Pages:
Author

Topic: Unstoppable wallet {User experiences} - page 4. (Read 2894 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
November 29, 2023, 05:52:06 AM
in the hidden wallet, as 2000$ may be a big amount of money for him
~
So there are many people who may have an insignificant amount of money stored in unstoppable wallets but that money is significant for them.
My take: nobody should keep "a significant amount" in a hot wallet, including "hidden" hot wallets. If you don't care about losing $2k, then by all means, keep it in a hot wallet for your daily spending. But if you can't risk losing $50 (for instance because you earn $12 per month), then you shouldn't keep it in a hot wallet.

I was actually thinking of getting my kids a crypto wallet Cheesy Let them choose if they want their allowance in cash, or magic internet money. Their allowance is too low for Bitcoin transaction fees, which unfortunately only leaves altcoins. But there's not really a point if they can't spend it to buy toys online.
It seems problematic to introduce kids to bitcoin through shitcoins....
You're right. It sucks not being able to use on-chain Bitcoin for small amounts. Not only for my kids, but also for many people (like mentioned above) who would spend a week's worth of wages on a transaction fee.
Using LN isn't really an option either: I don't want to teach them to use custodial wallets, especially long-term, and non-custodial wallets come with high on-chain fees for opening and closing channels.
If it wouldn't be so much work, I'd setup a testnet webshop, in which they can order candy using their Bitcoin testnet mobile wallet. Like Starblocks, but for kids, and I'll actually give them the items they order.
Activity: 462
Merit: 767
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
November 29, 2023, 01:10:35 AM
For bitcoins, I will still prefer the Electrum desktop version over the unstoppable wallets and there are many reasons for this. Electrum supports a lot of bitcoin features like RBF or multi signatures, which you may not find in the unstoppable wallet.

I am already using Electrum on my desktop and my Android, too. I never planned to hold altcoins for a long time. But, sometimes, we need to make some transactions, and sometimes, I buy altcoins for a short period. But, surely, it's better to hold my coins in my own wallet, even if it's for one day. I was using centralized exchanges to buy altcoins and kept them there. So, I decided to use a dedicated altcoin wallet. Previously, I used Trust Wallet. But, as you may know, it's a closed source, which is why everyone asks not to use it. For now, I am also moving to Unstoppable Wallet and using Electrum.
Activity: 966
Merit: 280
November 29, 2023, 01:04:55 AM
At least it's still better than closed-source wallets. I will try to meet my needs with this one if I can.

If you have a lot of altcoins to store, then Unstoppable Wallet can be your best choice. (In case you do not have a hardware wallet).

For bitcoins, I will still prefer the Electrum desktop version over the unstoppable wallets and there are many reasons for this. Electrum supports a lot of bitcoin features like RBF or multi signatures, which you may not find in the unstoppable wallet.
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
November 25, 2023, 08:23:48 PM
If you set your computer's time zone to Howland Island's time zone, it probably works again for the coming 89 minutes.
I didn't try it because I don't think the website has much information, but I wanted to check it. No problem, I will check back later once things get fixed.

But I like Unstoppable wallet because it is open source and because it is supporting passphrase. Hardly will you see multicoins wallet that will support passphrase.

At least it's still better than closed-source wallets. I will try to meet my needs with this one if I can.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159
November 25, 2023, 02:04:29 PM
We're talking about hot wallets here, $50 is acceptable but I wouldn't want a lot in it anyway.
Sure, but in that case, why go through the trouble of creating multiple dummy wallets to protect small sums of money if you are already holding something insignificant there, and your priority should gravitate more towards usability and quick access instead of multiple security layers, hidden wallets, and such!? 

Some amounts may be insignificant for some people while the same amount can be insignificant for others. For example, someone may be storing 1 ETH in the unstoppable wallet and may keep it in the hidden wallet, as 2000$ may be a big amount of money for him, while the other person may store the same amount of ETH without hiddenly, as 2000$ may not be a big amount for him. Even one may have 0.5 ETH with him and he may saved each penny to gather 1000$ to get that ETH.

So there are many people who may have an insignificant amount of money stored in unstoppable wallets but that money is significant for them.
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
November 25, 2023, 11:38:28 AM
I mean that 'rated for 3+'
That explains it.
I was actually thinking of getting my kids a crypto wallet Cheesy Let them choose if they want their allowance in cash, or magic internet money. Their allowance is too low for Bitcoin transaction fees, which unfortunately only leaves altcoins. But there's not really a point if they can't spend it to buy toys online.

It seems problematic to introduce kids to bitcoin through shitcoins.... or to consider that it would be good to go that route, even though I have some troubles considering any really good solution, yet it does not seem that we are getting very far away from the ideas of savings and/or sound money and/or investing (if that might be part of what you might be trying to teach your kids as well as financial responsibility and being responsible for their value once they get it).  But then, getting them into shitcoins seem to take a potential easy route out that is kind of like just considering the transactional value rather than the storage of value option that bitcoin provides but it does not have to be honored because bitcoin can also be transferred and transacted in, but there might be some costs in doing that.. I know kids frequently are not thinking that far out into the future, and a week or a month might seem to be a long time to many kids.. but then it seems problematic to end up potentially contributing to the kids to consider shitcoins as similar to bitcoin.. and maybe just getting back to the "just say no" values that surely sound better in theory rather than in practice.  

I can think of a couple of possible solutions, and one is to figure out some kind of a lightning wallet solution, even though there seem to be technical aspects with keeping many of them going.  Another possibility would be to hold their funds in some kind of a separate accounting that is held by you (the parent), and then once the funds reach a certainly high enough level to justify the fees (or periods when the fees go down), then to send the funds to a wallet that the kid controls.. if that is what you mean by giving to your kids is that they would also control the wallet.. and maybe you have some oversight and maybe not depending on their age and other aspects of your way of relating with them..
legendary
November 25, 2023, 06:24:41 AM
That explains it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
November 25, 2023, 06:15:04 AM
I have heard about this wallet before but did not try it until yesterday. After installing the app, I was disappointed that it does not have many coins. But after watching the video linked in the OP, I learned it does support multiple chains and many alts too.
If you do not have a hardware wallet that is supporting many of these altcoins, you may be disappointed that Unstoppable wallet is the only wallet that is open source and supporting coins with their tokens (like Ethereum and ERC20 tokens), but not supporting many other altcoins that do not have tokens. I noticed this when I started using the wallet. It works good with those coins and their tokens, even no noticable synchronizing issue. But with other coins with no tokens, likely you will encounter synching issue while some other alcoins with no tokens are not supported.

But I like Unstoppable wallet because it is open source and because it is supporting passphrase. Hardly will you see multicoins wallet that will support passphrase.

I see 4.0 stars. Or 4.4, I don't know why there are 2 different versions. Or 4.7 for Apple.
I think this confused him:

But this is what it means:

If he scroll down further, likely he would have seen the rating:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.horizontalsystems.bankwallet
legendary
November 25, 2023, 05:31:33 AM
Usually, I bypass these warnings by clicking on advance, but I can't continue this time. Not sure if it's me only or if it is the same for everyone.
This happens a lot:
Code:
The certificate for unstoppable.money expired on 11/25/2023.
If you set your computer's time zone to Howland Island's time zone, it probably works again for the coming 89 minutes.

The rating on play store is not good at all. A open source wallet with 3 star rating is not good enough.
I see 4.0 stars. Or 4.4, I don't know why there are 2 different versions. Or 4.7 for Apple.
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
November 25, 2023, 05:22:24 AM
I have heard about this wallet before but did not try it until yesterday. After installing the app, I was disappointed that it does not have many coins. But after watching the video linked in the OP, I learned it does support multiple chains and many alts too. I tried to access the website https://unstoppable.money/, but I cannot access it.

Your connection isn't private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from unstoppable.money (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

Usually, I bypass these warnings by clicking on advance, but I can't continue this time. Not sure if it's me only or if it is the same for everyone. The rating on play store is not good at all. A open source wallet with 3 star rating is not good enough.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
November 09, 2023, 12:42:55 PM
The passphrase gives unlimited possibilities, the PIN only 1 million. And if you have 10 wallets, 1 in 100,000 PINs will be valid. I don't think it matters much in practice, just have your 24" wrench ready.
Don't forget that Ledger has two ways to allow access to the passphrase-protected account/s. One way is by entering the passphrase the way it was set up, which is more secure, but the other way is to connect the passphrase to a secondary PIN. That PIN is, at worst, 4 digits, and at best 8 digits long.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
November 08, 2023, 05:36:22 PM
Which one do you think has fewer weak spots?  Ledger with their Passphrase or Unstoppable with their Duress?

Passphrase will be generating different wallet (keys and addresses) in a way that without the passphrase, the wallet can not be compromised.

On Unstoppable wallet, the password is for different wallet entirely.

Which one has a weaker spot? Not worth comparing both because Ledgers is a hardware wallet and would be considered more secure in general. Although, if Ledger is the only hardware wallet that remains on earth, I will never use a hardware wallet because of obvious reasons.

If a hardware wallet has duress mode and support passphrase just like how it is on Unstoppable wallet, but in a way that they seed phrase and they keys will be difficult to know with secure element, I can have different wallet with different passphrase and different pin (duress mode) for each wallet which j consider secure.

So is there a way to add all of the tokens automatically? Adding them manually one by one with each token is available on multiple blockchains, is another hectic task.
No, even if you have altcoin address funded, you have to add it manually.
legendary
November 08, 2023, 05:00:34 AM
As far as I know, any passphrase on Ledger creates another wallet. On Unstoppable wallet, only valid PINs work.
Which one do you think has fewer weak spots?  Ledger with their Passphrase or Unstoppable with their Duress?
The passphrase gives unlimited possibilities, the PIN only 1 million. And if you have 10 wallets, 1 in 100,000 PINs will be valid. I don't think it matters much in practice, just have your 24" wrench ready.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159
November 08, 2023, 01:17:17 AM
I also upgraded my wallet to the latest 0.36 version. Good to see that this time they have focused more on security upgrades which include Auto Lock, Random Numpad and Duress mode.

For whom do we need the fake wallet? You mean that  we will enter the fake wallet password in front of our friend and then show him that we have only few coins while our real assets are stored with other password.

This is exactly what is the purpose of this and also it is explained in the update. If you are ever forced into an unfortunate situation where someone forces you to open up the wallet (at a gunpoint or something), you can open it with the wallet password which has a few amount of coins and this way your main wallet will remain safe.
Activity: 966
Merit: 280
November 08, 2023, 01:03:11 AM
Does anyone know if they able to successfully recover all your assets without further input by the user regarding what blockchains to scan?
Easy solution: just add them all, and see what pops up. It becomes much more tricky if the wallet delisted one of your coins.

So is there a way to add all of the tokens automatically? Adding them manually one by one with each token is available on multiple blockchains, is another hectic task.

Assuming I am having wallet 1, 2 and 3.
My password is 12345
I set duress wallet 1 password as 11111
Duress wallet 2 password as 22222
Maybe wallet 3 is having just little amount of coins (fake wallet). Not fake wallet but I think you understand what I am implying. And the duress password is 33333

Password 12345 will let you see the whole wallet (1, 2 and 3) as usual as it was
Password 11111 will only let you see wallet 1
Password 22222 will only let you see wallet 2
Password 33333 will only let you see wallet 3

I think this is good. I use weak password for illustrating it, not recommended. Use better passwords.

For whom do we need the fake wallet? You mean that  we will enter the fake wallet password in front of our friend and then show him that we have only few coins while our real assets are stored with other password. Other than this i don't find it useful. And there is no way this duress password is safe guard against the hackers/malwares as he can hack other passwords too, if he is able to compromise duress password  of fake wallet somehow
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 07, 2023, 04:57:54 PM
As far as I know, any passphrase on Ledger creates another wallet. On Unstoppable wallet, only valid PINs work.
Which one do you think has fewer weak spots?  Ledger with their Passphrase or Unstoppable with their Duress?
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
November 07, 2023, 02:37:42 PM
We are all preparing for it but unfortunately in many cases even the most prepared people get the expected in the most unexpected way at the most unexpected time.  God forbid this scenario EVER happens to any of us.

The element of surprise can come from psychos and also from people who are not very psycho, but just determined for other reasons, including various kinds of societal breakdowns that may or may not go back to economics.  

Frequently the attacker will not have a lot of specifics, but it could be an attacker who has quite a bit of specifics.  

It surely does not hurt to prepare for a variety of attackers, but we might not be able to prepare for some of the scenarios, and we also might get lucky to have had prepared to lose more than we end up losing... and yeah, some times, the wrong doer will fear so much getting caught that he will want to make sure that there are no witnesses, so we are not in a good situation if we might not know the attackers ultimate goal is to make sure that we are not a witness.

Durress mode is similar to the Passphrase option Ledger has.  Right?
Scary scenario.
It is. New plan:

I'm getting one of these! Cut a hole at the end, and use epoxy glue to embed my hardware wallet into the wrench. My $63 wrench beats any $5 wrench!

Yep.. the element of surprise.. can sometimes not provide enough protection (even if your wrench or gun is BIGGer), and surely many people are honest in the world, but sometimes we might find ourselves in some kind of precarious position.  

Surely some folks live with many security systems, so any intruder has to get past the various security systems (or to be a house guest), but even those people with high security may well have some places in which they are vulnerable... who is wanting to live like that?  but sometimes there are instances in which societies break down because too many people get desperate, and then experiencing thieves, assault and robbery can even cause honest people to consider futility in terms of their history of having had acted honestly.. and seeing the less honest people getting ahead while they suffer and consider that their honesty might be keeping them in less prosperous circumstances... so sometimes even relatively "honest" people might get lured into performing desperate acts or even taking advantage of a situation.. and sure it is more difficult to confront someone directly rather than sneaking behind their back.
legendary
November 07, 2023, 12:08:47 PM

Scary scenario.
It is. New plan:
Image loading...
I'm getting one of these! Cut a hole at the end, and use epoxy glue to embed my hardware wallet into the wrench. My $63 wrench beats any $5 wrench!
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 07, 2023, 11:21:12 AM

If so then good job to Unstoppable.  It does give me a better sense of security and safety.  Even if I know a situation where I have to provide some body the fake code to my Wallet would be difficult to handle.

and if we are being beaten, our thinking might not be as clear as we wished as it would have been under such scenario.
Golden words.  You made me smile.  You prepare for the worst all your life and then if the worst comes to you, you are facing what you have always feared.  How many of us are strong enough to successfully get a wrench to their bones and accept a possibility of being forever handicapped or even dying in a grotesque way, having all of our children and family suffer just to protect a digital asset.  Would you give up your legs for the Bitcoin you own:  Would you rather be paralyzed with Bitcoins on your phone or would you give the Bitcoins up and continue living a normal life.

Worth a lot of money or not.  Our passion or not.  Bitcoin should still be less important than our lives, health and sanity.  Under such scenario, many would simply freeze.  Others would give up enough information the attacker needs to get what they needed.  Others would just never give up and would die for their Bitcoins.  But the possibilities are infinite.

Maybe the attacker stops if you give them just one Wallet.  Not the 50 bucks one but maybe a chunkier one while still holding on to the majority of your Coins.  How do you know however.  Maybe you give the attacker even 10 Wallets and they continue giving you the wrench.  Maybe the attacker is in fact a psycho.  Crazy guy who would never stop.

Maybe that is the point.  The attacker could have one purpose.  Getting as many Wallets from you while slowly KILLING you.  Not just hurting you until you give up.

I wonder if any of us could continue lying well about the other Wallets while being beaten.  That 5 Dollar wrench can easily trigger a mental break down since you know you are hiding something and you know you are sort of being punished for it.  If you can handle a lie SO well the attacker does not notice at all then great for you.  But what the freak happens if they notice something seems off about your answers.  Could be the worst outcome for you indeed.

Scary scenario.  We are all preparing for it but unfortunately in many cases even the most prepared people get the expected in the most unexpected way at the most unexpected time.  God forbid this scenario EVER happens to any of us.

Anyway.  5 Dollar wrench attacked or not.  Stay safe and prioritize life, health, sanity over anything digital or material.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
October 31, 2023, 03:25:53 PM
Sure, but in that case, why go through the trouble of creating multiple dummy wallets to protect small sums of money if you are already holding something insignificant there, and your priority should gravitate more towards usability and quick access instead of multiple security layers, hidden wallets, and such!?  
Trouble of spending 5 to 10 seconds more for creating/accessing other accounts?  Yeah it's a really big trouble  Cheesy
People can do this because of simple privacy purposes, maybe you don't want someone to see all your addresses, transactions and balance.
Not everyone is running around with wrenches trying to steal crypto from your phone, in fact this are very rear cases and targets are mostly people who publicly brag about crypto ownership.
It's more likely that someone will just steal your phone and wallet with cash than anything related with crypto.
Pages:
Jump to: