Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1801. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501
August 21, 2013, 07:59:14 PM
They already have.  September.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 21, 2013, 07:57:01 PM
It's positive they keep bringing some news. Just wish they would give more info on their expected delivery date, a month or two can make a huge difference.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
August 21, 2013, 07:38:47 PM
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
August 21, 2013, 06:20:01 PM
I would love to see an episode of "how its made" on asics.
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
August 21, 2013, 06:16:14 PM
The people who "Jumped ship" are probably regretting it now I'd imagine.

That's a super-sexy PCB...  At first I was wanting to trade my Saturns for Jupiters (Not possible I was told by Liam today); but now, after today's announcement, I'm more than happy with choosing multiple Saturns over Jupiter, because of the very last line on the announcement reads: "( The controller board also has and expansion for additional linux devices for future upgrade/ second generation)"Which means (I think) that I'll be able to purchase the Gen2 boards, and mount them inside existing Saturns... Possibly turning a Gen1 Saturn into a Gen2 Jupiter.... or even a 50/50 split...2 gen1 & 2 gen2 boards..Am I right along this kind of thinking?

You may be able to move 2 modules over yourself if you are so inclined. (exit warranty)

One advantage with 2 units you'll have is onsite spares for everything except hashing modules.

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
August 21, 2013, 04:49:46 PM
The over engineering reduces the need for costly delays.   Had BFL done that even with all their other problems/lies customers would have gotten their rigs months earlier.
BFL's chips turned out 6 times worse than the estimated ratings. Nobody over engineers that much  Wink

True it provides some latitude but you can't fix stupid.   BFL just "should" have known better (especially when FPGA were nearly 300% over power spec).  Still it would have allowed them to launch reduced hashing power boards in 2012 while working on a new design. 

That is what I never got why they didn't just release back in Nov. Everyone body would have taken half their hash rate in a heartbeat. My guess is power the consumption was only a small part of the truth.

legendary
Activity: 938
LIR DEV
August 21, 2013, 04:44:57 PM
The people who "Jumped ship" are probably regretting it now I'd imagine.

That's a super-sexy PCB...  At first I was wanting to trade my Saturns for Jupiters (Not possible I was told by Liam today); but now, after today's announcement, I'm more than happy with choosing multiple Saturns over Jupiter, because of the very last line on the announcement reads: "( The controller board also has and expansion for additional linux devices for future upgrade/ second generation)"Which means (I think) that I'll be able to purchase the Gen2 boards, and mount them inside existing Saturns... Possibly turning a Gen1 Saturn into a Gen2 Jupiter.... or even a 50/50 split...2 gen1 & 2 gen2 boards..Am I right along this kind of thinking?
Activity: 778
Merit: 563
Activity: 462
August 21, 2013, 03:14:33 PM
Hey MODERATOR

if you want to ban my jokes about BFL on a KNCMINER thread then BAN all the BFL and other junk that filled up 340+ pages here!  OK?

do your job right or stay out!!
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 21, 2013, 02:36:57 PM
none of it matters, again, you either trust them, or you don't.
Kiss my ass. I'm glad when someone takes the time to explain things in detail. Understanding is better than trust.
Although I'd never "Kiss your ass"(unless you are a beautiful woman), I can see your point.. But my point is simply that too many folks are analyzing stuff they know almost nothing about, then making definitive statements based on assumption & guesses, then spreading it as if it's gospel. Even Hashfast got it wrong in their "Why we're better than KNC" post. See my point?

Ladies, chill...Tongue Allowing the likes of D&T the freedom to express an iterative understanding of how and why certain design elements have been chosen just validates this project further. What I relayed was only one element from personal experience and having a sensible head upon my shoulders when approaching secured funding.

What I relayed from the openday to be fair still required a leap of trust, which is why there has been all the BS unfounded speculation as to my assumed intentions, although less so if you undertook your own research in addition.

Still cheesy, but what the hell, it'll annoy the crap out of the trolls; http://youtu.be/FPQlXNH36mI Wink
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 02:22:19 PM
The over engineering reduces the need for costly delays.   Had BFL done that even with all their other problems/lies customers would have gotten their rigs months earlier.
BFL's chips turned out 6 times worse than the estimated ratings. Nobody over engineers that much  Wink

True it provides some latitude but you can't fix stupid.   BFL just "should" have known better (especially when FPGA were nearly 300% over power spec).  Still it would have allowed them to launch reduced hashing power boards in 2012 while working on a new design. 
legendary
LIR DEV
August 21, 2013, 02:10:00 PM
Kiss my ass. I'm glad when someone takes the time to explain things in detail. Understanding is better than trust.
Although I'd never "Kiss your ass"(unless you are a beautiful woman), I can see your point.. But my point is simply that too many folks are analyzing stuff they know almost nothing about, then making definitive statements based on assumption & guesses, then spreading it as if it's gospel. Even Hashfast got it wrong in their "Why we're better than KNC" post. See my point?
Activity: 616
August 21, 2013, 02:07:33 PM
BFL's chips turned out 6 times worse than the estimated ratings. Nobody over engineers that much  Wink
Activity: 616
August 21, 2013, 02:03:28 PM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 02:01:14 PM
The diagram in your post shows two DC supplies per quad for a total of 8 just like the PCB.  Still KNC indicated again they don't expect more than 250W nominal.  Using DC PSU capable of 320W is smart though as it gives 70W extra of tolerance.  A large portion of BFL's delay was their chips used more power than expected and thus they had to redesign the boards, buy new DC PSU, upgrade the cooling, etc.  

While nobody wants the chips to come out over power spec, worst case scenario say the KNC chips come in "hot" using 270W instead of 250W.  Not a big deal.  The board and heatsinks can already handle up to 320W without breaking a sweat.  No components need to be changed. Sure 250W is better than 270W but no delays is more important than delays.   The over engineering reduces the need for costly delays.   Had BFL done that even with all their other problems/lies customers would have gotten their rigs months earlier.
legendary
LIR DEV
August 21, 2013, 01:58:52 PM
BTW the PCB now has 8 DC/DC modules to meet the 300W+ requirements if necessary, but their design (see image) seemed to have only 4, so 40AMPS @ 0.9V * 4 = 144W, maybe they added the extra modules to have more room, but we may have good news on the power draw area

Actually, If you look a little closer, It DOES show 2
 dc/dc converters per chip, for a total of 8. 
lol
Activity: 242
August 21, 2013, 01:53:50 PM
BTW the PCB now has 8 DC/DC modules to meet the 300W+ requirements if necessary, but their design (see image) seemed to have only 4, so 40AMPS @ 0.9V * 4 = 144W, maybe they added the extra modules to have more room, but we may have good news on the power draw area

Activity: 280
Hell?
August 21, 2013, 01:48:09 PM
there is a canadacomputers.com shop down the street. ill be driving down there the day of delivery for a psu. no biggie. lol
Jump to: