Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1802. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 21, 2013, 01:44:13 PM
Fight Fight Fight FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT 

This is entertaining, and none of it matters, again, you either trust them, or you don't...

Well it does matter if you want to make sure your PSU will be able to supply that power without waiting till the last minute. Smiley

PSUs!!!

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
August 21, 2013, 01:36:20 PM

This is entertaining, and none of it matters, again, you either trust them, or you don't...

Well it does matter if you want to make sure your PSU will be able to supply that power without waiting till the last minute. Smiley

You really think they would overlook wattage on connectors?
No.  That wasn't the point.
I'm missing the point totally then, because I certainly had all the info I needed to choose power supplies weeks ago
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
August 21, 2013, 01:35:16 PM
fight fight
where is the asic   chip

please. just stop this.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004
August 21, 2013, 01:34:45 PM
fight fight
where is the asic   chip
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 01:30:17 PM

You really think they would overlook wattage on connectors?
No.  That wasn't the point.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
August 21, 2013, 01:29:47 PM

This is entertaining, and none of it matters, again, you either trust them, or you don't...I wish everyone would stop being armchair designers... I'm sure they know what their doing... You really think they would overlook wattage on connectors?

Bumping on good news -> good for KNC Smiley

No red flags.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 21, 2013, 01:24:08 PM

This is entertaining, and none of it matters, again, you either trust them, or you don't...I wish everyone would stop being armchair designers... I'm sure they know what their doing... You really think they would overlook wattage on connectors?

Bumping on good news -> good for KNC Smiley
legendary
LIR DEV
August 21, 2013, 01:17:50 PM

donator
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 01:17:35 PM
What the wires could handle has nothing to do with the amperage the connector could handle.  Also, using wattage is misleading, the same connector can handle double the wattage at doubled voltage.  You're spreading misinformation.

I never said the wires indicate the amperage the connector can handle.  Not sure where you got that from.  It is already established the connector can handle more current than is necessary, 324W (27A @ 12VDC).  However just because the connector can handle 324W (27A @ 12VDC) doesn't mean you will be able to pull 324W (27A @ 12VDC) unless the PSU can deliver that much power TO the connector.  The layout of the PSU connectors matters, it shows what current the PSU can safely deliver on that set of wires.  Multiple connectors on a single wire in series indicate that the PSU can deliver at least the combined current required by the ATX/PCIe standard for all those connectors.  For two 2 pin connectors that is 300W (25A @ 12VDC). 

"Sorry" (not really) about using only using watts without specifying voltage but I was pretty sure everyone knows we are talking about 12VDC here.  So so nobody remains "confused" I updated that post and this one, making them longer by repeating the voltage over and over.
donator
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 01:15:09 PM
So can we establish how big the ASIC chip is from this image?
Forgive me if that was answered already Smiley

Yes you can estimate it from any component with a known size (Altera Cyclon IV, GE DC power modules, 6 pin Minifit Jr connector, etc).
However it isn't necessary they have already indicated the package will be 55mm x 55mm (the lid is 43mm x 43mm).

They have also indicated the BGA layout here, which obviously doesn't correspond with the PCB, so no.

Hmm interesting.  Well doing a pixel count of devices with known dimensions (power connector, GE DC modules, Cyclone IV) and comparing them to the package area it looks like the package will still be ~55mm square (+/- 2mm because pixel counts aren't exact).  So the prior 55mm/43mm spec is probably still being used.  Maybe they just lowered the pin count.
August 21, 2013, 01:08:49 PM
If you look closely at a ATX PSU you will notice (layouts vary) it is common to have both a 6 pin AND 8 pin connector on the same set of wires in serial.  Obviously that means the PSU must be able to deliver at least 75W + 150W = 225W on that set of wires...

What the wires could handle has nothing to do with the amperage the connector could handle.  Also, using wattage is misleading, the same connector can handle double the wattage at doubled voltage.  You're spreading misinformation.
donator
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 01:04:57 PM
By the way, the same current goes in and out so only 3 pins for 9A = 324W (hope I'm not wrong again)

That is correct.  3 12VDC pins @ 9A ea = 324W max.

It is the same for the 8 pin PCIe connector as the extra two pins just contain extra grounds.  So 6 pin connector = 3 12VDC & 3 ground, 8 pin connector = 3 12VDC & 5 grounds. They extra two grounds are used as a "ground sense" by PCIe devices that is how a GPU "knows" not to power on if you only connect a 6 pin connector to an 8 pin slot.
August 21, 2013, 01:04:34 PM

Yes you can estimate it from any component with a known size (Altera Cyclon IV, GE DC power modules, 6 pin Minifit Jr connector, etc).
However it isn't necessary they have already indicated the package will be 55mm x 55mm (the lid is 43mm x 43mm).

They have also indicated the BGA layout here, which obviously doesn't correspond with the PCB, so no.
donator
Gerald Davis
August 21, 2013, 12:57:02 PM

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 21, 2013, 12:51:33 PM
Each Minifit Jr pin is good to at least 9A, depending on the series it can go as high as 13A.

P=IV

6 pin connector * 9A * 12V = 648W max, so 320W is well within spec.
Okay, thanks. I was wrong, obviously Smiley

By the way, the same current goes in and out so only 3 pins for 9A = 324W (hope I'm not wrong again)

Nope, you're not wrong at all - that's a good point.
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
August 21, 2013, 12:48:56 PM
Is it wrong for me to want these guys to succede just because i loved the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo movies? Huh
Activity: 616
August 21, 2013, 12:48:45 PM
Each Minifit Jr pin is good to at least 9A, depending on the series it can go as high as 13A.

P=IV

6 pin connector * 9A * 12V = 648W max, so 320W is well within spec.
Okay, thanks. I was wrong, obviously Smiley

legendary
LIR DEV
August 21, 2013, 12:47:30 PM
it will cover the entire center area where you see space for 4 altera's
Activity: 532
August 21, 2013, 12:46:28 PM
Good news, looks like quality all the way.

So if I understand correct there will be 4 of these boards connected to a one board (the main PCB) inside the case and each of the smaller boards will have one ASIC chips on it, right?

Then why are there 4 slots for chips per PCB?

The chip pictured is only they as reference to overall size as it's a known component.

Let me ask again:

So if I understand correct there will be 4 of these boards connected to a one board (the main PCB) inside the case and each of the smaller boards will have one ASIC chips on it, right?

no the asic chip will take up all 4 of those areas.

So the single asic chip will have 4 areas with pins under, so it fits perfectly in these 4 places?

I believe so.

Yes, as I said use the known Altera chip as a reference size wise.
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 21, 2013, 12:45:36 PM
Good news, looks like quality all the way.

The chip pictured is only they as reference to overall size as it's a known component.

Let me ask again:

no the asic chip will take up all 4 of those areas.

So the single asic chip will have 4 areas with pins under, so it fits perfectly in these 4 places?

I believe so.

Jump to: