Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers - page 11. (Read 5731 times)

legendary
Activity: 4032
Merit: 7391
'The right to privacy matters'
November 24, 2022, 12:32:05 AM
how about stainless steel bento box

and heat bags.

outer bento box

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091Y6MNQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

inner bento

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJJX3VZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

small fire proof

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085BL9XW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

large fire proof

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074S2H4H9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

so (washers) in (small fire proof) in (small bento) in ( large fire proof) in ( large bento )

I would think this would withstand 1000f in an oven for quite a long time

but that the fire proof bags could melt

I also would say

washers wrap in kevlar cloth drop in small bento wrap in kevlar cloth in large bento

might work well .

I have a few yards of kevlar and a kevlar scissors.

it rates to 800 f

https://www.armorco.com/online-store/Kevlar-Fabrics-c23597470

is my supplier for kevlar.

this fire blanket is also good.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Emergency-Suppression-Retardant-Fireplace/dp/B09H2H2KSF/ref=sr_1_7?

1022f. good price

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
November 23, 2022, 08:27:16 PM

I think I made a lot of references to Jameson Loop's articles in the OP and I even linked the guide to Bitcoin Storage.
So I think the moral tribute to JL is pretty clear on this thread!
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
November 23, 2022, 06:31:41 PM
Have you by chance tested storage options for the washers? I'm taking a look at the options out there, and while they all claim to be a certain grade of steel or whatever, I can't really verify their claims by looks alone. That's just sort of trusting their claims, without actually knowing its a certain grade. Seems to be something that would be easily said, and gotten away with too. Since, I suspect most people don't test the claims.

I might have to purchase a few, and test them out myself. I do like the compactness of the suggestions in the original post though. I'd just be concerned about if it were to melt, even if you put a spacer in between, is the melted metal going to get past that if it doesn't fit absolutely perfectly. I guess gravity acts as a seal somewhat between the washers with the seed on it.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 6871
November 23, 2022, 06:00:00 PM
If you want, I can also try a long-lasting acid test. the short contact only creates a removable scult, in the long run it should only favor rust but I can easily do this test and publish the results.
Nice work testing steel washers!
You could become European and Italian version of Jameson Lopp  Cheesy
If you don't know he tested and tortured many metallic seed cold storage backups and he wrote extensive reviews.
Maybe you can get some ideas for future testing by reading his reviews:
https://blog.lopp.net/tag/cold-storage/
https://jlopp.github.io/metal-bitcoin-storage-reviews/

Activity: 490
Merit: 442
November 23, 2022, 04:47:46 PM
exactly, a very important caution is not to expose the first word, you have to put another additional washer ahead so if the container were to melt due to a fire it would not stick to the engraving of the seed word.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
November 23, 2022, 01:46:33 PM
I like where there are diverse talent on the forum! Who would have guessed you need chemistry notion to master bitcoin? As much as  cryptography was easy, then you risk your hand securing your result of elliptic curve scalar multiplication!
I'm not sure it's needed. We're just nerd at heart Tongue, and therefore must overcompensate on everything when it comes to security. As you said previously, it's highly unlikely you get acid anywhere near these things, and if you did you'd probably have to question your security in the first place, and why you stored it close to potentially hazardous material.

I do think though, any tests being carried out should be done as you intend to store them. That way you get a more accurate test. As was said above, storing them together then heating them up. Same as the acid should probably be tested with them stored how you're actually going to store them, as there could be something unpredictable in the way you're storing them.

I actually think the Hermetic container would probably be the weak point. Since, there's plenty for sale, but having one that is to the same grade as your washers is vital.

November 23, 2022, 01:44:08 PM
Thanks so much for the advice and concern.  Cheesy

I should already have a tank of acid diluted 40% with water.
legendary
November 23, 2022, 01:28:47 PM
I like where there are diverse talent on the forum! Who would have guessed you need chemistry notion to master bitcoin? As much as  cryptography was easy, then you risk your hand securing your result of elliptic curve scalar multiplication!
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18492
November 23, 2022, 11:12:17 AM
okay then I'll dilute it with water and see what happens.
Be careful! Mixing water and sulfuric acid is exothermic enough that it can make the water boil. And since water is less dense than sulfuric acid, any boiling happens on the surface of your container and so the reaction is prone to spit and splash acid all over the place.

Instead add the sulfuric acid slowly to a container of water, so the sulfuric acid will sink through the water and the larger quantity of water will dissipate the heat without boiling.

Edit: Beaten by Marcel by 2 minutes!
legendary
Activity: 3262
Merit: 16303
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
November 23, 2022, 11:10:23 AM
Be very careful there! I don't know how you get pure H2SO4 in your house, but adding water releases a lot of energy > heat > splashing.
November 23, 2022, 10:10:32 AM
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 2124
November 23, 2022, 08:55:52 AM
Hi all, glad my work has been appreciated.
If you want, I can also try a long-lasting acid test. the short contact only creates a removable scult, in the long run it should only favor rust but I can easily do this test and publish the results.
Great work man and it's really nice to see members testing the extreme conditions that these washers can survive because we are talking about engraving our seed phrases over them.But yes the acid test would be giving more specific results and does it have any effect over it or not so will be good if you publish the results.

I think steel is corrosive to diluted nitric acid with water but yes you can try it with diluted H2SO4 to see if there is any effect that can cause damage to the engraved seed over them or not.
legendary
November 23, 2022, 08:16:54 AM
Are you using acid diluted with water?
I'm not using it myself, but that's what I mean.
November 23, 2022, 07:50:03 AM

I'd like to see the same test, but with multiple washers tightened together by a bolt. Can you still separate them after they've been red hot and cooled down?

What exactly did you use? Pure H2SO4 isn't very corrosive to steel, try diluted H2SO4 Wink

the temperature is not such as to cause a fusion and make them stick but I can also do this test without problems.

Are you using acid diluted with water?
legendary
November 23, 2022, 07:39:28 AM
DURING THE TORTURE: I held the flame for more than 1 minute, I believe it was around 700°at the time the picture was taken,  if not more, judging by the colour.
I'd like to see the same test, but with multiple washers tightened together by a bolt. Can you still separate them after they've been red hot and cooled down?

What exactly did you use? Pure H2SO4 isn't very corrosive to steel, try diluted H2SO4 Wink
November 23, 2022, 07:27:21 AM
it will be done
legendary
November 23, 2022, 07:20:46 AM

That would be a good addition I think.
Even if I really can’t figure out a scenario where your seed is flooded with sulphuric acid (while I can understand why it could be exposed to 700°).

But it would be interesting to know it there is any data loss after a few days in the acid.
November 23, 2022, 07:07:47 AM
Activity: 868
Merit: 5808
not your keys, not your coins!
November 22, 2022, 08:55:01 PM
My friend @hymperion from the Italian Board:
made a hard treatment to the washers without any apparent effect:

(courtesy translation by me, original post in Italian)

~
Awesome! Merits given.

The images are pretty self-explanatory.
Also the 'POS SCHIFO'? Tongue Really liked that easter-egg.
legendary
November 22, 2022, 06:48:47 PM
My friend @hymperion from the Italian Board:
made a hard treatment to the washers without any apparent effect:

(courtesy translation by me, original post in Italian)

here we are, I would say the blowtorch test passed!

The washers I used are DIN 9021, galvanized steel, hardness 140 HV

WASHER BEFORE:

DURING THE TORTURE: I held the flame for more than 1 minute, I believe it was around 700°at the time the picture was taken,  if not more, judging by the colour.

AFTER THE TREATMENT: afterwards, I also hit the washer with a hammer, but I couldn't see any significant damage

The images are pretty self-explanatory.

He also mentioned using acid as H2SO4 on the washers without any major effect still.
Pages:
Jump to: