Pages:
Author

Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized? - page 4. (Read 46621 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2013, 12:11:52 PM
I think the only way the Govt is going to get its hands on his coins is to let him use some of those coins for his defense.. if not, those 5 percent of all coins will be forever lost.

The criminal complaint claims he made 600K in commissions.  That doesn't mean he still has all that money, though I'd be pretty amazed if he didn't have a lot of it.  He didn't exactly seem to be blowing enormous amounts of money if descriptions of his living arrangements are accurate (i.e. renting a share of an apartment for $1K/month).

it will be interesting to see how they get those coins, its not like they are going to drop charges in exchange, they are going to go for life in prison... It will be interesting to see if he left clues to where the coins actually are, but i think it will be very very difficult to find them..

They won't drop charges, but when it comes to sentencing, they're a lot more likely to throw the book at you if they know you're hiding a huge amount of money for when you get out.  He would be well advised to consult real legal counsel (other than a public defender) as to how to construct a binding deal on anything reducing sentences/getting charges thrown out in return before he says a word.  It would certainly be idiotic to turn over the keys in return for nothing.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
October 07, 2013, 11:54:24 AM
It is very likely that they only seized the hot wallet. If anyone else remembers the largest btc wallet that ever existed, 1DkyBEKt5S2GDtv7aQw6rQepAvnsRyHoYM ( https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/1dkybekt5s2gdtv7aqw6rqepavnsryhoym-94675 ) multiple users, including myself, traced silk road deposits and withdrawals to it. The mixer, at least back then, wasn't very effective. There would be 20-100k btc sent from 1DkyBEKt5S2GDtv7aQw6rQepAvnsRyHoYM to another address, split up into another 2, then every withdraw from SR would sent from a long chain of transactions (outputs withdraw and change) that you could easily follow back.
Activity: 503
Merit: 500
October 07, 2013, 11:37:06 AM
lmao! TOR is now FBI property.... ERR'BODY GETTIN' SEIZED IN THIS BIACH!!!  Deep net isn't looking so deep now....

There's a theory going around that a large amount of TorNodes are actually run by the NSA.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/oct/04/tor-stinks-nsa-presentation-document
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
October 07, 2013, 11:36:23 AM
And the price barely took a hit. Smiley

Except when it dropped 50%
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
October 07, 2013, 11:24:24 AM
And the price barely took a hit. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
October 07, 2013, 10:41:48 AM
if not, those 5 percent of all coins will be forever lost.
What is to prevent him from say, telling a vistor the private key?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 07, 2013, 10:35:42 AM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back

While bitcointalk was down, someone mentioned in an IRC channel that the only BTC the feds seized were from buyer and seller accounts.  Apparently ulbrichts BTC was never seized and still lies in a wallet somewhere (which makes sense, because I always wondered how the FBI could ever get their hands on that).  I couldn't find this is any recent news articles, however, and contradicts what I've read before.  Can anybody confirm this?

Yes, I have read various reports that they do not have the bulk of the coins that DPR had hidden.. For all we know it could be on a thumb drive hidden in a backyard. or a paper wallet in a place no one would find...

I think the only way the Govt is going to get its hands on his coins is to let him use some of those coins for his defense.. if not, those 5 percent of all coins will be forever lost. it will be interesting to see how they get those coins, its not like they are going to drop charges in exchange, they are going to go for life in prison... It will be interesting to see if he left clues to where the coins actually are, but i think it will be very very difficult to find them..

But to see the way he was living, I would bet that 99 percent of his bitcoins are hidden. its obvious that he didn't spend them (except for hitmen)

If he was smart, he should have retired to a country that doesnt have an agreement with the usa.. or handed off the controls of the site to someone else and lived the life of luxury.. Now, he will be in a one of the federal maximum security prisons where he will only see 1 hour of daylight a week and a lot of cock

FTFY
Activity: 924
October 07, 2013, 09:40:34 AM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back

While bitcointalk was down, someone mentioned in an IRC channel that the only BTC the feds seized were from buyer and seller accounts.  Apparently ulbrichts BTC was never seized and still lies in a wallet somewhere (which makes sense, because I always wondered how the FBI could ever get their hands on that).  I couldn't find this is any recent news articles, however, and contradicts what I've read before.  Can anybody confirm this?

Yes, I have read various reports that they do not have the bulk of the coins that DPR had hidden.. For all we know it could be on a thumb drive hidden in a backyard. or a paper wallet in a place no one would find...

I think the only way the Govt is going to get its hands on his coins is to let him use some of those coins for his defense.. if not, those 5 percent of all coins will be forever lost. it will be interesting to see how they get those coins, its not like they are going to drop charges in exchange, they are going to go for life in prison... It will be interesting to see if he left clues to where the coins actually are, but i think it will be very very difficult to find them..

But to see the way he was living, I would bet that 99 percent of his bitcoins are hidden. its obvious that he didn't spend them (except for hitmen)

If he was smart, he should have retired to a country that doesnt have an agreement with the usa.. or handed off the controls of the site to someone else and lived the life of luxury.. Now, he will be in a one of the federal maximum security prisons where he will only see 1 hour of daylight a week...
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
October 07, 2013, 09:08:15 AM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back

While bitcointalk was down, someone mentioned in an IRC channel that the only BTC the feds seized were from buyer and seller accounts.  Apparently ulbrichts BTC was never seized and still lies in a wallet somewhere (which makes sense, because I always wondered how the FBI could ever get their hands on that).  I couldn't find this is any recent news articles, however, and contradicts what I've read before.  Can anybody confirm this?

I read this as well. 27K was the buyer and seller funds. 600K was the amount supposed to have been collected by Ross in commisions. They have not yet got their hands on this.

I think they will get his BTC soon, it won't be long :-)
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2013, 08:53:05 AM

I believe that to be the case, and it is referenced in the criminal complaint.

This is from page 6.

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
October 07, 2013, 08:43:25 AM

Recent article: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/07/fbi-bitcoin-silk-road-ross-ulbricht
legendary
Activity: 1890
Landscaping Bitcoin for India!
October 07, 2013, 08:42:42 AM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back

I read this as well. 27K was the buyer and seller funds. 600K was the amount supposed to have been collected by Ross in commisions. They have not yet got their hands on this.
Activity: 392
October 07, 2013, 08:34:20 AM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 06, 2013, 11:52:05 PM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin
October 02, 2013, 08:30:46 PM
This made my day, I think it's good for BTC in general, as authority now understand that BTC are'nt as anonymous they might tought it was.. And this also made my day because I had some buy order pending for few months on CaVirtex, and they almost all got filled Smiley   bought as low as 81$   Smiley

It JUST happened.....I see btc going down a bit, but rebounding.  Might be a nice time to buy
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
October 02, 2013, 08:26:59 PM
Can someone explain how they managed to identify his server running a Tor service? From there on it seems straight forward, they got access to the server through a request with the LE in the host country.

Anyone?
Activity: 476
October 02, 2013, 08:24:32 PM
The vital piece of information for me is the bank account wire. I can't see that being easy to fabricate.

The bank wire could be real and they massaged the back story to their benefit. Old trick. I put nothing past people that think it's acceptable to spy on the whole planet.

an innocent person will be imprisoned by the government and that the free market has been interfered with

Yep. That's what The State does.
Activity: 280
October 02, 2013, 08:22:39 PM
To be fair, the second person who the hit was placed on was blackmailing him heavy for half a million dollars. Not to say that justifies a killing in any way, when you are dealing with shady business, you will get shady results.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
October 02, 2013, 08:19:36 PM
It's tragic that an innocent person will be inprisoned by the government and that the free market has been interfered with, but I'm confident that an even better Silk Road will appear in the near future.

Yeah, that poor innocent man that only ordered two hits on people to be killed.  Sad

What's the world coming to when you can't even have people killed that threaten your business?
Activity: 360
October 02, 2013, 08:18:06 PM
My short definition of murder: an unjustified killing.
Pages:
Jump to: