Pages:
Author

Topic: YES, you can get a REFUND from BFL - page 15. (Read 45591 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501
August 24, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Are you a lawyer bcp19?

edit:

Is BFL liable for this statement?
Today at 02:50:21 PM

Is BFL liable for this statement?
Yes   - 9 (100%)
No   - 0 (0%)
huh?   - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 9

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 24, 2013, 12:52:37 PM
Yes that is simple.  Did BFL ever promise in it's advertising any particular bitcoin pay back for buying the hardware?  

I just wonder because that would expose them to a serious liability lawsuit.
There was an official post with estimated revenue but couldn't find it. (probably deleted)

EDIT: There it is: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=FAQ:Get+Rich+Quick+Not+so+fast

OMG isn't that an offer to deliver a certain hashrate at a certain price and since they didn't deliver is this not an incredible liability?

Testing in the legal forum...

edit:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-bfl-liable-for-this-statement-280514

Not sure what you are reading, but I see a post that basically says "So, you think you'll get rich? Think again and here's why"

They carefully explain what happens as the difficulty increases and what to expect at each level.

I see no delivery dates and no promises.  When was the last time you had your eyes checked?  (It would be impolite to imply you need your head checked after all).
Merit: 1000
August 24, 2013, 11:53:38 AM

Nice tub o' popcorn. Shhh I am trying to watch BFL implode.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
August 24, 2013, 11:36:44 AM

Stickie this thread
August 24, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
Yes that is simple.  Did BFL ever promise in it's advertising any particular bitcoin pay back for buying the hardware?  

There was an official post with estimated revenue but couldn't find it. (probably deleted)

EDIT: There it is: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=FAQ:Get+Rich+Quick+Not+so+fast

OMG isn't that an offer to deliver a certain hashrate at a certain price and since they didn't deliver is this not an incredible liability?

Testing in the legal forum...

edit:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-bfl-liable-for-this-statement-280514

vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
August 24, 2013, 10:42:41 AM

No promise but misleading for noobs imo.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
August 24, 2013, 10:11:24 AM
the difficulty is 65.8M

do you know where your ASICS are?
August 22, 2013, 06:00:38 PM
Yes that is simple.  Did BFL ever promise in it's advertising any particular bitcoin pay back for buying the hardware? 

Activity: 410
Merit: 250
August 22, 2013, 05:56:00 PM

Most of the hate posts I read refer to 'potential profits lost'.  That term alone tells me people think that they would have more money rolling in if BFL had shipped on time.  I could post 3 pages of calculations showing this to be untrue, but you cannot change the minds of people unwilling to listen.

Now, you say these customers lost money.  What money did they lose?  Their investment?  It technically doubled (or more on Mini's) if you take into account the price increase and the fact they will get it eventually.  Mining profits?  Maybe for the day 1 orderers, otherwise doubtful unless they did little to no mining after ordering.  The subsequent rise in the price of BTC?  Speculation.  In hindsight everyone will tell you THEY would have held every last BTC and sold at $250 and thus they got screwed royally by not having it.  The reality is many would have found something else to spend their BTC on.  Whether that would have been a competitor's equipment or something else is also truly unknown.  Maybe having spent it on BFL equipment kept some people from losing it all trying to score big on alt-coins or spending it all on a party and the only thing they'd have to show for it is a massive hangover.

So, I can agree that BFL did not live up to expectations, that *is* a fact.  But to be completely honest, I cannot say with any certainty that this did or did not cost the customers money.  There is certainly a perception by many that money was lost, but unfortunately, we can never prove if that would have been the reality. 
Ok I'll try to simplify it a bit, sorry if the term "lost money" was a bit ambiguous.  Had BFL shipped when they originally stated they would, every single customer would have mined more BTC with the equipment they ordered from BFL than they will now after the extended delays.  People bought machines that mined BTC, in essence purchasing BTC.  Now they will recieve fewer BTC for their purchase due to BFL not doing what they said they would.

Assuming same queue positions and other similar variables remained constant.

Simple enough?
Activity: 812
Merit: 505
The Last NXT Founder
August 22, 2013, 05:48:26 PM
So, I just emailed BFL and requested a refund for two singles I ordered.   Let's see what the response is to that...

i did that a couple of weeks ago, i got the standard "No" form letter. I really want my equipment more than the money though so i let it ride for now.

It's looking like the next difficulty is going up 25% tomorrow. You sure you want to let it ride?

Or double down on the Monarch!

I'll wait for when they announce a product to undercut it before it ships...
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 22, 2013, 05:43:11 PM
So, I just emailed BFL and requested a refund for two singles I ordered.   Let's see what the response is to that...

i did that a couple of weeks ago, i got the standard "No" form letter. I really want my equipment more than the money though so i let it ride for now.

It's looking like the next difficulty is going up 25% tomorrow. You sure you want to let it ride?

Or double down on the Monarch!

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
August 22, 2013, 05:40:25 PM

Meh, what's 25% of 50 mill between friends!
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
August 22, 2013, 05:36:10 PM

Activity: 490
August 22, 2013, 05:26:47 PM

Activity: 574
August 22, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
August 22, 2013, 05:05:27 PM
@ k9

Could you add this to your PSA?

Do a paper filing with the DA here: http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms
Done.

If you have ordered from ButterFly Labs and have not yet received your product, you are entitled to a refund whenever you request one (per FTC rules).
First ask ButterFly Labs for a refund, they will probably say no but you might get lucky.
If you ordered via PayPal you can file a complaint with them even if you are outside the 45 day window. Multiple customers have already gotten a refund from PayPal that was outside the 45 days.
If you ordered via Bitcoin or Bank wire, you can fill out a complaint with the FTC and they will advocate for you with ButterFly Labs to get your refund. You can also contact the office of the Kansas Attorney General and inform them that you have had your money taken with no product delivered for months, just more promises.
You can also do a paper filing with the DA here: http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms

There are also several threads on how to get a refund from ButterFly Labs, here are two:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/yes-you-can-get-a-refund-from-bfl-266945
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/butterfly-labs-did-everything-they-could-to-make-getting-a-refund-impossible-272585
Activity: 532
August 22, 2013, 04:25:55 PM
ASICMiner offered (IMO) overpriced gear. People paid the price. ASICMiner then delivered exactly what they offered immediately.
Many people (myself included) tried to warn people that there was no ROI to be had, but we were shouted down by the buyers, not the sellers.
ASICMiner then offered slightly less overpriced gear.  People paid the price. ASICMiner then delivered exactly what they offered immediately.
They are doing it a third time. People are still buying. You can't blame the shovel makers for making shovels and selling to the millions who come to the gold rush and are desperate to buy a shovel. You have to educate the people and teach them why they should not covet shovels and goldpans.

As soon as another company can provide competition, the prices will adjust to more reasonable levels.
Plus, you seem to be very angry at the only ASIC company that actually delivers what they promise when they say they will. Why is that I wonder.
THIS

It still amounted to insider trading.
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
August 22, 2013, 04:18:08 PM
ASICMiner offered (IMO) overpriced gear. People paid the price. ASICMiner then delivered exactly what they offered immediately.
Many people (myself included) tried to warn people that there was no ROI to be had, but we were shouted down by the buyers, not the sellers.
ASICMiner then offered slightly less overpriced gear.  People paid the price. ASICMiner then delivered exactly what they offered immediately.
They are doing it a third time. People are still buying. You can't blame the shovel makers for making shovels and selling to the millions who come to the gold rush and are desperate to buy a shovel. You have to educate the people and teach them why they should not covet shovels and goldpans.

As soon as another company can provide competition, the prices will adjust to more reasonable levels.
Plus, you seem to be very angry at the only ASIC company that actually delivers what they promise when they say they will. Why is that I wonder.
THIS
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
August 22, 2013, 03:54:16 PM
Thank you Pay"PAL" !  Angry

"Outside the 45 days we can't do nothing, even if they are Criminals" - a quote from a paypal agent I just had on the phone !
Seems like the american paypal customer service is a bit more aware, if they helped you.
Is fraud@ or customerservice@ paypal.com any good to adress this whole thing to? German customer "service" seems to know sh**!

Cheers and good luck@all
There's an organisation that should help you dealing with criminals.
It's called "police".
I'm still utterly and completely baffled by how much people refuse to take action and just give up their money.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
August 22, 2013, 08:45:58 AM
@ k9

Could you add this to your PSA?

Do a paper filing with the DA here: http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms
Pages:
Jump to: