Pages:
Author

Topic: The problem with atheism. - page 6. (Read 38463 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 506
May 09, 2017, 12:36:09 PM
Gentlemen,

I want to thank you all for interesting thoughts you have come up with. Ranging from "faith is as important as air for human beings" to "religions is poison and its followers zombies". Frankly, little can be decided by words as ultimately the choice is yours. Every single one of us was born with free will.

May I present to you far more earthly and mundane question?

If atheism and the lack of faith is the answer of future... why is natural selection and evolution choosing against atheists? It applies globally and regionally, across races and incomes and education. Religious people have more children that (within same socioeconomic group) live longer, healthier and especially for certain groups (mormons, evangelicals, jews) attain higher educational archievement, than either atheists or population average.

This is not about philosophy. It is pure statistics and reason backed by numbers. I am eager to hear your thoughts.

United nations predictions for 2025:

From the evolutionary perspective, our descendants may look on atheism the same way we look today at ancient greek pantheon. Inspiring but ultimately pointless exercise and dead end.

Activity: 33
Merit: 0
May 09, 2017, 09:16:42 AM
Every person on the planet have right to believe what they want. Either that be God, or they believe that God does not exist, or maybe they believe in teachings of Buddha, it is all the same to the world. What is important in life is not do you believe in good or now, it is important not to cause suffering to other people and even more important that this one before is that you are happy with you life. There is nothing more to this mortal life than that...

Right. You can believe in anything only so that it does not harm others and not impose your own way of life on someone.
What do you ever seen believers who do not impose their faith to others? Every religion encourages its parishioners for what they bring to them new people. So they always try to impose the religion of others and to appease this God of his.

Yes, all the deeply religious people become obsessed with attracting new victims for the observance of their religion. It's horrible.
It reminds me of drug addiction. Every addict in my life involves the process of drug abuse a lot of other people. And people's reaction to drug use and religion are very similar. May be religion is the opium of the people?
Activity: 1372
Merit: 503
May 09, 2017, 09:12:48 AM
The real problem with atheism is they don't believe in existance of god where they have their own belief on their self and their self confidence is over the wall there thiking that they smart like other sciencetist that proves all are created by science not gods or they believed that all of the story are myth.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
May 09, 2017, 09:11:01 AM
Every person on the planet have right to believe what they want. Either that be God, or they believe that God does not exist, or maybe they believe in teachings of Buddha, it is all the same to the world. What is important in life is not do you believe in good or now, it is important not to cause suffering to other people and even more important that this one before is that you are happy with you life. There is nothing more to this mortal life than that...

Right. You can believe in anything only so that it does not harm others and not impose your own way of life on someone.
What do you ever seen believers who do not impose their faith to others? Every religion encourages its parishioners for what they bring to them new people. So they always try to impose the religion of others and to appease this God of his.

Yes, all the deeply religious people become obsessed with attracting new victims for the observance of their religion. It's horrible.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 09, 2017, 08:27:53 AM

The only difference with the atheist is, his god is himself. And he often doesn't even realize this consciously.

Cool
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
May 09, 2017, 08:03:00 AM

legendary
May 09, 2017, 07:52:22 AM

The question doesn't have to do with the right to believe. It doesn't even have to do with the free choice of what to believe. It has to do with people not really knowing what they believe.

For example. Who is an atheist? The only atheist is a person who has never had the idea of God placed before him. Once the idea of God is placed before him, he stops being an atheist. Why? Because he realizes that he doesn't know everything, and that God might exist somewhere he hasn't examined.

This doesn't mean that the person will stop saying he is an atheist. He might wish that God doesn't exist. He might say he believes God doesn't exist. But he knows that God might exist. And since he knows God might exist somewhere, he doesn't believe the opposite (atheism) even though he might want to.

Cool
Activity: 203
May 09, 2017, 07:17:05 AM

Activity: 560
Merit: 257
May 09, 2017, 06:52:18 AM
Activity: 235
Merit: 250
May 09, 2017, 06:41:46 AM
Life does not have any other meaning other than to survive to the next generation.  There is no grand plan, no heaven in the clouds etc.

In the end, it does not matter what you believe, when we die we die.  There is no life after death no matter what and how hard you believe.

That's where you're wrong.
There is no proof of a great plan or heaven or whatever yeah.
But there is no proof of the contrary either. And it's not like we understand everything in the universe.

There might be a God. It doesn't mean you have to believe in it of course, but it's still a possibility. No need to abide to a dogma your whole life for a possibility though xD
Have you ever seen to evidence that does not exist? The very notion of proof assumes the existence of something you need to prove. This is not an argument. There is no God because there is no evidence of its existence. Agree?

Completely stupid, if that was the case then there was no atoms before 19th century because there was no proof of its existence? It's not because there is no proof of something that it doesn't exist!

Yes, there is not necessarily for everything to be proof. Just people have not yet developed to this level to prove everything.
Activity: 840
Merit: 529
May 09, 2017, 06:19:21 AM
Life does not have any other meaning other than to survive to the next generation.  There is no grand plan, no heaven in the clouds etc.

In the end, it does not matter what you believe, when we die we die.  There is no life after death no matter what and how hard you believe.

But there is no proof of the contrary either. And it's not like we understand everything in the universe.

There might be a God. It doesn't mean you have to believe in it of course, but it's still a possibility. No need to abide to a dogma your whole life for a possibility though xD
Have you ever seen to evidence that does not exist? The very notion of proof assumes the existence of something you need to prove. This is not an argument. There is no God because there is no evidence of its existence. Agree?

Completely stupid, if that was the case then there was no atoms before 19th century because there was no proof of its existence? It's not because there is no proof of something that it doesn't exist!
Activity: 59
Merit: 10
May 09, 2017, 06:15:22 AM

May 09, 2017, 06:08:41 AM

May 09, 2017, 06:06:21 AM
Let me start by making it clear that I am an atheist.

The problem I have with the atheist agenda is that is stops at 'the non existence of God' - the same logic is not applied consistently to the whole of the human condition.

If I examine my life and use this same 'spaghetti monster' logic, I am drawn to the same conclusions about all my actions and activities - they are all as equally pointless and irrational as worshiping God.

If I rationally examine my sense of self I realize that it is just a genetic innovation - it encourages self preservation - genetic selfishness creates a genetically induced illusion of self worth.

My desire to survive is itself as delusional as a belief in God - pain and my fear of pain are a genetically induced survival mechanism I am in thrall to.

If I believe in God and survive then it is no different to not believing in God and surviving - nature will select for survival.

But my actual survival is meaningless whether I believe in God or otherwise.

This is the only conclusion that can be logically formed from a real examination of life.

Atheism is merely another tribal display - a peacock's tail trying to attract a mate through a verbal display of intelligence.

You're not wrong.
In fact when you think about it... Being atheist is as stupid as being religious.
The correct path for a logical human being is NOT atheism but agnostism.
The difference is that atheist means you BELIEVE there is no God... Which is stupid because there is no proof of that (how could there be). The path of being agnostic is better because you say "I don't know if there is a god or not because we lack evidences of God existence but we still have a lots of unexplained misteries". It's the same as atheism but in a more humble way of considering the problem.
Activity: 126
May 09, 2017, 05:56:05 AM
I don't agree. People are not religious in nature. Religion imposed on them from childhood. Those who can't defend their opinion those who take religious dogma. I believe that religion is a poison to humans. The problem is not with atheists but with believers. If a person truly believes in God sooner or later, they become fanatics, and this is bad.

Yes, people since childhood have been imposed religion at the place of birth. But when they grow up, they must understand that God is one, and all religions are only created to control the herd.
Activity: 228
May 09, 2017, 04:34:38 AM
Atheism has nothing to do with evolution not answering these types of questions.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 09, 2017, 03:21:47 AM
I don't agree. People are not religious in nature. Religion imposed on them from childhood. Those who can't defend their opinion those who take religious dogma. I believe that religion is a poison to humans. The problem is not with atheists but with believers. If a person truly believes in God sooner or later, they become fanatics, and this is bad.

I believe in God and I like the color blue. Those thoughts should have no affect on anyone else.
Religions have been the cause of many problems mainly due to their ties to any sort of power used against people. Especially those religions closely intertwined with governments.
Activity: 630
Merit: 272
May 08, 2017, 07:41:30 PM
legendary
May 08, 2017, 05:12:36 PM
So sayeth the prophets.

Atheism, science, government...they are all their own forms of religions with their priests/pastors, bishops, popes, scriptures, dogmas, along with their own ways of dealing with "sinners" that don't follow their commandments.

Kind of, exactly (whatever that means). People are religious beings in all they do and live.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
May 08, 2017, 08:39:01 AM
Let me start by making it clear that I am an atheist.

The problem I have with the atheist agenda is that is stops at 'the non existence of God' - the same logic is not applied consistently to the whole of the human condition.

If I examine my life and use this same 'spaghetti monster' logic, I am drawn to the same conclusions about all my actions and activities - they are all as equally pointless and irrational as worshiping God.

If I rationally examine my sense of self I realize that it is just a genetic innovation - it encourages self preservation - genetic selfishness creates a genetically induced illusion of self worth.

My desire to survive is itself as delusional as a belief in God - pain and my fear of pain are a genetically induced survival mechanism I am in thrall to.

If I believe in God and survive then it is no different to not believing in God and surviving - nature will select for survival.

But my actual survival is meaningless whether I believe in God or otherwise.

This is the only conclusion that can be logically formed from a real examination of life.

Atheism is merely another tribal display - a peacock's tail trying to attract a mate through a verbal display of intelligence.

Sustainability, diversity and adaptation are the objectives.  Always were and always will be.

How you go about attracting mates is a whole new ball game.  Sometimes pretending that you are religious might help you to find that perfect mate.  Atheists are in the minority so better play your gene game right.

You have to evaluate your situation and increase your chances.  I met my wife in church.  We are both atheists.

Pages:
Jump to: