Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1590. (Read 4670622 times)

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
What the necessity to implement i2p? I don't see the point to make this integration as well as CryptoNote dev team.
Brandon Hawking has written his thoughts about i2p on the forum - https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205#p670

This has been discussed at length, it's to ensure that (generally speaking) an attacker can't determine if you are using Monero or not.

We're not beholden to what the CryptoNote academics believe, so whilst any input they have to offer is always appreciated, we've already diverged far from their reference code, and will continue to do so as we fix deficiencies in their protocol (some of which were highlighted in the Monero whitepaper review).
Activity: 246
Merit: 10
What the necessity to implement i2p? I don't see the point to make this integration as well as CryptoNote dev team.
Brandon Hawking has written his thoughts about i2p on the forum - https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205#p670
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
no way i  can get just a simple gui wallet like all these other coins ?!

There are two "simple gui" wallets, but bear in mind that Monero is not "like all these other coins"Wink

From the OP:

GUI
All current GUIs are in beta, but they should be fairly safe to use because they work through bitmonerod and simplewallet from the main code.

qt gui needs to be compiled ?!

Yes, but compiling it on Mac or Linux is not really a big deal (also, you can find some compiled test versions in the GUI bounty thread). For Windows, I have all the releases tagged and compiled on GitHub, including an alpha release which utilizes rpcwallet with the new daemon.
Activity: 70

There are two "simple gui" wallets, but bear in mind that Monero is not "like all these other coins"Wink

From the OP:

GUI
All current GUIs are in beta, but they should be fairly safe to use because they work through bitmonerod and simplewallet from the main code.

qt gui needs to be compiled ?!
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

From the OP:

GUI

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
why installing the wallet of this coin is such a pain in the ass ?!!!

because the focus has been on back-end cryptography and anonymity, not user experience (UX)

hard to install wallet will discourage people from using it, i'm discouraged now ...

can you help me install it ?
Go to monero.cc -> getting started, or if you are using windows see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.10520 or the tutorials here: https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero-closed/13
If you still have any questions see if they are answered in the monero FAQ thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-unofficial-xmr-community-monero-faq-thread-686086 or ask it in the monero support thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-support-652305

because the focus has been on back-end cryptography and anonymity, not user experience (UX)

hard to install wallet will discourage people from using it, i'm discouraged now ...

To be honest that is a good thing for now.  We need the devs to finish the transition to a database and make some other core decisions before working on making the coin easy to use.

Hopefully they are doing this now.

Frankly, using the command line wallet is drop dead simple.

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

To be honest that is a good thing for now.  We need the devs to finish the transition to a database and make some other core decisions before working on making the coin easy to use.

Hopefully they are doing this now.

Frankly, using the command line wallet is drop dead simple.

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

Activity: 234
Merit: 105
I hope Monero will be the one who survives and many others think so. I just do not yet know what is the advantage of Monero in relation to these other coins?

Bytecoin (BCN) was not fairly distributed. Monero has network effect going for it in the cryptonote space.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
^Here is a list to get a basic idea, but some of the values could be outdated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MI-ic0Os25hgGUImW54sUIjZY_pUNQNa_W8Se5pRGBs/edit#gid=0
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
^ An average i7 should be mining in the region of 200h/s, depending on your actual cpu clock, which precise miner, how many threads you're allowing it, etc.
I don't know if there's a hardware comparison table though. Good luck!
~ Myagui
Activity: 112
is there any reference anywhere on hardware hash rates, or could someone give me an estimate on a mid range i7.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I for one welcome our new GitHub overlords Wink
Activity: 42
I just realized that the .bin.keys file I generated for my offline storage of Monero were made using the 32 bit version. Could there be any problems with this now or in the future? This is on the build before the mnemonic words.

Thanks
XMR offline storage? Can you tell me a bit more?

I have a crappy computer that I use only for making paper wallets for bitcoin/altcoins and for generating monero keys.
I run simplewallet on the offline computer to generate a wallet and send my monero to that wallet.
Then I transfer the .bin.keys and the other wallet files to a couple USBs before storing them in a couple safe deposit boxes.
This way the keys with the monero haven't touched the internet.

I will probably switch to the mnemonic phrase recovery method after I test it a few times.

-Edit-

The link to download the binaries for 32 bit isn't working anymore.
This information can be useful for me. Thanks.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Monero
I just realized that the .bin.keys file I generated for my offline storage of Monero were made using the 32 bit version. Could there be any problems with this now or in the future? This is on the build before the mnemonic words.

Thanks

I have a crappy computer that I use only for making paper wallets for bitcoin/altcoins and for generating monero keys.
I run simplewallet on the offline computer to generate a wallet and send my monero to that wallet.
Then I transfer the .bin.keys and the other wallet files to a couple USBs before storing them in a couple safe deposit boxes.
This way the keys with the monero haven't touched the internet.

I will probably switch to the mnemonic phrase recovery method after I test it a few times.

-Edit-

The link to download the binaries for 32 bit isn't working anymore.
Activity: 308
Merit: 109
Hello

I am a Monero holder mostly because it has mixed transactions and many others also think that the coin of the future has this feature.

There anyway are some other coin with mixing feature.
https://cryptonote.org/
Bytecoin (BCN)
Aeon (AEON)
Boolberry (BBR)
Dashcoin (DSH)
duckNote (XDN)
Fantomcoin (FCN)
MonetaVerde (MCN)
OneEvilCoin (OEC)
Quazarcoin (QCN)

I hope Monero will be the one who survives and many others think so. I just do not yet know what is the advantage of Monero in relation to these other coins?
Activity: 42

Thanks
Jump to: