Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1658. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Manateeeeeeees
September 16, 2013, 08:42:38 PM
One thing is clear. When it comes to the single most important factor in manufacture of a bitcoin mining device (adhering to a projected delivery schedule) KnC did not "over deliver."

Well, I don't really see how that is clear - if they ship even a day before their target date, that's over-delivering in my book.  AFAIK we haven't passed that deadline yet.
Activity: 574
Mining for the hell of it.
September 16, 2013, 08:42:01 PM
Hmmm this is how i feel.

Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
September 16, 2013, 08:39:45 PM
Some insider info:
* Knc will not ship before November
* Cointerra is a red haring, no significant capacity to come from them before Q2/2014
Inside what?  I'll be interested to see how your predictions play out.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
September 16, 2013, 08:31:45 PM
One thing is clear. When it comes to the single most important factor in manufacture of a bitcoin mining device (adhering to a projected delivery schedule) KnC did not "over deliver."
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
September 16, 2013, 08:25:10 PM
Quote from: SAM@Knc
There are two weeks left and we still believe that we will ship boxes this month.
 If we miss this deadline it will be very upsetting for us.

Quoted for future trolling/bashing.

You just gave me the best logo idea:

Mining a block every two weeks™
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
September 16, 2013, 08:21:29 PM
Some insider info:
* Knc will not ship before November
* Cointerra is a red haring, no significant capacity to come from them before Q2/2014
* The current big players are http://www.alydian.co and http://www.bitfury.org/, who bring large chip farms in house in a professional colo environment.

What matters most next few months is not the capacity shipped but the capacity deployed. Even if KNC ships 5K boxes to right now, expect for them to take weeks to get fully deployed and there will be constant outages (residential internet went down, power lost at the basement, etc)

On the other hand one receives 100TH worth of silicon and brings them online in one day - it's there to stay and you can see the vertical spikes on the difficulty charts
Activity: 574
Mining for the hell of it.
September 16, 2013, 08:18:13 PM
And just think people were bitching about this

Activity: 728
cryptoshark
September 16, 2013, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: SAM@Knc
There are two weeks left and we still believe that we will ship boxes this month.
 If we miss this deadline it will be very upsetting for us.

Quoted for future trolling/bashing.
Activity: 446
Merit: 250
September 16, 2013, 04:43:08 PM
When i e-mailed Sam last night to ask about the chips.  And the process,  He didn't give out to much information.  But responded quickly.   Not much we can do right now.  But sit back and wait.  Or ask for a refund.  Me i have waited this long i will wait another two weeks and go from there my self.  But if anyone was interested in his response here it is.  

"
Hi

Everything is still on track. The Chips are only about 10% of the design. People think that the complexity is ALL in the chip which it’s not, They are a VERY important part that’s for sure but not the only important part.

The boards are actually a very complicated part of the design and the on board controller takes many more man hours to develop than the chips. We have 25 staff here at KnC all working towards the same goal in many different departments. There is a lot going on, and so far all departments are on track. There are two weeks left and we still believe that we will ship boxes this month.

Rest assured that we are here and working towards the goal as fast as we can. If we miss this deadline it will be very upsetting for us but so far I know of nothing that is likely to cause us to miss our deadline.

Thanks,
Sam
Med vänlig hälsning  |  Best regards
Sam Cole
Kncminer
www.kncminer.com
Office: +46 8559 253 20"

Why don't we organise every buyer of KNC products to all email Sam or whomever at the same time. By doing this we can take up more of their time with inane banal questions.
Activity: 616
September 16, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
You can still place orders for December or choose January. Supposedly their production line is outsourced, semi-automated, capable of several thousand units a day. Supposedly are also looking to open it up to credit card payments as well.

Similar to KNC, Cointerra has some hard hitting engineers on the team.

Still, any preorder with any company is a gamble. No company should be compared to BFL unless they've proven themselves a scam. That's just unnatural.
legendary
Activity: 804
Merit: 1002
September 16, 2013, 02:16:41 PM
I wouldn't write-off Cointerra too quickly. I'm a big fan of KNC, but with equal research/questioning/etc about Cointerra, I like them as well.

In my questions to KNC regarding future product to cover the growth of the network, they've hinted at not making any TH machines for the next generation, but looking more toward discounts to loyal customers. Honestly, TH is going to be the new GH in a matter of weeks. Case in point, if you don't get KNC equipment by October, you may as well not order their products even with the current discount, due to hash/difficulty. Cointerra, of all the TH prospects, is the best bet as of this second.

Not to mention, it wouldn't make sense for some of their staff to leave corporate positions to form this company, if they didn't plan on at least shipping products.

Sure. I fully trust a company who is that late to the game and takes preorders 5 months in advance for a second batch of units when they have no payment options except bitcoin and wire transfer. Sounds like BFL 2.0 to me.
Activity: 236
Merit: 100
September 16, 2013, 01:58:14 PM
http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/hardware/2091-please-update

Good.  Glad they said it publicly.

Of course the proof is still in the pudding, but it would be a bad sign if they'd stayed silent and evasive.

My "refund" Defcon goes from 4 to 5.   Cheesy
Activity: 616
September 16, 2013, 01:55:42 PM
I wouldn't write-off Cointerra too quickly. I'm a big fan of KNC, but with equal research/questioning/etc about Cointerra, I like them as well.

In my questions to KNC regarding future product to cover the growth of the network, they've hinted at not making any TH machines for the next generation, but looking more toward discounts to loyal customers. Honestly, TH is going to be the new GH in a matter of weeks. Case in point, if you don't get KNC equipment by October, you may as well not order their products even with the current discount, due to hash/difficulty. Cointerra, of all the TH prospects, is the best bet as of this second.

Not to mention, it wouldn't make sense for some of their staff to leave corporate positions to form this company, if they didn't plan on at least shipping products.
Activity: 824
Merit: 712
September 16, 2013, 01:26:28 PM
When i e-mailed Sam last night to ask about the chips.  And the process,  He didn't give out to much information.  But responded quickly.   Not much we can do right now.  But sit back and wait.  Or ask for a refund.  Me i have waited this long i will wait another two weeks and go from there my self.  But if anyone was interested in his response here it is.  

"
Hi

Everything is still on track. The Chips are only about 10% of the design. People think that the complexity is ALL in the chip which it’s not, They are a VERY important part that’s for sure but not the only important part.

The boards are actually a very complicated part of the design and the on board controller takes many more man hours to develop than the chips. We have 25 staff here at KnC all working towards the same goal in many different departments. There is a lot going on, and so far all departments are on track. There are two weeks left and we still believe that we will ship boxes this month.

Rest assured that we are here and working towards the goal as fast as we can. If we miss this deadline it will be very upsetting for us but so far I know of nothing that is likely to cause us to miss our deadline.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam Cole
Kncminer
www.kncminer.com

Now, that's what I like to hear.  Understanding all of the pieces that go into the miner besides the chip is why KNC will succeed even if they are a little late and others will continue to fail over and over again.  I feel sorry for anyone who put money into hashfast or cointerra.

Activity: 111
September 16, 2013, 01:19:07 PM
New "update" from Sam on the KnC forums. Notice how he mentions components but not chip production status

Hi guys,

We are still on track, The millions of individual components needed to produce our miners are all arriving at the factory as schedualed and as of right now we do not know of anything that will cause a delay.

Sam

oh give me a break, to an engineer chips are components. synonym.

(edit: posted before reading the message above)
I think Sam's point is that there's maybe a little too much focus on the chips.  A shortage of Voltage regulators or any other device could bring production to the same halt, and there's no reason to believe that ANY of the diodes, resistors, caps, coils, connectors, fans, cables, cases, fasteners, etc. are not going to meet at the meticulously planned but 'secret to a fault' time and place....  Or, maybe he's just setting us up for a year long string of two week delays.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
September 16, 2013, 01:18:44 PM

"
Hi

Thanks,
Sam
Sam Cole
Kncminer
www.kncminer.com
Activity: 106
September 16, 2013, 01:12:46 PM
Had a nice chat with Carl. He was very talkative:

...And no details at all?

Nope Smiley
Thanks for this info cyper, I appreciate it!
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
September 16, 2013, 12:56:24 PM
New "update" from Sam on the KnC forums. Notice how he mentions components but not chip production status

Hi guys,

We are still on track, The millions of individual components needed to produce our miners are all arriving at the factory as schedualed and as of right now we do not know of anything that will cause a delay.

Sam

oh give me a break, to an engineer chips are components. synonym.
Activity: 242
Merit: 250
September 16, 2013, 12:50:08 PM

Hi guys,

Sam
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
September 16, 2013, 12:47:58 PM
Had a nice chat with Carl. He was very talkative:

...And no details at all?

Nope Smiley
Jump to: