Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers - page 2. (Read 5896 times)

legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
October 19, 2023, 11:54:23 AM
Earplug is a nice addition to the set. Just because.
Even gloves wouldn’t be necessary, but I liked the “full gear experience”.
I am only jealous because I didn't think to protective glasses and, as said, earplugs.
Safety first, any kind of protection for eyes, ears, and face would be very useful.

What is a “gum shot” Huh
LOL, apparently it was a typo, the correct one is Gun Shot which produces 140dB in one shot.
Therefore all shooting athletes or those who learn to shoot use earplugs to avoid the sound effects of the Gun Shot.

In fact, every exposure to sound destroys the “ears,” the resource of which differs from person to person. In the presence of congenital defects and abnormalities, the destruction process occurs faster. Wait, what are we discussing? We're not on a medical forum. Smiley
Regarding the security of the seed phrase that ends with personal security equipment.
Some people are sometimes too sensitive to sounds that are quite annoying especially if they are repeated.

Does the sound of metal hitting metal when engraving text on a plate cause unpleasant sensations and discomfort? Then use instead of a hammer, for example, a wooden mallet or something similar ("rubber" mallet). Also, in a small and enclosed room the unpleasant effect will be felt more.

"Soft" metals, such as aluminum, if used as seed phrase plates, will ring less when struck. This is just a note.
Replacing the hammer with wood or rubber, will only reduce the sound effect slightly, but it will still be felt because of the metal clashing with steel.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
October 19, 2023, 10:43:47 AM
I am only jealous because I didn't think to protective glasses and, as said, earplugs.

What is a “gum shot” Huh
This is when a bubble inflated with bubble gum bursts. That's what a “gum shot” is. Smiley

For some people, they may not need earplugs, especially those who are used to sounds such as factory machines or others.
For the record: nobody "gets used to" loud noise. Hearing damage collects over the years, and every exposure to loud sound adds up. It might take years before you realize it's too late.
In fact, every exposure to sound destroys the “ears,” the resource of which differs from person to person. In the presence of congenital defects and abnormalities, the destruction process occurs faster. Wait, what are we discussing? We're not on a medical forum. Smiley
Does the sound of metal hitting metal when engraving text on a plate cause unpleasant sensations and discomfort? Then use instead of a hammer, for example, a wooden mallet or something similar ("rubber" mallet). Also, in a small and enclosed room the unpleasant effect will be felt more.

"Soft" metals, such as aluminum, if used as seed phrase plates, will ring less when struck. This is just a note.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
October 19, 2023, 07:10:38 AM

What is a “gum shot” Huh
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
October 17, 2023, 10:46:20 AM
For some people, they may not need earplugs, especially those who are used to sounds such as factory machines or others.
For the record: nobody "gets used to" loud noise. Hearing damage collects over the years, and every exposure to loud sound adds up. It might take years before you realize it's too late.
Generally, a sound with a volume level of 30 dB - 85dB is a safe sound for the human ear.
If the sound produced by the letter knocker is above 85dB in one beat,
it will interfere with hearing, and usually when exposed to noise for too long the ears will ring.

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
October 17, 2023, 03:50:55 AM
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 2852
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 17, 2023, 02:32:12 AM
-snip-

Thank You. At least earplugs can reduce the noise when tapping the letters/numbers on the washer.

I didn't bother adding this as the noise when stamping the washers wasn't very annoying.

I use these earplugs because when I stamp the washer with quite a lot of letters & numbers, it disturbs my hearing a little.

And its use is also inspired by the following Cryptotag tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKgeItLZL-M.
(The Cryptotag Thor starter kit even includes earplugs in the box content packaging: https://cryptotag.io/products/thor-starter-kit/).
legendary
October 16, 2023, 06:51:55 PM

Please test the seed again on Electrum; you will get the same wallet address as mine.

My bad, I didn't follow all the links back to the original message.
I confirm the address is valid and sadly empty.
Apparent there are never been any transactions on each of those addresses

Thank You. At least earplugs can reduce the noise when tapping the letters/numbers on the washer.

I didn't bother adding this as the noise when stamping the washers wasn't very annoying.
legendary
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 13, 2023, 08:53:13 AM

The example seed listed above is only for initial testing, while a backup of the original seed phrase using the washer is stored in the safe box.

Of course it is.

I usually give warnings, especially to beginners, to never disclose their seed phrases to the public.

The seed phrase is also illegal:

Sorry, I had to try anyway

The seed is not the BIP39 type but rather a seed phrase I got from Electrum when creating a wallet in the Electrum - Bitcoin Wallet thread I made.

-snip-

Code:
expose kite brave build spoon chest desert offer together student valve polar
-snip-

Please test the seed again on Electrum; you will get the same wallet address as mine.

Very beautiful setup. Love the earplug addition to my "overkill" equipment.

legendary
October 13, 2023, 07:34:10 AM

The example seed listed above is only for initial testing, while a backup of the original seed phrase using the washer is stored in the safe box.

Of course it is.
The seed phrase is also illegal:

Sorry, I had to try anyway
Very beautiful setup. Love the earplug addition to my "overkill" equipment.

legendary
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 09, 2023, 09:52:23 PM
Can someone explain to me why you think your metal backup will be exposed to such an amount of vibrations that you fear the nut may become loose? Come on, that seems nuts to me. You must have some pretty obscure hiding locations for your backups which have vibes of such strength.
There is no harm in paying attention to the slightest possibility that could happen, such as the nut loosening and falling off the bolt, whether due to vibration, impact or other causes.
Some testing methods for the durability of seed phrase storage media can be tested against heat stress at a specific temperature, water resistance, corrosion resistance, shock resistance, etc. All of this aims to minimize the loss of seed phrase data.

Some Jameson Loop testing:
https://blog.lopp.net/metal-bitcoin-seed-storage-stress-test-iv/
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange
October 06, 2023, 08:02:03 PM
Can someone explain to me why you think your metal backup will be exposed to such an amount of vibrations that you fear the nut may become loose? Come on, that seems nuts to me. You must have some pretty obscure hiding locations for your backups which have vibes of such strength.

Seriously, at most I'd apply some strong Loctite to secure and be good with it. For tamper detection some glitter and hot glue and a picture of the resulting glitter pattern.
legendary
October 06, 2023, 12:06:03 PM
If the vibrations of the nuts cause a problem for someone, then you can use one trick: instead of one nut per bolt, tighten two nuts. You will be surprised to see how reliable it will be. Check this out for authenticity sometime.
Nope, I saw it on Youtube too: given enough vibrations, it still gets loose. If you want to be absolutely certain it doesn't unwrap itself, do what my motorcycle uses on it's axis: drill a hole, and place a split pen through it.
legendary
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 06, 2023, 11:14:05 AM
-snip-
It is advisable to use nuts with a nylon insert to avoid self-loosening (although I doubt that this will happen).
I used Flange bolts and Flange nuts to prevent self-loosening a nut.

I have made backup seed phrases using M8 Flat Washer 1.5mm (galvanized iron plate) and 2.0mm (304 Stainless Steel M8 x 24 x 2.0mm).
Here are some of the equipment and results that I have made:

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
October 06, 2023, 11:11:43 AM
It is advisable to use nuts with a nylon insert to avoid self-loosening (although I doubt that this will happen).
You need a lot of vibrations for self-loosening a nut. From the tests I've seen, nylon inserts help a bit but given enough vibrations, it'll still get loose. None of this should be a problem for your seed word storage though, unless maybe if you store it on top of your car engine for years.
If the vibrations of the nuts cause a problem for someone, then you can use one trick: instead of one nut per bolt, tighten two nuts. You will be surprised to see how reliable it will be. Check this out for authenticity sometime.

Some thoughts about alternative versions of the Seed Phrase Washers prompted me to write this post.

Very nice.
In my opinion, washers are more ubiquitous than metal plates and may have a final form factor that is easier to conceal.
Yet, your solution is perfect, as it uses commonly available materials and preserves the holder's privacy.
Of course, the weakest link in my guide is the jig, which is necessary for my method, while you found an excellent alternative for those who haven't been able to find one.

Security models are very different as different attack vectors are possible: there isn't a "better solution" for everyone as scenarios are different for everybody. This guide is excellent for those who want to rely on pieces you can find in any hardware store.

I agree, the washers probably seem universal due to their form factor, but this also imposes some limitations. But there are still some advantages, one of which I wanted to highlight. This is an opportunity to enclose a stack of washers in a metal capsule tube to provide greater durability and protection from environmental influences, while at the same time providing some camouflage. Although a stack of bolted plates can be placed in a metal box, which will have similar characteristics.

I don't think plates are any harder to find than washers. Everything is publicly available. The choice between a washer or a plate will depend only on individual preferences. In general, systemically, both options are not very different from each other.

I wouldn't say there are perfect solutions. More like an alternative. As for jig, can do without it by showing resourcefulness or patience (without hand tremors Smiley).

That’s right, it’s impossible to protect yourself from “all attack vectors” and have to try to protect yourself from the maximum possible for you.
legendary
October 05, 2023, 06:03:18 PM
Some thoughts about alternative versions of the Seed Phrase Washers prompted me to write this post.

Very nice.
In my opinion, washers are more ubiquitous than metal plates and may have a final form factor that is easier to conceal.
Yet, your solution is perfect, as it uses commonly available materials and preserves the holder's privacy.
Of course, the weakest link in my guide is the jig, which is necessary for my method, while you found an excellent alternative for those who haven't been able to find one.

Security models are very different as different attack vectors are possible: there isn't a "better solution" for everyone as scenarios are different for everybody. This guide is excellent for those who want to rely on pieces you can find in any hardware store.

legendary
October 05, 2023, 11:12:24 AM
You need a lot of vibrations for self-loosening a nut. From the tests I've seen, nylon inserts help a bit but given enough vibrations, it'll still get loose. None of this should be a problem for your seed word storage though, unless maybe if you store it on top of your car engine for years.
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
October 05, 2023, 10:18:30 AM

Are you refering to something like this: https://jlopp.github.io/metal-bitcoin-storage-reviews/reviews/crypto-keys/ ?  This could be another option But of course I reckon you want to do a custom construction and besides, their website is currently down.
Not exactly "like this". Only partly. Thanks for the link to this article.

I wouldn't carry the seed phrase plates around as a keychain. Firstly, it is easy to read all the phrases, and secondly, when the structure is connected on both sides and fixed (bolt + nut), it forms a more durable thing. One of the photos from the link above shows that as a result of the crash test, some of the plates were bent. It will be more difficult to bend them in a bunch, although this doesn't directly affect the readability of the text, but it is better to be on the safe side and provide for the possibility of the plates “withstanding” a greater load. As much as possible.

Something like this: on both sides, the holes are tightened with a bolt and nut. The number of plates varies depending on individual preference.

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
October 05, 2023, 09:33:18 AM

Are you refering to something like this: https://jlopp.github.io/metal-bitcoin-storage-reviews/reviews/crypto-keys/ ?  This could be another option But of course I reckon you want to do a custom construction and besides, their website is currently down.
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
October 04, 2023, 10:11:54 AM

Washers are undoubtedly a good solution, but what other solutions can be found or made?

The simplest (to write seed phrases) shape is a rectangle. You can make (or buy) small plates that can be connected to each other using a ready-made hole (or made yourself) as in the figure below. The size can be selected optionally.

Using several of these plates will allow to reduce the size of a “classic” plate like this one and fit not all 12 / 24 words on 1 plate, but only 4-6 (or less), for example. In one hole there will be a bolt with a nut on a permanent basis, which will hold the stack of “credit cards” together and allow it to be rotated around its axis in order to view the text on the lower plates, and in the second there will be a bolt and nut that fixes it. For greater reliability, you can make 4 holes in the corners and fasten them.

In theory, this method can be used with [100 dots] seed phrase backup for the same purposes - reducing the size of the physical backup, as well as strengthening  the structure due to the presence of several plates that provide additional rigidity and impact resistance. Add to this the fact that if no information is applied to the top plate, the result is a closed structure containing a phrase (in the form of text or dots - it doesn’t matter) inside and inaccessible to prying eyes.

The next option is furniture fittings. A smaller version of the solution above. I'm not sure if there is a stainless steel version, but this design can be selected as a sample and made (given to be made) yourself.

One plate - one word (or two, if applied on both sides). How is this better than washers? And the fact that you don’t need any additional devices, like a Seed Backup Jig.

But I would prefer something similar to this. In the same way, they are connected with 2 bolts and a nut and form a fixed structure + small sizes.

With some imagination (straight hands handmade skills and tools) can come up with different solutions for making physical / metall seed phrase backup.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
Buy a 3D printer just to create a Seed Backup Jig? Hmm, I guess that would be overkill.
What if we assume that 3D printers log the data of what you have printed?
To the best of my knowledge, all major / popular 3D printer models either ship with or their hardware supports open-source firmware like Marlin or Klipper.

They both do store the 3d model that you want to print (it's a feature), but you can format the SD card afterwards or just delete the file. I don't think they have any hidden 'logs' of models, but since they are open-source everyone can check for themselves.

Marlin also doesn't have any internet access, as far as I know (haven't used it in a while). So there is no uplink to anyone's servers whatsoever, i.e. no risk of anyone knowing what you are printing as long as you own your own 3d printer.

Bottom line though: you don't need any printed jigs. You can just do the washer backup by hand. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: