Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread - page 11. (Read 20065 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
U also know the answer on what the MTBF, Main Time Before Failure, on average, in good environment conditions, would be?

I don't know, and don't know how much data we'd need. Perhaps it could be done on other miners, the oldest Bitmain hardware should be about 15 months old by now.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Thanks for the information dogie. Smiley
I would personally still prefer the LCD, and, a working, buzzer tho, even if you dont overclock the GH/s rate would be gr8 to see in my opinion.
So u can see if it still runs at the speed in GH/s u want, meaning no hardware failure probably and most likely, and there are difficulty raises in Bitcoin of course. And IP adress just like the max temp is good to see as well, convenient, in my opinion.

U also know the answer on what the MTBF, Main Time Before Failure, on average, in good environment conditions, would be? Smiley
(Since the warranty is short, just like on all other miners tho)
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I am not particulary happy with the fact that Bitmain decided to not build in an LCD screen.
Even more so, I just hate the fact that there is no "buzzer"
Why would they do that, it was convenient and a good thing to have. The buzzer is just important to have.
Does anyone know WHY they decided to not include an LCD and an buzzer in this model?
For the price and especially the power usage they could at least have placed(keeped) the buzzer..why did they remove it, where they did have it in the "normal" S4..?

Few things:
1) Stock moved from static to DHCP so it can't get stuck on random IPs, which was the main purpose of the LCD.
2) Its got a quick setup button for minerlink, which works similar to WPS devices on a router.
3) Almost no overclocking (overheats) and no underclocking (fixed voltage so constant W/GH). Makes reporting GH/s rather pointless.
4) The buzzer annoyed people more than anything. In small farms it was annoying, in large farms it was often difficult to locate.
5) The buzzer often wouldn't disable properly which was exceptionally annoying.
6) Did I mention the buzzer was annoying? Tongue Maybe it will reappear in another model though.
Activity: 13
I am not particulary happy with the fact that Bitmain decided to not build in an LCD screen.
Even more so, I just hate the fact that there is no "buzzer"
Why would they do that, it was convenient and a good thing to have. The buzzer is just important to have.
Does anyone know WHY they decided to not include an LCD and an buzzer in this model?
For the price and especially the power usage they could at least have placed(keeped) the buzzer..why did they remove it, where they did have it in the "normal" S4..?
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
How many amps is a 1500w Miner going to pull on a 220/240v Circuit?? my math says like 6.25... thats nothing

(meaning I can safely run 3 S4+ on a single 20A 220)
At 240V it's 6.25A.  Meaning you can safely run 2 on a 240V/20A circuit.  You only load a breaker to 80% for constant draw.
At 220V it's 6.82A.  Again, you can safely run 2 on that circuit.

Anyway, Bitmain choosing to basically abandon the typical US consumer is an unpleasant reality now.

Because this product doesn't fit your situation doesn't mean they've abandoned you. The S4+ might not be for you and that's okay.
What it does is set a precedent.  Until the S4+ every single product Bitmain released was usable by everyone - from the home hobbyist to the industrial scale farm.  With this, they have completely alienated the entire US home miner market.

To be fair, I had no intention of buying a revamp of last-gen tech, so this product was not for me to begin with.  I'm hopeful that Bitmain will introduce an S7 or similar that will still cater to those of us who continue to mine at home.  However, I also understand the economics of it and realize that unless there's a dramatic shift in the Bitcoin ecosystem, home mining is effectively dead.

during good months of home mining 5k to 7k power earned me 3 thousand a month. Not most months 4 or 5 of  the last 35 months.

this past Jan 2015   6k of power and 12th of hash I got 4 coins and spent  600 usd on power a net of 200usd.

I will not expect to earn 1k a month during any month of 2015. 

The most power I can use is 6 or 7k during cold winter months. If I could buy 2 10 th machines that use 3k  watts each I would buy them as far as i know they do not exist .
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
How many amps is a 1500w Miner going to pull on a 220/240v Circuit?? my math says like 6.25... thats nothing

At 240V it's 6.25A.  Meaning you can safely run 2 on a 240V/20A circuit.  You only load a breaker to 80% for constant draw.

Anyway, Bitmain choosing to basically abandon the typical US consumer is an unpleasant reality now.

Because this product doesn't fit your situation doesn't mean they've abandoned you. The S4+ might not be for you and that's okay.
What it does is set a precedent.  Until the S4+ every single product Bitmain released was usable by everyone - from the home hobbyist to the industrial scale farm.  With this, they have completely alienated the entire US home miner market.

To be fair, I had no intention of buying a revamp of last-gen tech, so this product was not for me to begin with.  I'm hopeful that Bitmain will introduce an S7 or similar that will still cater to those of us who continue to mine at home.  However, I also understand the economics of it and realize that unless there's a dramatic shift in the Bitcoin ecosystem, home mining is effectively dead.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool

Activity: 507
Merit: 500
The included PSU cannot be used in countries with a mains power voltage lower than 205V. The PSU will not start below this voltage.

Does this mean a Home in the USA can not use this as its only 110 service?
That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

Aren't American Dryers 220v?
Good luck convincing the little lady that she's got to hang your clothes out to dry because you're replacing her dryer with some miners Tongue.

Electric Stove is also 220... Whats the connectors for 220v to the back of a S4+??? L6-30P to C13 Right?
Yes, so you might soften the blow by telling her she no longer needs to cook anything.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
The included PSU cannot be used in countries with a mains power voltage lower than 205V. The PSU will not start below this voltage.

That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

Good luck convincing the little lady that she's got to hang your clothes out to dry because you're replacing her dryer with some miners Tongue.

Electric Stove is also 220... Whats the connectors for 220v to the back of a S4+??? L6-30P to C13 Right?
Yes, so you might soften the blow by telling her she no longer needs to cook anything.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool

legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool

Activity: 19
Hy dear Bitmain and dogie,
unfortunately the "new" S4+ has no significant improvement in power to hash ratio and on my personal opinion a decrease in attraction for home miners in Middle europe, US and other countries above €$0,15/kWH.
If i may post a wish for a S6 or S7, this would be 0,25W/GH and a noise level below 30db. Technically this should not be an issue for a legit company as bitmain is  Wink

Kind regards,
elrippo

I'm convinced the S4+ is just an attempt to make the S5 look like a better value, so they'll sell more of them. This is a marketing tricking to make the lower priced product seem like a better value.

I don't know if I would say that.  If you had a warehouse or huge operation this would be a nice product as far as the amount of hash it brings.

With not being 110 its not a product for all, but there are some out there that are it's "ideal" customers.

Ideal customers, anyone that cares about power efficiency and has plumbed 205V+ in already? I paid all of $150 to have an electrician drop in two 240V 20A circuits and they've been paying for themselves with EVGA, LEPA, Antminer, other PSUs running an average of almost 10% more efficient.
And your $150 get's thrown right out the window when you realize that the s4+ is an extra $200 more than the equivalent 2 S5s. And so your 240v line is saving you what? 3 cents an hour?
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
https://www.bitworks.io
unfortunately the "new" S4+ has no significant improvement in power to hash ratio and on my personal opinion a decrease in attraction for home miners in Middle europe, US and other countries above €$0,15/kWH.
If i may post a wish for a S6 or S7, this would be 0,25W/GH and a noise level below 30db. Technically this should not be an issue for a legit company as bitmain is  Wink

Kind regards,
elrippo

I'm convinced the S4+ is just an attempt to make the S5 look like a better value, so they'll sell more of them. This is a marketing tricking to make the lower priced product seem like a better value.

I don't know if I would say that.  If you had a warehouse or huge operation this would be a nice product as far as the amount of hash it brings.

With not being 110 its not a product for all, but there are some out there that are it's "ideal" customers.

Ideal customers, anyone that cares about power efficiency and has plumbed 205V+ in already? I paid all of $150 to have an electrician drop in two 240V 20A circuits and they've been paying for themselves with EVGA, LEPA, Antminer, other PSUs running an average of almost 10% more efficient.
legendary
Activity: 1456
If i may post a wish for a S6 or S7, this would be 0,25W/GH and a noise level below 30db. Technically this should not be an issue for a legit company as bitmain is  Wink

Kind regards,
elrippo

I don't know if I would say that.  If you had a warehouse or huge operation this would be a nice product as far as the amount of hash it brings.

Activity: 924
That could be and wouldn't surprise me.  Just the same if the S2 upgrade kits ever get released with the initial specs the S5 and S4+ miners won't sell.
Activity: 19

Kind regards,
elrippo

I'm convinced the S4+ is just an attempt to make the S5 look like a better value, so they'll sell more of them. This is a marketing trick to make the lower priced product seem like a better value.
Pages:
Jump to: