Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers - page 8. (Read 5896 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
February 01, 2023, 05:29:38 PM
It's a pretty old idea, no? At least I've heard it a couple times before.
Definitely an alternative to washers in terms of acquiring a flat piece of metal at a cheap price, with built-in concealment.

Although I still believe washers to be the most versatile option, as well as more common in a wide variety of materials. I.e. I can get super-high-temp-special-washers, meanwhile it will be much harder to find similarly fire-resistant door hinges.

I guess washers are absolutely a superior choice. Again because they are easily moveable to a different location when needed. What might have you to do in case you need to clear your house in a few minutes?
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
February 01, 2023, 05:02:14 PM
A nice idea to hide your seed:

Of course there is a big risk when you want to recover your seed, or that you unvoluntailty expose it if you forget it's hidden there! (it can happen!)
It's a pretty old idea, no? At least I've heard it a couple times before.
Definitely an alternative to washers in terms of acquiring a flat piece of metal at a cheap price, with built-in concealment.

Although I still believe washers to be the most versatile option, as well as more common in a wide variety of materials. I.e. I can get super-high-temp-special-washers, meanwhile it will be much harder to find similarly fire-resistant door hinges.
legendary
February 01, 2023, 04:51:06 PM
Sorry honey, I'm doing some online shopping, I'll put back the 12 doors when I'm done.

Those looks like hinges from a big closet/wardrobe. So probably detaching one of those at a time doesn't need to fully dismount the door.
But you are right, ultimately the problem is the security in writing/reading the seeds. A little bit like the scenario descrived here in the thread of the seed engraved on the external case of a safe in a wall.
Activity: 1643
Merit: 683
LoyceV on the road. Or couch.
February 01, 2023, 03:26:44 PM
Sorry honey, I'm doing some online shopping, I'll put back the 12 doors when I'm done.
legendary
February 01, 2023, 02:59:19 PM
A nice idea to hide your seed:

Of course there is a big risk when you want to recover your seed, or that you unvoluntailty expose it if you forget it's hidden there! (it can happen!)
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
December 30, 2022, 12:00:39 PM
Still on the hunt for those containers. I like the look of them, and I'm sure there's other ways of going about it, but they satisfy the nerd in me.

I am just wondering which kind of tool you have at home.
I have no grease, no anvil, and no hammers. I basically had to buy everything for this guide while you guys have "home improvement-grade" sheds full of the weirdest tools.

I've just accumulated weird tools as life has progressed. So, I did have some of the stuff for this guide. I haven't got any grease that'll withstand that sort of temperature though. Same as the washers, I'm not sure the grade of metal used in my washers as they're plain, and a little beat up. They probably came off of something years ago that I can't remember.
legendary
December 30, 2022, 04:39:20 AM

This is not the best solution, but in the case of limited components, it is quite acceptable.

The purpose of this guide was to provide a very basic way of safeguarding seed with very commonly available materials that can be bough basically everywhere without raising OpSec concern.
Nothing says this is the ultimate way of storing your seed.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
December 29, 2022, 01:30:37 PM
I generally agree with that; I've definitely come across items that are commonplace in Europe and impossible to find in the US, and vice-versa.
However, I don't see how people in other locations would build anything without washers. This would be like saying 'oh yeah, over here we build furniture without screws' or 'we do not use nails'. Wherever you find screws (anywhere, no?) there should be washers nearby.
It's true that washers can be found anywhere in the world, but question is how good is quality of materials that is used to make them.
There are different types of stainless steel, and some cheap alternatives are made from regular steel or the use different metal alloys with worse specifications.
I would buy washers only from trusted sellers and always check label and specification for exact material that is used.
Let the washer be of poorer quality and from slightly different alloys, it will still be better than cardboard or paper. In case of emergency, ordinary iron washers can be used, only taking care that the metal doesn't come into contact with oxygen, which causes an oxide film in the form of rust. This can make the printed text unreadable. Use modern ways to protect metal, like paint or something like that. Ultimately, this is an additional way to hide the text on the washers (you can't accidentally peek and if someone removes the paint, you will know that the seed phrase is compromised), which you can always remove with a solvent.

This is not the best solution, but in the case of limited components, it is quite acceptable.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
December 29, 2022, 01:08:07 PM
I generally agree with that; I've definitely come across items that are commonplace in Europe and impossible to find in the US, and vice-versa.
However, I don't see how people in other locations would build anything without washers. This would be like saying 'oh yeah, over here we build furniture without screws' or 'we do not use nails'. Wherever you find screws (anywhere, no?) there should be washers nearby.
It's true that washers can be found anywhere in the world, but question is how good is quality of materials that is used to make them.
There are different types of stainless steel, and some cheap alternatives are made from regular steel or the use different metal alloys with worse specifications.
I would buy washers only from trusted sellers and always check label and specification for exact material that is used.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
December 29, 2022, 05:58:39 AM
I've noticed it with ball bearings vs carbon brushes: the former are very cheap here, the latter very expensive (compared to international prices). Both are mass-produced and used in very large quantities. It doesn't make sense that only one of them is very expensive (1000-2000% price increase).

And if not, they can be produced locally from scrap metal. And we're worrying about high quality titanium to avoid corrosion or melting in a fire.
Letter punches may be more difficult to find.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
December 28, 2022, 07:58:53 PM
Getting those materials also depend on the location or the country of the buyer. You might think that those things are cheap in your area but might not be the same in another area.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1246
December 28, 2022, 06:19:01 PM

All these is just to help me in saving cost as getting all those materials needed as listed by fillippone might soil my pocket at the moment.  Grin
My advice for a budget: get washers (you'll need them anyway) or even cheaper: a plate of scrap metal. Buy letter punches. All the rest you can improvise MacGyver style.

Definitely don't take my equipment list too literally. I just described an overkill configuration. But a bunch of washers, an hammer  and a nut and a bold would be enough for a more than decent backup.
The important thing, like @LoyceV said, is security. Never expose your seed, or part of it, to anyone.
Getting those materials also depend on the location or the country of the buyer. You might think that those things are cheap in your area but might not be the same in another area. That bunch of washer which comprises of the hammer, bold, and the plate the name may be will cost like $20 plus in my locality. And if it is not found in the locality, you will ship it from out country which will cost another extra expenses. If someone really get that, it will be a nice saver of seed phrase.
legendary
December 26, 2022, 06:51:56 PM

All these is just to help me in saving cost as getting all those materials needed as listed by fillippone might soil my pocket at the moment.  Grin
My advice for a budget: get washers (you'll need them anyway) or even cheaper: a plate of scrap metal. Buy letter punches. All the rest you can improvise MacGyver style.

Definitely don't take my equipment list too literally. I just described an overkill configuration. But a bunch of washers, an hammer  and a nut and a bold would be enough for a more than decent backup.
The important thing, like @LoyceV said, is security. Never expose your seed, or part of it, to anyone.
legendary
December 26, 2022, 05:55:47 AM
I have no grease, no anvil, and no hammers.
Just the usual I guess, I've collected it over the years. I started with cheap 40-in-1 boxes as a teenager, and now switched to buying only quality tools. I don't use them often, so I expect it to last a lifetime.

I have come up with another idea of getting to use a goldsmith to print for me
That's a terrible idea!

but with an aluminum steel.
What's that?

For security of not exposing my seed phrase I also thought of taking each phrase seed to different goldsmiths
It's still terrible for security. Don't do this, don't risk it.

You must live in a country with very low wages. Here, a goldsmit opening the door already costs more than all the equipment listed in this topic.
My advice when you're on a budget: get washers (you'll need them anyway) or even cheaper: a plate of scrap metal. Buy letter punches. All the rest you can improvise MacGyver style.
Activity: 728
Merit: 512
December 26, 2022, 05:22:06 AM
At first when I saw the thread I thought to myself this is too time taking to read through, but then I had to go through it anyway and it was worth it in the almost about 30mins I spent to read through.

I am completely impressed with the whole idea of the corrosion-resistant stainless steel seed phrase storage as it going to last for decades if not for time immemorial in addition to other advantageous factors attached like it being fire safe too. But the whole cost of getting the entire enlisted materials available for the whole procedures raise a concern to me based on my financial feat, even though it is worth it. And so I have come up with another idea of getting to use a goldsmith to print for me (to cut cost in the purchase of materials)  but with an aluminum steel. For security of not exposing my seed phrase I also thought of taking each phrase seed to different goldsmiths  in different distant locations. All these is just to help me in saving cost as getting all those materials needed as listed by fillippone might soil my pocket at the moment.  Grin
legendary
December 22, 2022, 07:31:21 PM
Oil could work, I suppose. Wouldn't that pose extra risks with fire then? Oil increasing the heat of a potential fire, and then still having to rely on the washers or containers supposed grade.
If that's a concern, you could use high-temperature grease, I have some C5-A at home that's supposed to withstand 1800 oF (980 oC). But a backup is a much simpler solution Smiley

I have no grease, no anvil, and no hammers. I basically had to buy everything for this guide while you guys have "home improvement-grade" sheds full of the weirdest tools.

legendary
December 22, 2022, 02:14:05 PM
Oil could work, I suppose. Wouldn't that pose extra risks with fire then? Oil increasing the heat of a potential fire, and then still having to rely on the washers or containers supposed grade.
If that's a concern, you could use high-temperature grease, I have some C5-A at home that's supposed to withstand 1800 oF (980 oC). But a backup is a much simpler solution Smiley
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
December 22, 2022, 12:23:13 PM
I've never had the pleasure of owning titanium, but Google tells me pure titanium doesn't rust.

Why not just submerge them in oil? It won't matter if the container isn't perfectly sealed, no air can reach the metal.
Well, that was the issue. I didn't own titanium either because it rusted within a few days. It should react with the oxygen in the air, and provide a sort of protection from the rust. That was the point I was trying to make, even though some might say the metal is x, they could potentially be pulling your leg. For a lot of metals its not actually obvious what type of metal or grade it is. We just take the manufacturers or the person selling it for their word.

And yes, pure titanium should not rust but a lot of titanium alloys will.
It was likely a blend of titanium, and other metals. Since, this metal was fairly cheap for a chunk of titanium. I was suspicious at the time.
legendary
December 12, 2022, 09:37:20 AM

Wax would probably also work well. And hide what they are. Get a candle mold, put the stack in, make the candle with a wick and put it on a shelf. Decorative candle that holds your seed phrase in an airtight way. Odds are a thief is not going to go after a candle on a shelf if you happen to get robbed.

Unless your candle is orange and decorated with a BTC symbol, yes, I would say that a candle is another place a random burglar wouldn't check.

This makes me object that the problem is not on where you hide, but actually "how" you hide.
You can have the most convolute system to hold your seed, but if you ultimately have to tell someone where this seed is, that is the most critical point of failure (I guess the average divorcing wife can make a candle disappear, or eradicate a safe box from the wall.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
December 10, 2022, 04:36:36 PM
In case you are in a doubt, you can always apply grese on the washers in case you live close to the coastline. That will add a few more decades life of the washers in case of tsunami, or you can hide them in a water too.
Other than oil, there is also paint that is used specially for protection against rust.
I even saw some examples of users who created painted DIY bitcoin stainless seed washers.

Why not just submerge them in oil? It won't matter if the container isn't perfectly sealed, no air can reach the metal.
That's a good idea, because oil and water doesn't mix at all, and even putting them in grease or fat would work just fine.
Titanium is great, and I think someone said that washers from titanium exist,  but they are much more expensive.

Wax would probably also work well. And hide what they are. Get a candle mold, put the stack in, make the candle with a wick and put it on a shelf. Decorative candle that holds your seed phrase in an airtight way. Odds are a thief is not going to go after a candle on a shelf if you happen to get robbed.
Works 100%.
I know people who are using bee wax for securely sealing containers.
Pages:
Jump to: