Pages:
Author

Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized? - page 9. (Read 46621 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
October 02, 2013, 05:15:40 PM
Oh, great. So if an article on mises.org says that blackmailing IS aggression because its against your property, then murdering is OK. If on the contrary it says that blackmailing is not an aggression by itself, then murdering is not OK.

Mind-blowing indeed. Some of you love a tad too much your books, there is people that adores their constitution (or their favorite Rothbard book) just like Muslims blindly adore their Coran or Christians their Bible.

Logic != faith.
One concludes blackmailing is not an aggression after following a long series of logical deductions - that will not be found entirely on the link I posted, it's much longer than only that - not by blindly trusting the tales of ancient book that supposedly contains the words of a super-powerful divinity.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
October 02, 2013, 05:13:49 PM
Blackmailing is aggression by definition.

I know for sure that I would never even think of ending somebody's life because of MONEY. The blackmailer was asking for money, he was not threatening to go after him and live his kids fatherless - which in fact is what DPR chose to do.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
October 02, 2013, 05:13:17 PM
Guys, do you really believe the hitman story??? Seriously???  
Don't you think the blackmailer and the hitman were, in fact, the same person simply scamming him?

Anyway, whether it really happened or not, the fact is that he probably had the intention to do it, which is enough to say he is a scumbag..

I thought it was obvious that nobody got killed.  There was no record of homicides in White Rock, BC at that time...
There doesn't seem to be any doubt that he was being scammed, why would "friendlychemist" give contact info of his own creditor??  Nobody would be that stupid, so of course it was him on a different account.   The picture he received of the dead body was probably faked with some ketchup and makeup.  This "pirate" lacked life experience, and seemed to overlook a lot of things.. his young age and lack of experience is what ended him.
Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
October 02, 2013, 05:13:00 PM
How did they have such quick access to his BTC wallet?  You would think it would be password encrypted, or something..

that's for me the BIG question! How did they actually seized them? Probably, reading the criminal complaint, the Special Agent Tarbell has a good understanding of Bitcoin so he has the know-how.. still I wonder how are they managing the account? What they will do with it?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 02, 2013, 05:12:38 PM
He should have just hired a hacker to destroy or retrieve the data back. Probably would have been cheaper than 150k too. Huh

How do you make sure "the hacker" destroyed/retrieved all copies? Roll Eyes
How do you make sure "the hacker", later, will not blackmail you with the same data you paid him to destroy/retrieve?

True.

But also consider that the guy was using Tor, coupled with the nature of his business, it would stand to reason that during this time he may have come in to contact with people with these capabilities and formed trusting relationships?
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
October 02, 2013, 05:12:34 PM
I had the same initial reaction as almost everyone else here to the hitman claims - and personally now I've thought about it, I would never get a hitman for reasons explained later.

But instead of just condemning him for it, you should at least try to see where he was coming from. If many thousands of silk road users were revealed, I guarantee there would have been at least a few deaths and many lives ruined.

The naivete required to believe that a drug lord bringing in that kind of money tries to have someone killed for humanitarian reasons is astounding.

His income was threatened and so he decided to kill the guy who posed a risk to his $$.
legendary
October 02, 2013, 05:11:36 PM
How did they have such quick access to his BTC wallet?  You would think it would be password encrypted, or something..

I'd say that your "libertarian idol" just crapped his pants, and gave away ALL his passwords immediately.

Some of you justifying the hitman thing on DPR "protecting people lives" by "protecting their secrets" is laughable at best. Everything indicates that he gave access to everything as soon as he got caught, and the hitman thing was just a "Walter White" thing to protect HIS BUSINESS AND HIS MONEY, that's it.

Plus, you just do not execute somebody, adding that he lives with "wife + 3 kids", if you are not a psycho fuck.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
October 02, 2013, 05:11:06 PM
Don't you think the blackmailer and the hitman were, in fact, the same person simply scamming him?

Anyway, whether it really happened or not, the fact is that he probably had the intention to do it, which is enough to say he is a scumbag..

I wrote this is another thread, clearly working together.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
October 02, 2013, 05:11:03 PM
The question is, how Atlantis already knew it a couple of days ago... FBI honeypot theory confirmed?

I'm guessing DPR tipped off Atlantis that he was being investigated and was about to go down. They then made an educated decision to not continue down the same path. Just a guess...

DPR got a knock and talk from HIS agents in June 2013 for the seized fake IDs he ordered. He must of known or had some idea that shit was about to hit the fan.

I take it we can assume some alphabet agency used the fake IDs to gain the dump of SR?
Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
October 02, 2013, 05:08:56 PM

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
October 02, 2013, 05:08:18 PM

Edits are only registered if they are done a few minutes after the time of the post/reply. If SMF works like phpBB those "few minutes" are configured by the administrator.

Thanks. You're right, it works now. I've updated the post accordingly.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
October 02, 2013, 05:08:09 PM
FBI agent
low orders on BTC
release news
picked them up cheap,
Huh?
Profit

I'm looking forward to the dump of 600 000 BTC at market.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
October 02, 2013, 05:07:45 PM
How did they have such quick access to his BTC wallet?  You would think it would be password encrypted, or something..
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
October 02, 2013, 05:07:18 PM
He should have just hired a hacker to destroy or retrieve the data back. Probably would have been cheaper than 150k too. Huh

How do you make sure "the hacker" destroyed/retrieved all copies? Roll Eyes
How do you make sure "the hacker", later, will not blackmail you with the same data you paid him to destroy/retrieve?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
October 02, 2013, 05:06:33 PM
The question is, how Atlantis already knew it a couple of days ago... FBI honeypot theory confirmed?

I'm guessing DPR tipped off Atlantis that he was being investigated and was about to go down. They then made an educated decision to not continue down the same path. Just a guess...

DPR got a knock and talk from HIS agents in June 2013 for the seized fake IDs he ordered. He must of known or had some idea that shit was about to hit the fan.
legendary
October 02, 2013, 05:06:19 PM
I think it's too early to speculate but a lot more was at stake. If the blackmailer had released compromising information about SR users this could result in a lot more broken families.
It seems to me that as a libertarian, DPR was acting within the non-agression principle.

No way. Seriously, that should be a no brainer. Blackmailing isn't an aggression, so no use of force against a blackmailer is acceptable. Just study ethics before saying such things. Here, start with Walter Block: https://mises.org/daily/4576

If after the revelation of such secrets, bad things happen, that's not the direct action of the blackmailer, but of those who took the bad actions (the government, in this case). The blackmailer isn't violating anybody's rights. You have no "right to keep secrets". Having a "right to keep secrets" implies in having the "right to censor", by the way.

Thanks, you may have a point, I'll have a read of that link.

Oh, great. So if an article on mises.org says that blackmailing IS aggression because its against your property, then murdering is OK. If on the contrary it says that blackmailing is not an aggression by itself, then murdering is not OK.

Mind-blowing indeed. Some of you love a tad too much your books, there is people that adores their constitution (or their favorite Rothbard book) just like Muslims blindly adore their Coran or Christians their Bible.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 02, 2013, 05:05:30 PM
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
October 02, 2013, 05:04:56 PM
The fact that some idiot thinks I'm "authoritarian" for merely being unsurprised at Ulbricht's true nature just shows how deluded some people really were. You didn't have to be a genius to see that he might be dangerous.
You're an "authoritarian asshole" because you turned an unproven allegation into an indiscriminate political smear against an entire philosophical discipline, including some of the top thinkers in the world today and some of the highest profile and staunchest Bitcoin supporters.

You didn't condemn contracted murder, you used contracted murder as an excuse to condemned people who disagree with you politically.

You've manage to write it better than me what I wanted to say. Thanks.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
October 02, 2013, 05:03:02 PM

You can never know. The Feds always have the edge with espionage techniques.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
October 02, 2013, 05:02:05 PM
I think it's too early to speculate but a lot more was at stake. If the blackmailer had released compromising information about SR users this could result in a lot more broken families.
It seems to me that as a libertarian, DPR was acting within the non-agression principle.

No way. Seriously, that should be a no brainer. Blackmailing isn't an aggression, so no use of force against a blackmailer is acceptable. Just study ethics before saying such things. Here, start with Walter Block: https://mises.org/daily/4576

If after the revelation of such secrets, bad things happen, that's not the direct action of the blackmailer, but of those who took the bad actions (the government, in this case). The blackmailer isn't violating anybody's rights. You have no "right to keep secrets". Having a "right to keep secrets" implies in having the "right to censor", by the way.

Thanks, you may have a point, I'll have a read of that link.

Pages:
Jump to: