in storage is +9.96%.  

Heh. Assuming you are talking to me and not including the 7% you printed, then it was indeed your win. This corresponds to 14% weekly user growth, twice the limit! If this is true, it's impressive. Too bad that I still don't believe a word you say -- it might be all made up. If it's true, consider this post a compliment on your skill.

...but there were a few indications of withdrawals during the week. Some people directly said it, and Pirateat40 seemed to complain about it at one point.

Second, this is a lie.  You show me someone that said I complained about anything... EVER

Admittedly "complaining" was the wrong word.

(...)
Stop promoting HYIP scams on the bicoin forums. Go back to LR HYIP forums, or do it on bitcoinhyipforum dot com.

If they do it here, I will exercise my equivalent right (granted by the mods) to "bother" such promoters.

You're doing a great job.  Where did all my coins go?

It seems difficult to figure out your stance right now, so curiosity has me poke here and there. What I wonder about: why respond to the discussion of fund inflow, and post numbers? Are there by any chance investors who know it's a Ponzi and need to be reassured that they aren't running late? Or are you showing off numbers to me so I see the bet was a success? (I doubt you give a parrot's feather about me.) That number should look quite dangerous to the legitimate scenario. It shows the user growth easily suffices for a Ponzi operation, even though we should have just had a "bad" phase.

This bet was not designed to exalt confidence for my lenders, it was my first attempt at seeking out my most vocal critic and making them pay for each comment they post.

Yea, you hedge that bet. It's no loss to me, but you better start now. Wink

Wink

Roll Eyes
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
Second, this is a lie.  You show me someone that said I complained about anything... EVER

pirateat40 is one of the most levelheaded individuals on the forums. He deals with more requests and FUD than probably anyone else, and he does it with class.

Others, including myself, should only hope they can live up to such a standard.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Was on IRC, and yeah I was told why he was able to take more funds (what he called risk).

My money is still with pirate. I do not see how anything has changed over the last 9 months other than the trolls are now 50% of the volume posting.

Honest I am much more worried about Gox going down than Pirate.

trolls 51% attack?!
Activity: 378
"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."
By chilling effects you mean the fueling?  Wink

The fight got BS&T so much publicity that I would not be astonished had it seen an increase in requests. P, any say on this? More, less or equal number of requests/capital?

Just to give a ballpark idea, since this thread started (July 4th) my net change in storage is +9.96%. 

...but there were a few indications of withdrawals during the week. Some people directly said it, and Pirateat40 seemed to complain about it at one point.

First off, did you dream up this information? I confirm there were withdraws since this all started, but... there's always withdraws going on, is that the grain of truth that you used to fabricated this story from?

Second, this is a lie.  You show me someone that said I complained about anything... EVER

It's probably the reason he took the bet. (If he's legit or running much longer, the bet is a loss for him, because I could hedge against BS&T itself and win in all cases.)

This bet was not designed to exalt confidence for my lenders, it was my first attempt at seeking out my most vocal critic and making them pay for each comment they post.

Yea, you hedge that bet. It's no loss to me, but you better start now. Wink

legendary
[...]
With the chilling effects of last week [...]

By chilling effects you mean the fueling?  Wink

The fight got BS&T so much publicity that I would not be astonished had it seen an increase in requests. P, any say on this? More, less or equal number of requests/capital?

Mh... I don't know about after the bet, but there were a few indications of withdrawals during the week. Some people directly said it (some PMed me and thanked me for speaking my mind), and Pirateat40 seemed to complain about it at one point. It's probably the reason he took the bet. (If he's legit or running much longer, the bet is a loss for him, because I could hedge against BS&T itself and win in all cases.)

In addition, his erratic post about showing up before DefCon popped up just when things had heated up. The rate changes themselves came after I'd been pushy on IRC. It's quite a bit for "just a coincidence," more likely all the timings are controlled by deposit-withdrawal statistics, and the forum show is important. The Currin Trading story is supporting this suspicion, the operator there was very intent on keeping the climate positive.

Edit: Don't forget that, at the same relative size, withdrawals weigh more than deposits! This is one of the counter-intuitive implications of printing money.

Do not ask Pirateat40 about statistics, that is pointless. The real growth curve would clearly show what is going on, complete with absurdly large BTC accounts in it; if ever, you only get to see that in the end. Remember that Carlo Ponzi himself was serving drinks to his customers while they were lining up in panic to cause his default. He seemed unfazed until the very end. You will not notice it easily when such people make things up.

I think he went up over four percent in one day not to long ago.

Interesting! Where did you get that data? Are we talking about last week here?

On a side note, how come this information did not make you suspicious? These funds, in theory, come with quite the obligation.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
[...]
With the chilling effects of last week [...]

By chilling effects you mean the fueling?  Wink

legendary

It still is a Ponzi. Edit: did you guys notice the switch to final accretion mode leaking? Smiley It's a subtle post, and it's not by Mr. P.
No?

Apparently, there are no forced withdrawals for the new trust accounts. This probably means the cap on growth is off. I don't think that the non-trust accounts will play a big role, and really, I haven't heard about a lot of forced withdrawals with the old accounts anyway. Even before the flamewar, it rarely happened anymore. Maybe one here and there for the show, but nothing that tries to simulate big players' transactions coming and going -- you'd need them well in the five-digits to make a difference. The need for coins is growing faster and faster, and should soon be unlimited for all practical purposes.

You can't scale a high yield Ponzi down, at least not for long. The "No limits, same yields" approach is a sign of saturation. Shutdown time is normally around the time where recent average in- and outflow have been equal for a bit: the point of maximum deposits. That is assuming is behaves like a modern, and not the original Ponzi, which continued until it actually ran out of money. The latter would be strange, since Pirateat40 would not profit from it.

The primary hype was more than one month ago, and apart from the "is it a Ponzi" topic, there hasn't been much of a follow-up. With the chilling effects of last week, it's expected that the scheme is now slowly getting hungry, and this is what we observe.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
Arghhh.... Don't ruin this thread with all this spam. I was actually enjoying the show with all them bets and everything until it turned into insult on insult.
I dont remember directly insulting anyone. I might have done some implications but the straight forward cursing and swearing came from the other side.
Activity: 426

It still is a Ponzi. Edit: did you guys notice the switch to final accretion mode leaking? Smiley It's a subtle post, and it's not by Mr. P.
No?
Activity: 800
Arghhh.... Don't ruin this thread with all this spam. I was actually enjoying the show with all them bets and everything until it turned into insult on insult.

Anyone mind if I change the thread name to the "Let's insult each other"?

I propose an entirely new thread dedicated to insulting each other.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.

Anyone mind if I change the thread name to the "Let's insult each other"?
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
legendary
Too bad you only realised that after putting 5000 BTC on the line.
I think he was talking about people flaming around happily and doubt it changes the outcome of the bet. Surely massive amounts of people believing in pirateat40 has an effect, but as long as you dont find exponentially more people to join your voyage into oblivion then the scheme will still die soon.

Who the hell is trying to get more people to join "our voyage into oblivion"?

You and the other Russian dude did more of that than any of Pirate's current investors.

(OK, I will give that to you: those PPT bonds should've never existed)
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
I think he was talking about people flaming around happily and doubt it changes the outcome of the bet. Surely massive amounts of people believing in pirateat40 has an effect, but as long as you dont find exponentially more people to join your voyage into oblivion then the scheme will still die soon.
legendary
lol I can't fight this.

Pages:
Jump to: