Author

Topic: Russian Invasion of Ukraine[In Progress] - page 212. (Read 56669 times)

Activity: 2422
Merit: 318

The report linked is from 2015 BTW.

What report? Your link says "28 April 2022"

The one published by Veleor. It is from 2015 and my point is that he is all right using this to justify the war of aggression but hides the fact that it is currently the RF that is preventing the OSCE to inspect the situation on the terrain - you know... like if they had something to hide? (wink wink)

So it is OK when they publish something about some Ukrainian ignoring human rights, but it does not matter if they are saying that the RF is simply not allowing them to work.

Well, do Russians in this situation have any reason to trust ANY organization coming from West?
I mean, nazi Germany central bank didn't face such harsh sanctions, for example
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575
Do not die for Putin

The one published by Veleor. It is from 2015 and my point is that he is all right using this to justify the war of aggression but hides the fact that it is currently the RF that is preventing the OSCE to inspect the situation on the terrain - you know... like if they had something to hide? (wink wink)

So it is OK when they publish something about some Ukrainian ignoring human rights, but it does not matter if they are saying that the RF is simply not allowing them to work.

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
The HIMARS are on the way. Don't worry, brothers. The first four are already in Europe, and they are meant for training purposes. Later, when our soldiers will learn to operate HIMARS, we'll be receiving dozens of them until the invaders will run off of our land. There's no two ways about it. It's important for the whole world to see that an attempt to change the government of another sovereign country by force fails.
The Javelins didn't help, the Bayraktars didn't help, the M777s didn't help, but multiple launch rocket systems will definitely help. A good plan, as reliable as a Swiss watch.
Actually they did help. Russians were pushed out and weren't able to take Kiev.
At this point the more Russians die in this war the better for Ukrainians and the numbers keep growing. If a weapon can add to that number it's always good to have it.
~

True. And those pathetic attempts of Putin to make his slaves to believe that "everything is going according to plan" just show what a big liar he is. Losing many thousands of soldiers and then retreat after gaining nothing that was the plan? Really?

~
Are you aware of what it means to be accepted into the EU? It immediately triggers a number of large aid packages for any region that is below the average wealth, income or employment. I am no fool, this comes with strings attached, but it would be in Ukraine's hands to make good use of these resources and become a marvellous place in the next decade with growth and thriving cultural life.
~

As a Ukrainian I really believe this is what's going to happen. Putin's army will lose this war, I have no doubt about that. But how long it will take for Ukraine to recover from hundreds of rocket strikes? It could take decades, but with the help of the international community we will recover much sooner than haters think.
legendary
Do not die for Putin

"Based on the information collected by the Foundation, a clear conclusion can be drawn that most of the torture victims are not members of the Donetsk or Lugansk People’s Republics’ self-defense forces, but civilians. A ‘reason’ for arrest and torture of civilians by the Ukrainian side can be as simple as involvement in anti-Euromaidan rallies, participation in Russian TV shows, expression of your opinion on the Internet, involvement in pro-DPR rallies, participation in the referendum, ‘possession of a telephone number of a Russian journalist’, ‘Caucasian names – Aslan, Uzbek’ in the personal phone contacts, a phone conversation with people from ‘the Donetsk People’s Republic’, ‘receiving medical assistance in the DPR’, etc. The same absurdity and lack of substantial evidence is characteristic of the other accusations".

There are also videos and articles about how Ukrainian aircraft and artillery fired on the LPR and DPR civilians.

Warning! The footage below contains violent scenes!
[...

Oh, I forgot to answer this bit...

https://www.osce.org/chairmanship/516933

OSCE Chairman-in-Office and Secretary General announce upcoming closure of Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine

“This is not an easy decision to take. We have explored all possible options through political dialogue with participating States to achieve the renewal of the Special Monitoring Mission’s mandate, but the position of the Russian Federation left us with no choice but to take steps to close down the Mission,” said Chairman-in-Office Rau. “The Mission played a crucial role in providing objective information on the ground, facilitating ceasefires and working to ease the effects of the conflict on the civilian population. The work of the SMM’s members deserves our appreciation and gratitude”.

So, you are quoting the report of an organisation that is clearly saying that it is the RF and Adolf Putin that are not allowing them to work in Ukraine?

legendary
Do not die for Putin

On your interpretation of the news as "Ukraine being doomed to defeat and loss of territories", it seems like you are reading half of the text only. The RF may eventually get to steal some land from Ukraine and call that a victory, but that happens only after 40 or even up to 50 thousand RF soldiers die for Adolf Putin, a chunk of the RF airforce becomes planting pots for Ukrainian sunflowers, a chunk of RF's economy dissolves and more than half a million well prepared Russians go to work to other countries, the RF gets more and more isolated in diplomacy and can only trade at a discount with partners that are willing to risk sanctions and is unable to find anyone willing to make a significant investment. I personally do not call that a success, but that's just me.

As said, there are winners on this war, the RF is not one of these.

Is that a victory?

I think you use many assumptions here. Also, typical western error of looking
at everything through purely materialistic glasses

Sure, you do not drink ,eat have a roof and some source of income (job, business or rents). You live of prayers to Lenin and watching performances of the Bolshoi. Wake up, when economy is fucked people die and struggle to raise their children.

On your interpretation of the news as "Ukraine being doomed to defeat and loss of territories", it seems like you are reading half of the text only. The RF may eventually get to steal some land from Ukraine and call that a victory, but that happens only after 40 or even up to 50 thousand RF soldiers die for Adolf Putin, a chunk of the RF airforce becomes planting pots for Ukrainian sunflowers, a chunk of RF's economy dissolves and more than half a million well prepared Russians go to work to other countries, the RF gets more and more isolated in diplomacy and can only trade at a discount with partners that are willing to risk sanctions and is unable to find anyone willing to make a significant investment. I personally do not call that a success, but that's just me.

Is that a victory?

I think you use many assumptions here. Also, typical western error of looking
at everything through purely materialistic glasses
legendary
Do not die for Putin

Many prominent American and European military experts and journalists do not share this optimism at all and argue that Ukraine is doomed to defeat and loss of territories in any case.

NRC - June 2, 2022
Ian Buruma
"Ukraine's demand that Russia withdraw from all their territory is a legitimate move. But it's a move, not an ultimatum. Once negotiations begin, compromises will have to be made. This could mean that Ukraine renounces its desire to join NATO. It could also end in Russian rule in Crimea and parts of the Donbas".

The New York Times - June 4, 2022
Ross Douthat
"But given the state of the war right now, the more likely near-future scenario is one where Russian collapse remains a pleasant fancy, the conflict becomes stalemated and frozen, and we have to put our Ukrainian policy on a sustainable footing without removing Putin’s regime or dismantling the Russian empire".

The National Interest - June 4, 2022
Hugh De Santis
"Having come to the defense of Ukraine, the United States and its allies must persuade Kyiv to bring this war to an end, including by imposing limits on further military aid as leverage. A Ukrainian military victory is not in the cards, and a negotiated outcome is the only realistic goal. To achieve it, Zelenskyy and his advocates in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states must accept that Ukraine will be a neutral state and that it will concede to Russia the Donbas oblasts of Donetsk and Luhansk, as well as Crimea. Given the sentiment of Russian separatists in the Donbas, retaining the region would be fraught with continuing tension in the future".

Die Welt - June 5, 2022
Edward Luttwak
"The curious and strange thing about Russia is that even if it didn't have nuclear weapons, it would be impossible to achieve a Ukrainian victory in the sense that the Russians would be forced to withdraw completely, maybe even from Crimea".

Are you aware of what it means to be accepted into the EU? It immediately triggers a number of large aid packages for any region that is below the average wealth, income or employment. I am no fool, this comes with strings attached, but it would be in Ukraine's hands to make good use of these resources and become a marvellous place in the next decade with growth and thriving cultural life.

Ukraine will not become a member of the EU in the next 15-20 years for many reasons: disputed territories, a huge external debt, a high level of corruption, numerous violations of human rights, oppression of people based on their nationality, etc. If this is not enough for you, then study the comments of the EU officials.

French President Emmanuel Macron: "Ukraine bid to join EU will take decades".
Dutch PM Mark Rutte: "Unlikely that Ukraine will become a candidate for EU membership".
Italy PM Mario Draghi: "Almost all major EU countries oppose granting Ukraine candidate status".

Now, what is the alternative for Ukraine? Become a satellite of the RF and a personal possession of Adolf Putin? Is that the alternative to start making the changes and advances required to be a full member of the EU? The choice is obvious.

Of course, while hostilities last, Ukraine would not be able to join the EU. The process of joining is a complex one and requires extensive agreements, it usually takes years plus to achieve the conditions to be admitted if your country comes from the former USSR and is still under development. Despite this, there is no issue in reaching a support and help agreement or an special treatment for Ukraine - they have earned that certainly. There are many middle-ground situations for Ukraine that do not require full membership but still can make a big impact in the economy of Ukraine.

I seem to recall that Spanish negotiations to join the EU took around 4 years and costed reforms in the fishing fleet, the industry and the agriculture. And, despite enduring some corruption from certain parties, it certainly made the economy thrive. I can see Ukraine following a similar path, hopefully avoiding the mistakes.

You may be surprised but even Belarus had EU aid programmes during COVID.

Is that a victory?

I despise corruption, but in cold and analytic terms, the risk occurs when the money is taken outside the country to hide. If the regime is corrupt but buys local assets or spends the money in the country, it will still enter the local economy.

Thats why you should read Perkins book I linked earlier

Some quotes from his book:

“I’m haunted every day by what I did as an economic hit man (EHM). I’m haunted by the lies I told back then about the World Bank. I’m haunted by the ways in which that bank, its sister organizations, and I empowered US corporations to spread their cancerous tentacles across the planet. I’m haunted by the payoffs to the leaders of poor countries, the blackmail, and the threats that if they resisted, if they refused to accept loans that would enslave their countries in debt, the CIA’s jackals would overthrow or assassinate them. I wake up sometimes to the horrifying images of heads of state, friends of mine, who died violent deaths because they refused to betray their people. Like Shakespeare’s Lady Macbeth, I try to scrub the blood from my hands. But the blood is merely a symptom.”

“The English major looked me directly in the eyes. "Stop being so greedy," she said, "and so selfish. Realize that there is more to the world than your big houses and fancy stores. People are starving and you worry about oil for your cars. Babies are dying of thirst and you search the fashion magazines for the latest styles. Nations like ours are drowning in poverty, but your people don't even hear our cries for help. You shut your ears to the voices of those who try to tell you these things. You label them radicals or Communists. You must open your hearts to the poor and downtrodden, instead of driving them further into poverty and servitude. There's not much time left. If you don't change, you're doomed."
Several days later the popular Bandung politician, whose puppet stood up to Nixon and was impaled by Bucket Man, was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver.”

“I thought about the core tools we EHMs used in my day: false economics that included distorted financial analyses, inflated projections, and rigged accounting books; secrecy, deception, threats, bribes, and extortion; false promises that we never intended to honor; and enslavement through debt and fear. These same tools are used today. Now, as then, many elements are present in each “hit,” although that likely is evident only to someone willing to delve deeply into the story behind the story. Now, as then, the glue that holds all of this together is the belief that any means are justified to achieve the desired ends. Alike
government; instead, they would draw their salaries from the private sector. As a result, their dirty work, if exposed, would be chalked up to corporate greed rather than to government policy.”

I fail to see anything new on any of this. An inflammatory text full of accusations, empty of documents or proof and quite biased. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that all those thing never happened, just saying that the RF taking Ukraine does not look like a solution to any of them.

I despise corruption, but in cold and analytic terms, the risk occurs when the money is taken outside the country to hide. If the regime is corrupt but buys local assets or spends the money in the country, it will still enter the local economy.

Thats why you should read Perkins book I linked earlier

Some quotes from his book:

“I’m haunted every day by what I did as an economic hit man (EHM). I’m haunted by the lies I told back then about the World Bank. I’m haunted by the ways in which that bank, its sister organizations, and I empowered US corporations to spread their cancerous tentacles across the planet. I’m haunted by the payoffs to the leaders of poor countries, the blackmail, and the threats that if they resisted, if they refused to accept loans that would enslave their countries in debt, the CIA’s jackals would overthrow or assassinate them. I wake up sometimes to the horrifying images of heads of state, friends of mine, who died violent deaths because they refused to betray their people. Like Shakespeare’s Lady Macbeth, I try to scrub the blood from my hands. But the blood is merely a symptom.”

“The English major looked me directly in the eyes. "Stop being so greedy," she said, "and so selfish. Realize that there is more to the world than your big houses and fancy stores. People are starving and you worry about oil for your cars. Babies are dying of thirst and you search the fashion magazines for the latest styles. Nations like ours are drowning in poverty, but your people don't even hear our cries for help. You shut your ears to the voices of those who try to tell you these things. You label them radicals or Communists. You must open your hearts to the poor and downtrodden, instead of driving them further into poverty and servitude. There's not much time left. If you don't change, you're doomed."
Several days later the popular Bandung politician, whose puppet stood up to Nixon and was impaled by Bucket Man, was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver.”

“I thought about the core tools we EHMs used in my day: false economics that included distorted financial analyses, inflated projections, and rigged accounting books; secrecy, deception, threats, bribes, and extortion; false promises that we never intended to honor; and enslavement through debt and fear. These same tools are used today. Now, as then, many elements are present in each “hit,” although that likely is evident only to someone willing to delve deeply into the story behind the story. Now, as then, the glue that holds all of this together is the belief that any means are justified to achieve the desired ends. Alike
government; instead, they would draw their salaries from the private sector. As a result, their dirty work, if exposed, would be chalked up to corporate greed rather than to government policy.”
legendary
Do not die for Putin
Hello, everyone!
My name is Ksenia Molchanova and I'm actually born and raised in Ukraine and lived in Russia at the start of the War.
Fortunately I was able to leave this country with the help of my American friend (she buyed me a ticket to South Korea).
(God bless you, Masha Landau)
At the beginning of the war I couldn't believe that it's really heppanning, I felt that I trapped in a nightmare and lived there every day, and most of people (not all, thank God) behind me are Zombies or something like that. I was among protesters in Moscow, but it became really dangerous. And after that I felt that I can't be in Russia, I can't deal with a country who is attacking my Motherland.
So I left and am typing this message from Korea now. I chose this country because I know Korean and I could go there without a visa.
I am a writer (mostly ghost writer), and my 2 fantasy books were written in Russian, but now I want to translate it to Chinese and English of course. I don't want to promote it in Russia anymore.
My father still lives in Ukraine, in Transcarpathia. My mom stayed in Russia. So I really want this war to stop.
I don't know how it will turn out here - I wanted to apply for refugee status, but I am still in quarantine here (tomorrow it will end), so I couldn't do it yet. I hope everything will be alright with me, and I find money to live here (now I have only 300$ left). And I hope everything will be alright with the World.
So this was my little story about how this conflict changed my life. It's not about bitcoin, but I'm studying this area now so I found this Forum.
I was lucky, many people in Ukraine and even Russia didn't. I am lucky, although I still don't know what next for me.
God bless you all.
Ksenia Molchanova

You are one of the nearly 500.000 RF citizens that had to go away thanks to Putin's erratic leadership. You have my sympathy and I really hope you manage to get help and eventually get back on your feet. You are brave and you have done the best thing given the situation. May the Gods help you.

I recommend you to read this web page (it is shorter and TBH less expensive than the book you mention)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls_en

Horizon Europe
Health Programme
Cohesion Fund
Environment and climate action (LIFE)
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP)
European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF)
Research Fund for Coal and Steel (RFCS)

Do you wonder why Ukraine would rather show the middle finger to Adolf Putin now?

But, particularly, since Adolf Putin is making such an effort on getting RF assets (and his own) frozen, there may be extra support on the ground of "war reparations"... why not? It is not like if Europe is going to ask the RF any favours in the future IMHO.

Croatia was last to join...I know that all of this is empty talk,,,most of that "aid" ends up in hands of corrupted politicians

https://www-jutarnji-hr.translate.goog/vijesti/svijet/mafija-zloupotrijebila-eu-fondove-ovo-je-najveca-prevara-u-nasoj-povijesti-ukradene-su-milijarde-15161782?_x_tr_sl=hr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The EU can provide funds, but they cannot do the citizens work nor implement the rule of law. That is the choice and the task of the people of a country: to make sure that their politicians have to answer if they misbehave - much easier in any minimally functional democracy than under a tyranny.

I recommend you to read this web page (it is shorter and TBH less expensive than the book you mention)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls_en

Horizon Europe
Health Programme
Cohesion Fund

Do you wonder why Ukraine would rather show the middle finger to Adolf Putin now?

But, particularly, since Adolf Putin is making such an effort on getting RF assets (and his own) frozen, there may be extra support on the ground of "war reparations"... why not? It is not like if Europe is going to ask the RF any favours in the future IMHO.

Croatia was last to join...I know that all of this is empty talk,,,most of that "aid" ends up in hands of corrupted politicians

https://www-jutarnji-hr.translate.goog/vijesti/svijet/mafija-zloupotrijebila-eu-fondove-ovo-je-najveca-prevara-u-nasoj-povijesti-ukradene-su-milijarde-15161782?_x_tr_sl=hr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368

You just made the perfect comparison. Now it seems a bit different, but in my time teachers did not pay attention to bullies. I learned very quickly that a bully may punch you three times, but if you at least manage to punch his face once, they do not come back (getting a broken nose is not in their plans). Now, if you give in, you are their pet forever.

However the metaphor is not realistic. The RF was supposed to be the big bully in the yard, but Ukraine is proving that all that theoretical and propagandistic might is just façade. Their "air supremacy" is not there, their "high precision weaponry" is not really high precision and is very limited, and above all, their leadership is no less corrupt that it was in WW I.

As of now, the RF citizens are not willing to enlist. They had to call on the elder up to 60 years and on foreign mercenaries to do their dirty laundry. That should tell you why the bully may actually not come back for more.

Ukrainians are fighting a war worth being fought and they understand that living under Adolf Putin's thumb is not an option. Happiness, freedom and development are incompatible with fear.

But the reality is that the mosquito finally got noticed, and is now being slapped. Russian love is the only thing keeping the mosquito from being squashed altogether.

Cool
legendary
Do not die for Putin

Thank you for acknowledging that Ukraine didn't implement those two points. Words have meanings, you should look up differences between "impossible" and "undesirable"!

1) "did Ukraine abide by the Minsk agreements from 2014 until 2022?" -> "Of course, they did."
2) "This point was not fulfilled by Russia. It was impossible to accomplish anything else with Russia."

That is objectively called lying! You're not going to raise any support by lying! You can't expect anyone with half a brain to fall for such cheap trick! You can finger point all day long, explain how they weren't fair, or provide reasons why Ukraine didn't implementing Minsk agreements by blaming DPR/LPR not implementing other points first, that's all fine, but what you cannot do is fool people by saying that Ukraine implemented Minsk agreements. That's just a lie, you ruin any credibility you've had by claiming such nonsense, and trying to make idiots out of the readers!

I am saying that I consider the treaty signed under threats and it was never fully followed by ANYONE. This is public information, there is nothing new in what I am saying and you are simply looking at one side with absolute disregard for any element of balance or equanimity in the information provided.

Minsk II it was a manoeuvre by Adolf Putin to pat the back of Macron and let him think he was on the path to the Nobel Peace Price. No wonder Adolf Putin considered that Europe would not do anything.

RE credibility and taking people for fools, you need now to answer a few questions:

1) Did Adolf Putin's RF respect THEIR side of the agreement?
2) The RF is justified on an attempt to a full invasion of Ukraine because the treaty was, in your view, not respected by Ukraine? Is that your idea of proportionality?
3) If so, would not now an full scale invasion of the RF be justified by Adolf Putin's actions?

You should not try to play this cheap and accuse when anyone can learn about the fact even with a minimum search. No wonder you are defending this war of aggression and the mass killings.

Following reports of Ukrainian positions being shelled from the Russian side of the border, between 22 and 25 August 2014, Russian artillery, personnel, and what Russia called a "humanitarian convoy" crossed the border. Russian crossings reportedly occurred both in areas that were controlled by pro-Russian forces and those that were not, such as the south-eastern part of Donetsk Oblast, near Novoazovsk.[42][43] The Head of the Security Service of Ukraine, Valentyn Nalyvaichenko, called the events of 22 August a "direct invasion by Russia of Ukraine"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas#cite_note-53

The Minsk II deal set out military and political steps that remain unimplemented. A major blockage has been Russia’s insistence that it is not a party to the conflict and therefore is not bound by its terms. In general, Moscow and Kyiv interpret the pact very differently, leading to what has been dubbed by some observers as the “Minsk conundrum”.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/9/what-is-the-minsk-agreement-and-why-is-it-relevant-now

The agreement contains a timeline for implementation but no binding mechanism, though certain elements—for example, promises to respect the territorial integrity of Ukraine, efforts by France and Germany to help restore financial links with the separatist territories, and promises to continue trilateral dialogue between the EU, Ukraine, and Russia as well as the Normandy-format discussions—are quite important from a technical perspective.

https://carnegiemoscow.org/commentary/59059

All military agreements to end conflicts are signed under a threat, that's kind of their thing. Following that logic, should capitulation of Germany be anulled because it was also signed under some threats?

Disregarding your cheap name calling, clearly not. And if i tried to claim otherwise you should call me out on it. And if i tried to claim that RF respected their side of the agreement and then afterwards tried to justify that by claiming that it was impossible for RF to do so because UA didn't as well, you'd be right to call me a liar. So it'd be nice to find some common ground to clean up clear fakes

And no i don't find this war as justified as much as inevitable. Like i previously said, had it not been Ukraine, i'd be asked to justify fighting against political freedom in Belarus, if not that then LGBT+ freedoms for Kazakhstan, if not that then religious freedom for Chechnya etc... Point being is there are a lot of unfair things happening everywhere in the world, and a hegemony can always exploit one part of the world to start a righteous conflict in another where is suits it. Yeah it sucks that it happened in Ukraine, yes innocent people are dying, yes they are made to believe that they're fighting for their freedom against main evil Orc Adolf, but ultimately they're just being exploited with a soft power (a carrot freedom cookie ) with already foreknown outcome. That's why i take no joy seeing Ukraine encouraged to fight till they reach Moscow or the last standing Ukrainian. It's like watching a much smaller kid trying to fight a big kid, everyone egging on a smaller kid from a side is not his friend and is not doing him any favors.

You just made the perfect comparison. Now it seems a bit different, but in my time teachers did not pay attention to bullies. I learned very quickly that a bully may punch you three times, but if you at least manage to punch his face once, they do not come back (getting a broken nose is not in their plans). Now, if you give in, you are their pet forever.

However the metaphor is not realistic. The RF was supposed to be the big bully in the yard, but Ukraine is proving that all that theoretical and propagandistic might is just façade. Their "air supremacy" is not there, their "high precision weaponry" is not really high precision and is very limited, and above all, their leadership is no less corrupt that it was in WW I.

As of now, the RF citizens are not willing to enlist. They had to call on the elder up to 60 years and on foreign mercenaries to do their dirty laundry. That should tell you why the bully may actually not come back for more.

Ukrainians are fighting a war worth being fought and they understand that living under Adolf Putin's thumb is not an option. Happiness, freedom and development are incompatible with fear.

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1653
Rêlêå§ê ¥ðµr MïñÐ
Ukraine gets the ball back...

[...] The ability of Ukrainian forces to successfully counterattack in Severodonetsk, the Kremlin’s current priority area of operations, further indicates the declining combat power of Russian forces in Ukraine.

Many prominent American and European military experts and journalists do not share this optimism at all and argue that Ukraine is doomed to defeat and loss of territories in any case.

Council on Foreign Relations - May 31, 2022
Stephen M. Twitty
"Well, as I take a look at this, you know, Secretary Austin came out that we’re going to weaken Russia. We have not really defined what weaken means, because if you take a look at the Ukrainians right now, I take a strong belief in Colin Powell’s doctrine — you overwhelm a particular enemy with force. And right now, when you take a look at Ukraine and you take a look at Russia, they’re about one to one. The only difference is Russia has a heck of a lot of combat power than the Ukrainians. And so there’s no way that the Ukrainians will ever destroy or defeat the Russians, and so we got to really figure out what does weaken mean in the end state here. And I will also tell you, Richard, there’s no way that the Ukrainians will ever have enough combat power to kick the Russians out of Ukraine as well, and so what does that look like in the end game".

NRC - June 2, 2022
Ian Buruma
"Ukraine's demand that Russia withdraw from all their territory is a legitimate move. But it's a move, not an ultimatum. Once negotiations begin, compromises will have to be made. This could mean that Ukraine renounces its desire to join NATO. It could also end in Russian rule in Crimea and parts of the Donbas".

The New York Times - June 4, 2022
Ross Douthat
"But given the state of the war right now, the more likely near-future scenario is one where Russian collapse remains a pleasant fancy, the conflict becomes stalemated and frozen, and we have to put our Ukrainian policy on a sustainable footing without removing Putin’s regime or dismantling the Russian empire".

The National Interest - June 4, 2022
Hugh De Santis
"Having come to the defense of Ukraine, the United States and its allies must persuade Kyiv to bring this war to an end, including by imposing limits on further military aid as leverage. A Ukrainian military victory is not in the cards, and a negotiated outcome is the only realistic goal. To achieve it, Zelenskyy and his advocates in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states must accept that Ukraine will be a neutral state and that it will concede to Russia the Donbas oblasts of Donetsk and Luhansk, as well as Crimea. Given the sentiment of Russian separatists in the Donbas, retaining the region would be fraught with continuing tension in the future".

American Thinker - June 4, 2022
Robert Hunter
"A NATO victory in any kind of war with Russia in Europe is unlikely without recourse to nuclear weapons. Total defeat for the alliance at the hands of the Russians is highly probable. The United States must do everything it can to avoid this possibility by disavowing any intention of engaging in hostilities, desisting from arming Ukraine, and encouraging both sides to negotiate a peace deal".

Die Welt - June 5, 2022
Edward Luttwak
"The curious and strange thing about Russia is that even if it didn't have nuclear weapons, it would be impossible to achieve a Ukrainian victory in the sense that the Russians would be forced to withdraw completely, maybe even from Crimea".

Ukraine will not become a member of the EU in the next 15-20 years for many reasons: disputed territories, a huge external debt, a high level of corruption, numerous violations of human rights, oppression of people based on their nationality, etc. If this is not enough for you, then study the comments of the EU officials.

French President Emmanuel Macron: "Ukraine bid to join EU will take decades".
Dutch PM Mark Rutte: "Unlikely that Ukraine will become a candidate for EU membership".
Italy PM Mario Draghi: "Almost all major EU countries oppose granting Ukraine candidate status".

As for this current war, other than just a land grab I see no other justification. Historical revisionism at its best. All the talk about NATO expansion, 'denazification', 'demilitarization', and 'genocide of the Russian peoples' are just empty propaganda points.

Apparently you are talking about propaganda without being sufficiently informed.
Here is the information from the OSCE report about the torture of "pro-Russian" civilians in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions by the armed forces and security forces of Ukraine.

"Based on the information collected by the Foundation, a clear conclusion can be drawn that most of the torture victims are not members of the Donetsk or Lugansk People’s Republics’ self-defense forces, but civilians. A ‘reason’ for arrest and torture of civilians by the Ukrainian side can be as simple as involvement in anti-Euromaidan rallies, participation in Russian TV shows, expression of your opinion on the Internet, involvement in pro-DPR rallies, participation in the referendum, ‘possession of a telephone number of a Russian journalist’, ‘Caucasian names – Aslan, Uzbek’ in the personal phone contacts, a phone conversation with people from ‘the Donetsk People’s Republic’, ‘receiving medical assistance in the DPR’, etc. The same absurdity and lack of substantial evidence is characteristic of the other accusations".

There are also videos and articles about how Ukrainian aircraft and artillery fired on the LPR and DPR civilians.

Warning! The footage below contains violent scenes!
June 2, 2014, Lugansk - CNN article - OSCE report
July 27, 2014, Gorlovka in Donetsk region
July 28, 2014, Lugansk
July 20, 2014, Avdiivka in Donetsk region
August 13, 2014, Zugres in Donetsk region
copper member
Activity: 2058
Merit: 900
White Russian
re: This is not to mention the regular shelling of residential areas of Donetsk by the Armed Forces of Ukraine
Ukrainian army shelled Russian positions in response to attacks on their positions.
Ukraine is methodically shelling the residential areas of Donetsk, where there are no Russian positions and there were just peaceful people living there. Even when Russia bombarded Kyiv with cruise missiles in response to the recent shelling of Donetsk, the factory workshops where tanks were being repaired were hit.

Methodically?  Jesus, you need to stop watching whatever you are watching. Donetsk does not know there is/was a war in Ukraine.

Have you seen pictures of Donetsk and Mariupol?

Which one looks like it was bombed?
What's wrong with Mariupol? Maybe release 2,500 Azov Nazis from captivity and award them with medals for military prowess? Ukraine would shell Donetsk on a larger scale if it could. But it can’t, because it doesn’t shoot from stationary positions, but in the run-shot-ran mode, because if you stand still for a long time, ten shells will fly in response to each projectile.

Cowardly killers, you can only fight civilians.

Ok, now I know you don't know much about what is happening in Ukraine.
I have been closely following the developments in Ukraine since the beginning of the operation. From the latest news - Svyatogorsk is taken.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1786
In order to dump coins one must have coins
Ukraine is a large strategic piece of land that creates a military buffer zone between the south-west and west.  That is why Russia wants to exterminate 40+ million people and destroy and then rebuild the area. Erase Ukrainian culture and replace it with Russian culture.
That is the plan.

Since there is no credible evidence for this even though they have already a ton of opportunities, it's pretty clearly a 'plan' that originates in your own fever-dream mind mostly.  With help from psychological operations targeting your caliber of person of course.

Actually I kind of doubt that even you really believe very much of the BS you've been spouting, but whether or not it's not of much consequence.

Here's a summary of this report.

I know, I know, it's not Russian propaganda or written by big time youtube conspiracy theorists so you will just dismiss it and attempt to appear more intelligent than anyone who relies on experts and journalists rather than youtube conspiratards.  I'll post it anyway.

Russia is responsible for inciting genocide and perpetrating atrocities that show an “intent to destroy” the Ukrainian people, a new legal analysis signed by more than 30 independent experts concluded.

The report, published Friday by the Washington-based New Lines Institute for Strategy and Policy and the Montreal-based Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, also concludes that there is “serious risk of genocide in Ukraine,” and that states have a legal obligation to prevent genocide from occurring.

It cited denials from high-level Russian officials and state media commentators of the existence of a distinct Ukrainian identity, and dehumanizing claims that Ukrainians are Nazis and “are therefore deserving of punishment.” The report also points to Russian authorities’ rewarding soldiers suspected of mass killings in Ukraine, among other evidence.

“The purveyors of incitement propaganda are all highly influential political, religious and State-run media figures, including President Putin,” the report says. “There is mounting evidence that Russian soldiers have internalized and are responding to the State propaganda campaign by echoing its content while committing atrocities.”

Genocide, often seen as the ultimate crime, has a precise legal definition: “acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group.”

The joint report Friday included input from about three dozen experts on genocide and international law, including several former ambassadors and others who were involved in the creation and proceedings of international criminal tribunals.

Their analysis pointed to a genocidal pattern of Russian forces’ targeting of Ukrainian civilians, including evidence of mass executions and torture of civilians in areas that were occupied by Russian forces, such as the Kyiv suburb of Bucha, as well as deliberate attacks on shelters, evacuation routes and humanitarian corridors; sieges of Ukrainian cities; and indiscriminate bombing of residential areas. The report also cited sexual violence and reports of the forcible deportation of Ukrainians to Russia.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/05/27/genocide-ukraine-russia-analysis/

Would you do me a favor and look up how many Ukrainians live in Russia, how many in Crimea and RU controlled Donbas and how is the "final solution" for those millions of Ukrainians has been going there, for the last 8yrs? Also, how many migrated to Russia since Feb 23? How about that Ukrainian born who became an oligarch in Russia and was also sanctioned? Is DPR military waging a genocide against themselves, so their losses also go towards genocide count?
These same idiots refused to call genocide in Rwanda a genocide at this point they're just making a mockery of genocides!
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1786
In order to dump coins one must have coins

Thank you for acknowledging that Ukraine didn't implement those two points. Words have meanings, you should look up differences between "impossible" and "undesirable"!

1) "did Ukraine abide by the Minsk agreements from 2014 until 2022?" -> "Of course, they did."
2) "This point was not fulfilled by Russia. It was impossible to accomplish anything else with Russia."

That is objectively called lying! You're not going to raise any support by lying! You can't expect anyone with half a brain to fall for such cheap trick! You can finger point all day long, explain how they weren't fair, or provide reasons why Ukraine didn't implementing Minsk agreements by blaming DPR/LPR not implementing other points first, that's all fine, but what you cannot do is fool people by saying that Ukraine implemented Minsk agreements. That's just a lie, you ruin any credibility you've had by claiming such nonsense, and trying to make idiots out of the readers!

I am saying that I consider the treaty signed under threats and it was never fully followed by ANYONE. This is public information, there is nothing new in what I am saying and you are simply looking at one side with absolute disregard for any element of balance or equanimity in the information provided.

Minsk II it was a manoeuvre by Adolf Putin to pat the back of Macron and let him think he was on the path to the Nobel Peace Price. No wonder Adolf Putin considered that Europe would not do anything.

RE credibility and taking people for fools, you need now to answer a few questions:

2) The RF is justified on an attempt to a full invasion of Ukraine because the treaty was, in your view, not respected by Ukraine? Is that your idea of proportionality?
3) If so, would not now an full scale invasion of the RF be justified by Adolf Putin's actions?

You should not try to play this cheap and accuse when anyone can learn about the fact even with a minimum search. No wonder you are defending this war of aggression and the mass killings.

Following reports of Ukrainian positions being shelled from the Russian side of the border, between 22 and 25 August 2014, Russian artillery, personnel, and what Russia called a "humanitarian convoy" crossed the border. Russian crossings reportedly occurred both in areas that were controlled by pro-Russian forces and those that were not, such as the south-eastern part of Donetsk Oblast, near Novoazovsk.[42][43] The Head of the Security Service of Ukraine, Valentyn Nalyvaichenko, called the events of 22 August a "direct invasion by Russia of Ukraine"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Donbas#cite_note-53

The Minsk II deal set out military and political steps that remain unimplemented. A major blockage has been Russia’s insistence that it is not a party to the conflict and therefore is not bound by its terms. In general, Moscow and Kyiv interpret the pact very differently, leading to what has been dubbed by some observers as the “Minsk conundrum”.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/9/what-is-the-minsk-agreement-and-why-is-it-relevant-now

The agreement contains a timeline for implementation but no binding mechanism, though certain elements—for example, promises to respect the territorial integrity of Ukraine, efforts by France and Germany to help restore financial links with the separatist territories, and promises to continue trilateral dialogue between the EU, Ukraine, and Russia as well as the Normandy-format discussions—are quite important from a technical perspective.

https://carnegiemoscow.org/commentary/59059

All military agreements to end conflicts are signed under a threat, that's kind of their thing. Following that logic, should capitulation of Germany be anulled because it was also signed under some threats?

Disregarding your cheap name calling, clearly not. And if i tried to claim otherwise you should call me out on it. And if i tried to claim that RF respected their side of the agreement and then afterwards tried to justify that by claiming that it was impossible for RF to do so because UA didn't as well, you'd be right to call me a liar. So it'd be nice to find some common ground to clean up clear fakes

And no i don't find this war as justified as much as inevitable. Like i previously said, had it not been Ukraine, i'd be asked to justify fighting against political freedom in Belarus, if not that then LGBT+ freedoms for Kazakhstan, if not that then religious freedom for Chechnya etc... Point being is there are a lot of unfair things happening everywhere in the world, and a hegemony can always exploit one part of the world to start a righteous conflict in another where is suits it. Yeah it sucks that it happened in Ukraine, yes innocent people are dying, yes they are made to believe that they're fighting for their freedom against main evil Orc Adolf, but ultimately they're just being exploited with a soft power (a carrot freedom cookie ) with already foreknown outcome. That's why i take no joy seeing Ukraine encouraged to fight till they reach Moscow or the last standing Ukrainian. It's like watching a much smaller kid trying to fight a big kid, everyone egging on a smaller kid from a side is not his friend and is not doing him any favors.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hello, everyone!
My name is Ksenia Molchanova and I'm actually born and raised in Ukraine and lived in Russia at the start of the War.
Fortunately I was able to leave this country with the help of my American friend (she buyed me a ticket to South Korea).
(God bless you, Masha Landau)
At the beginning of the war I couldn't believe that it's really heppanning, I felt that I trapped in a nightmare and lived there every day, and most of people (not all, thank God) behind me are Zombies or something like that. I was among protesters in Moscow, but it became really dangerous. And after that I felt that I can't be in Russia, I can't deal with a country who is attacking my Motherland.
So I left and am typing this message from Korea now. I chose this country because I know Korean and I could go there without a visa.
I am a writer (mostly ghost writer), and my 2 fantasy books were written in Russian, but now I want to translate it to Chinese and English of course. I don't want to promote it in Russia anymore.
My father still lives in Ukraine, in Transcarpathia. My mom stayed in Russia. So I really want this war to stop.
I don't know how it will turn out here - I wanted to apply for refugee status, but I am still in quarantine here (tomorrow it will end), so I couldn't do it yet. I hope everything will be alright with me, and I find money to live here (now I have only 300$ left). And I hope everything will be alright with the World.
So this was my little story about how this conflict changed my life. It's not about bitcoin, but I'm studying this area now so I found this Forum.
I was lucky, many people in Ukraine and even Russia didn't. I am lucky, although I still don't know what next for me.
God bless you all.
Ksenia Molchanova

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
I am saying that I consider the treaty signed under threats and it was never fully followed by ANYONE.
Now it doesn't matter, forget about the Minsk agreements, they have lost their relevance. There are two types of people, some in a difficult situation ask "What to do?", while others ask "Who is to blame?". I urge you not to engage in fruitless searches on whom to blame for what happened, this is an infantile position in life. It is wiser and more productive to actively look for a way out of the current situation, and not the reasons for getting into it. It will take about the same amount of force, but the result will be significantly different. Now Ukraine is facing an incredibly difficult challenge associated with the complete loss of its statehood - that's what you should focus on! Otherwise, there will be no Ukraine soon, as it did not exist before 1917.

I think that there is plenty of Ukraine and that, even with just the assets that can be taken from Adolf Putin, his family and the plutocrats it could become a great country to live and work in. The billions in London and NY flats, the gold reserves that are outside Russia, the immense asset base that all the plutocrats have all around Europe... You can move your yatch, but you cannot move your villas in Spain, you flats in London, your gold in the US.... You cannot move your planes unless you want the confiscated, you cannot sell your shares,... More than enough for a fair war compensations.

It will be an epically "Karma" situation that the wealth stolen by the Plutocrats and Adolf Putin from the RF people end up as schools, hospitals, road and bridges all shiny and new right across the border and protected by a NATO treaty.

Yup, west will "help" them as much as it "helped" Kurds, Libyans, Syrians, etc...there's no chance that
they ever see any of those money
I suggest you to read this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Economic-Hit-John-Perkins/dp/0452287081

Horizon Europe
Health Programme
Cohesion Fund

Do you think that Russia leaves the Ukrainian aid packages alone as they conquer more and more of the Ukraine? Heck no! They gobble up the material wealth of Ukraine as they roll over her. It won't be enough to make up for the sanctions, but it's a start.

Cool
legendary
Do not die for Putin
I am saying that I consider the treaty signed under threats and it was never fully followed by ANYONE.
Now it doesn't matter, forget about the Minsk agreements, they have lost their relevance. There are two types of people, some in a difficult situation ask "What to do?", while others ask "Who is to blame?". I urge you not to engage in fruitless searches on whom to blame for what happened, this is an infantile position in life. It is wiser and more productive to actively look for a way out of the current situation, and not the reasons for getting into it. It will take about the same amount of force, but the result will be significantly different. Now Ukraine is facing an incredibly difficult challenge associated with the complete loss of its statehood - that's what you should focus on! Otherwise, there will be no Ukraine soon, as it did not exist before 1917.

I think that there is plenty of Ukraine and that, even with just the assets that can be taken from Adolf Putin, his family and the plutocrats it could become a great country to live and work in. The billions in London and NY flats, the gold reserves that are outside Russia, the immense asset base that all the plutocrats have all around Europe... You can move your yatch, but you cannot move your villas in Spain, you flats in London, your gold in the US.... You cannot move your planes unless you want the confiscated, you cannot sell your shares,... More than enough for a fair war compensations.

It will be an epically "Karma" situation that the wealth stolen by the Plutocrats and Adolf Putin from the RF people end up as schools, hospitals, road and bridges all shiny and new right across the border and protected by a NATO treaty.

Yup, west will "help" them as much as it "helped" Kurds, Libyans, Syrians, etc...there's no chance that
they ever see any of those money
I suggest you to read this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Economic-Hit-John-Perkins/dp/0452287081

Horizon Europe
Health Programme
Cohesion Fund

Jump to: