Author

Topic: why do people agree to pay taxes? - page 123. (Read 50995 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064
December 06, 2014, 08:18:52 AM

IF the US voters assembled they could vote to have very little to no taxes, of course that would result in the disappearance of all services we have, which would lead to some chaos pretty quickly.

That is false.

The government has more than enough surpluses to eliminate taxation; this was mentioned and proven earlier in the thread.
What are you talking about Huh the US government is spending several hundred million more then it is taking in via taxes every year. The government does have some assets but nowhere near enough to cover all of it's expenses over even a short period.

Liquidating assets is a short term solution to finance the deficit.
What would the government do when it has no more assets to sell?
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
December 05, 2014, 08:06:58 PM
What are you talking about Huh the US government is spending several hundred million more then it is taking in via taxes every year. The government does have some assets but nowhere near enough to cover all of it's expenses over even a short period.
That is purely hypothetical; I have seen no proof of that. We are probably not even talking about the same "government".

If you want to see what I am talking about, go read the last few pages of this thread and search for my posts. Study those links.

Then, you can try to refute the proof that I posted about the surpluses.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
December 05, 2014, 07:34:05 PM

IF the US voters assembled they could vote to have very little to no taxes, of course that would result in the disappearance of all services we have, which would lead to some chaos pretty quickly.

That is false.

The government has more than enough surpluses to eliminate taxation; this was mentioned and proven earlier in the thread.
Activity: 546
December 05, 2014, 01:29:39 PM

That is false.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
December 05, 2014, 07:26:50 AM
Good, you have bought into the illusion that our votes count, and not those who count the votes.

If voting could change anything for the better of everyone, it would be a capital offense.

...and that important services are better supplied by uninterested people not in the market, but by coercion.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
December 05, 2014, 06:08:11 AM
Good, you have bought into the illusion that our votes count, and not those who count the votes.

If voting could change anything for the better of everyone, it would be a capital offense.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
December 05, 2014, 04:42:59 AM
In the US people agree to pay taxes by voting for it, people WANT the taxes - the taxes pay for common services that the public and large wants to be provided.

You make it sound like the people don't have a choice, in the US they do. IF the US voters assembled they could vote to have very little to no taxes, of course that would result in the disappearance of all services we have, which would lead to some chaos pretty quickly.
Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
December 05, 2014, 04:40:34 AM
the only reason this works is because the citizens are unorganized and unarmed.
if people gather in groups of tens of people to protect each other against the government there is no way they could throw anyone in jail.

I believe "groups of tens of people" could quite easily be taken over by the government.
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
December 04, 2014, 07:46:02 AM
People pay taxes to create a good place for live (with services like hospital, police ecc.). But in many country this isn't possible. I would like to live in the North of Europe, where there is very civilization (and very beautiful woman  Grin).

Yes you're right Northern Europe's women are beautiful; but people don't gain what they deserve. When I was in Romania three years ago, it was devastating for me to learn that general practitioner doctor gains 800 Euro as a salary  Shocked

If Romania was a Northern Europe country then your comment would make sense.

Sorry guys, when he said 'beautiful women' my mind directly goes to Ukraine, Romania, Croatia and other Eastern countries  Grin

I think the same about Northern girls; but the weather is so cold for living man! I think it's better to visit, meet&fuck, go back to your country   Cheesy

Sounds like sex tourism, Very good idea as long as you got money and not get AIDS Cheesy
Activity: 381
December 03, 2014, 04:22:45 PM
People pay taxes to create a good place for live (with services like hospital, police ecc.). But in many country this isn't possible. I would like to live in the North of Europe, where there is very civilization (and very beautiful woman  Grin).

Yes you're right Northern Europe's women are beautiful; but people don't gain what they deserve. When I was in Romania three years ago, it was devastating for me to learn that general practitioner doctor gains 800 Euro as a salary  Shocked

Sorry guys, when he said 'beautiful women' my mind directly goes to Ukraine, Romania, Croatia and other Eastern countries  Grin

I think the same about Northern girls; but the weather is so cold for living man! I think it's better to visit, meet&fuck, go back to your country   Cheesy
Activity: 770
Merit: 629
December 03, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

Yep.  Suppose we're in the US and the median personal income is 40 000 USD/year.  Enter a politician which promises to tax the hell out of everyone with a personal income greater than 50 000 USD/year so that everyone else can enjoy free government.  We put this new policy to a vote.  56% of votes are for the policy with 44% against.  Great, now we have a new law passed in truly democratic fashion which allows the majority of people to live tax free with plenty of free government services.

Looks like France :-)

75% tax for the top earners, and removed the lower tax slice (reduced it to 0).

Only about 40% people in France pay income taxes.
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
December 03, 2014, 08:43:25 AM
People pay taxes to create a good place for live (with services like hospital, police ecc.). But in many country this isn't possible. I would like to live in the North of Europe, where there is very civilization (and very beautiful woman  Grin).

Yes you're right Northern Europe's women are beautiful; but people don't gain what they deserve. When I was in Romania three years ago, it was devastating for me to learn that general practitioner doctor gains 800 Euro as a salary  Shocked

Activity: 381
December 02, 2014, 09:13:56 PM
People pay taxes to create a good place for live (with services like hospital, police ecc.). But in many country this isn't possible. I would like to live in the North of Europe, where there is very civilization (and very beautiful woman  Grin).

Yes you're right Northern Europe's women are beautiful; but people don't gain what they deserve. When I was in Romania three years ago, it was devastating for me to learn that general practitioner doctor gains 800 Euro as a salary  Shocked
legendary
RIP Mommy
December 02, 2014, 08:32:40 PM
If you ever go into a bad situation that you cant yourself solve you'll understand why paying taxes is good.

Like getting shot in the back by a government agent for walking down the street?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
December 02, 2014, 07:58:59 PM
If you ever go into a bad situation that you cant yourself solve you'll understand why paying taxes is good.
legendary
RIP Mommy
December 02, 2014, 12:28:47 AM
"Protection taxes" aka bribes are already paid around the world to government officials by those who want to have the usurped privilege (when it's the fundamental human right) to effectively defend themselves. In spite of your beloved "laws" which only disarm and punish those who can't afford the bribes.

I'd prefer your "lawlessness" equally for all, instead of just for those who can afford to bribe.
The problem with this theory is that not everyone is able to sufficiently fend for themselves, and when they cannot do so, if taxes were not required then the government would have no way of protecting it's poeple.

My theory does not exclude charity defenders, aka Good Samaritans (who the government destroys far too often). It is settled law that the government has no duty to protect anyone - and perversely, harms everyone far more often than it has the chance to protect them.
Activity: 568
Smoke weed everyday!
December 02, 2014, 12:01:36 AM
"Protection taxes" aka bribes are already paid around the world to government officials by those who want to have the usurped privilege (when it's the fundamental human right) to effectively defend themselves. In spite of your beloved "laws" which only disarm and punish those who can't afford the bribes.

I'd prefer your "lawlessness" equally for all, instead of just for those who can afford to bribe.
The problem with this theory is that not everyone is able to sufficiently fend for themselves, and when they cannot do so, if taxes were not required then the government would have no way of protecting it's poeple.
legendary
RIP Mommy
December 01, 2014, 07:00:30 AM
Unfortunatelly for you and for majority of people, reality is not what most people wish for. It never was like that and never will be. It will be even much less in BTC-economy, because it will be even more antidemocratic than recent systems.

Err... I'm pretty sure TheButterZone is not a big fan of democracy.

Correct. Whether it be one man/woman or the entire population of the world, their "vote" to murder an innocent is invalid.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011
December 01, 2014, 06:39:48 AM
Unfortunatelly for you and for majority of people, reality is not what most people wish for. It never was like that and never will be. It will be even much less in BTC-economy, because it will be even more antidemocratic than recent systems.

Err... I'm pretty sure TheButterZone is not a big fan of democracy.
Activity: 326
Atdhe Nuhiu
December 01, 2014, 01:11:22 AM
Someone taxed your english really heavily so it is hard to understand (and my english is far from perfect).

Sure there will be always taxable goods. But there will be less and less of them and many of BTC p2p transactions will not be those. If governemnts want to keep the same income from taxes, they would have to raise the taxes of shrinking pack of taxable goods to sky, which will totally distort market and only support further tax evasion. It is not bearable for economy to tax houses 20% of their value p.a. or have 150% VAT.

Tax as equivalent of some goods, e.g. every person pays 2 goats and one rabit - nice idea, but that is too little for economies of most countries which developed social system, public healthcare etc.
Jump to: