Pages:
Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 29. (Read 808757 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Trust me!
July 29, 2014, 05:48:17 AM
At present there are a few unknown solo mining addresses which vary from 1 to 5%

But do you think those are separate AM farms (does it make sense to run them on different addresses, or do you believe one of them is AM?)
If those are franchisees, I don't think they will be doing solo mining. You have to get a continuous income in order to forward your proceeds to AM, franchisees won't solo-mine!
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
July 29, 2014, 05:45:24 AM
Those are big words! What do you think:

- Will FC be able to keep his promise?
- What is the relative hash rate he is aiming at (2013 was a long year, and we've seen like 0%-33% hash rate by AM)

Great questions but if its at least 10% to 20% that is a very high hashrate
At present there are a few unknown solo mining addresses which vary from 1 to 5%
If the percentage they occupy grows larger then its already a significant amount of Bitcoins that will start coming in when the dividends restart, still its the most news we had in a while and we all know AM has a lot of chips that they can turn into mining units.

The announcement they will start building more miners as well means that the hashrate and percentage of the network will not be small.
Can check out the Dogie Guide Tongue
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5035154
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Trust me!
July 29, 2014, 05:42:33 AM
Those are big words! What do you think:

- Will FC be able to keep his promise?
- What is the relative hash rate he is aiming at (2013 was a long year, and we've seen like 0%-33% hash rate by AM)
legendary
July 29, 2014, 05:31:42 AM
It's time to revive this thing

Update

1. Due to the relatively lower interest from individual miners as well as OEM producers, the self mining has re-started from middle of July. We had gain access of cheap electricity and high power capacity. We hope to regain the average hashrate percentage similar to 2013 with this generation of chips.

2. The price rockminer gets is not the sales price. It's the premium of franchising. We gain the part of profits after the devices begin to generate revenue like the franchising of devices. The sales price of chips stay a relatively high margin because our option of building our own devices and sell/deploy is always wide open.

3. We announce the sales of our own devices. We would arrange an offline meeting in Shenzhen first to share more information. We will post the English version of it on the meetup sub-board.

Documented history of AM's hashrate for the people who forget those things or weren't around back then.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkPdXsQFT-vIdHRVUjQ5Ql9BQWR6OENLMkhyUktUblE#gid=9

Upcoming interview with Friedcat:
http://www.bitell.com/t/2026

Date: 13:00-18:00 Beijing time. 2nd August, 2014.

Place: Qidian Coffe, 5th floor A3, Digital Tech Park, 7 7th South Gaoxin Road, Nanshan, Shenzhen (深圳市南山区高新南七道7号数字技术园A3栋5楼起点咖啡)

Topic: The announcement of AM sales of new devices, as well as other aspects on Bitcoin mining.

For Chinese version please check (http://weibo.com/5195261989/BfaCBwCvU?type=repost#_rnd1406615465120)

The forum id (phasebird) will be responsible for questions on this meetup. The sales to regions outside China is also in charge of (phasebird).

To dear shareholders:

We indeed had a hard time starting from the end of 2013. The BE200 performance was inferior than expected, and our prediction for the capacity of OEM producers and the individual mining market was a big miss. However, we had not stopped our work on designing our own products and finding proper farms after our chips passed the tests. Meantime we had tried many cooperations with OEMs (premium+balance payment, chip franchising) but the overall improvement on volume was not significant. Now the new hardware solution matures and we got the resources on deploying, we can turn the newly produced chips to the market where the highest margin is.

There are some guesses about our integrity also starting from the end of 2013. We would like to emphasize the following:

1. There are no umbrella companies from ASICMiner. There are indeed some unsolved conflict of interests on someone investing both on ASICMiner and other chip manufacturers, but ASICMiner did not offer any information other than what it is supposed to do, for example, holding board member meetings.

2. ASICMiner has not participated in its share market in any means.

Wake up ^_^

Also No confirmed AM Mining address but a few unknown ID's to certain bitcoin addresses
https://data.bitcoinity.org/bitcoin/hashrate/6m?c=m&r=week&t=a

https://blockchain.info/pools
https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs

With all the bullish sentiment included  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
July 09, 2014, 10:53:58 AM
i'm not following this stock closely (because my investmen,t is low). Do you guys have any prediction/ETA on dividents?

There is not much information available to the public regarding the commencement of dividends for Gen3. The last update from FC on June 5th stated that it would take 1-1.5 months to sell out the current batch. It is believed that after this batch is sold the company will become cash-flow positive, a requirement for dividends to start once more.

Everything else is speculation. There is a new set of shareholder questions that were submitted to FriedCat on July 1st. When those questions get answered is anyone's guess, however that should bring clarity to your question as it is on everyone's mind currently.

ok, thanks...

I should have just sold my shares at 0.8 BTC when I had the chance... Too greedy... (time after time)
Activity: 617
Merit: 559
July 09, 2014, 10:23:47 AM
i'm not following this stock closely (because my investmen,t is low). Do you guys have any prediction/ETA on dividents?

There is not much information available to the public regarding the commencement of dividends for Gen3. The last update from FC on June 5th stated that it would take 1-1.5 months to sell out the current batch. It is believed that after this batch is sold the company will become cash-flow positive, a requirement for dividends to start once more.

Everything else is speculation. There is a new set of shareholder questions that were submitted to FriedCat on July 1st. When those questions get answered is anyone's guess, however that should bring clarity to your question as it is on everyone's mind currently.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
July 09, 2014, 10:16:27 AM
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
June 30, 2014, 05:08:09 AM
Hey folks, I hate to have to sell at an obvious bottom, but I'm kind of forced to -- so I'm auctioning off my lot of 10 direct AM shares:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/10-asicminer-direct-shares-7-day-auction-663313

There's less than 12 hours left on the auction.  Thanks
legendary
June 30, 2014, 04:46:48 AM
Guys has been a very long time I don't get anymore shares from AM100 is that normal?

There hasn't been a dividend in months and BTCT closed a while ago so their is no drip either
At least I don't think anywhere AM is traded had drip's set up.
Activity: 560
Merit: 251
Tic.eth
June 28, 2014, 12:10:06 PM
Guys has been a very long time I don't get anymore shares from AM100 is that normal?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 19, 2014, 07:36:44 AM
Even if you can't buy your own container from allied control for that cheap you can probably make your own for that price or even less. I somewhat doubt that allied controls 3rd try is the most cost/energy efficient possible with 2-phase immersion cooling. For example 3m was able to cool 4KW with only 0.2 liters of novec. If you could match that then you would only need 50 liters or $2,500 worth of fluid per MW.

There's economies of scale involved. 3M sells the fluid to several industries, including to law enforcement agencies in small quantities to recover fingerprints from extremely sensitive surfaces like facial tissue. 3M's selling price for high quantities is much lower than in small quantities. Same for everything else, including building 2-phase immersion-cooling devices in large scale. Buying a hand full of power supplies is quite different to buying thousands directly from the manufacturer for example. Metal fabricators easily charge twice or triple for low quantities, because a lot of labor is involved when setting up and programming machines or even custom create new tools for fabrication of special metal shapes.

Further, the 3M study was using copper boilers in a simulator. The capability to achieve densities of 4kW in 0.2 liters is inherently already possible right away with current setups. But there is still no hardware which has such power densities (hence only the simulation). It's like squeezing 16 of the latest 250W GPUs onto a PCB the size of two post cards. That's one of the reasons why there is the confidence that this technology can be still used for so many more hardware generations to come, while many other technologies are almost maxed out already.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 19, 2014, 07:08:58 AM
PUE in hong kong is 1.5 average so a 500kw system would use 250kw for cooling. In reality the savings are even more than that because of the performance boost.

Actually, I'm curious about the average PUE of 1.5 in Hong Kong. May I ask where you've got the number from?

There are some very modern DCs with PUE of 1.5-1.6, but it's not the average AFAIK. It's the very best available after Immersion-2:
https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/focus/archive/2013/09/hong-kong-stock-exchange-builds-data-center ("many in HK running at PUE 2–2.5")

The various articles/studies I'm aware of (including above one) are actually pointing towards PUE 2.2 or even higher:
https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/focus/archive/2013/04/apac-data-center-survey-reveals-high-pue-figures-across-region ("average reported PUE is 2.42")

CLP (China Light and Power as Hong Kong's major electricity provider) has released at a data center symposium the results of their own survey in late 2013 with 100+ data centers that the average PUE is 2.2.

Hong Kong is warm even at some nights with more than 30C/86F, paired with 95%+ humidity which makes it very difficult to cool efficiently. So achieving PUE of 1.01 in HKG like for Immersion-2 is extremely low by any standards. This does not add to the discussion on comparison with US data centers, but it actually supports your case in terms of saved electricity costs with Immersion-2 even more.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
June 19, 2014, 04:47:56 AM
Yes I think you could get a datatank for about that price and that is exactly what their IPO is offering.

Even if you can't buy your own container from allied control for that cheap you can probably make your own for that price or even less. I somewhat doubt that allied controls 3rd try is the most cost/energy efficient possible with 2-phase immersion cooling. For example 3m was able to cool 4KW with only 0.2 liters of novec. If you could match that then you would only need 50 liters or $2,500 worth of fluid per MW.

DYI is the wrong way to do a 1MW immersion cooled setup. Not that easy as it sounds. I would definitely let experts handle this.

I see that the DataTank guys aren't selling the DataTank separately so I don't believe that the 500k is a real price. Maybe I will e-mail Allied Control to ask them about the price, but I'm 99% that their price will be much more (at least 50% more)

I'm not sure how 0.6w/gh at the wall transformer for a datacenter is too much power.

I am assuming you mean using SP 28nm chips you could get 2.5PH and you would probably be about right. Question is why are they not taking advantage of this technology?

Yes I was talking about SP 28nm chips. Their future plans are unknown to me, but I remember that Bicknellski wanted to try that. Will see how that goes.
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
June 19, 2014, 04:36:39 AM
It costs about $450k per MW and as I said earlier you are saving ~$100k on fans/heatsinks/cases/etc..

So if I get in touch with DataTank guys they will sell me a 1.2MW DataTank for 540k? That's a good price, but I really don't think it's possible for everyone.

Yes I think you could get a datatank for about that price and that is exactly what their IPO is offering.

Too bad AM chips need too much power for this difficulty. If we ignore hardware costs, then a 200k$ air cooled DC would beat AM chips in the DataTank. If I had the money I could easily fit 2.5PH in a 1MW immersion cooled setup at 0.4w/gh.

I'm not sure how 0.6w/gh at the wall transformer for a datacenter is too much power.

I am assuming you mean using SP 28nm chips you could get 2.5PH and you would probably be about right. Question is why are they not taking advantage of this technology?
legendary
June 19, 2014, 03:41:56 AM
It costs about $450k per MW and as I said earlier you are saving ~$100k on fans/heatsinks/cases/etc..

So if I get in touch with DataTank guys they will sell me a 1.2MW DataTank for 540k? That's a good price, but I really don't think it's possible for everyone.

Last numbers are closer to the reality finally.

Too bad AM chips need too much power for this difficulty. If we ignore hardware costs, then a 200k$ air cooled DC would beat AM chips in the DataTank. If I had the money I could easily fit 2.5PH in a 1MW immersion cooled setup at 0.4w/gh.
June 19, 2014, 03:01:50 AM
I thought 1.5 PUE is in HK, not in WA state. Misleading again!

That is the average in HK. There are plenty of 1.5 PUE DC's in washington. It costs extra money if you want 1.3 PUE but just for fun let's imagine it wouldn't:

Air cooled: $200k(base cost) + $18,000/month

960TH * 0.8w/gh * 1.3PUE = 1MW

Immersion cooled: $350k + $18,000/month

1.66TH * 0.6w/gh * 1.01PUE = 1MW

Or

Air cooling

$0.21/gh at 1.04w/gh

Immersion cooling

$0.21/GH at 0.6w/gh

You also compare air cooling for miners with 1.2W/GH with immersion cooling for miners at 0.6w/gh even if in your example you have 0.8w/gh miners for air cooling. What the fuck?

1.2w/gh is including cooling. (0.8 * 1.5 = 1.2 or 0.8 * 1.3 = 1.04)

Also I just don't think that the immersion cooling is only 350k for 1MW. That's not possible unless a very big subsidize from somebody else. Nice misleading again!

legendary
June 19, 2014, 02:54:49 AM
Your calculations are not including the savings from performance boost.
Here are my calculations for a 1MW WA DC at 0.025$/kwh:
830TH * 0.8w/gh * 1.5PUE = 1MW
Or
Air cooling
$24/gh at 1.2w/gh
Immersion cooling
$0.21/GH at 0.6w/gh

It's too much disinformation in your post. It makes me puke!

I thought 1.5 PUE is in HK, not in WA state. Misleading again!

You also compare air cooling for miners with 1.2W/GH with immersion cooling for miners at 0.6w/gh even if in your example you have 0.8w/gh miners for air cooling. What the fuck?

Also I just don't think that the immersion cooling is only 350k for 1MW. That's not possible unless a very big subsidize from somebody else. Nice misleading again!
June 19, 2014, 02:35:49 AM
Your calculations are not including the savings from performance boost.

Here are my calculations for a 1MW WA DC at 0.025$/kwh:

830TH * 0.8w/gh * 1.5PUE = 1MW

Or

Air cooling

$24/gh at 1.2w/gh

Immersion cooling

$0.21/GH at 0.6w/gh

legendary
June 19, 2014, 02:19:05 AM
Is this the datatank thread? I thought we were talking about the immersion DC in hong kong.

Of course if FC had access to a $0.025/kwh DC he would have used it.

And even at $0.025/kwh you would save ~$0.2/w per year from immersion cooling so it would pay off in less than 2 years.

Also the tanks don't depreciate in value and can be reused for next gen hardware so even more savings.

1.5 PUE is the average for hong kong. And 1.5 PUE is not even bad for an air cooled DC in a hot climate. Spongebobtechs expensive high tech cooling DC only has a PUE of 1.3 iirc and electricity costs probably not much below $0.15/kwh. (considering they are charging $0.27/kwh..)

BTW why are you now saying $0.15 is so bad when only a week ago you were saying that it is completely viable for your customers?

We can mode the discussion to the Datatank thread if you wish.

You haven't replied where are the electricity savings coming from exactly because I still don't get it.

I'm not saying $0.15/kwh is bad. I only said that it's not fair to compare different setups and different power costs to justify a non-existent savings of 200k$.

Let's recap.

1MW WA DC at 0.025$/kwh:
- air cooled: ~18k$ for the power and another ~5.5k$ for cooling= ~23k$ total
- immersion cooled - ~18k$ for the power and another ~200$for cooling = ~18.5k$ total

A 4k$ saved with the immersion cooled setup for an investment of what? At least 500k$? Nice use of money!
June 19, 2014, 01:59:29 AM
Immersion cooling costs nowhere near $1-2/w. The datatank prospectus says about $0.45/w. Keep in mind that this was built in allied controls building so there are some cost savings. There would be another ~$0.1/w savings from not needing heatsinks/fans/cases. (There is also the savings from not needing to buy an AC but ill leave that out)

500kw * $0.35/w = $175,000 (I suspect it was less)

Electricity savings: 250kw *$0.15/kwh * 5000kwh = $187,500

Not sure why the immersion dc has not been filled with gen3 chips but I really doubt FC is simply choosing to wait.

Aren't the all miners requiring the same power to function no matter if they are in immersion cooling or air cooled? Where are the savings coming from? From the difference of cooling with air versus immersion cooling.

Where is the 250kw from? That's the air cooling for 500kw?

No, miners can have a performance boost in immersion cooling as you can see with the datatank somehow managing 0.6w/gh at the wall with BE200 compared to the most efficient air cooled system I've seen (open source BE) is only ~0.9w/gh.

PUE in hong kong is 1.5 average so a 500kw system would use 250kw for cooling. In reality the savings are even more than that because of the performance boost.

So by having an air cooled DC with PUE 1.3 in the same WA state where the immersion cooled Datatank is located I get this numbers (I'm not sure why you multiplied with 5000kwh):

150kW needed to cool 500kW * 0.025$/kwh = 3000$ for cooling costs per month to cool 500kW. Please correct me if I am wrong.

No idea why are you comparing an immersion cooled setup at 0.025$/kwh with air cooling setup at 0.15$/kwh. Disinformation and misguiding at it's best.

Having a DC with PUE 1.5 show exactly how bad FC planned for the future of it's mining operation.

Is this the datatank thread? I thought we were talking about the immersion DC in hong kong.

Of course if FC had access to a $0.025/kwh DC he would have used it.

And even at $0.025/kwh you would save ~$0.2/w per year from immersion cooling so it would pay off in less than 2 years.

Also the tanks don't depreciate in value and can be reused for next gen hardware so even more savings.

1.5 PUE is the average for hong kong. And 1.5 PUE is not even bad for an air cooled DC in a hot climate. Spongebobtechs expensive high tech cooling DC only has a PUE of 1.3 iirc and electricity costs probably not much below $0.15/kwh. (considering they are charging $0.27/kwh..)

BTW why are you now saying $0.15 is so bad when only a week ago you were saying that it is completely viable for your customers?
Pages:
Jump to: