Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 324. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 95
Merit: 10
I agree with that, gentlemand.

Bitcoin has huge obstacles to hurdle in general if it is to succeed. Education, and more importantly quality education, is possibly the greatest tool in overcoming these obstacles.

But yes, I'm positive that it's tiring to the old-timers to sift through thread after thread of the same nonsense and fear-mongering. Hell, I've only been here a few months and I can see the increase myself.
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
Mr. rpietila I personally really enjoy reading your posts, although I rarely post on your threads since I do not have enough knowledge to bring something productive new to them. I just hope you won't leave the community.

There has been a lot of negativity lately due to the bear market and some pretty bad FUD which lead to a lot of anger and trolling on the forum.

I hope that maybe in a few months the general sentiment(at least of the speculation thread) will be more positive and productive.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I think there's only so much energy anyone can devote to a black hole of fudsters and freshly minted know it alls.
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
At first, a little-less-smart people respect the oldtimers, and fit in well. Afterwards one level less smart people enter in, and soon the oldtimers who actually know about things are outnumbered such that they cannot keep the average level of discussion up, and it reverts to the level of the newcomers. In the next stage the oldtimers are so far above the newcomers that meaningful discussion is not even possible, and at this point they segregate themselves to speak actual matters somewhere else, leaving the education of the forum to middle-knowledgeable people like me.

I'm going to push back on this comment a little. Haven't you mentioned that you quit your career in order that you could educate people full-time about bitcoin?

If so, then it seems you've already tasked yourself with such a responsibility. If it truly is the task of the earlier adopters to spread the word, then segregating yourself off from newcomers seems antithetical to your mission.

I'm sure there are very good reasons for the "high-level of knowledge" posters to congregate. But there are also very good reasons for them to stay and fight the good fight.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
THIS PLACE IS ALMOST DEAD. JUST LIKE MTGOX.

I started lurking in Bitcointalk when I contemplated buying bitcoins the first time, during the 2011 bubble. Afterwards I made the purchase, and continued lurking through the plateau at $5, fall of Bitcoinica, Pirate@40, etc. until this thing started to interest me more and I registered late 2012.

I was really active in March-May 2013, and again starting October 2013. Now after 2,500 posts and 33 days of activity, I feel that not only my stay here, but even this very place, is coming to an end.

In the very beginning (of which I was not witnessing), the average IQ of the posters was probably +3.0 (145 if sd=15). That kind of community functions really well. But when Bitcoin started its exponential rise in the exchanges, exponentially more people were drawn in and given posting privileges. This started the slow but inevitable slide in the quality of discourse.

At first, a little-less-smart people respect the oldtimers, and fit in well. Afterwards one level less smart people enter in, and soon the oldtimers who actually know about things are outnumbered such that they cannot keep the average level of discussion up, and it reverts to the level of the newcomers. In the next stage the oldtimers are so far above the newcomers that meaningful discussion is not even possible, and at this point they segregate themselves to speak actual matters somewhere else, leaving the education of the forum to middle-knowledgeable people like me.

As recently as a year ago, people were laughing at me here, because my mouth was bigger than the actual knowledge. Now they respect me (except the trolls that are so much below me that they don't recognize it). But talking about the forum, it is a terrible thing that the people who know stuff are inundated with junk, and leaving. And now I am thinking the same.

Perhaps this is the way things go. My friend who knows the lifecycle of Internet forums, has explained that ever-expansion and quality cannot remain in the same place. In theory this could maybe, possibly, have been remedied long time ago by guarding the posting rights carefully. Now it is almost certainly too late, and the new forum software after minimum 12 months will not come on time to bring the lost contributors back.

This is a lamentation. Not a suggestion, nor a call to action. Sorry.

There are other communities available, I am a member of one, and if you really burn for Bitcoin and the economy it enables, shoot a PM with some kind of introduction.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
The issue is not whether it will go down but how low and for how long.

...and where. Goxbux, Goxcoins and Goxprice pertain to the world of fables and unicorns.
You've been Re-Goxxed
Activity: 233
Merit: 101
The 200 SMA now sits just north of $450 on Stamp. Do not see us going below that for more than a day or so. In another 20 days it will be at $500 and moving up. $400s are getting less and less likely outside of a flash crash.

+1 However I expect flash crashes, and even some days below 200 SMA and have orders in place to reflect this. If they don't happen, we will likely be riding the 200 up to basing levels and there will be time enough to reset the orders at higher prices. Won't effect my overall strategy significantly.
donator
The 200 SMA now sits just north of $450 on Stamp. Do not see us going below that for more than a day or so. In another 20 days it will be at $500 and moving up. $400s are getting less and less likely outside of a flash crash.

I am following these indicators. If you are preying for cheap coins, flash crash works fine. Gox is currently 292. If I had had my net in BTCe, the crash there would have given me coins at 420 average with every order fulfilled. The issue is not whether it will go down but how low and for how long. Probably my average buyin will be more than 420. In the last big crash it was 519. But everyone is free to follow their own strategy.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
I think you are right. I also think that we will see 500 in the last exchange where we haven't yet seen it. End of March suits me very well.

Can't help but noticing you haven't mentioned 400 this time?

I picked up on that as well. Smiley      Curiouser and curiouser...

Price targets change over time.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
I think you are right. I also think that we will see 500 in the last exchange where we haven't yet seen it. End of March suits me very well.

I picked up on that as well. Smiley      Curiouser and curiouser...

Price targets change over time.

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

I picked up on that as well. Smiley      Curiouser and curiouser...
Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Guess what? After loading myself absolutely full with bitcoins between 3 and 100, I also felt the urge to sell when it dropped through all supports last summer. Selling at 90 is not the best decision I made, but it gives me the confidence that there will always be investors going through the same stage Wink

Been there. Sold at 90 and bought back at 115, sold at 106 and bought back at 129 then I got pissed at the whole thing. I also had escaped from btc-24 collapse just on time (but at a premium) and I had invested on Ripple just at their top. I wasn't sleeping for days. I ended up being unhealthy and had a nerve breakdown.

I'm still experiencing strong emotions because of the high stakes but I have grown more accustomed to them.
donator

All we need anymore is the proof that 800 will not be seen again. There will be a great plenty of people who decide to sell a little bit.

Guess what? After loading myself absolutely full with bitcoins between 3 and 100, I also felt the urge to sell when it dropped through all supports last summer. Selling at 90 is not the best decision I made, but it gives me the confidence that there will always be investors going through the same stage Wink
Activity: 728
I feel 500 falling  Shocked

I think if the capitulation happens at all then it will take a couple more weeks to unravel.
Volumes are going down and yet price swings happen on low volume. So liquidity is being removed from the markets.
I suppose that both bulls and bears are exhausted and are taking their fiat and coins away from the exchange.
Hence we are entering the boredom phase of the bubble. We need new meat into the market.

I think that the only thing that would cause another pulse (both ways) by now would be Gox news.
Activity: 840
its like somebody stuck a stick into an ant colony on BTCe. very high hopes indeed can come from a $40 flash rise! 'to da mooon! $10,000 tomorrow!'

I saw that and immediately thought Bitstamp arbitrage takers.......or stop loss farming.....bet there was a fucking shed load of Short trade stop losses got triggered there (I do believe that shorting is possible on BTC-e and Bitfinex routes orders through Bitstamp although it makes traders accept the Bitfinex order book prices). Right about now, there must be a shedload of short sellers cos it such an obvious trade to make......or so they might have thought. Most of them will be realising losses on the most obvious short sell opportunity ever and having to re-establish their short trades, if they don't have too bad a taste in their mouths that is.

If you are gonna short sell routing your orders through either of those corrupt/crooked/hacked shark bot ridden exchanges, you need to just forget setting stop loss order altogether.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
its like somebody stuck a stick into an ant colony on BTCe. very high hopes indeed can come from a $40 flash rise! 'to da mooon! $10,000 tomorrow!'
donator
I feel 500 falling  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035
Some interesting discussion last pages  Cool

Rptielia, i'm curious about your long term outlook?? still bullish?? still believe in the $300k target? If not, why not?
Activity: 644
One Token to Move Anything Anywhere
And do you think you were right with your analysis of Bitstamp et al having doubled bottomed at $540?
This is not my analysis.

It wasn't? (Shit, it really wasn't..lol)

Well, who the fuck was I arguing with in this here post:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5168148

If it wasn't you, it must have been someone! I mean, I wouldn't just imagine that someone had disagreed with me and burst out into an incoherent tirade against them, would I?  Undecided

Never! I find your tirades quite coherent - amusingly so in fact!
Activity: 840
And do you think you were right with your analysis of Bitstamp et al having doubled bottomed at $540?
This is not my analysis.

It wasn't? (Shit, it really wasn't..lol)

Well, who the fuck was I arguing with in this here post:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5168148

If it wasn't you, it must have been someone! I mean, I wouldn't just imagine that someone had disagreed with me and burst out into an incoherent tirade against them, would I?  Undecided
Jump to: