Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 323. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Sirs,

Your support makes me cry. If you would speak as nice words in the other threads, the trolls would be silenced also there, and this would be a better place in an instant. Try it!

The stuff I've been doing here is not really so difficult. The hardest and least satisfying part is to moderate the threads so that they are even remotely readable, which they are not, which in turn compels me to start new user-moderated threads all the time. It is a sorry thing that the forum management cares so little of its most valuable members (and everybody, as a result).

Then there is the issue of dozens of requests to the Other Place (we call bitcointalk the same name there Wink ) I will have to take them one by one based on how much time I have, and we also let people in only few at the time, tryin to avoid the problems mentioned. So please be patient with the delay.

I am not abruptly leaving, I have a nice announcement coming any day from now..Smiley

I've changed my opinion about you personally having thought you were a devious whale before, but just chiming in that I do value your posts.
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
As a silent lurker in this thread, your forcing my hand to post lol.  

Most of us lurkers are probably (hopefully?) thinking the same thing "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt".  At least for me, I don't contribute because I am not nearly at the level of quality this thread deserves when actual discussion is going on.  Obviously since this is Rpietila's thread, he is free to delete what he wants but if you wish to avoid that, then there is a short list of 5 things to be aware of, aka "Read before Posting" https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4331689

There are lots of trolls, the community as a whole is failing to combat it.  We should pitch in, and probably its something that would need to be done if this forum is to be saved.

If you decide to go, we will definitely miss one of the bigger contributors to this scene.  The SSS post changed my view on bitcoin and is what made me stay and read the Economics section regularly.  Ive seen it posted and cited regularly on reddit.com, so its more than just bitcointalk.org you have influenced as you are impacting the mainstream users and future bitcoin hodlers!
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
Risto is correct. Forum is full of idiots. Unfortunately I suspect I am high up on his idiots list. What I would say to that is that a shirt and a club blazer n tie, combined with restrained mannerisms don't a smart man make. I have had a few posts deleted from rpietila's 'quality' TA thread, which would be fair enough if only quality TA posts were allowed, but the entire thread is packed to the brim with much total nonsense as opposed to being composed of strictly 'quality TA', with much of the nonsense coming from rpietila himself.

I registered here in April 2013, and back then, I don't remember it being a whole lot different to be honest. Just as full of idiots being hugely rewarded for their idiocy causing them to think they were smart, tempered by the bitter lemons who had missed the bus and were willing the destruction of BTC in order to bring everyone else who had gotten way ahead of them back down to their level. In fact, I seem to remember many of the characters back then being more grotesque than those who are frequenting here today, but that could have a lot to do with what phase in the Bitcoin cycle we are presently in. The regular Bull-tards here today might attempt hubris, but it just isn't possible for their hearts to be in it like they were before.

There were as few people who I would have actually listened to back then as there are today. Someone who earnestly and exhaustively compiles a large post with graphs with lines drawn on them, but with his whole premises being based on some very shaky ground, is just as worthless as JimboToronto's mindless Bitcoin 2 da Moon drum beating or Igorr constantly telling us that Bitcoin will be worth 50p by the time the year is out........BitcoinSteve on the otherhand, now he raised a few eyebrows.

Lots of new usernames now... yes its painful but its also good.  Please remember to be as respectful as humanly possible to our newbies...

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968
But Risto! that would be like abandoning the internets because it is full of adverts, malware, and spam SEO sites Wink

Stick it out, filter the noise, it  is what it is, and what you make of it x

I don't necessarily agree with what people say, but I find it imperative that I read their points of view so I can better understand and challenge my own.

+1 to a significant power
Activity: 840
Risto is correct. Forum is full of idiots. Unfortunately I suspect I am high up on his idiots list. What I would say to that is that a shirt and a club blazer n tie, combined with restrained mannerisms don't a smart man make. I have had a few posts deleted from rpietila's 'quality' TA thread, which would be fair enough if only quality TA posts were allowed, but the entire thread is packed to the brim with much total nonsense as opposed to being composed of strictly 'quality TA', with much of the nonsense coming from rpietila himself.

I registered here in April 2013, and back then, I don't remember it being a whole lot different to be honest. Just as full of idiots being hugely rewarded for their idiocy causing them to think they were smart, tempered by the bitter lemons who had missed the bus and were willing the destruction of BTC in order to bring everyone else who had gotten way ahead of them back down to their level. In fact, I seem to remember many of the characters back then being more grotesque than those who are frequenting here today, but that could have a lot to do with what phase in the Bitcoin cycle we are presently in. The regular Bull-tards here today might attempt hubris, but it just isn't possible for their hearts to be in it like they were before.

There were as few people who I would have actually listened to back then as there are today. Someone who earnestly and exhaustively compiles a large post with graphs with lines drawn on them, but with his whole premises being based on some very shaky ground, is just as worthless as JimboToronto's mindless Bitcoin 2 da Moon drum beating or Igorr constantly telling us that Bitcoin will be worth 50p by the time the year is out........BitcoinSteve on the otherhand, now he raised a few eyebrows.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
I would like to think that the ignorance-fest will ebb and flow, as I think we all know there are motivations for trolling this forum at this point in time (namely psychological "sky is falling" stuff to increase sell pressure)

I would also like to think that there can continue to be "cross pollination" between private forums and more open forums like this one. This forum will suffer if the worthwhile posters never return, and the private forums will suffer if they don't get a chance to pick new members from time to time.

So feel free to leave of course, but I echo the sentiment: please come back too, guys! I noticed TraderTimm has jumped ship while browsing, I thought our Press sub was quiet.  Cry

Sorry for the OT, but I almost exclusively read this thread, not post here. I have no technical analysis insights other than what I glean here after the fact.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Risto, if you think that que IQ of the forum has dropped significantly, I can guarantee you that it will be much worse by next year!

Yes. It is pretty bad when the blond "air-head" BitChick realizes she is smarter than many of the posters on here.   Grin

Hey, the good news is that I feel pretty smart now!   Wink
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Sirs,

Your support makes me cry. If you would speak as nice words in the other threads, the trolls would be silenced also there, and this would be a better place in an instant. Try it!

The stuff I've been doing here is not really so difficult. The hardest and least satisfying part is to moderate the threads so that they are even remotely readable, which they are not, which in turn compels me to start new user-moderated threads all the time. It is a sorry thing that the forum management cares so little of its most valuable members (and everybody, as a result).

Then there is the issue of dozens of requests to the Other Place (we call bitcointalk the same name there Wink ) I will have to take them one by one based on how much time I have, and we also let people in only few at the time, tryin to avoid the problems mentioned. So please be patient with the delay.

I am not abruptly leaving, I have a nice announcement coming any day from now..Smiley
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
You are certainly one of the few members carrying the quality of this forum on their shoulders, especially outside of the "Development and Technical Discussion" subsection.

It is only natural that burden begins to take its toll.  Much the same, bitcoin communities will sprout and diversify the pool.

I for one have enjoyed your contributions immensely since discovering this forum and would be saddened to see you leave.  Quite understandable nonetheless.

People like you have helped propel bitcoin to the masses, I suppose your consideration of logic would be a determination of energy expended vs potential mass appeal threshold such that your devoted participation is less necessary.  That point was likely breached a while back, as you and other significant members realized at much the same time.

Thank you for the guidance.  Bitcoin communities of the future will reflect on bitcointalk as the root of interaction, of course the garden cannot exist underground.

Cheers.
Activity: 263
Merit: 280
Risto, if you think that que IQ of the forum has dropped significantly, I can guarantee you that it will be much worse by next year!

Personally, I read carefully all your posts. Two times at least. And I also save them.

From several months ago, I have been following 4 users in different forums, and you all are leaving at the same time. Maybe that's how things are. You have been giving more, by far, than you have been receiving.

If you are going to post in other forums, I would like to be able to read your comments there. So, please, PM me the forum you are going to post to.

Thank you.

---------

Coming back to AT, every time seems clearer to me that the correction after November's bubble (Bitstamp) is more and more similar to correction after April's bubble. The shape and times of the chart are quite similar.

So, if my Fibos are correct, dipping a little below 500 (I expect 480) before end of March is more and more probable, and I'm increasing my positions on that probability.

Thanks again for your contribution, Risto.

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
SUMMARY:

TROLLS 1 -RPIETILA 0

Cheesy Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
well I hope I did not troll too hard. My intention was just to keep the debate going.
I'm also a fan of rpietila
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
At first, a little-less-smart people respect the oldtimers, and fit in well. Afterwards one level less smart people enter in, and soon the oldtimers who actually know about things are outnumbered such that they cannot keep the average level of discussion up, and it reverts to the level of the newcomers. In the next stage the oldtimers are so far above the newcomers that meaningful discussion is not even possible, and at this point they segregate themselves to speak actual matters somewhere else, leaving the education of the forum to middle-knowledgeable people like me.

I'm going to push back on this comment a little. Haven't you mentioned that you quit your career in order that you could educate people full-time about bitcoin?

If so, then it seems you've already tasked yourself with such a responsibility. If it truly is the task of the earlier adopters to spread the word, then segregating yourself off from newcomers seems antithetical to your mission.

I'm sure there are very good reasons for the "high-level of knowledge" posters to congregate. But there are also very good reasons for them to stay and fight the good fight.

Any educating I have done on these forums has been rehashing information that is already publicly available and easily found with a google search.  People are just lazy, and if the want to learn they need to put in some effort themselves.  People who already know the details are busy working on software and platforms to increase usability and flexibility.  Tutoring newbies isn't the best use of our time, and we didn't have anyone do it for us.  We took some initiative to seek out what we desired to know.

Also, having been around since 2010, I can say unequivocally that Bitcoin doesn't need sales and marketing.  Bitcoin needs software and systems.  Without those, it won't even keep pace with natural word of mouth growth.  Any sales and marketing at this point is putting the cart before the horse and only adds to volatility as speculative rent seeking usage outpaces transactional usage.  Bitcoin sells itself, and anything you might want to know about it is already in the public domain.
legendary
Activity: 1008
I think any curious observer of Bitcoin would be as interested in the postings of trolls as the postings of wise men. All of the posts are empirical data that may give insights to the continued growth of Bitcoin and its impact on society.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Mtgox is in a much worse position than this forum.

There will always be someone saying unintelligent things. Just how the world works.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
But Risto! that would be like abandoning the internets because it is full of adverts, malware, and spam SEO sites Wink

I don't necessarily agree with what people say, but I find it imperative that I read their points of view so I can better understand and challenge my own.

Internet forums are what internet forums are.  And they evolve and change because of zeitgeist.  People fall in love with a culture and feel pain when it evolves into something new.  I've seen it a million times.

I would be willing to bet I fall into the "low-iq" hoard the OP is complaining about, at least in his eyes.  And I am frankly OK with that because I am not here to please him, and he is welcome to delete my posts in his thread.

That said I have two points which I think are salient.

First, there are some of us who indeed HAVE been around for a while, but who have not contributed on the level of the OP.  That is what it is too...  and to be honest not everyone CAN contribute that way, and it's not just that they are dumb.  In fact I feel a bit of disgust whenever these sorts of elitist sounding ideas come forth.  On the other hand there IS a bitcoin elite, and an old guard.

Which brings the second point.  Bitcoin ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to be something that the simpler folks can understand, embrace, and use.  You can't claim to want to bring BTC to the mainstream and then bag out when they start showing up.

That said I respect OP, and his point in this complaint.  He is obviously free to feel yhe way he does and it is understandable.  Go in peace rpietila.  Or stay.  Others will rise up to fill the empty spots as needed.  Whichever.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
I'm relatively new here, although I've been a long time Lurker as well, and I must say I agree with rpietila. This whole section has become little more than an epic trollfest. Scrolling through all the noise and reading the same troll threads over and over has become tiresome. If I wanted to waste my time participating in nonsense banter and kindergarten joke memes, I'd go to 4chan. I rarely visit this place anymore these days because it has become a big dump full of silly.

I don't have anything to say against some fun every once in a while, but it has clearly gone overboard on here. I fully understand your reasoning and your moving away from this... sometimes it's just time to move on.
Activity: 434
Merit: 511
THIS PLACE IS ALMOST DEAD. JUST LIKE MTGOX.

I started lurking in Bitcointalk when I contemplated buying bitcoins the first time, during the 2011 bubble. Afterwards I made the purchase, and continued lurking through the plateau at $5, fall of Bitcoinica, Pirate@40, etc. until this thing started to interest me more and I registered late 2012.

I was really active in March-May 2013, and again starting October 2013. Now after 2,500 posts and 33 days of activity, I feel that not only my stay here, but even this very place, is coming to an end.

In the very beginning (of which I was not witnessing), the average IQ of the posters was probably +3.0 (145 if sd=15). That kind of community functions really well. But when Bitcoin started its exponential rise in the exchanges, exponentially more people were drawn in and given posting privileges. This started the slow but inevitable slide in the quality of discourse.

At first, a little-less-smart people respect the oldtimers, and fit in well. Afterwards one level less smart people enter in, and soon the oldtimers who actually know about things are outnumbered such that they cannot keep the average level of discussion up, and it reverts to the level of the newcomers. In the next stage the oldtimers are so far above the newcomers that meaningful discussion is not even possible, and at this point they segregate themselves to speak actual matters somewhere else, leaving the education of the forum to middle-knowledgeable people like me.

As recently as a year ago, people were laughing at me here, because my mouth was bigger than the actual knowledge. Now they respect me (except the trolls that are so much below me that they don't recognize it). But talking about the forum, it is a terrible thing that the people who know stuff are inundated with junk, and leaving. And now I am thinking the same.

Perhaps this is the way things go. My friend who knows the lifecycle of Internet forums, has explained that ever-expansion and quality cannot remain in the same place. In theory this could maybe, possibly, have been remedied long time ago by guarding the posting rights carefully. Now it is almost certainly too late, and the new forum software after minimum 12 months will not come on time to bring the lost contributors back.

This is a lamentation. Not a suggestion, nor a call to action. Sorry.

There are other communities available, I am a member of one, and if you really burn for Bitcoin and the economy it enables, shoot a PM with some kind of introduction.

Im a new in the community to, and already have read alot of your posts,
I really like how you gave some insight and expect bitcoin to be very high in the future.
I already learned alot from you and it would be a shame if you left the forum.
Keep it up man!
Activity: 665
Merit: 500
Agree, rpietila is the reason I'm here. Without him and i'd say bye bye to bitcointalk. With the amount of followers you got and the attraction you have I think it would be a huge loss for not only this forum but Bitcoin as a whole if your thoughts are only released to an elite few.

Concerning the quality here I think it's partly because we are currently in a "boring" period for bitcoin. Much like the period may-aug last year. People are just not putting that much energy into producing quality posts. When the steam starts coming back I bet the quality will increase even with more newcomers.
Jump to: