Author

Topic: Scientific proof that God exists? - page 452. (Read 845565 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 106
October 06, 2014, 11:08:53 PM
What matter is torture? What matter is death?

Concern proving evident within your post are those of beast and man and, therefore, are hailed of nothing exceeding them.

Or as Solomon said, "Everything is meaningless."

After all, we die, and we haven't seen anyone come back to real life without re-dying sometime in the near future after he became alive again. The exception, of course, is Jesus, who arose from the dead within the 3 days after death, and then, 40 days later, ascended into Heaven, alive.

So, what is the benefit of writing anything or doing anything in life? We lose it all anyway, at death, right?

Smiley

But death matters because death is not the end and if the Bible is true (and I believe it to be based on many things proving it to be so) the end result of not seriously considering the consequences of death could be eternal torture.  In reality I believe that nothing matters more than considering our eternal souls.  

eternity...? you too greedy! let the children eat.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Knowledge could but approximate existence.
October 06, 2014, 11:05:27 PM

Concern proving evident within your post are those of beast and man and, therefore, are hailed of nothing exceeding them.

After all, we die, and we haven't seen anyone come back to real life without re-dying sometime in the near future after he became alive again. The exception, of course, is Jesus, who arose from the dead within the 3 days after death, and then, 40 days later, ascended into Heaven, alive.

So, what is the benefit of writing anything or doing anything in life? We lose it all anyway, at death, right?

Smiley

But death matters because death is not the end and if the Bible is true (and I believe it to be based on many things proving it to be so) the end result of not seriously considering the consequences of death could be eternal torture.  In reality I believe that nothing matters more than considering our eternal souls. 
What is significant about torture such that consideration of its extent and duration should be entertained?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
October 06, 2014, 11:03:35 PM

Smiley

But death matters because death is not the end and if the Bible is true (and I believe it to be based on many things proving it to be so) the end result of not seriously considering the consequences of death could be eternal torture.  In reality I believe that nothing matters more than considering our eternal souls. 
October 06, 2014, 10:57:24 PM

Smiley
Your question assumes it's reasonable to make considerations in accordance with an inevitability of death. As the original question posed, how is that reasonable? Why is it reasonable to make a consideration for its relation to death? What matter is that, death, that one would proceed unto any consideration about it?

(Your implied concern is characteristic of "dust." [Your avoidance of explicit provision of backing evidences that yet more.])
October 06, 2014, 10:48:32 PM

Smiley

Our last shirts have no pockets, but our children make up the bigger part of what we are... life!
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
October 06, 2014, 10:46:29 PM

Smiley
October 06, 2014, 09:33:32 PM

I have had discussions that have gone like this.

Friend:  I believe all paths are equally valid so the idea of one way being the only way is wrong.

Me:  Let's say you are right.  All paths are valid.  But Christianity says that there is no way to the Father except through Christ. Wouldn't it be logical to at least follow Christianity then?  It seems to be the safest route.

Friend:  That is actually logical.  You are starting to persuade me.  

Of course,  BADecker, I agree with you. Wink  The only thing I am pondering though is the idea of God "wanting" our respect.  I think perhaps it is more that He wants us to seek Him on our own and not be forced too.  The "respect" of God by all will eventually take place.  Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.  It will either be out of our own choice or after we die.  But I think many people see God as mean and judgmental when in reality He doesn't want anyone to suffer and loves us all very much.   He wants everyone to know Him and to seek Him and love Him and the "respect" should come from a true relationship and awe of how amazing He is.  Just my thoughts.

Remember what the word "God" means, by the dictionary. God is Someone Who is Great.

Respect for God would be simply to acknowledge Him. To recognize that there is a possibility that He exists would even be a simple respect.

Smiley

EDIT: The ancient Greeks were very smart people. In Athens they had an alter with the inscription "To An Unknown God." Those Greeks recognized that they didn't know everything. Among all their gods and goddesses, they realized that they might have missed one. And they didn't want to show disrespect by leaving him/her out. So they built that special alter.

Our atheists are really stupid. They won't even acknowledge ANY god. They are so smart. That's why they can keep themselves alive for so many thousands of years. They know it all!

I suppose even acknowledging God is a an act of respect towards Him.  I had never really thought of it that way.  Perhaps the movement towards atheism is in part a deliberate movement towards not wanting to even grant God that simple act of respect?  I am sure that there are some that just really and sincerely don't believe.  Typically, atheists that don't believe at all do not even seem to care what I think or believe.  They have more of a "live and let live" mentality.  However, it is the ones that used to believe, that now are supposedly "enlightened" and think Christians are idiots and they are trying very hard to encourage the world to not believe, or as it appears "disrespect" God by not even giving the acknowledgment of His existence.  Usually there is a deeper root to this.  God has greatly disappointed them by allowing something to happen in their lives, or by allowing them to feel abandoned when they felt the needed Him most.  I can understand this, but pain and suffering is part of our human experience.  Even Jesus suffered and died so to expect God to be our Santa Claus in the sky is not fair to God.  Perhaps they think that if there was God, then why does He allow suffering?  Or if there was a God, why doesn't He just fix the world?  Thankfully God will end suffering and "fix" the world at some point.  I want to be on His side when that day comes though and the excuse of "I didn't believe in You God"  just won't work at that point.  

legendary
October 06, 2014, 03:57:32 PM

Friend:  I believe all paths are equally valid so the idea of one way being the only way is wrong.

Me:  Let's say you are right.  All paths are valid.  But Christianity says that there is no way to the Father except through Christ. Wouldn't it be logical to at least follow Christianity then?  It seems to be the safest route.

Of course,  BADecker, I agree with you. Wink  The only thing I am pondering though is the idea of God "wanting" our respect.  I think perhaps it is more that He wants us to seek Him on our own and not be forced too.  The "respect" of God by all will eventually take place.  Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.  It will either be out of our own choice or after we die.  But I think many people see God as mean and judgmental when in reality He doesn't want anyone to suffer and loves us all very much.   He wants everyone to know Him and to seek Him and love Him and the "respect" should come from a true relationship and awe of how amazing He is.  Just my thoughts.

Remember what the word "God" means, by the dictionary. God is Someone Who is Great.

Respect for God would be simply to acknowledge Him. To recognize that there is a possibility that He exists would even be a simple respect.

Smiley

EDIT: The ancient Greeks were very smart people. In Athens they had an alter with the inscription "To An Unknown God." Those Greeks recognized that they didn't know everything. Among all their gods and goddesses, they realized that they might have missed one. And they didn't want to show disrespect by leaving him/her out. So they built that special alter.

Our atheists are really stupid. They won't even acknowledge ANY god. They are so smart. That's why they can keep themselves alive for so many thousands of years. They know it all!

I suppose even acknowledging God is a an act of respect towards Him.  I had never really thought of it that way.  Perhaps the movement towards atheism is in part a deliberate movement towards not wanting to even grant God that simple act of respect?  I am sure that there are some that just really and sincerely don't believe.  Typically, atheists that don't believe at all do not even seem to care what I think or believe.  They have more of a "live and let live" mentality.  However, it is the ones that used to believe, that now are supposedly "enlightened" and think Christians are idiots and they are trying very hard to encourage the world to not believe, or as it appears "disrespect" God by not even giving the acknowledgment of His existence.  Usually there is a deeper root to this.  God has greatly disappointed them by allowing something to happen in their lives, or by allowing them to feel abandoned when they felt the needed Him most.  I can understand this, but pain and suffering is part of our human experience.  Even Jesus suffered and died so to expect God to be our Santa Claus in the sky is not fair to God.  Perhaps they think that if there was God, then why does He allow suffering?  Or if there was a God, why doesn't He just fix the world?  Thankfully God will end suffering and "fix" the world at some point.  I want to be on His side when that day comes though and the excuse of "I didn't believe in You God"  just won't work at that point.  
October 06, 2014, 03:51:10 PM
We know soooo much. If the atheists had an ounce of brains at all, they would say something like:

"I don't believe there is any God. I don't think that science leaves an opening for the existence of any God. But since I don't know everything, just in case a God exists, I respect that a God Who deserves my reverence just might exist."

Brave, stupid atheists!

Smiley

Yup, best bet all round is to be agnostic, saying you know either way is a leap of faith.
legendary
October 06, 2014, 02:54:02 PM
We know soooo much. If the atheists had an ounce of brains at all, they would say something like:

"I don't believe there is any God. I don't think that science leaves an opening for the existence of any God. But since I don't know everything, just in case a God exists, I respect that a God Who deserves my reverence just might exist."

Brave, stupid atheists!

Smiley
legendary
October 06, 2014, 02:44:44 PM

Smiley

legendary
October 06, 2014, 01:03:57 PM
I'm really having a hard time here. What I mean is, if God didn't exist, that is, if it were a for-real, proven fact that God didn't exist, that would clarify some things. But it hasn't been proven that God does NOT exist.

Now, since we don't have a way of scientifically proving that God does or doesn't exist, I am having a hard time understanding how foolish some of these bold people can be, that they would mock God. I mean, what if He exists?

If God doesn't exist, any reverence for Him that I might show would be wasted. If the reverence happened to be in the form of $money that I donated to a church, then I would at least be donating to the support of some preacher. It would be like I was helping him and his family to live, no matter how ignorant and foolish they were. And I could feel a little bit of pride in that.

But what if God DOES exist? You don't REALLY know that He doesn't. Some of you should be a little more quiet, rather than mocking of something you don't know.

If there is a God, there is a good chance that He isn't just a little bit God, but that He just might be God Almighty. You are going to die in a few years. If you don't honor the idea of God existing, and He DOES exist, He has all time to mess with you if He wants. I would think THAT would induce a little respect of the idea, so at least you would act civilly towards the idea.

If it ever gets proven that there is NO God, then you have all the time you want to freely mock.  But until you have the proof, how can you be so foolish as to tempt something that might be as great as God? Some of your fellow mockers who have departed this life, might already be suffering in great pain and agony, on some other planet, in some other dimension, totally outside of your sight.

You want respect. What if God exists, and wants respect a thousand times more than you do?

Smiley

Of course,  BADecker, I agree with you. Wink  The only thing I am pondering though is the idea of God "wanting" our respect.  I think perhaps it is more that He wants us to seek Him on our own and not be forced to.  The "respect" of God by all will eventually take place.  Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.  It will either be out of our own choice or after we die.  But I think many people see God as mean and judgmental when in reality He doesn't want anyone to suffer and loves us all very much.   He wants everyone to know Him and to seek Him and love Him and the "respect" should come from a true relationship and awe of how amazing He is.  Just my thoughts.
legendary
October 06, 2014, 12:52:15 PM
Nice job being the millionth person to use Pascal's Wager

All we have guaranteed is this life, I'd rather spend my time living it to the fullest than praising some god that may or may not exist in the off chance that he does and wants to burn us in a fiery hell for the rest of eternity if we don't believe in and respect him.

You want respect. What if God exists, and wants respect a thousand times more than you do?

I don't want nor expect respect from people who don't know I exist.
The contrary would be unsanely stupid. You can't hide in the woods so that nobody sees you and yet being mad that people don't respect/like/have faith in you.
If god is actually like this he should seek professional help.

Yes. It's my fault. I should be writing short posts. How can I expect anyone to read some of the long things I post? At least, I hope that is what it is.

Smiley

I'm glad you finally realized that Smiley

Thanks jackjack. I expect that you are one of the greater minds in here... one who could understand if he/she wanted to read.

Smiley
legendary
October 06, 2014, 12:50:51 PM

All we have guaranteed is this life, I'd rather spend my time living it to the fullest than praising some god that may or may not exist in the off chance that he does and wants to burn us in a fiery hell for the rest of eternity if we don't believe in and respect him.

The contrary would be unsanely stupid. You can't hide in the woods so that nobody sees you and yet being mad that people don't respect/like/have faith in you.

Yes. It's my fault. I should be writing short posts. How can I expect anyone to read some of the long things I post? At least, I hope that is what it is.

Smiley
God has been demonstrated to "personify" a superlative minimum entropy state. Therewithin, Gods more maximally entropic should proffer haven.

But only if the Bible has demonstrated God to be such. Nature gives us a hint at what God is like. And while the Bible doesn't explain Him clearly - like if He were standing right in front of you - the Bible gives us many times more direct info.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1257
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
October 06, 2014, 02:59:00 AM

Smiley

I'm glad you finally realized that Smiley
donator
Activity: 714
Merit: 510
Preaching the gospel of Satoshi
October 05, 2014, 11:41:31 PM
I have a thought experiment that disproves the existence of supernatural worlds, which in turn it implies the non existence of deities.
This argument of mine cornered my own beliefs in my religion, it is brutally simple and effective and I even left priests in silence to finally hear them muttering: "if that's true, then yeah, God can't exist".
So I had no options but to renounce my faith and fall in despair.

It took me a few years to reexplore my existential purpose and accept the non existence of deities.
Even though I am now an atheist, I am against anti-theism, which is the militant atheism that ironically attempts to convert believers to their own truth.

Change in belief systems are not only hard, but it can also be harmful, if not pointless. Like plugging out someone from the Matrix when you are already too old.
1st) You won't convince them. Even if you lay out all the facts in front of them, they will be protected with their defense mechanism: denial, fallacies and cognitive dissonances. There is no point to reason logically when they can't or they refuse to do so.
2nd) If you do convince them that their life has been a lie for... their entire life, be prepared to see them get depressed.

Keep your own beliefs to yourself, because you will seldomly make someone change their beliefs with logic, unless they are really prepared for it.
Most peoples fall into religion not because of a logical decision, but because of emotional needs.
Irrational beliefs and irrational behavior very often has an emotional cause.

Let them be.
October 05, 2014, 07:43:05 PM

Smiley
God has been demonstrated to "personify" a superlative minimum entropy state. Therewithin, Gods more maximally entropic should proffer haven.
legendary
October 05, 2014, 07:33:42 PM

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1257
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
October 05, 2014, 12:31:13 PM

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
We are the champions of the night
October 05, 2014, 12:16:47 PM
I'm really having a hard time here. What I mean is, if God didn't exist, that is, if it were a for-real, proven fact that God didn't exist, that would clarify some things. But it hasn't been proven that God does NOT exist.

Now, since we don't have a way of scientifically proving that God does or doesn't exist, I am having a hard time understanding how foolish some of these bold people can be, that they would mock God. I mean, what if He exists?

If God doesn't exist, any reverence for Him that I might show would be wasted. If the reverence happened to be in the form of $money that I donated to a church, then I would at least be donating to the support of some preacher. It would be like I was helping him and his family to live, no matter how ignorant and foolish they were. And I could feel a little bit of pride in that.

But what if God DOES exist? You don't REALLY know that He doesn't. Some of you should be a little more quiet, rather than mocking of something you don't know.

If there is a God, there is a good chance that He isn't just a little bit God, but that He just might be God Almighty. You are going to die in a few years. If you don't honor the idea of God existing, and He DOES exist, He has all time to mess with you if He wants. I would think THAT would induce a little respect of the idea, so at least you would act civilly towards the idea.

If it ever gets proven that there is NO God, then you have all the time you want to freely mock.  But until you have the proof, how can you be so foolish as to tempt something that might be as great as God? Some of your fellow mockers who have departed this life, might already be suffering in great pain and agony, on some other planet, in some other dimension, totally outside of your sight.

Smiley

Jump to: