Author

Topic: [Ultracoin] [Est. Feb 2014] ~ ASIC Resistant & Ultrafast 6 Second Transactions! - page 186. (Read 381006 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I have just received the latest shipment of t-shirts, if you have donated to the Hasher's United donation fund or for the North American Bitcoin Conference fund, please send me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected] with your name, address, and t-shirt size. I will verify the donation and send out the shirt tomorrow. I have to warn you, they are extremely comfortable and you may not want to take it off.

Happy holidays,

Steven "Rapture"
Management Director
[email protected]
Activity: 307
Merit: 100
From a user perspective - UTC appears to be back in business.

The new wallets install and work on multiple Windows versions - coins transfer and the increase in transaction time is not even noticeable IMO.

Despite the griping of some miners (a normal and continuous condition) - mining has commenced and rising favourably. Please observe.

http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ultracoin-network-hashrate-chart.

IMO UTC is back on track and better than before. UTC has proved that it has the dev power to prevail adversity.

This should have never happened but it has clearly demonstrated that UTC has the dev power and the community to weather a good storm.  I was always concerned about weakness in the UTC dev team - these fears are dispelled now. I think we need to acknowledge that Kracko has proved himself with flying colours. Nevertheless we need more horsepower than just Kracko + in the future.  UTC Management - please keep new talent coming in to support Kracko.

Finally - to Kracko and Steven.  Great job here on all fronts guys.  Go and get some sleep sometime soon.  Thanks for your great works and tireless efforts in support of UTC.

Cheers usukan

I agree all  Cheesy
Activity: 416
@Kracko
I see that the difficulty is still Jumping up and down like a rabbit. And it does reflect profitability, but I agree things are better. Smiley
I also see that your fork as almost ZERO effect on Orphans.

Besides your explanation of Phantom miners coming and going, and fictional Solo miners being true... Smiley
Why were we forking again?Huh

OH, yeah to give Stake holders more profit Wink
Just admit that the dev. team holds HUGE amounts of UTC and wants to make more money out of it.

@king_pin You sure bake some interesting ideas under that tinfoil hat of yours.

hahahaha, I do have a Tinfoil HAT, but I use it only when I am in the mining farm, It really helps if you stay for too long Smiley :

@fredeq
There are, I used them and it is troublesome, rigs freeze, you need to use different freqs. its not very effective
It is much easier to switch between coins of one scrypt or between lets say X11, X13, X15
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
From a user perspective - UTC appears to be back in business.

The new wallets install and work on multiple Windows versions - coins transfer and the increase in transaction time is not even noticeable IMO.

Despite the griping of some miners (a normal and continuous condition) - mining has commenced and rising favourably. Please observe.

http://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ultracoin-network-hashrate-chart.

IMO UTC is back on track and better than before. UTC has proved that it has the dev power to prevail adversity.

This should have never happened but it has clearly demonstrated that UTC has the dev power and the community to weather a good storm.  I was always concerned about weakness in the UTC dev team - these fears are dispelled now. I think we need to acknowledge that Kracko has proved himself with flying colours. Nevertheless we need more horsepower than just Kracko + in the future.  UTC Management - please keep new talent coming in to support Kracko.

Finally - to Kracko and Steven.  Great job here on all fronts guys.  Go and get some sleep sometime soon.  Thanks for your great works and tireless efforts in support of UTC.

Cheers usukan
Activity: 318
I can switch my rigs between algos within a few mins and have indeed been doing that on occasions recently.  If I do it I am sure others do too.

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
Hi.

I need your help. I am mining for 24 hours solo with yacminer on five Radeon 280X cards with roundabout 20kH/s and I haven´t got any accepted share not even an orphan. Before I mined solo with ultracoin miner for 24 hours. That gave me a couple of hits (of course unfortunately all orphans:( ).
My question:
I read about the diff<1 problem with yacminer. Yacminer(cgminer.exe) indicates a diff of 3.1k at the moment and ultabex.tumlingblock.com indicates a difficulty of 0.112.
Is the "diff<1" (integer datatype) problem most likely the reason that I don´t find even one block with yacminer and so UTC can not be mined solo with yacminer as long as the diff is lower than 1?

Regards,
Janus

If you are solo-mining UTC, the difficulty < 1 issue should never even come into play (unless the coin is dead).  As you pointed out, it was registering as 3.1K in your miner - the issue arises when vardiff on pools generate non-integer difficulties for the miner.  Your problem is that you just didn't find any shares over the target difficulty, which seems pretty unlikely, though possible given the very swingy difficulty.
Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand the difficulty < 1 problem and that I am not affected if I mine solo. Meanwhile I got the proof of that: I was lucky and hit 2 blocks. Great.
Regards,
Janus
Activity: 456
@Kracko
I see that the difficulty is still Jumping up and down like a rabbit. And it does reflect profitability, but I agree things are better. Smiley

Besides your explanation of Phantom miners coming and going, and fictional Solo miners being true... Smiley

Just admit that the dev. team holds HUGE amounts of UTC and wants to make more money out of it.

@king_pin You sure bake some interesting ideas under that tinfoil hat of yours.
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
I really really doubt that there are any hoppers. Lets make a list of S-jane Coins:
UTC
YAC
Cache

maybe a few more minor once...

And even less are at NF14, so who is hopping? Hopping between S-crypts is a real headache, so it just doesn't seem like a viable theory for the difficulty spikes.  Huh Huh Huh

Well you can hop between lets say Jane and X11. Just needs right software.
@Kracko

I don't see how this fork would benefit us in the dev team. I hold approximately 155,000 Ultracoin and have the screenshots to prove it, not to mention, I have never sold. Paul and Fabian have never sold as well. I don't see how forking again could have any affect on us, that's like shooting yourself in the foot to prevent blood loss.
I really really doubt that there are any hoppers. Lets make a list of S-jane Coins:
UTC
YAC
Cache

maybe a few more minor once...

And even less are at NF14, so who is hopping? Hopping between S-crypts is a real headache, so it just doesn't seem like a viable theory for the difficulty spikes.  Huh Huh Huh
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
Its quite normal for diff retarget to take time to normalize. I guess we had some hoppers trying to benefit from low diffs as well.

I just hope the digi-retarget is finally fixed (It caused blockchain to create under 80% target coins in the past).
@Kracko

Activity: 693
Merit: 500
Hi.

I need your help. I am mining for 24 hours solo with yacminer on five Radeon 280X cards with roundabout 20kH/s and I haven´t got any accepted share not even an orphan. Before I mined solo with ultracoin miner for 24 hours. That gave me a couple of hits (of course unfortunately all orphans:( ).
My question:
I read about the diff<1 problem with yacminer. Yacminer(cgminer.exe) indicates a diff of 3.1k at the moment and ultabex.tumlingblock.com indicates a difficulty of 0.112.
Is the "diff<1" (integer datatype) problem most likely the reason that I don´t find even one block with yacminer and so UTC can not be mined solo with yacminer as long as the diff is lower than 1?

Regards,
Janus

If you are solo-mining UTC, the difficulty < 1 issue should never even come into play (unless the coin is dead).  As you pointed out, it was registering as 3.1K in your miner - the issue arises when vardiff on pools generate non-integer difficulties for the miner.  Your problem is that you just didn't find any shares over the target difficulty, which seems pretty unlikely, though possible given the very swingy difficulty.
Activity: 307
Merit: 100
Hi.

My question:

Regards,
Janus

Why you are solo mining? It much better in pool.
Activity: 266
Looking at the prices on cryptsy who is going to pay 500 satoshi more then the 1st legitimate offer at the 7900 mark? I am all for bots but any person with a brain can see that the prices are clearly hiked up by stupid bots who push and push the price higher to try and get people/noobs to buy in.
I don't know who owns the bots but please use what little brain you have and make it a bit more subtle as people just wont buy into that stupidly hiked up price.

You want UTC to triumph? so far it is a major fail with such stupid bots that are just putting people off from buying into UTC.
Hi.

My question:

Regards,
Janus
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
@Thirtybird and reb0rn21
I just love it when NOOBS try to explain things to me. Smiley

This made me laugh. Where do you think UTC would be without ThirtyBird? It would be PoS only is my guess.

I'm surprised there was absolutely no push-back to the 60 second block time change. It was finally realized that 30 seconds causes orphans even at a pretty high relative percentage of the hashrate for a pool. But wasn't 30 seconds the selling point of UltraCoin being 'UltraFast'? What is the identity of UltraCoin now?

As far as the philosophy behind the change from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, the decision was made mostly to trump orphans and blockchain bloat, especially with the effects that higher N-Factors have with the increased time it takes to sync the chain. In practice, 60 seconds is still very fast, especially compared to Bitcoin and even Litecoin, but on par with Dogecoin. In practice, a cash transaction of 30 seconds is typically too long for people to be waiting at checkout, but it does work for most services like eating out, ordering a pizza, buying a car, or what have you. However, let's say you wanted to buy a soda from a soda machine, 30 seconds, while it might not seem like much, is still a long time to wait before you are able to actually receive your drink. In the future, third parties will most likely take over in this segment and offer some form of instantaneous payments with cryptocurrencies. We believe that the difference between 30 to 60 seconds is unsubstantial in the long run, and the decrease in orphans and increase in network security far outweighed the costs. Ultracoin is based on Scrypt-ChaCha, which is a small market that puts us in a league of our own, and we are also supported by a great team, with great partners, and excellent media and event exposure that other coins simply don't get. Of course, we will continue to explore other niches that Ultracoin may fit in to in the future, such as a the minecraft plugin, but our main priorities will always be bound by out philosophy, that it, a stable, accepted and supported cryptocurrency. And of course, zero-confirmation transactions take only 6 seconds, so you can always see incoming transactions immediately, just like temporary authorizations on a bank account!

Regards,

Steven "Rapture"
Management Director
[email protected]

I still wish you would stop with the '6 seconds' as it seems completely arbitrary. From what I have read (http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/248.pdf), bitcoin is <3 seconds for a zero-transaction transfer, so UltraCoin is slower than Bitcoin? Also, 1 confirmation is meaningless for transfers, i.g. what crypto payment processor relies on 1 confirmation?

Yes, it does solve some orphans issues, but it isn't a complete slam dunk. It would have been interesting if Kracko made it 2 min or more... scrypt-chacha does deserve a lot more attention and credit, I agree.

Next step, we are paid for and set to attend the North American Bitcoin Conference! I look forward to seeing you there, and if you can't attend, please consider donating towards marketing materials:

Donation addresses:

Bitcoin: 19dWfL9cbBzuX3At3iaAjzatwhHCBb4xNT
Ultracoin: UmEXXKb8inVTseVoRqfgy6jEVNA84JMmPb

Sincerely,

Steven "Rapture"
Management Director
Ultracoin
[email protected]

Hi Steven,

I am happy to donate again 0.1 BTC for the next conference.
Thanks to the whole Ultracoin Team that is doing an awesome job.

Regards,
Janus
@Thirtybird and reb0rn21

This made me laugh. Where do you think UTC would be without ThirtyBird? It would be PoS only is my guess.

I'm surprised there was absolutely no push-back to the 60 second block time change. It was finally realized that 30 seconds causes orphans even at a pretty high relative percentage of the hashrate for a pool. But wasn't 30 seconds the selling point of UltraCoin being 'UltraFast'? What is the identity of UltraCoin now?

As far as the philosophy behind the change from 30 seconds to 60 seconds, the decision was made mostly to trump orphans and blockchain bloat, especially with the effects that higher N-Factors have with the increased time it takes to sync the chain. In practice, 60 seconds is still very fast, especially compared to Bitcoin and even Litecoin, but on par with Dogecoin. In practice, a cash transaction of 30 seconds is typically too long for people to be waiting at checkout, but it does work for most services like eating out, ordering a pizza, buying a car, or what have you. However, let's say you wanted to buy a soda from a soda machine, 30 seconds, while it might not seem like much, is still a long time to wait before you are able to actually receive your drink. In the future, third parties will most likely take over in this segment and offer some form of instantaneous payments with cryptocurrencies. We believe that the difference between 30 to 60 seconds is unsubstantial in the long run, and the decrease in orphans and increase in network security far outweighed the costs. Ultracoin is based on Scrypt-ChaCha, which is a small market that puts us in a league of our own, and we are also supported by a great team, with great partners, and excellent media and event exposure that other coins simply don't get. Of course, we will continue to explore other niches that Ultracoin may fit in to in the future, such as a the minecraft plugin, but our main priorities will always be bound by out philosophy, that it, a stable, accepted and supported cryptocurrency. And of course, zero-confirmation transactions take only 6 seconds, so you can always see incoming transactions immediately, just like temporary authorizations on a bank account!

Regards,

Steven "Rapture"
Management Director
[email protected]
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
@Thirtybird and reb0rn21

Jump to: