Pages:
Author

Topic: www.BITSTAMP.net Bitcoin exchange site for USD/BTC - page 82. (Read 231171 times)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10
Tuesday at 11am access to Bitstamp was disrupted due to a DDoS attack. Bitstamp responded by upgrading its DDoS mitigation capabilities and recovered full accessibility at 8pm.

Service has been fully restored and no Bitcoins or client information were ever at risk or lost.

Additionally, to help make up for the inconvenience caused by the service outage, Bitstamp will be providing commission free trading until Sunday 21th.

Best regards
CEO, Nejc Kodrič
Bitstamp d.o.o.
riX
Activity: 326
Merit: 252
DDOS according to site owner.

Yeah, it seems like DDoSing sites and blackmailing them for bitcoin seems to be some idiots new business idea.
(Not that I know if Bitstamp has been blackmailed, but others have).

EDIT: http://bitcoinmagazine.net/bitstamp-under-ddos/ - idiots indeed, and 75 BTC can buy a couple of months DDoS protection
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
DDOS according to site owner.
riX
Activity: 326
Merit: 252
Bitstamp has been down for some hours now, planned maintenance or what's happening?
We will be upgrading our core network infrastructure. Our service might be disrupted or unavailable tomorrow between 14:00 and 14:30 GMT.

Thank you for understanding!

Best regards
CEO, Nejc Kodrič
Bitstamp d.o.o.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

One out-of-band place to post site status is Twitter, but that doesn't mention any problem:
 - http://twitter.com/Bitstamp

[Update: Service from the site has been restored.]
legendary
- Bitstamp is using cold storage.

- Bitstamp currently keeps 85% - 90% of bitcoins in cold storage.

- Bitstamp currently has new deposits going to our live wallet. This will change in the near future and new deposits will go directly to cold storage.

- Bitstamp’s offline wallet is installed on a dedicated server that is only turned on when access to the bitcoin client is needed. This server is in a different location than the main server.

- Bitstamp maintains a full reserve of client USD funds and BTC funds.

- Bitstamp maintains a full offsite database backup.

- Bitstamp plans to address the handling of compromises in our forthcoming terms and conditions document.

Awesome, Nejc, thanks for your answer. 

As far as the offline wallet, is that connected to the network or does it have an air gap?   Armory has a method specifically built to allow the cold storage system to be air gapped:
 - http://bitcoinarmory.com/index.php/using-offline-wallets-in-armory
Dear Stephen,

Bitstamp is very concerned with security and safety of customer funds.

In answer to your questions:

- Bitstamp is using cold storage.

- Bitstamp currently keeps 85% - 90% of bitcoins in cold storage.

- Bitstamp currently has new deposits going to our live wallet. This will change in the near future and new deposits will go directly to cold storage.

- Bitstamp’s offline wallet is installed on a dedicated server that is only turned on when access to the bitcoin client is needed. This server is in a different location than the main server.

- Bitstamp maintains a full reserve of client USD funds and BTC funds.

- Bitstamp maintains a full offsite database backup.

- Bitstamp plans to address the handling of compromises in our forthcoming terms and conditions document.

Thank you for questions.

Best regards,
CEO, Nejc Kodrič
Bitstamp d.o.o.
legendary
I am happy to hear suggestions or feedbacks from you.

Is there an ETA for when BitSTAMP will be back on BitcoinCharts.com?
legendary
I've started asking some security questions of the exchanges where I have an account.

I wish this questioning had previously been asked of another exchange that I was using before they had suffered a security breach recently.

So, I'm submitting these questions here and looking first specifically for the answer to:

- Does BitSTAMP use cold storage (an offline wallet that cannot be accessed should the exchange's service become compromised)

If so, then there are other questions:

- Is there a target as to how much of customer's funds are kept in cold storage?  (e.g., percent of total, or perhaps relative to recent withdrawal requirements)?

- Do new deposits go to cold storage?  (if the hot wallet is compromised, new deposits made (e.g., automated payouts by mining pools) would still be secure)

- Does the offline wallet where the cold storage resides remain protected due to an "air gap" (no access to it electronically, not connected to the network)?

And I have other questions that I'ld like to know the answers to:

- Does BitSTAMP maintain full reserve?  (i.e., BitSTAMP controls bank accounts with all customer funds (fiat, USD, EUR, ?) and controls wallets with 100% of BTC funds.  i.e., none of these amounts loaned out.)

- Does BitSTAMP maintain offsite backups of its accounts and transactions?  If for some reason the exchange's primary account database were lost due to a security breach, what information (and how recent) is still available from backup or archives?

- If there is a security breach and BitSTAMP cannot meet withdrawal requests of its customers, what is the withdrawal preference that BitSTAMP would follow?  Various preferences are:
 - -  A.) All deposited funds are of equal standing with bitcoins being valued at their market rate at the time of the loss,
 - -  B.) Withdrawals of USD funds, if not impacted by the breach, are made available to those customers who held a USD balance. in full.
 - -  Do customer deposits have preference over any other creditor claims?  (i.e., a contract stating so such that they don't become unsecured creditors ending up in the same pool as the landlord for office space and hosting bill.)
 - -  or is there some other approach?

If there are other security-related details that are relevant that you would be will to share  (e.g., physicall security, staff background checks, dead man's switch for wallet, etc.) feel free to do so.
Thank you gusti and ricklandman for sharing your experience. I really appreciate that!

Also I want to announce two small new features that some might find this very useful.

-Bitstamp now allows you to add new deposit addresses. We require only 3 network confirmations. You can request new deposit address every 24 hours. (https://www.bitstamp.net/account/deposit/bitcoin/)

-You can see incoming bitcoin transactions on your account dashboard (https://www.bitstamp.net/account/balance/)

I am happy to hear suggestions or feedbacks from you.

Best regards,
CEO, Nejc Kodrič
Bitstamp d.o.o.

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
did a few sepa deposits. All where credited to my bitstamp account within 48h. conversion rate E=>$ was less then 0.5% under ecb rate. very satisfied.
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
Made my first SEPA withdrawal, and funds were credited to my bank account in less than 48 hs.
Congratulations, I will stop using MtGox and switch to this exchange.
legendary
If I had a Swiss bank account and was sending funds to Bitstamp, I could do a SEPA direct debit but that is in EUR only, right?  And then otherwise, from that Swiss bank account I could instead do an international wire, and then send either EUR or USD.

Am I describing the transfer methods correctly?

Yes, SEPA transfers can be done ONLY in EUR currency.

If you have Swiss bank account with EUR balance you can transfer via SEPA. Your funds will be then converted to USD on our end and then added to your bitstamp balance. But since Switzerland is only member of SEPA but not EU, transfers are charged with standard international wire fee.

You can also send internatonal wire in CHF and we will convert it to USD.

Please let me know if I answered your question.

Yup, that sure does. 

I'm presuming SEPA transfers are less expensive to the accountholder than the cost for an international wire transfer.  So even though Bitstamp charges the same fee, overall including the wire fee on the sending side it is less expensive as SEPA.  And it is probably easier to do a SEPA transfer using online banking whereas an International wire might be a little more hassle.
But so that the terminology is clear.

If I had a Swiss bank account and was sending funds to Bitstamp, I could do a SEPA direct debit but that is in EUR only, right?  And then otherwise, from that Swiss bank account I could instead do an international wire, and then send either EUR or USD.

Yes, SEPA transfers can be done ONLY in EUR currency.

If you have Swiss bank account with EUR balance you can transfer via SEPA. Your funds will be then converted to USD on our end and then added to your bitstamp balance. But since Switzerland is only member of SEPA but not EU, transfers are charged with standard international wire fee.

You can also send internatonal wire in CHF and we will convert it to USD.

Please let me know if I answered your question.

Just want to drop by and commend these guys/gals on their hard work.
Keep up the great customer service and I'm sure you'll have many more customers coming your way  Cool

Very happy customer here! 10/10

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback. Much appreciated!

Best regards,
CEO, Nejc Kodrič
Bitstamp d.o.o.
Activity: 927
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin
Just want to drop by and commend these guys/gals on their hard work.
Keep up the great customer service and I'm sure you'll have many more customers coming your way  Cool

Very happy customer here! 10/10
legendary
We can accept/send in CHF, EUR or USD from/to Switzerland.

But so that the terminology is clear.

If I had a Swiss bank account and was sending funds to Bitstamp, I could do a SEPA direct debit but that is in EUR only, right?  And then otherwise, from that Swiss bank account I could instead do an international wire, and then send either EUR or USD.

So transfers from Switzerland, for instance.  They would be SEPA direct debits after the Swiss bank converts to EUR?   (which Bitstamp then converts to USD?)

Yes but please note that Switzerland is not full member of SEPA zone so transfers in EUR carry out same fee as international bank wires.
We can accept/send in CHF, EUR or USD from/to Switzerland. Fee is always the same - $15 (deducted when amount is in USD)

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

great service, as beginer used mtgox... but after some time, and hearing about many btcs stolen from them.. looked for another exchange, found bitstamp, and now i am using it for about 3 months, and i can say i like it very much.. keep going this way  Cool

Thank you very much! We appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,
CEO, Nejc Kodrič
Bitstamp d.o.o.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
great service, as beginer used mtgox... but after some time, and hearing about many btcs stolen from them.. looked for another exchange, found bitstamp, and now i am using it for about 3 months, and i can say i like it very much.. keep going this way  Cool
legendary
I see on the deposit page:

* EU, Euro zone countries (17)
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia and Spain.

* EU, non-Euro zone countries (10)
Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Great Britain, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Sweden.

* EEA zone countries (charged with standard wire fee)
Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Switzerland.

Your SEPA deposit will be credited in 1 - 3 business days. All funds transferred in EUR will be converted to USD, free of charge. Check our current exchange rates here.

So transfers from Switzerland, for instance.  They would be SEPA direct debits after the Swiss bank converts to EUR?   (which Bitstamp then converts to USD?)
Pages:
Jump to: