Pages:
Author

Topic: The 2.0 throwdown thread - page 11. (Read 20956 times)

Activity: 715
Merit: 500
August 16, 2015, 02:41:42 PM
For Nxt initial distribution, it was to exactly 73 participants.
Activity: 56
Merit: 6
August 16, 2015, 02:31:01 PM
@jwinterm

I'm not sure what you mean by decentralized applications. In my understanding, asset exchange, voting system, marketplace, messaging, etc, are all example of decentralized applications.

Do you mean decentralized applications made by "third party" on top of the system in question?

Yea, I guess that just seemed to be the big selling point of ETH (and XCR), so I tacked it on there. But, it seems like having automated transactions is essentially the same thing. So, maybe I should remove that line, or change it to something else. I'm very open to suggestions (and explanations).

CounterParty has decentralized applications in that context. Right from the get go.. automated transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016
August 16, 2015, 02:17:26 PM
NEM

Market pegged assets - Yes
Encrypted message - Yes

Other features:

Asset backed by another crypto asset - Yes
mutable quantity assets - yes
Time to live assets (with expiration) - yes
August 16, 2015, 02:14:34 PM
@jwinterm

If you want to add
http://www.instantdex.org/
on the list of Nxt dApps example.
I just ask jl777 the dev leader of instandex and he says that it will be fully decentralized with the additional possiblity to trade centralized thing. It is build on top of Nxt.

This is an underdevelopment project, not yet release.

Quote from supernet slack:

sebastien256 [7:59 PM]
Will instantdex be fully decentralized on launch? Or possible only later?

sebastien256 [8:03 PM]
@jl777, I would a direct confirmation from you.

jl777 [8:04 PM]
there is no centralized instantdex model, it will be fully decentralized

jl777 [8:04 PM]
however it will allow trading of centralized things

jl777 [8:05 PM]
so not sure if that violates your "fully decentralized" requirement
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1102
August 16, 2015, 02:00:25 PM
Updated again. Would like to put examples of what decentralized apps exist (as well as examples of the exchanges, asset creation, etc.), so if you know of them, and especially if you links, please share Smiley

Could you change "Anonymous transaction" to "Privacy Features" ?

I think it reflects more what they offer (Coinjoin / Stealth Addresses)

I hope to see Shadow meeting the requirements soon Wink

Good idea. I will update in my spreadsheet now, so next time I upload it will reflect, probably later tonight.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
August 16, 2015, 01:59:22 PM
Updated again. Would like to put examples of what decentralized apps exist (as well as examples of the exchanges, asset creation, etc.), so if you know of them, and especially if you links, please share Smiley

Could you change "Anonymous transaction" to "Privacy Features" ?

I think it reflects more what they offer (Coinjoin / Stealth Addresses)

I hope to see Shadow meeting the requirements soon Wink
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:54:02 PM
Activity: 606
August 16, 2015, 01:51:38 PM

I'm not a fan of shadowcoin, and not sure about whether the market is really decentralized. I believe it is in wallet, but is it just run on a server somewhere?

If you want to call eth a scam, I'd say shadow distribution was more of a scam. I'd rather see an ICO followed by PoW than ninja mine all coins in a few days and then go to PoS, but this thread isn't about casting judgment on distribution methods, just comparing coins.

Maid seems like vaporware to me. I'll be happy to add it if it ever comes off test network.

I agree re: nxt, but it was really the first 2.0, so should definitely be in the table.

Sorry it's Shadow, and the "coin" is ShadowCash  Wink. (see https://github.com/ShadowProject)

The market will be decentralized, it will run on ShadowChat (decentralized encrypted messaging system), and will use the anonymous features of ShadowCash to do payments & escrow.

nb : about the distribution I'm also more into ico distribution than pow ... (and it would have helped a lot to fund the development ...)

I prefer PoW, just not when all of the coins are mined within a few days of launch. Anyway, SDC is based on BTC codebase (Blackcoin, apparently), right? I know they've added ring signatures, but I have a hard time calling it a 2.0 when it's forked (in)directly from 1.0, and it doesn't (yet) offer decentralized markets/apps/exchanges/etc. If I add SDC on the basis of anonymity and messaging, then I should add Digital/Dark/Ducknote as well, right? Anyway, I'll consider it after I get a chance to look into the market feature I bit more. I'm leaning towards removing NuShares, so maybe I'll replace it with Shadow.

I don't think it meets the requirements to be called a 2.0 platform, yet.
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:49:14 PM

I'm not a fan of shadowcoin, and not sure about whether the market is really decentralized. I believe it is in wallet, but is it just run on a server somewhere?

If you want to call eth a scam, I'd say shadow distribution was more of a scam. I'd rather see an ICO followed by PoW than ninja mine all coins in a few days and then go to PoS, but this thread isn't about casting judgment on distribution methods, just comparing coins.

Maid seems like vaporware to me. I'll be happy to add it if it ever comes off test network.

I agree re: nxt, but it was really the first 2.0, so should definitely be in the table.

Sorry it's Shadow, and the "coin" is ShadowCash  Wink. (see https://github.com/ShadowProject)

The market will be decentralized, it will run on ShadowChat (decentralized encrypted messaging system), and will use the anonymous features of ShadowCash to do payments & escrow.

nb : about the distribution I'm also more into ico distribution than pow ... (and it would have helped a lot to fund the development ...)

I prefer PoW, just not when all of the coins are mined within a few days of launch. Anyway, SDC is based on BTC codebase (Blackcoin, apparently), right? I know they've added ring signatures, but I have a hard time calling it a 2.0 when it's forked (in)directly from 1.0, and it doesn't (yet) offer decentralized markets/apps/exchanges/etc. If I add SDC on the basis of anonymity and messaging, then I should add Digital/Dark/Ducknote as well, right? Anyway, I'll consider it after I get a chance to look into the market feature I bit more. I'm leaning towards removing NuShares, so maybe I'll replace it with Shadow.
Activity: 111
Merit: 15
Eat, sleep, code, repeat.
August 16, 2015, 01:48:09 PM
I'd also like to ShadowCash added to the list!

Seems to fit as 2.0, is has some features mentioned in that list  Smiley
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:42:41 PM

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
August 16, 2015, 01:36:21 PM
its up there somewhere

I like aeon, but there is at the moment no use of the limited scripting capabilities of cryptonote afaik. By 2.0 I mean capable of decentralized exchanges, markets, applications, etc.

aeon does not have scripting abilities but should be considered for 2.0 status because it is designed for iot and embedded device pow. which is important. <-- not 2.0 ffmad corrected me along with wheat.

sdc was launched twice because of a ninja miner the first time but that mistake is frequently made. Relaunches should be considered more often *cough eth*...An in wallet marketplace is coming and you should check out what shadowgo is projected to be. You might like it. I think a good amount of people have the wrong idea about shadow. MOST IMPORTANT TO THIS DISCUSSION THOUGH IS SDT!!!

i agree on maid and on nxt.

I'll leave distribution methods out i guess... but i think that is the most important part and people are glossing over it. People are getting trapped every day.
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:34:02 PM
I suggest adding Shadow (Project) : https://github.com/ShadowProject

- supply : 6,5 M coins
- initial distribution : POW then switch to POS
- Valisation scheme : POS

it has :

- encrypted messaging
- blockchain multisig
- anonymous transaction

in work :

- marketplace (decentralized & anonymous)

About anonymous transactions, Bitshares or NXT don't have it, they only have "more private transactions" than bitcoin (stealth & coinjoin).

Shadow has ring signatures (like cryptonote coins have, but on a bitcoin like blockchain), which is really anonymous.

What do you mean by "decentralized applications" ? (encrypted messaging is a decentralized app)
August 16, 2015, 01:27:09 PM
@jwinterm

I'm not sure what you mean by decentralized applications. In my understanding, asset exchange, voting system, marketplace, messaging, etc, are all example of decentralized applications.

Do you mean decentralized applications made by "third party" on top of the system in question?

Yea, I guess that just seemed to be the big selling point of ETH (and XCR), so I tacked it on there. But, it seems like having automated transactions is essentially the same thing. So, maybe I should remove that line, or change it to something else. I'm very open to suggestions (and explanations).

Nxt has a plugin system where everyone can build apps on top of it and integrate their apps in the Nxt wallet.

For example, we have a complete decentralized plugin:
File sharing plugin https://nxtforum.org/nxt-plugins/file-sharing-plugin-v0-2/

We also have plugin that connect to third party web services:
Shapeshift integration plugin https://nxtforum.org/nxt-plugins/shapeshift-integration-plugin/
tothemoon plugin : https://nxtforum.org/nxt-plugins/nxtbubble-com-nxt-plugin-download-play-directly-in-nrs-1-5-x-clients-9127/
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:27:02 PM
You should remove scam coins and add fair launch coins.

imo btc 2.0 consists of the following:

aeon - mobile friendly version of xmr lightweight as hell cryptonite pow which would be good for iot chips and low power embedded devices. I am buying this all day long right now and have been since smooth took over.

sdc - sdt conversion erasing history an important step in obfuscation along with ring sig and other goodies; the market will create a real world use for it and boom goes the dynamite. ShadowGo is out of control neato as well. I buy this regularly

maybe eth if they actually create a better miner and wallet... but since it only costs 18c to mine right now and they sell for 1.50... that should show you that no one wants to mine it because it is a pain in the ass to mine and move. but as more eth hits the market the saturation will be too tempting for the wallets holding millions and people will dump. the curse of an ICO that even printed 12 million late in the game. I was hoping for a revolution and got a rotten vagina instead. bought it at .002 because i saw a pump coming and dumped at .007. This coin has big money in it so riding the fomo/whale waves isn't horrible if you are safe about it. ride the momentum.

xcp - the burn is concerning. not exactly sure that burning btc really does anything for anyone but I think that if genesis actually drops and the card game blows up and some other stuff happens it could be absolutely nuts. people will build on eth because it is easier but people will build on xcp because it wasn't a scam from the get like eth. But maybe eth was just rushed to launch because they ran out of money.

maid - I want maid to work so bad just for the rollback/refund/safety abilities of this coin and they have some dm plans? this one is one to watch but not buy yet.

also i dont think nxt is ever going to gain any real traction.

I like aeon, but there is at the moment no use of the limited scripting capabilities of cryptonote afaik. By 2.0 I mean capable of decentralized exchanges, markets, applications, etc.

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
August 16, 2015, 01:24:21 PM
Applications such as Nxt FreeMarket http://nxtfreemarket.com/ , the Multigateway http://multigateway.org/ , and the FreeBird decentralized twitter I previously mentioned run on top of the Nxt blockchain, using its API to store and retrieve data. The MGW does use a few servers run by operators, the others are fully decentralized, as far as I know.
legendary
August 16, 2015, 01:21:30 PM
@jwinterm

August 16, 2015, 01:11:50 PM
@jwinterm

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
August 16, 2015, 01:11:27 PM
You should remove scam coins and add fair launch coins.

imo btc 2.0 consists of the following:

aeon - mobile friendly version of xmr lightweight as hell cryptonite pow which would be good for iot chips and low power embedded devices. I am buying this all day long right now and have been since smooth took over.

sdc - sdt conversion erasing history an important step in obfuscation along with ring sig and other goodies; the market will create a real world use for it and boom goes the dynamite. ShadowGo is out of control neato as well. I buy this regularly

maybe eth if they actually create a better miner and wallet... but since it only costs 18c to mine right now and they sell for 1.50... that should show you that no one wants to mine it because it is a pain in the ass to mine and move. but as more eth hits the market the saturation will be too tempting for the wallets holding millions and people will dump. the curse of an ICO that even printed 12 million late in the game. I was hoping for a revolution and got a rotten vagina instead. bought it at .002 because i saw a pump coming and dumped at .007. This coin has big money in it so riding the fomo/whale waves isn't horrible if you are safe about it. ride the momentum.

xcp - the burn is concerning. not exactly sure that burning btc really does anything for anyone but I think that if genesis actually drops and the card game blows up and some other stuff happens it could be absolutely nuts. people will build on eth because it is easier but people will build on xcp because it wasn't a scam from the get like eth. But maybe eth was just rushed to launch because they ran out of money.

maid - I want maid to work so bad just for the rollback/refund/safety abilities of this coin and they have some dm plans? this one is one to watch but not buy yet.

also i dont think nxt is ever going to gain any real traction.
legendary
August 16, 2015, 12:44:04 PM
There are still some things wrong regarding Qora:
Encrypted messaging already possible
Asset Exchange possible ( afaik the only one that has asset to asset trading pairs)
decentralized applications possible

Possible means it exists right now, or could exist sometime in the future? Is someone working on them if they don't exist?

exists right now and can be already used!

OK, updated. Could you provide some links to examples of the decentralized apps? That's not something I've heard of in the context of the NXT family.

First of all Qora is not part of the Nxt family Smiley. Nxt is really awesome, but it has nothing to do with Qora, Qora is completly written from scratch and is no clone or sibling of Nxt.
Regarding decentralized applications:
We introduced NameStorage in the last release which e.g. allows users to create interactive websites of arbitrary length on the blockchain. Through api (and that way through any blockchain website) you can write and read arbitrary data to the blockchain and use this as data storage for any application. If you combine this with automated transactions you have the possibility to create an own decentralized interactive crowdfunding website or make e.g. an own interface for ACCT! These are just examples the possibilities are endless.
Currently this is a little cumbersome, the next release will make this even easier and will also have some nice examples build by us.
I have already created an own send money panel, which is completly decentralized (so if someone copies the code of the website to his own website this will work too!).
That panel can be seen here and will be available in next version:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12089928

Coolyo Smiley Thanks for the clarification!
Pages:
Jump to: