Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 134. (Read 458255 times)

legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Good morning,

Just recently the server suffered from some issue likely related to our postgresql database software. We're investigating further and I will post details later today when the cause is determined.

No systems compromised and no data lost.

Thanks

Wk

Greetings,

Just an update, stats are back online.

I've traced the issue back to some type of disk i/o hang early this morning, which caused enough delay for stats update tasks to overlap.  That combined with accesses from the web server hanging and such caused enough of a resource pile up waiting on disk usage to hang the server for a bit.

I've adjusted some settings and will be putting better checks in the stats update scripts to make sure that this doesn't happen again in the event of some i/o hang.

Still investigating the initial cause of the i/o hold up, but, I doubt it is anything serious.

-wk
legendary
Good morning,

Just recently the server suffered from some issue likely related to our postgresql database software. We're investigating further and I will post details later today when the cause is determined.

No systems compromised and no data lost.

Thanks

Wk
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
But, overall, CPPSRB works best with any consistent miner.

-wk

Are you certain about that? How are intermittent miners penalised? I'd thought CPPSRB was fine for all miners, big or small, consistent or intermittent.
There's no penalty. But a intermittent miner would throw all their shares within a certain part of the share log, so the possibility that part of the sharelog goes unpaid would mean a higher % lost than if the same shares were spread out over the sharelog more.
Activity: 239
Merit: 250
Yes it does. Thank you.

Seems like with this schema that a smaller contributor can be left out in the cold more often and not have as regular payouts. Even if they contribute with a regular and consistent hashrate. Is this correct?

Actually, no.  The system is basically tailored to work best for miners with ANY consistent hash rate.  The variance of lucky and unlucky blocks will let any miners average around 100% PPS, with the pool never "forgetting" about any share's value, even for a 1MH/sec miner.  Granted, it will take a smaller miner much longer to reach our minimum payout (which I believe I will be calling a vote for adjustment), but, that's with any type of minimum payout at any pool.

-wk

When you say 'much longer'. What are the timescales? I'm mining at aprox. 800 MH/sec. Could you guess a average payout window?

Just asking because as i've experienced mining here for the past 3 days, is after 2 days I became stuck about half way under the minimum payout. Which I understand is due to a run of bad luck, and I'm not actually losing money.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.

-wk

Are you certain about that? How are intermittent miners penalised? I'd thought CPPSRB was fine for all miners, big or small, consistent or intermittent.
legendary
Yes it does. Thank you.

Seems like with this schema that a smaller contributor can be left out in the cold more often and not have as regular payouts. Even if they contribute with a regular and consistent hashrate. Is this correct?

Actually, no.  The system is basically tailored to work best for miners with ANY consistent hash rate.  The variance of lucky and unlucky blocks will let any miners average around 100% PPS, with the pool never "forgetting" about any share's value, even for a 1MH/sec miner.  Granted, it will take a smaller miner much longer to reach our minimum payout (which I believe I will be calling a vote for adjustment), but, that's with any type of minimum payout at any pool.

-wk
Yes it does. Thank you.

legendary
Can you please explain this? I've read through the wiki and don't understand why I'm seeing this behavior.

I just started mining with this pool about three days ago. I've been watching the stats page for my Eligius account(Payout address). The first 48 hours I have earned the expected payout amount for my hashrate. But starting right at the 48 hour mark in, my payout started going to the bonus field. And now it looks like all of my payout is going to the bonus field for the past 24 hours, all while my regular payout fluctuates by about  0.0001, constantly being added to and deducted from in waves.

Here's a short example.

.24236895(Starting payout)
.24234715(Pay for Share "A")
.24233080(Pay for Share "B")

.12047178(Starting Bonus at Share "A")
.12053847(Bonus for Share "B")

This is how our new reward system behaves during "unlucky" rounds.  Please review CPPSRB - Capped PPS with Recent Backpay for details, however, I will try to explain this with regard to the actual stats right now.

CPPSRB logs every share in a share log, placing the newest mined shares at the "top" of the log.  Every so often (currently every second or so) the code tallies up the latest 25 BTC worth of shares, as those shares would all be paid if we found a block at that moment.  Now, if you continuously mine, and the current round leads to more than 25 BTC worth of shares being mined without the pool finding a block, older shares are no longer in this top 25 BTC worth of shares. Assuming you mine at a relatively steady hashrate, your new shares will come in at about the same rate your older shares of the round are bumped out of the top 25 BTC window, and are then tallied in the "Extra credit" field.  When a block is found, the top 25 BTC worth of shares are paid, and the next 25 BTC worth of shares are then at the top of the share log (moving units from "Extra Credit" to part of the estimated unpaid balance) ready to be paid as soon as a block is found, but, the share log is constantly growing, and the newest shares take priority, obviously, so things are constantly changing in realtime.

The short answer to why your balance "stopped" increasing is because you are only adding shares to the top of the share log at your hashrate, and other miners are doing the same, so, the window of the top of the share log is always sliding past your older shares during this unlucky round, making the older shares "Extra credit" for now, until we find a block(s) that are able to pay off that far back into the share log.

Hope this helps.

-wk
Can you please explain this? I've read through the wiki and don't understand why I'm seeing this behavior.

I just started mining with this pool about three days ago. I've been watching the stats page for my Eligius account(Payout address). The first 48 hours I have earned the expected payout amount for my hashrate. But starting right at the 48 hour mark in, my payout started going to the bonus field. And now it looks like all of my payout is going to the bonus field for the past 24 hours, all while my regular payout fluctuates by about  0.0001, constantly being added to and deducted from in waves.

Here's a short example.

.24236895(Starting payout)
.24234715(Pay for Share "A")
.24233080(Pay for Share "B")

.12047178(Starting Bonus at Share "A")
.12053847(Bonus for Share "B")
legendary
Manual payout to knock out a good chunk of the payout queue that seemed to be "stuck" since the reward halving.

Bitcoin transaction af9853ded9419161d49ff62f14cffb4c0cd6f7c07a09eb559b839a4dcc1579af

-wk
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Haha very true. I might just stick your pool in there somewhere Wink
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
I really like the idea of the new reward method, looks interesting, but I already have 3 pools I send hashes to. I wish I could mine on all the interesting pools!
BFGMiner can do a variety of pool balancing acts. See README Smiley
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
I really like the idea of the new reward method, looks interesting, but I already have 3 pools I send hashes to. I wish I could mine on all the interesting pools!
legendary
OK I just wanted to confirm what I thought.  I'm afraid I'm too small to mine at eligius any more.  Cry

If you ping me I can always do a manual payout if needed.

Also, if there is interest, the minimum can be changed.  I do plan on making this per-miner configurable in the future.

-wk
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
OK I just wanted to confirm what I thought.  I'm afraid I'm too small to mine at eligius any more.  Cry
legendary
Hey WK is the minimum payout still 0.67 BTC?

400 TBC (so about 0.67 BTC) still yes.

Although, 1 week of no change in unpaid balance overrides the minimum still.

Also, I broke my main PC Monday and Im waiting on replacement parts which should arrive Monday.  So I wont be as active until then.

-wk
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
Hey WK is the minimum payout still 0.67 BTC?
legendary
Greetings!

No updates for a little while.  Nothing new to report, really.  So far everything seems to be running smoothly.  The block reward halving went over without a hitch and we're still mining away.

Automatic payouts are happening as planned at block generation, now in 25 BTC chunks.  The payout queue has been staying a few blocks long since then, but, it should work itself out soon.

In any case, I'm going to probably take the CPPSRB code offline for a couple of hours tomorrow (somewhere around 20:00:00 UTC) to do some optimizing and tidying now that the existing code has had plenty of field testing.  This will have no impact on mining, you can mine as normal, nothing is lost I promise.  The payout queue, balance updates, and automatic payouts will just be unavailable (or rather, frozen in time) until I bring the code back online fully.

Thanks everyone, for your support!

-wk
legendary
Block finding contest is now over and all related prizes have been paid.

Congratulations to the winners!
legendary
So is it officially back online then?

The pool itself has been online, but, assuming you mean the automatic payouts, then yes, they're officially back online.

The CPPSRB code generated payouts successfully for the past two blocks so far: here and here

Edit to add links
Jump to: