Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 254. (Read 901342 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003
January 16, 2016, 03:00:17 PM
rather, its you that needs to focus on the subject rather than constantly changing it whenever you want to avoid a question.

Quoting myself (in October 2015):
This issue is solved for me.

This thread can now be closed.

Best regards.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
January 16, 2016, 02:47:31 PM

No, your last post was about defining manhood, which you stated is all about answering questions.

You read but You don't understand: focus on the subject and you will understand the words.

Best regards.
rather, its you that needs to focus on the subject rather than constantly changing it whenever you want to avoid a question.
legendary
January 16, 2016, 02:40:15 PM

No, your last post was about defining manhood, which you stated is all about answering questions.

You read but You don't understand: focus on the subject and you will understand the words.

Best regards.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
January 16, 2016, 01:27:40 PM
Answering questions means being a man!

Best regards.

That's all it takes to be a man? I thought you needed a penis as well?

I thought we were talking about atheism?

Best regards.

legendary
January 16, 2016, 01:22:33 PM

I thought we were talking about atheism?

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 16, 2016, 01:19:39 PM

All of the definitions of 'religion' that I read included belief in a god or the supernatural as some of the defining traits. If you're not including one or the other, you're not using the word 'religion' on the way accepted by "all world".

You are an atheist: how do you know about the World?

BitNow, that's a non-sequitur -- a type of logical 'trap' into which you tend to fall. You need to watch out for that.

As for how I know about what the usual definition of religion is, I did some reading, a little research. You could easily do the same. 

I know I won't change the attitudes of BitNow or BADecker, but I keep this discussion going with them for the sake of other readers.

You think you are God?

Best regards.

You call me an atheist and then tell me I think I'm a god in the same post? I can't both not believe in gods and believe I am one. Perhaps you meant something else?

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.

You already called me both a believer and a non-believer, and now you ask me for my opinion?

Best regards.

legendary
January 16, 2016, 01:15:50 PM

You already called me both a believer and a non-believer, and now you ask me for my opinion?

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 16, 2016, 01:14:16 PM

All of the definitions of 'religion' that I read included belief in a god or the supernatural as some of the defining traits. If you're not including one or the other, you're not using the word 'religion' on the way accepted by "all world".

BitNow, that's a non-sequitur -- a type of logical 'trap' into which you tend to fall. You need to watch out for that.

As for how I know about what the usual definition of religion is, I did some reading, a little research. You could easily do the same. 

I know I won't change the attitudes of BitNow or BADecker, but I keep this discussion going with them for the sake of other readers.

You think you are God?

Best regards.

You call me an atheist and then tell me I think I'm a god in the same post? I can't both not believe in gods and believe I am one. Perhaps you meant something else?

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.

legendary
January 16, 2016, 01:09:53 PM

You think you are God?

Best regards.

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 16, 2016, 01:06:33 PM

You think you are God?

Best regards.

Activity: 471
Merit: 500
January 16, 2016, 12:57:06 PM
Because historically, religions have a pretty bad track record when it comes to excercising tolerance on ppl who don't - sometimes even those who do, share their convictions?
legendary
January 16, 2016, 09:57:37 AM

You think you are God?

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 16, 2016, 07:42:37 AM
You can't talk sense to these people, they're convinced that their imaginary friends wrote a book x number of years ago.  This whole topic is silly, we might as well just change the topic name to "Why aren't religious people being treated for schizophrenia?"

I take seriously attempts to discuss a topic logically. When the logic is clearly fallacious I want to ensure that other readers aren't lead astray by statements which are at best a result of poor application of logic and at worst a knowing attempt to mislead. I'm not sure which is the case here.

donator
Poor impulse control.
January 16, 2016, 07:20:50 AM

If you are changing your mind, what do you tell all the religions that actually *do* worship graven images? That they actually aren't religions and that they don't worship gods?

What is important is the definition of Religion: I though that the definition of the word Religion was clear to all world, it is not.

No, you don't believe that. If this thread has shown me anything at all, it's that the word "Religion" is rarely used according to it's dictionary definition.  Your own definition, for example:
My definition of religion is: "a set of dogmas on faith"

is a part of only one of many different definitions (only some of which are complementary). This must be clear to you unless you have not read about religions at all, so your statement "I though that the definition of the word Religion was clear to all world" is quite disingenuous.

I do not use the word God in the definition of religion because if you define a God a frog you can clearly infer that worshipping a frog is a Religion which is not.

So, if there is a group of people who worship a frog, you wouldn't do them the courtesy of considering them a religion? Even if they have "a set of dogmas on faith" that a particular frog is their god?

legendary
January 16, 2016, 07:00:16 AM
what icons and the cross? are the people that worship them idolators too?

Christains worship a cross or statue, Hindus worship cows. all religions find a way to manifest their belief.  

Christians worship the place where Jesus Christ died (there is always Jesus Christ in the cross were you pray).

If your church has a cross without Jesus Christ you can ask your local priest to change the cross because that offended you.

The cross is to give faithful people a symbol to pray on: there is always Jesus Christ in the cross were you pray (is the same with paintings with Saints and so on...).

What is important is the reference figure (Jesus Christ) not the cross itself.

If your church has a cross without Jesus Christ you can ask your local priest to change the cross because that offended you.

Best regards.

If you are changing your mind, what do you tell all the religions that actually *do* worship graven images? That they actually aren't religions and that they don't worship gods?

What is important is the definition of Religion: I though that the definition of the word Religion was clear to all world, it is not.

My definition of religion is: "a set of dogmas on faith"

I do not use the word God in the definition of religion because if you define a God a frog you can clearly infer that worshipping a frog is a Religion which is not.

A Religion is a set of dogmas on faith, a religion is not the worship of a God.

Worshipping a God is an action, Religion is not an action (is a system).

"Religion is a system"

"I will die with it".

Best regards.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
January 16, 2016, 04:51:32 AM

What does that mean? You quote something and then write about something completely different? Are you trying to change the subject? For a minute there I thought you might start being honest.

Do you want to make my thing said out of the moment a definition?

Best regards.
so then how much of what youve said so far did you mean and how much of it did you say 'in the moment?' is it safe to assume that everything youve said so far is just you saying random nonsense out of being 'in the moment?' stop backpedaling when its convenient for you.

What does "thing said out of the moment" mean - that there are some things you write that we should ignore? Can you tell me which they are ahead of time to save us all some bother?

The question here is: is Islam a Religion (because they worship "a thing", idolatry)?

Best regards.
trying to change the subject again when it suits you, ignoring any questions that dont convenience you.

So when is BitNow gonna man up and start answering questions? I've been waiting days.
one day...
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
January 16, 2016, 04:37:07 AM
You can't talk sense to these people, they're convinced that their imaginary friends wrote a book x number of years ago.  This whole topic is silly, we might as well just change the topic name to "Why aren't religious people being treated for schizophrenia?"
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 15, 2016, 11:50:55 PM
People who worship any other deity than God are idolators. If they worship the image of a deity, they are idolators. The only time people are not idolators is when they worship God.

My telling is simply quoting and paraphrasing what others and God say.

I haven't changed my mind about what I have said.

Does that mean you disagree with "others and God say"? Why would you quote something in support of your own view if you don't agree with said quote?
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 15, 2016, 11:47:49 PM
BitNow, it's quite simple.

You write:
Here the word Faith means faith in the Supreme.

Something that worship an idol is not a Religion.

BADecker states that one definition of an idol as the deity - head of a religion - itself.

In conjunction with the above, from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idol:
idol
[ahyd-l]

noun
1. an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
2. Bible.
    an image of a deity other than God.
   the deity itself.

Is a religion something that worships an idol or not? A simple question which you refuse to answer.

Religion doesn't worship. Animals don't worship, either. Only people worship.

Quite right - let me rephrase: Can a religion consist of beings that worship an idol or not? Your own definition says "yes"- an idol can be "the deity itself". Or are you just going to choose the definitions that suit your view of the world?

Without getting into deep semantics, it appears from the definitions that formal religions can worship idols. The word "deity" that you are referring to from the definition, is a false deity... one that is not God. The wording in that particular definition isn't clear.

That it doesn't represent your particular god is of no consequence. I'm interested in your definition of a religion, not your brand of it, and you're making it harder by including definitions that when you later claim "The wording in that particular definition isn't clear".

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
January 15, 2016, 11:31:32 PM
what icons and the cross? are the people that worship them idolators too?
Jump to: