Pages:
Author

Topic: Giveaway threads are not allowed - page 42. (Read 898669 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
January 27, 2014, 03:37:37 PM
I just noticed now all the threads being closed. I think it would be nice just to have a giveaways section so it would make the forum more tidy as opposed to banning them as many of us wouldn't get to know of all the coins and the giveaways are incentives for peeps like me who don't mine to get the word out on our social sites for the new coins as we never know what coin will last the whole hog and it is a bit of fun too. Just my 2 bit. Grin Grin
rnp
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Bullish on BitCoins
January 27, 2014, 03:17:26 PM
I think eradicating them from the Announcement section made sense. It was crazy. I participated, and it was even fun to a point, but crazy.

I was even one asking in meta about trying to sort through threads.

I think adding a sub-forum makes the most sense. Just label it "here there go dragons" and disable the report button there. Don't offer support or mediation. You still get the traffic.

Or dump altcoin altogether and linking offsite to someone willing to put up with it.

It will be funny if enough enemies are made that an altcoin (is Lightcoin considered an AltCoin?) overtakes BitCoin.

Don't be a Whig, LaserDisc, BetaMAX or RIPScript (challenge: which references do you get?) in this political battle. You had almost worthless coins noone respected once.

In the end it's your site, and as big as it is, your power to wield.

Just try to be a little more diplomatic.

And anyone claiming free speech, free market or unfair as an excuse for saying this isn't right misses the point of all three.

Those complaining about AltCoin spam probably look at unread threads forum-wide or something like that (I do). Everything on that page was giveaways.

Hopefully your new forum software addresses things like this so people can put blinders on forums. After all, not everyone cares about politics either.

Just my 2¢

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 03:06:32 PM
It is pretty obvious the mods are overwhelmed with all the posts here in the altcoin section, but if you have 5 mods or something that have to mod 5000 people that is obviously not going to work.

so they basically have 3 options.

1 = more mods, so there can be more effective moderation, dealing with the ever growing number of posters and post.
2 = try to limit the number of posts by banning certain posts.
3 = create an unmoderated forum section , called wasteland or something, where folks can spam all they like and focus moderating on the other forums.

Looks to me the handfull of mods here have lost control, because the forum just became too busy and now they are hitting the emergency breaks, even considering banning alt-coins all together, well. It is their site and they can do with it whatever they like of course, we are just guests, but right now this forum is the epi-center of the entire cryptocurrency world and I'm pretty sure if they get rid of alt-coins it wont stay this way and this forum will just became one of many little places where folks talk about bitcoin. So basically they will just remove themselves from the market. It is like if a big retailer would say, it is just getting too busy in our shop, we cant handle all the customers, we dont have enough staff, from now on we just going to sell one brand , so it is not as crowed in our store anymore.  Wink
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
see my profile
January 27, 2014, 03:03:26 PM
Lawmaker:
Reasons:
Pro-giveaways:
Ideas, solutiontalk
the whole altcoin section causes problems

I am very happy.
It's always fascinating to see a self-reflecting system trying to change itself.
And I am optimistic, afterwards will be better than before.

A few thoughts about possible improvements.  What about:

• Hiring people to clean up subsections - there are lots of newbies who would like to work for cryptocurrencies, and if any place then it is this here which is full of money to finance jobs.

• Acknowledging that it's the need for money which encourages to ask for donations, and participate in give-aways.

• Improving the search function?  I found the built-in one to be rather useless, because it's time locked. No way of making a search incrementally better. But a solution came quick, I have gotten used to using google with site:bitcointalk.org.  But still, better search functions will help a lot. Why not have a search where I can exclude whole branches of the subtopic trees from my results, and save that as one of my default searches?

• Giveaways create too much garbage here, yes. But if we solve that, they do something positive - they invite to try and download a new software. It's more than "download, install, make address, post, hope, sell". If I like a certain variant of the wallet, it binds me to that currency. It gives programmers the chance to have a few hundred testers within a day. It actually accelerates the evolutionary process.

• Answers to giveaway calls ... only by PM. Now that the trouble is named, it's so easy to see. Why at all put wallet addresses into an open forum discussion, I can send them by PM to the OP. More privacy, too.

• Introducing a new button "Downvote / I-judge-this-as-spam / Don't want to see this", which increments a counter, and above a certain threshold, a human has a look a the posting.

• A bounty for programming a stand-alone give-away website, where all give-aways can happen. In bitcointalk.org only one link needs to be posted.
  • Crowdbounty funding until someone says "yes, I do it, I built that". Can't be too difficult. Please donate 3% of your profits to me and my projects, and you can take this idea :-)

• Until that website is ready, trying out if a giveaway sub-subsection will save the day. Of course, remove that from the "what's new" stream.

• Removing certain subforums completely from the main "what's new" stream. Whenever any subforum gets too active, it will always annoy the rest. Make another "What's New in Altcoins" news stream.

• A separate Newbie section in altcoins?  Newbies would graduate into being able to post in altcoins, but still not yet in other subforums, until they develop a respect for the rest of the larger world outside those crazy coin starts.

• Acknowledging, that altcoins ARE a gamechanger, already. Evolution.

Please don't shoot the messenger, those ideas are not perfect, I am just brainstorming ...

Enjoy whatever you do. Bon appetit.

And: Happy mining!
(click)

P.S.: This discussion has already found a lot of viewpoints and angles onto the problem at hand, and I don't want to add much more to it, just one observation: The Four Agreements could help.  The level of anger, resentment, hatred, insults, allegations, assumptions, accusations, complaints, fraud ... and what-have-you ... is quite shocking for a newbie.  I have entered this forum here only 2 months ago, and I am mainly in the altcoin section.
Man, I have seen darkness since then, it's quite incredible.  You learn to ignore and overlook a lot.  But still, it's very ugly.  Why why why?
Is it because ... what money means for (some) humans?   My question: Is this aggression a special aspect of the altcoin subforum, or is it a general problem in bitcointalk?

Activity: 420
Merit: 263
let's make a deal.
January 27, 2014, 02:59:19 PM
...Either remove alts from the forum or let people do their own stuff.
Thats the next plan if this doesn't help.
Stop being such a gangster.

''before the whole alt currencies section gets deleted'' <= Wont happen, ever. Capone.
It's staff's mistake, not people's mistake. They could make a new sub-forum AGES ago, instead of closing threads.
Most of the admins/mods are lazy, bored to move their little finger. That's what happens....

Could be as soon as today if I can't get things straightened up.

You would be surprised by how many reports the Alt Currency section generates per day, far more than the rest of the entire forum combined. I'd say about 200-300 on a non busy day, but I've seen 1,000+ on heavy traffic days. At 30 seconds to finish an action on reports that dont involve reading a page of context to decide a report's validity, you are looking at a minimum of an hour and a half worth of Alt Coin reports to deal with, thats like on a Sunday when there isn't much traffic.
managing a large forum is a thankless job, so a big thanks for this.  

I appreciate the altcoin forums being hosted here as it got me into scrypt mining in the first place.  however long they stay here, i'm happy to read and participate.

However, the conduct and signal:noise is completely different in the altcoin subfora than the rest of the site.  The useless crap that's spewing out of this forum means i can't even read the altcoin forum anymore for information, which is why i came here in the first place.  I can only imagine what users that have been here for years think about the shitty spam-spewing altcoin forum, or the shitty users that inhabit it (like me!)

lots of people in this thread should check whatever entitlement they think they have at the door.   This forum has close to a quarter million members, and anybody that thinks admins that run this site are lazy or bored has lost the plot.  
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I'm dying.
Activity: 826
see my profile
January 27, 2014, 02:19:21 PM

Lawmaker:

Most giveaway threads are no longer allowed in the Alternate cryptocurrencies sections.

Specifically, you are not allowed to give people any incentive to post insubstantial posts in your threads.

You can do giveaways off-site and link to the giveaway page in a thread.

Reasons:

Are giveaways as part of an announcement-thread still allowed?
No, it promotes spam, it's detrimental to actual discussion, and brings nothing at all of value to the forum.
It's never been allowed on the forum in general

I liked the alt currencies section once upon a time, but it's completely and utterly worthless at the moment because of all the spam.

random newbies with 1 post that infiltrate the other forums with "buy xxx " "xx coin is the solution".

demanding that posters vote them onto cryptsy

Pro-giveaways:

I don't have equipment to mine GPU coins so giveaways are the only way I'm able to participate in using those particular coins

I personally discovered BitcoinTalk because of one of these giveaway threads

these altcoins are directed towards BTC-turnover and trade, some of which comes from direct $$$ put into BTC for acquiring another altcoin.

it's not a good move to restrict such thing. It's nothing bad. Lock/delete existing giveaway topics, clean the mess. It might take you 3 hours, instead of taking you 3 hours per day, every day. Make a new subforum where we actually can promote things. Where we can bring more people.

Ideas, solutiontalk

Why not to make a special subforum for giveaways? It will be good for everyone.

whats next limiting each altcoin to 1 thread lol

I'm willing to PAY with my own money for a HDD/SSD just to have a giveaway section.

Use search function. There's something called ''bookmark'' as well.

Bitcointalk encourages people to go to their own forums, we outright say that this is not the place for your to post every detail about your coin.

In the most blunt possible way of saying it, is we want people to go away to their own forums.

the whole altcoin section causes problems

You would be surprised by how many reports the Alt Currency section generates per day, far more than the rest of the entire forum combined.

you are looking at a minimum of an hour and a half worth of Alt Coin reports to deal with, thats like on a Sunday when there isn't much traffic.
3-4 hours isn't uncommon, and when dogecoin was first released it was far more than that.

Its not laziness, its trying to remove spam, not content in general.

Having an Alt Coin Giveaway subforum doesn't fix the problem, it just shifts the spam to another subforum.

Everytime someone posts, it adds that post about some Alt Coin that 99.5% of the forums aren't interested in to the recently posted lists

If we want to keep the alt coin section at all, we have to make some changes, and we are hoping that removing the giveaway threads will help.

An incomplete, and subjective summary. Below are ...

... my 2 Dents.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
January 27, 2014, 02:16:26 PM
I am newbie here, but having separate setion for giveaways sound reasonable since the ''alternate crypto'' are flooded with topics.

Maybe separate section only for giveaways wouldn't hurt so much Wink
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
January 27, 2014, 02:02:40 PM
I don't really post in this forum since it got out of hand with all the crapcoin clones coming out daily and giveaways spammed everywhere, but I'm not really interested in alts anyway, but I think there's only two options now: either get rid of the alt coin section altogether or create a separate giveaway section.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
January 27, 2014, 02:01:16 PM
what part about you are welcome to delete all the ADT giveaway threads don't you understand ?

You didn't say anything about giveaway threads, you said everything besides your repair thread, whatever it is.
Feel free to remove everything ADT related from this forum except the repair thread we will be making 1 new ANN Thread and everything other than that will be of this forum

Along with this quote, it's pretty clear you didn't mean just giveaways, stop trying to troll, you suck at it. Again, this thread is about giveaways and the spam.
whats next limiting each altcoin to 1 thread lol
legendary
Activity: 868
ADT developer
January 27, 2014, 01:58:43 PM
I think you will find there are other motives behind these changes the main one being that the altcoins section had more posts than the entire bitcoin section 

how does it make bitcoin look if there are more posts about altcoins than there are about BTC ?
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 01:55:33 PM
Most giveaway threads are no longer allowed in the Alternate cryptocurrencies sections. From now on, posting or replying to such threads could result in being banned. Existing threads will be locked.

Specifically, you are not allowed to give people any incentive to post insubstantial posts in your threads. You can't offer to pay people who post their addresses, usernames, etc. You can do giveaways off-site and link to the giveaway page in a thread, but you can't give people any bonus for replying to your thread.

Similar threads are already restricted to Games and Rounds in the non-altcoin sections, but the giveaway-related post volume is so high in the altcoin sections that I've decided to just ban them entirely here.

I contacted you about this months ago and asked for a sub-forum in the alt section because it was flooded with giveaways. Why not create a sub-section? Banning all together is harsh, some people reply on giveaways to get their coin up and running. Bitcoin had giveaways in it's early days. Is this just another move to try and kill alt coins so you can protect your bitcoin stash?
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I'm dying.
January 27, 2014, 01:47:33 PM
I understand that the forum name is 'bitcointalk' and not altcointalk. But there's already a section for alt-coins. Which means we can      talk      about anything we like ( that's how I see it and more than 90% other people )

Good that you mention it, there's no "talking" going on in giveaway threads, just spamming with your address to increase post count and earn a few bitcents from signature ad payouts.

Se this basically means that we will no longer be able to receive coins for free ?

You can, just do it off-site or over PM.

I really don't give a damn about my post count. You can delete all my posts each week, I wont mind. I might even pay you 100 USD per week if you do so.

Why the heck everyone is being such a smartass ?
http://prntscr.com/2n36q7
legendary
ADT developer
January 27, 2014, 01:47:17 PM
Feel free to remove everything ADT related from this forum except the repair thread we will be making 1 new ANN Thread and everything other than that will be of this forum

No? You don't control other people's discussion.

lol other than the 2 threads I mentioned its just giveaways unless you want to keep them ?

Giveaways aren't discussion you dope. And stop trying to promote your coin in this thread, this is about giveaways and the resulting spam.

what part about you are welcome to delete all the ADT giveaway threads don't you understand ?

this thread is about giveaways cluttering up this forum is it not ? 
legendary
January 27, 2014, 01:44:08 PM

lol other than the 2 threads I mentioned its just giveaways unless you want to keep them ?

Giveaways aren't discussion you dope. And stop trying to promote your coin in this thread, this is about giveaways and the resulting spam.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
January 27, 2014, 01:44:00 PM
I understand that the forum name is 'bitcointalk' and not altcointalk. But there's already a section for alt-coins. Which means we can      talk      about anything we like ( that's how I see it and more than 90% other people )

Good that you mention it, there's no "talking" going on in giveaway threads, just spamming with your address to increase post count and earn a few bitcents from signature ad payouts.

Se this basically means that we will no longer be able to receive coins for free ?

You can, just do it off-site or over PM.
legendary
ADT developer
January 27, 2014, 01:38:48 PM

legendary
January 27, 2014, 01:35:16 PM

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
January 27, 2014, 01:34:55 PM

I've been moderator in a forum with 100k+ people (gamers).
Not people interested if cryptos. That's much worse than your position in this forum.

I know what you're talking about, I understand you. But still, it's not a good move to restrict such thing. It's nothing bad. Lock/delete existing giveaway topics, clean the mess. It might take you 3 hours, instead of taking you 3 hours per day, every day.
Make a new subforum where we actually can promote things. Where we can bring more people.

I understand that the forum name is 'bitcointalk' and not altcointalk. But there's already a section for alt-coins. Which means we can talk about anything we like ( that's how I see it and more than 90% other people )

You can even make a non post count section for such purpose.

Giveaway KING Smiley

I follow you, but what people don't seem to understand, is that Bitcointalk encourages people to go to their own forums, we outright say that this is not the place for your to post every detail about your coin. In the most blunt possible way of saying it, is we want people to go away to their own forums.

This is primarily a Bitcoin forum, that much we are on agreement with. The Alt Currency section was made to be a place to isolate the maybe 100 alt currency threads that there were at the time of creation of the board. It was not designed to handle this much volume, nor did we plan for it, or want it to happen. Everytime someone posts, it adds that post about some Alt Coin that 99.5% of the forums aren't interested in to the recently posted lists etc, so people that are looking for new information about something Bitcoin related on that list are getting drowned out by *insert day old coin name*

Having a giveaway subforum does not help. We don't want to reorganize giveaway threads, we want them to be hosted on forums dedicated to other coins. Its not our job to handle masses and masses of Alt coin information, if someone wants to know more about their own coin, they should go to their own coin's forum. Theres nothing wrong with an announcement thread and a bit of discussion, however with the 600+ Alt coins (that I know of) there really isn't room here, and there is no desire to accomodate it.

If we want to keep the alt coin section at all, we have to make some changes, and we are hoping that removing the giveaway threads will help. We have measures in place to keep the amount of post spam to a minimum, but there are thousands of posts in Alt coin giveaway threads over very short periods of time. Alt Coin giveaway threads are actually the exception, because we wouldn't allow Bitcoin giveaway threads like these anywhere else on the forum. Even the ones in games and rounds pale in comparison.
legendary
ADT developer
January 27, 2014, 01:32:27 PM
Pages:
Jump to: