Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers - page 6. (Read 5896 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
February 13, 2023, 07:59:42 PM

I've yet to see something that beats stainless steel washers!

Indeed. Just remind me why we are talking about copper washers, when we have another superior material in practically every aspects.
Because of malleability? Are you serious?
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
February 12, 2023, 08:07:47 AM
Those are crush washers: the edge is small, and the hole is big. I've never seen a "normal" washer made out of copper, it's too soft to be used as construction material. So there's not much space for stamping words.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
February 11, 2023, 06:38:44 PM
Copper washers are also widely available and cheap, but I am sure everyone already have something from copper in their home, just make sure it's pure copper, not some of the cheaper alloys.
I checked local prices for copper washers and they are very cheap, but I would always choose stainless steel if I had the option to choose, because it has much higher melting point and I think it's more durable.
It would be interesting to see stress testing for copper washers, maybe that Italian member (can't remember his name) can do another round of testing soon with more acid and fire Smiley

legendary
February 11, 2023, 02:45:49 PM
That's a joke, right.. Grin
It's more of a gimmick, I wouldn't use it as a backup (because it's far too much work, and a dirty job to do). But I wouldn't really worry about durability when stored properly (just like I don't really worry about paper either).

The copper can be peeled off with just a knife.
I don't really worry about someone peeling my seed phrase with a knife Wink If that happens, I have a problem already.

Granite?
Activity: 882
Merit: 5811
not your keys, not your coins!
February 11, 2023, 02:14:30 PM
I assume this etches the metal
This reminds me of PCB etching:

After printing the seed words (on a secure offline system) on a transparent sheet, you follow one of the many PCB etching tutorials to get your text in copper on epoxy.
It's not as fire resistant as stainless steel, but looks very nice. If only you could show it to people Tongue
That's a joke, right.. Grin PCBs have a super thin copper layer glued onto a piece of FR4. The copper can be peeled off with just a knife. That's also why solder pads can rip off the FR4 base material when you put stress on an SMD solder joint. So, sure it is a 'metal backup' but with none of the physical properties we usually attribute to a 'metal seed phrase backup'.. Wink

legendary
February 11, 2023, 10:23:33 AM
That looks bad, but it's not something I'd worry about when storing seed words on copper plates. It looks like someone put in a lot of effort to make it look like "mold".
This picture made me look up what happened to copper on the Titanic, and that shows you're much better off using bronze (if you want to store it safely on the ocean floor for a century). Lol Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
February 11, 2023, 10:12:08 AM
To prevent copper from oxidizing.
I'm okay with copper oxidizing. It will still perform it's function.
But it can create an extra headache with cleaning the metal from oxidation. Not to mention that it will make the text hard to read. As always happens: it is easier to prevent than to eliminate the consequences.

One day you may need urgent access to the seed phrase and taking out this epoxy you will see something similar to the picture. This is a waste of time, which can already be very little.

Although in principle, you can varnish
To keep it shiny, I'd use varnish indeed.
Well, yes, this is the most important thing in the securing seed phrases. The main thing is to shine.  Grin
legendary
February 11, 2023, 09:43:21 AM
To prevent copper from oxidizing.
I'm okay with copper oxidizing. It will still perform it's function.

Although in principle, you can varnish
To keep it shiny, I'd use varnish indeed.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
February 11, 2023, 09:31:23 AM
Image loading...
After printing the seed words (on a secure offline system) on a transparent sheet, you follow one of the many PCB etching tutorials to get your text in copper on epoxy.
It's not as fire resistant as stainless steel, but looks very nice. If only you could show it to people Tongue
The part that is made of copper will need to be additionally covered with a layer of solder, which is applied using a soldering iron. To prevent copper from oxidizing. It's still a thin layer of copper, like foil. So, it will require additional skills and tools. Although in principle, you can varnish or something like that. Whatever is at hand will do.

I would prefer to cover this piece of epoxy with a second one with the same dimensions and connect them with bolts and nuts, having previously drilled them (strengthens the structure and protects from prying eyes). You can also stick a protective sticker.
legendary
February 11, 2023, 04:39:49 AM
I know the pain, I've delved into security a few times in the past, and even my routine new computer setup has now reached like stupid levels of complexity, which is very likely considered impractical to a lot of users, and quite frankly not needed. However, I do it because that's what makes me feel comfortable.
I've spent many, many hours rebooting into offline mode running from DVD, copying transactions and rebooting again when it turns out I used the wrong version or wrong fee. It's a pain indeed, and got much better since I have a spare laptop dedicated for this. But it gives peace of mind knowing for a fact that my funds are safe.

Image loading...
February 10, 2023, 05:45:02 PM
Also you can use aggressive salt solution (see youtube for this , guy who test some auto cover spray) and a stencil on washers. you'll need a glue or whatever too. 2 hours and steel will be black after that
A source would be helpful. I assume this etches the metal; is it known how deep this etch is and how well it will hold up over time?
Cutting out stencils also seems a bit of a tedious process; though it may be a really viable alternative for whoever has no access to stamps (e.g. expensive due to weak local currency).
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
February 10, 2023, 04:55:14 PM
Multiple backups is indeed the logical solution, but increases the risk of someone gaining access. I'm fairly certain I could just post my encrypted private keys on Bitcointalk as a backup, but I wouldn't dare do that. After many years in Bitcoin, the compromise between keeping access by myself and having someone else gain access still feels uncomfortable.
Yeah, I haven't got too many backups myself. I do have backups, but I'm comfortable with the level of backups, and I think that's the whole point of this discussion. Do what makes you feel comfortable, even though a lot of it will likely be overkill. However, to feel comfortable, I'd absolutely recommend going through the painful experience of securing your wallets. I know the pain, I've delved into security a few times in the past, and even my routine new computer setup has now reached like stupid levels of complexity, which is very likely considered impractical to a lot of users, and quite frankly not needed. However, I do it because that's what makes me feel comfortable.

Like I said though, I'm currently in the process of doing something similar to the OP with other things that aren't Bitcoin related, and I say currently very loosely, because it's very long process.
legendary
February 10, 2023, 09:04:27 AM
True, earthquakes are possible. I guess I take that for granted, since natural disasters don't really happen a lot in the UK. except for flooding I suppose, but that entirely depends on where you live.
Other locations have forest fires, high crime rates or many other risk factors. Although devastating on a local scale, natural disasters still have a low chance of occuring in most places. There are much bigger risk factors on a personal level.

Obviously, multiple backups should be done, but I do fear that most users will have multiple backups in either the same place or in close proximity, which you know kind of defeats the point.
Multiple backups is indeed the logical solution, but increases the risk of someone gaining access. I'm fairly certain I could just post my encrypted private keys on Bitcointalk as a backup, but I wouldn't dare do that. After many years in Bitcoin, the compromise between keeping access by myself and having someone else gain access still feels uncomfortable.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
February 09, 2023, 03:09:52 PM
We've seen with the recent earthquakes how important it can be to have a seed phrase backup that can withstand some damage.
One of the reasons I like to use one washer per 24-word seed backup and large washers is that the end result is relatively large and bulky, so you could find it again in such a scenario.
LoyceV tactics of putting paper backup inside walls wouldn't end very well in this earthquake scenario, but I don't think slightly larger washers would make much difference.
Only thing that would work in events like this is if you have multiple backups distributed in different locations, different cities, regions or even countries.
We could argue that living in house is much better option than living in tall buildings, and if you want to hide anything, digging a hole in your backyard or near your favorite tree/flower would be much better.

I'm actually in the process of doing it, and not just for my Bitcoin, but other things like certain credentials. However, my threat model isn't as extreme as some of the options here, since I live in a relatively stable area which doesn't have too many hazards.
Stable can quickly turn to unstable, and it doesn't have to be natural disasters.
I know some people who are having big problems with immigrants, police are not doing anything about them, they are armed, they are dealing drugs, and doing all kinds of shit.
They look more like armed forces ready to be deployed on command.

When I was referring to threats I was thinking about legal ones, like government banning bitcoin possessions, or legal ones (an asset seizure from government) or a search warrant of your belongings.
Not just natural disasters, rather self-inflicted ones!
They banned gold in past, so nothing would surprise me anymore.
legendary
February 09, 2023, 08:22:31 AM
I'm actually in the process of doing it, and not just for my Bitcoin, but other things like certain credentials. However, my threat model isn't as extreme as some of the options here, since I live in a relatively stable area which doesn't have too many hazards.

When I was referring to threats I was thinking about legal ones, like government banning bitcoin possessions, or legal ones (an asset seizure from government) or a search warrant of your belongings.
Not just natural disasters, rather self-inflicted ones!
staff
February 08, 2023, 09:08:45 PM
True, earthquakes are possible. I guess I take that for granted, since natural disasters don't really happen a lot in the UK. except for flooding I suppose, but that entirely depends on where you live. Obviously, multiple backups should be done, but I do fear that most users will have multiple backups in either the same place or in close proximity, which you know kind of defeats the point.

Anyway, I should've probably been a little more open minded in terms of natural disasters, that was mainly ignorance from me, and potentially insensitive considering what's happening in Turkey. So, I definitely apoligise if that came across wrong. However, the point does still somewhat stand. If you're worried about it, then you could mitigate that by storing it elsewhere or by having multiple backups as mentioned. Since, you can't really mitigate natural disasters such as the earthquakes if your washer gets a direct hit from something as large as a concrete building falling down, it's likely not going to survive that especially since they'll be stacked up if you're storing in the recommended containers. The flatter it is the more chance it has, but even then I wouldn't be confident of it.

Instead of trying to find a material that could withstand that though, just remove the possibility if possible. I understand for rather large earthquakes or natural disasters that could be difficult. However, you could potentially revert to the ol' digging technique in a marked location in the middle of nowhere, where the chances of someone discovering it would be incredibly slim.

In my case, given my very personal threat vectors, I opted for a washer stack similar to the one depicted in this thread enclosed in a safe box in a bank. (multiple layers of security, underground, water around it, etc).
Not because my stack is huge, but because It is convenient to me.
legendary
February 08, 2023, 07:44:52 PM
I'd be more worried about gaining access to the debris to find it, rather than it being destroyed though. I mean, if you're concerned about this then I probably wouldn't have it there in the first place.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about this at all.
That's a legitimate worry, but not really an issue if you have multiple backups. Unless of course, a huge region is affected by natural disasters like tsunami, earthquake, tornado and all your backups are in that affected region. Or if there are war bombings in the whole region..

This is actually a great point.
Thinking of an earthquake you are barred to access your home for a very long period of time, even if it is standing.
It it reduced in rubble, you probably wouldn't have access to the debris.
In case of a large washers pile, the probability someone see it an d understand what it is, is not negligible.

In my case, given my very personal threat vectors, I opted for a washer stack similar to the one depicted in this thread enclosed in a safe box in a bank. (multiple layers of security, underground, water around it, etc).
Not because my stack is huge, but because It is convenient to me.
February 08, 2023, 07:36:00 PM
Unless, you live in a concrete building, and you're worried about it falling down.
We've seen with the recent earthquakes how important it can be to have a seed phrase backup that can withstand some damage.
One of the reasons I like to use one washer per 24-word seed backup and large washers is that the end result is relatively large and bulky, so you could find it again in such a scenario.

Of course, it would be much easier to just go to one of your other 'off-site' backup locations, import the seed phrase and move the coins to a fresh wallet (in case someone finds your backup in the rubble).

I'd be more worried about gaining access to the debris to find it, rather than it being destroyed though. I mean, if you're concerned about this then I probably wouldn't have it there in the first place.
That's a legitimate worry, but not really an issue if you have multiple backups. Unless of course, a huge region is affected by natural disasters like tsunami, earthquake, tornado and all your backups are in that affected region. Or if there are war bombings in the whole region..
staff
February 08, 2023, 05:46:43 PM
You're not wrong, but is this really something to worry about? I've had all kinds of coins in my wallet my entire life, and never ever did any one of them get physically destroyed. I've used metal washers for various applications, and the worst I've seen was surface rust. I've seen surface rust on stainless steel too, but only after prolonged exposure to seawater.
I've seen washers get run over, I mean they're often scattered around in work sites with all kinds of machinery driving over it. Unless, it's standing up, and then something very heavy drops on it. It's going to be absolutely fine. You shouldn't be putting your backup, something that's extremely important to you in harms way in the first place. I can't think of any circumstance this would be justified. Unless, you live in a concrete building, and you're worried about it falling down. I'd be more worried about gaining access to the debris to find it, rather than it being destroyed though. I mean, if you're concerned about this then I probably wouldn't have it there in the first place.

Pages:
Jump to: