Pages:
Author

Topic: Gangs of BitcoinTalk :) - page 9. (Read 7483 times)

copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
March 07, 2020, 08:11:11 PM
Lool, that's exactly what I was thinking about after reading Vod's post: your post about the wolves and the sheep voting for dinner. Great minds think the same Smiley

Obviously I had read his post and it was at the back of my mind.  Smiley

Say what?  Vod, don’t tell me that you are literate in Romanian?

Democrația nu este totuna cu trei lupi și o oaie care votează ce mănâncă la cină: este turma care votează supusă părerea ciobanului dspre lupi. Motiv pentru care lupii sunt o specie pe cale de dispariție.

* nullius likes it better this way:  Ich will auswendig gelernt werden.

Emilia who?

Forget Lauda! .. there’s Nothing more rare, pristine, and beautiful than a Kialara! (Okay Lauda, Maybe Emilia Clarke )  Cheesy

No joke:  I just had to look up Emilia Clarke on Wikipedia...

~

Since you haven't seen game of thrones I will just baffle you with an obscure Game of Thrones reference that you won't understand.

Zu lange wohl lebte ich im Gebirge, zu viel horchte ich auf Bäche und Bäume: nun rede ich ihnen gleich den Ziegenhirten.

Unbewegt ist meine Seele und hell wie das Gebirge am Vormittag.  Aber sie meinen, ich sei kalt und ein Spötter in furchtbaren Spässen.

Und nun blicken sie mich an und lachen: und indem sie lachen, hassen sie mich noch.  Es ist Eis in ihrem Lachen.
* nullius is currently seeking Sanskrit translators for his most precious thoughts.

Well, wow!  Laura is pretty. 3> the dangerous and beautiful cat, « Laura ».

CLASSIFIED TOP SECRET
NSA surveillance photo of Lauda
pwned by nullius

NSA Surveillance Photo of Lauda

* nullius is currently seeking Ægyptian hieroglyphic translators for his most precious thoughts.

nullius is anubis. That is very clear. Anyone who does not see this is simply closing their eyes.

legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737
"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."
March 07, 2020, 04:19:58 AM
there’s Nothing more rare, pristine, and beautiful than a Kialara!

Ah, the trinket market.
Completely off topic I know but indulge me, is this article substantively correct i.e. you got to smash it to cash it?
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
March 06, 2020, 10:43:45 PM
Name one true democracy. There have been compromised attempts but it has always been a compromise.
My room is a democracy in which the inhabitants vote on the next action to take. Sometimes guests even come in and vote on nocturnal activities, but those are confidential tales. Smiley
Gosh, I hope that participation in multiple gangs will keep my values consistent. I'd hate to be in superposition of valuing a Kialara piece over the cat's commands and being ordered with absolute authority to melt down my 3d-printed kill FFrankie coins!

Forget Lauda! .. there’s Nothing more rare, pristine, and beautiful than a Kialara! (Okay Lauda, Maybe Emilia Clarke )  Cheesy
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
March 06, 2020, 07:25:49 PM
Lool, that's exactly what I was thinking about after reading Vod's post: your post about the wolves and the sheep voting for dinner. Great minds think the same Smiley

Obviously I had read his post and it was at the back of my mind.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 6520
Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker
March 06, 2020, 03:26:16 PM

Define "true democracy".

Two lions and a lamb deciding what's for dinner.

Hey, I like lions; and moreover, I disagree:

Democracy is not three wolves and a sheep voting on dinner:  It is the flock obediently voting on the shepherd’s opinion of wolves.  Wherefore wolves are an endangered species.

copper member
March 06, 2020, 02:29:50 PM

That is worse than dog Latin:  It is bitch Latin.  It exemplifies the folly of mashing together words found in an English-Latin dictionary, without having even the slightest clue about Latin grammar.

testimoniumnominative, accusative, or vocative singular of second declension neuter noun testimonium.
libertatumgenitive plural of third declension feminine noun libertas.  No other options than “of liberties” or “liberties’”.
iustitianominative, ablative, or vocative singular of first declension feminine noun iustitia.  Well, I suppose that I could perhaps imagine a way that maybe the ablative could be applied in its instrumental sense to make the whole phrase just a tiny bit less asinine.  (For the beavises and buttheads in the audience, I must clarify that “asinine” evokes an ass in the sense of a donkey, not in the American sense of an arse.)

I am curious about whether my extensive and eminently quotable criticisms have been quoted by anybody who is actually following TEχSHARE’s asinine thread, which I myself can’t be arsed with.

Image: Cat vs. dumb brute

Define "true democracy".

Hey, I like lions; and moreover, I disagree:

Democracy is not three wolves and a sheep voting on dinner:  It is the flock obediently voting on the shepherd’s opinion of wolves.  Wherefore wolves are an endangered species.

pix pls, copy & share @ hi res, #tweet #tweet.  Let me write no more!  Too many people are reading:  Ich will nicht gelesen.

Loading funny image...

Credit for public domain sheep cartoons:  0, 1.
I care about credit, not copyright!
Internal quotations:  Left as an exercise to the reader.
Learning should be dear and not cheap.

So as for cats and lone wolves.

Learning should be dear and not cheap.

* nullius oft enjoys weaving enigmatic little puzzles and/or their solutions into his posts—hidden in plain sight.

Courageous, unconcerned, scornful, coercive...” is what I was taught not to be by my mother, and my kindergarten teacher,* and the finger-wagging Sunday-school teacher who told me that the meek shall inherit the Earth, by the mass-media culture, the movies, the teevee, and the beauty-pageant winner who said that all she wants is world peace and to meet a nice guy.  Sounds great in a swimsuit.  To stand up and face someone down is to be a jerk:  Cruel, contemptuous, forceful, domineering, heartless, as if I’m some aristocrat who looks down his nose at everybody.  It is indubitably unkind and unsympathetic.  Why can’t I at least be nice to somebody who tells me that the sky is green?

Philological protip:  Compare the etymological development of the word “nice” with the proposition, “...der ungefährliche Mensch sein muss: er ist gutmüthig, leicht zu betrügen, ein bischen dumm vielleicht, un bonhomme.  Überall, wo die Sklaven-Moral zum Übergewicht kommt, zeigt die Sprache eine Neigung, die Worte ‘gut’ und ‘dumm’ einander anzunähern.”

“True Democracy”

Actually, Athens was a “true democracy”.  Indeed, the Athenians invented the concept τῆς δημoκρᾰτῐᾱς as it is known to history; it is otiose and obfuscatory to argue that they weren’t a “true” democracy.  Make up your own word, if you wish to describe some even more extreme Utopian fantasy concept that is fallacious in theory and impossible in practice.  My point was not that Athens was not a “true” democracy, but rather, that democracy does not and cannot work as advertised.  That is a matter of design bugs, not bugs in the implementation.

doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised,

What does? Bleach, maybe.

Whereas I can point to other political or political-economic systems that did exactly what they said on the tin.  Imperfectly so, as all works of mere mortals, but more or less consistently for long periods of time—and, unlike democracy, not in flat contradiction of their purported ends.  Inter alia, e.g., the Roman Republic...

[— snip —]

Oops, I was supposed to stop writing so that people would stop reading.

Latest edit (February 29th, 2020): I updated the description of The Flat Earth Believers,

Oh, my.  Don’t get me started...  Writing and thus reading may happen, alas.

My response will be “evil” in its virtù.
Activity: 372
Merit: 39
Ditty! £ $ ₹ € ¥ ¢ ≠ ÷ ™
March 06, 2020, 12:38:26 AM
Define "true democracy".

When I'm driving, it's not a democracy...
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
March 05, 2020, 11:55:57 PM
Define "true democracy".

copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504
Spear the bees
March 05, 2020, 11:53:45 PM
Name one true democracy. There have been compromised attempts but it has always been a compromise.
My room is a democracy in which the inhabitants vote on the next action to take. Sometimes guests even come in and vote on nocturnal activities, but those are confidential tales. Smiley
Gosh, I hope that participation in multiple gangs will keep my values consistent. I'd hate to be in superposition of valuing a Kialara piece over the cat's commands and being ordered with absolute authority to melt down my 3d-printed kill FFrankie coins!
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737
"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."
February 29, 2020, 09:15:52 AM
doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised,

What does? Bleach, maybe.

Name one true democracy.

Define "true democracy".

In the vague spirit of the thread (and the gangs?), I offer Ovid and his Exitus Acta Probat. 

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
February 29, 2020, 08:57:42 AM
Name one true democracy.
Switzerland Cheesy
Too easy to smothlessly run a State when you made up your fortune hosting (and eventually robbing) finances from everyone in the world, no question asked, helping recycle huge amounts of money before it was cool.

Aside from that, living in Switzerland can be tough at times.

TRUE STORY.
A nice Italian family moves  to a very tidy and polite city suburb in the German speaking Switzerland.
They decided to grow an house warming party. Sunday afternoon they called everyone and organised a barbecue with the neighbourhood.
Very nice party, everyone very kind and polite, meeting new friends across the road and feeling part of the community.

It’s 5:00 PM, the party is fading out, the last guests are still at the party.
Bell rings.
Police shows up: “Turn down the music, you are harassing your neighbours who complained about the loud noises coming from your property”.
Those nice blokes called the police just after leaving the party.
That was a true “Welcome to Switzerland!” moment.

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
February 29, 2020, 03:03:17 AM
Name one true democracy.
Switzerland Cheesy
legendary
February 29, 2020, 01:12:11 AM
Latest edit (February 29th, 2020): I updated the description of The Flat Earth Believers, after the recent tragedy from February 26th, 2020:

5. Flat Earth Believers - an inoffensive gang of people with a bizarre belief. They worst way they can harm you is by negative trust; if you don't care about that, you may try to have a beef with them. Edit: as of February 26, 2020, notbatman - the Supreme Leader of this gang - closed the gates of his Church, without any explanation, leaving the believers lost under the (flat?) Sun. The terrible news were brought by suchmoon: "Unfortunately Bitcointalk's most famous flatearther locked his thread after merely ~800 pages without conclusively proving whether the Earth is flat or not". After almost 5 years of hard, scientific debates, everything appears to be lost. Not entirelly though, thanks to suchmoon, which although declined his competences on this delicate matter, he generously offered a shelter for these poor people who lost their leader, but hopefully, not their faith. Thus, with his help, maybe the remains of what was once a prosperous gang, will raise again!

Maybe this post will also help some of these believers to find their path to the new shelter, in case they missed suchmoon's announcement.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
February 28, 2020, 06:44:33 PM

* nullius doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised, or ever will.

Norway, Iceland, Sweden and New Zealand are the closest but still are not "full democracies".

Only Swedish police routinely carry firearms.

Norwegian, Icelandic and New Zealand police generally only have firearms in their vehicles.

Interesting also that both Norway and New Zealand had supremacist attacks which have affected freedoms.

I invite libtwits to explain away the foregoing in 140 characters or less. ;-)

A contweet would be easier. Grin

copper member
February 28, 2020, 11:29:45 AM
A Salutary Lesson from the
Gang of Philological Pedants

Membership: 1

V8s, fillippone, mayhap I counted too soon?

I propose a new gang, which I will call the Latin Kings in honour of Aeneas.

V8s:  You did snip the part whereby I sensibly distinguished the adjectival versus substantive uses of “nullius”, which would be declined differently; and a professor somewhere would probably yell at me for ignoring the modern form of the apex.  That is the “TL;DW” of what will anyway be “TL;DR” for but the few.  “...das will spielen”, so let’s keep this fun! :-)

If Classics Twitter wasn't rife with liberals I'd get the question posed there but it is so I won't and will live on in ignorance.

With due apologies, my good gentleman, I had two reactions to this:

• Please excuse me whilst I vomit at seeing the words “Classics” and “Twitter” mashed together into a phrase. pls dont say that, 🤮 its bad so sad, 😭 i h8 twittr killin litarecy, u get me? 😕 😿 😡 #IlliterateTwits CAN I HAZ WORDS PLS?? kthxbye

But it has a blue checkmark!
    I TEACH U CLASSICS IN 140 CHARS #TWEET #TWEET

* nullius has heard many fine academic jokes that end with the words, “standards are falling”.  Hah, hah—only serious!

• What, you would trust the just-so stories of libtwits as to the classics, of all things?

in the spirit of Ancient Rome, what has been democratically decided

A small historical aside:  Rome was never a democracy.  In the era of the Republic (including the time of the Punic Wars between Rome and Carthage), it was a society divided into rigid social classes, with most of the power held by patricians as a sort of a large, hereditary quasi-aristocracy.  In the time of the Empire, obviously, Rome was a dictatorship—literally, a dictatorship, starting with the Senate’s grant to Julius Caesar of a lifetime title* of dictator perpetuo.  That was whilst he was alive; after he was dead, they passed a law declaring him to be a god, and the name “Caesar” became a title forever synonymous with “Emperor; lifetime dictator” not only in Latin, but also in German (Kaiser), Russian (Czar), and other languages.

(* In Roman law, the position of dictator had previously a short-term position of emergency power for leadership in times of existential threat to Rome; cf. Cincinnatus, who was glorified for voluntarily renouncing his absolute power of dictatorship as soon as the crisis was resolved—15 days into his six-month legal term as dictator.)

Athens had a bout with democracy.  The right to vote was reserved to free adult male citizens, thus excluding women, metics (legal resident aliens), and a massive slave population—only about 10% of the population had the vote.  The system was still so unstable and prone to corruption that it lasted for less than a century in truly democratic form.

Worst moment of Athenian democracy:  The vote to kill Socrates.  Best moment of Athenian democracy:  The rise of a strongman populist leader, Pericles, whose very name grew to symbolize the glory of Athens at its height.

* nullius doubts that this “democracy” thing ever really worked as advertised, or ever will.

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392
Be a bank
February 27, 2020, 05:10:24 AM

nullius is genitive

* nullius wavius handius ;-)

NominativeNullius
GenitiveNullii
DativeNullo
AccusativeNullium
AblativeNullio
VocativeNulli

Probably I snipped the bit where you explain how nullius is genitive one minute but nominative the next, but possibly this cunningly concealed error is actually designed to make us humans think nullius is also human lol.

Did Latin have diacritics? That pictured thing is just for stress and a bit of a nonsense, no?

That phrase, nullius illum miseret, (and nullius ille miseretur) is very hard, and I wonder where it comes from, it just seems to have ossified as a phrase in Gouldman and then Robertson. Someone please correct us here. If Classics Twitter wasn't rife with liberals I'd get the question posed there but it is so I won't and will live on in ignorance.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
February 27, 2020, 03:17:55 AM

~snip~
I should point out that I'm one of the six people in the known universe who hasn't actually watched Game of Thrones
~snip~
Make it Seven :-P
I have no idea what the hack is this Game of Thrones all about? :-)

I don’t have a television... or a smartphone.

No TV is needed to watch Game of Thrones - only a computer. Since you haven't seen game of thrones I will just baffle you with an obscure Game of Thrones reference that you won't understand.

copper member
February 26, 2020, 10:47:46 AM
I hope I'm the first one congratulating you, nullius!

You are indeed the first; and I am pleased to have marked on your thread a moment that would have occurred on 2018-07-17 (Activity Period 1265), had I not slept awhile.

As a practical matter, the Supreme Leader of the Nullian Un-Gang can now use in his signature. ;-)
legendary
February 26, 2020, 10:32:05 AM
And thus, with my first bump in Activity Period 1308, I hereby shall be wreathed with the rank of Senior Member as soon as the activity system updates.

The system updated! I hope I'm the first one congratulating you, nullius! (Or at least among first ones Smiley )
A well deserved rank up!
copper member
February 26, 2020, 10:00:11 AM
Ante litteras:  Populo et popularitate panis et picturae sunt.

“Oile nu pot fi învățate să gândească, precum câinii nu pot fi dresați să cânte fragmente de operă.” — nullius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Tcd1jdW74

I literally lolled!  By that, I mean:  I lazily, oafishly laid about without bothering to wheel out youtube-dl so that I could—say what!?  How do you find these things?  Thank you, xtraelv. :-)

As for the pic, LOL.

Anyway, if I were American, I’d take Tweedledum.  No, wait—Tweedledee.  No—  I can’t decide!

I think the correct choice is neither.

Loading image of Tweedledum and Tweedledee...

This is why I say:  Don’t vote.  By voting, you grant your moral and practical political endorsements to a corrupt system:  An ochlocracy manipulated by a plutocracy.  The result is kakocracy:  Rule of the worst.

If you vote, then you are part of the problem.

Man and Technics

I believe nullius has a more optimistic view of the future than I do.  Smiley

“Optimism is cowardice.” — Spengler (writing most of a hundred years ago)

GazetaBitcoin’s well-researched OP led me to many interesting posts that I had not seen, e.g.:

~snip~
I should point out that I'm one of the six people in the known universe who hasn't actually watched Game of Thrones
~snip~
Make it Seven :-P
I have no idea what the hack is this Game of Thrones all about? :-)

I don’t have a television... or a smartphone.

Keeping up with the theme:

* nullius illum miseret

+5 to the first adequately to explain the pun that I just made.  This offer is time-limited to 24 hours from the posting hereof.

Ph.D is a term used in the Anglophone world as shorthand for Philosopiae doctor, or doctor in philosophy.
The term Philosophy comes from the Latin word “philosophĭa”, which is derived from the Greek word ϕιλoσoϕία, whose roots are φιλεῖν (phileîn- to love) and «σoϕία» (sophia-knowledge).
So the first and most ethanol ogi al correct meaning of philosopher is “knowledge lover”. Definitely someone who shouldn’t need to lookup in a dictionary how to spell his title.

+1 for thinking it through from abstract first principles, and for the correct etymology τῆς φῐλoσoφῐᾱς—to which I will add that in Latin, doctor means ‘teacher’:  Thus, one entitled philosophiae doctor is not only a lover of wisdom, but a teacher of the love of wisdom,  It is (or ought be) a degree only for those rare minds and rarefied souls who truly advance the state of the arts.

Whereas my point here was more as to the historical implications:

* nullius condemns and contemns the award of so-called “Ph.D.” degrees to anybody who cannot spell philosophiae doctor without looking it up in a dictionary—or who cannot readily explain the origins and meaning of the term.

From the Renaissance until the early Twentieth Century, a university education meant a liberal education (in the now-archaic sense of that word!), id est scholarship humanitatis (iterum dico!), that had as a basic undergraduate requirement of facility in the Graeco-Roman classics, and especially a consummate mastery of Latin.

Never mind a Ph.D.:  No sheepskin at all for you, unless you know Latin far better than I do!

Observe that the scientific, medical, and other scholarly jargons are loaded with Latin and Greek words.  Who nowadays pauses to ask why, as did I when I was yet young?  The men who originated these words were not pretentious dolts kludging up fancy-looking stuff from the dictionary just to show off:  They actually knew Latin and Greek; and they naturally identified new concepts in the languages of the educated classes.  Indeed, if you wish to study the history of early modern science from primary sources, then you must prepare to encounter whole scientific treatises written from cover to cover in a fluent neoclassical Latin.

Anyway, none of this was relevant to the pun for which I offered +5:

Nullius illum miseret, si scribere 'Philosophiæ’ non scit

I would add that to my forum signature, if but only it had the spare space!

Of course, the pun is that I made it look to the naïve reader as if I had said, “Nullius pities him”—whereas in a post wherein I had alluded to stock phrases, I used a handy stock phrase meaning, “He pities nobody.”

* nullius illum miseret

nullius illum miseret

Nullius: nullius illum miseret!

I have had a miserable time struggling to grasp the proper use of the word miseret.  A classicist could help; but alas, I am only a classist, not a classicist.

nullius is genitive, and illum is accusative—and miseret is an irregular verb with no conjugations outside the third person (plus infinitives, etc.).  Also n.b. that in classical Latin, nullius is an adjective, not a substantive.  I will presently clarify my use thereof.

Untangling that is left as an exercise to the reader.

* nullius wavius handius ;-)

Official Cases of “Nullius”

In classical Latin, as aforesaid, “nullius” is used as an adjective, not a noun.  However, it can be properly construed and inflected as a noun.  By analogy to the inspiration of my nomen, Octavius (later known as Imperator Caesar Divi f. Augustus), here are the official cases of my name in the second declension:

NominativeNullius
GenitiveNullii
DativeNullo
AccusativeNullium
AblativeNullio
VocativeNulli

Macrons are omitted, for I am lolling about lazily—and my Xorg keyboard layout (—for all its “fancy” Unicode®—) seems to have been designed by somebody with no use for the macron.

Hmmm.  Laura has been addressing me as “Nully”, which seems quite close to the grammatically correct Latin vocative.  Does the cat speak enciphered Latin?

Whilst travelling on business in Carpathia,
I doxed Lauda:

Lauda: ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPH

Nullian Senior Laurel Wreath with Four Coins

And thus, with my first bump in Activity Period 1308, I hereby shall be wreathed with the rank of Senior Member as soon as the activity system updates.

Cheers.

Zu lange wohl lebte ich im Gebirge, zu viel horchte ich auf Bäche und Bäume: nun rede ich ihnen gleich den Ziegenhirten.

Unbewegt ist meine Seele und hell wie das Gebirge am Vormittag.  Aber sie meinen, ich sei kalt und ein Spötter in furchtbaren Spässen.

Und nun blicken sie mich an und lachen: und indem sie lachen, hassen sie mich noch.  Es ist Eis in ihrem Lachen.
Pages:
Jump to: