Author

Topic: error - page 178. (Read 360500 times)

Activity: 285
Merit: 251
January 04, 2014, 11:29:26 PM
If the coin has a goal of 2 minute transaction times, then to me it seems logical that the code should attempt to achieve 2 minute transaction times as regularly as possible.

IMO a 720 block retarget is too long to achieve that goal in an environment where the coin is competing with many others for hash power, and large miners and pools can retarget hashpower at will.

I don't believe it benefits anyone when a coin gets stuck at a high difficulty and it subsequently takes days, weeks, or months to mine through all the remaining blocks.   This can and has killed coins, or forced them to hard-fork.    It also has the tendency to kill the coins value because it takes a very long time for transactions to get processed and because miners stop seeing any profit from mining it.    

Essentially the high difficulty is NOT responding to market forces due to an artificially long retarget time.  This is an imbalance in the market, much like a governmental law or regulation that gets in the way of market efficiency.  I would think that any ronpaul supporters reading this should grasp this intuitively.

So to my mind, the coin will be best served if the code is modified to use a faster retarget, something like 10 blocks.  Or even every block for immediate feedback.   Well, I am not an expert.... does anyone know if there is a problem with retargeting immediately?  

You can't do that like this, you have to add more blocks to the formula to avoid totally random difficulty changes.
Don't forget, block target is a goal only achieved once you average hundreds of block at a given difficulty/hashrate.
Each block still has a lot of variance in their resolution time when compared one to another : you can wait 10mn for a block, and then just after only wait for 10s, without changing the hashrate.
Fedoracoin has a 10 blocks retarget time, but when you have a stream of 10 lucky block found, difficulty can triple, and you have to wait sometime 30mn before having a more appropriate difficulty, when in an ideal configuration you should only wait 10mn.

720 blocks is too long, right, but you have to take into account at least 100 blocks to have a more stable difficulty. Independently, you can recalculate it more often, even every block. You just have to at least calculate an average over a sufficient amount of previous blocks.

But I'll say it again, it's far too soon to think of a fork, when this coin is only on one single very low volume exchange.
Activity: 321
Merit: 250
January 04, 2014, 11:13:39 PM
If the coin has a goal of 2 minute transaction times, then to me it seems logical that the code should attempt to achieve 2 minute transaction times as regularly as possible.

IMO a 720 block retarget is too long to achieve that goal in an environment where the coin is competing with many others for hash power, and large miners and pools can retarget hashpower at will.

I don't believe it benefits anyone when a coin gets stuck at a high difficulty and it subsequently takes days, weeks, or months to mine through all the remaining blocks.   This can and has killed coins, or forced them to hard-fork.    It also has the tendency to kill the coins value because it takes a very long time for transactions to get processed and because miners stop seeing any profit from mining it.    

Essentially the high difficulty is NOT responding to market forces due to an artificially long retarget time.  This is an imbalance in the market, much like a governmental law or regulation that gets in the way of market efficiency.  I would think that any ronpaul supporters reading this should grasp this intuitively.

So to my mind, the coin will be best served if the code is modified to use a faster retarget, something like 10 blocks.  Or even every block for immediate feedback.   Well, I am not an expert.... does anyone know if there is a problem with retargeting immediately?  
bsd
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
January 04, 2014, 11:07:31 PM
bsd,

Have you solo mined any Diamond coin? If so, was it easier or more difficult than RPC?

Nah. This site is useful:
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
Activity: 434
January 04, 2014, 10:57:27 PM
bsd,

Have you solo mined any Diamond coin? If so, was it easier or more difficult than RPC?
January 04, 2014, 10:52:22 PM
leewilson just stop embarrassing yourself.

You clearly have no clue how cryptoCURRENCIES work especially on the technical side.

You are complaining about the resulting market opinion in what you believe to be a problem.
You clearly have no clue how the Revolution works.
bsd
January 04, 2014, 10:49:42 PM
leewilson just stop embarrassing yourself.

You clearly have no clue how cryptoCURRENCIES work especially on the technical side.
January 04, 2014, 10:45:53 PM
I don't think the coin needs to be forked just to change difficuly algorithm.  All that needs to happen is price correction on the absurdly low volume exchange that barely anyone uses called coinedup.  As soon as RPC gets on Cryptsy, you will never see prices that far off from what they should be.  The coin should be .03-.05+ right now, then the hash rate wouldn't have cratered.  Soon as the prices correct themselves, hash rate will quadruple or more.  It's just a problem with having prices currently dictated by a low volume exchange.

Yes, but coinedup is often the first exchange to list a new coin this last weeks, and it sets up a price which is a lead for every other future exchanges. That's too bad.
I agree that RPC doesn't need a fork for the time being, this would discourage other exchanges to list it, labeling it as "not stable".
If RPC needs it, so are a lot of other alt coins too.
We just have to wait for coinex/vircurex/cryptsy/others to list it too, and let the price settle.

So now the real work is the marketing work. This will lead to increased value, which leads to increased hashrate, which leads to more stability. I'm not from USA (not even from an english speaking country), but ron paul is one of the few politician I know because of his ideas.

+1  and I believe the marketing should be a very very slow and steady pace.
January 04, 2014, 10:44:34 PM
It was taking cat coins hours to find a block. That means you can't even send your coins anywhere for hours including exchanges that want multiple confirms.

This has nothing to do with pumping and dumping. It's just one flaw in the code that needs to be fixed.

Doges will always be popular no matter what the price is.

It was taking cat coins hours to find a block. That means you can't even send your coins anywhere for hours including exchanges that want multiple confirms.

That is because they were playing hot potato with a piece of shit coin. This is not made to be an alternative for making payments or fast anything.  This is a mine and/or buy and hold.  When I call my stock broker and request a buy or sell it might take a few hours.  As I said before, find another coin.

This has nothing to do with pumping and dumping. It's just one flaw in the code that needs to be fixed.

Wrong.  It takes hours to dig up real gold as well.

This statement really says it all.
Activity: 285
Merit: 251
January 04, 2014, 10:42:36 PM
I don't think the coin needs to be forked just to change difficuly algorithm.  All that needs to happen is price correction on the absurdly low volume exchange that barely anyone uses called coinedup.  As soon as RPC gets on Cryptsy, you will never see prices that far off from what they should be.  The coin should be .03-.05+ right now, then the hash rate wouldn't have cratered.  Soon as the prices correct themselves, hash rate will quadruple or more.  It's just a problem with having prices currently dictated by a low volume exchange.

Yes, but coinedup is often the first exchange to list a new coin this last weeks, and it sets up a price which is a lead for every other future exchanges. That's too bad.
I agree that RPC doesn't need a fork for the time being, this would discourage other exchanges to list it, labeling it as "not stable".
If RPC needs it, so are a lot of other alt coins too.
We just have to wait for coinex/vircurex/cryptsy/others to list it too, and let the price settle.

So now the real work is the marketing work. This will lead to increased value, which leads to increased hashrate, which leads to more stability. I'm not from USA (not even from an english speaking country), but ron paul is one of the few politician I know because of his ideas.
Activity: 322
January 04, 2014, 10:42:10 PM
rpc is looking good, i would like to see it on coinex.pw
bsd
January 04, 2014, 10:39:07 PM
It was taking cat coins hours to find a block instead of 10 minutes.
That means you couldn't send your coins anywhere for hours including exchanges that want multiple confirms.
...so the coin was dying fast unless the hard fork happened.

January 04, 2014, 10:35:47 PM

+1

That's good in theory, but the problem still happened with catcoin.

Catcoin was on 3 exchanges including cryptsy and the diff problem still happened.

The diff shot up really high because of possible multipools. Then maybe ~2/3 of the miners stopped mining at the high diff.
Instead of 10min blocks it then took hours to find a single block. People realized what was going on and the price crashed and everyone started freaking out.

A hard fork was then done quickly and everything is fine now.

Hard fork RPC!

People were freaked out because they were busy mining and holding catcoin...a meme coin put out to grab some of meme doge's hype to continue the pump and dump scheme.  
No one will be holding cat or doge long term.

RonPaul Coin is not a meme and altogether different and has been since the OP.  

If you do not like your chances at trying to pump and dump this coin then you are welcome to find another.

RON PAUL COIN (RPC) RELEASE. RARE COIN! SAFE FROM PUMP-N-DUMPING!

Edit:  And while you are out trying to get coins to lower difficulty then head on over to bitcoin as well or create Obama coin or Hope and Change coin or I'm late to the party so spread the wealth coin. Thanks.
bsd
January 04, 2014, 10:29:47 PM

+1

That's good in theory, but the problem still happened with catcoin.

Catcoin was on 3 exchanges including cryptsy and the diff problem still happened.

The diff shot up really high because of possible multipools. Then maybe ~2/3 of the miners stopped mining at the high diff.
Instead of 10min blocks it then took hours to find a single block and it looked like it was going to take 80 DAYS for the diff to change. People realized what was going on and the price crashed and everyone started freaking out.

A hard fork was then done quickly (today) and everything is fine now.

Hard fork RPC!
Activity: 259
Merit: 10
January 04, 2014, 10:28:57 PM
veebee:  I see your transaction in the blockchain.  Probably you just need to wait a while.   I believe that blocks are taking longer right now due to high difficulty and a drop in network hash power.

nothing come sup under transaction id of 047311a6e19fc61106e89749b66d5c7b49ebc012a7ca63a8a24ea8dabb651eb1

I send my coin from pool to my wallet and they are in less than 5 second show unconfirmed in my wallet and stuck there.. 0 of 6 conf. Guess someone don`t want us to trade
atm...

edit:   after 2 min   2 of 6 confirmed... So its working.
January 04, 2014, 10:26:14 PM
So are we hard forking or not?
Catcoin just did it. The fork had problems but only for ~20min and now it's fine.

Let's do it now and get it over with. Seriously.

Someone needs to contact colinistheman for that to happen.

How long is the diff retarget at present anyway?

I PMed him just now. Awaiting his response.

We need more people in the irc room!

I just pm'd him as well and ask he not do it and to stick to his original guns.

I have not been on the forums for a few days and did realize my request for irc was fulfilled so I will make my way that direction sometime soon.
Activity: 252
!!!INCAKOIN!!!
January 04, 2014, 10:21:28 PM
RBax6CwFwHuDZYwwk8SmJcfaEtBZBVuCKE

tytyytyvm
January 04, 2014, 10:18:29 PM

+1
January 04, 2014, 10:17:21 PM
Hey everybody

I'm the admin of the n0nplusultra pool.

Today i got asked why currently the unconfirmed Balance takes so long to get confirmed. As this is a network problem and not a pool problem i thought i would post into the forum about it:

For your Balance to get confirmed you need 120 Confirmations(120 new Blocks found by the network) normally the block time is 2min.. with a block time of 2min and 120 confirmations we get 2*120= 240min(4 hours)
But right now the Difficulty is way to high for the hashing power therefore the current blocktime is already at 5min...
same calculation 120*5 = 600 min(10 hours).... therfore for your unconfirmed balance to get confirmed it now takes roughly 10 hours.....

i hope this helps out some people who are new into cryptos...

cheers

Kanamatras

And this is also oneof the reason which kills this coin - tomorrow at low diff will lot of hashpower jump in and will push diff skyhigh. On next retarget there will be no oneleft mining except few enthusiasts and block time will be 15 min+. And with 15*120 min for confirmations, no one will give a shit about this coin... Sadly but true.

I disagree with you about no1 giving a shit

This is a rare coin would'nt be very rare if all the coins got mined in a week would it

The scarcity is what will increase it's value The demand for it so far and keeping the price around $18-15 has been great

This coin's value can be double in a week LTC is losing confidence due to whales not allowing any movement apart from the 10cents up and down swings

Why most ppl have been moving onto NMC and PPC to get some fun and thats made the whales jump on them and slow movement down

Which is i for 1 have moved onto RPC dumped my LTC for RPC

+1

I guess someone didn't read the op.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
January 04, 2014, 10:09:32 PM
bsd
January 04, 2014, 10:08:56 PM
So are we hard forking or not?
Catcoin just did it. The fork had problems but only for ~20min and now it's fine.

Let's do it now and get it over with. Seriously.

Someone needs to contact colinistheman for that to happen.

How long is the diff retarget at present anyway?

I PMed him just now. Awaiting his response.

We need more people in the irc room!
Jump to: