Pages:
Author

Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized? - page 3. (Read 46621 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
October 08, 2013, 12:33:44 AM
It's a good thing that SR is gone. I've seen a noticeable decrease in drug addicted prostitutes, pimps, pushers and general street crime since that site went up. Now that it's gone things will go back to normal. lol
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
October 08, 2013, 12:01:57 AM
Agents from Homeland Security Investigations arrived on July 26 at the 15th Street address. There, according to the complaint, they encountered Ross Ulbricht, whose photo matched those on all nine fake IDs.

He had over two months to think about it before they arrested him.

More than enough time to get past the denial, and properly protect the private keys.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
October 07, 2013, 11:57:17 PM
Am I the only one that was totally shocked that this guy was living in the US this entire time?  Really?  It seems rather obvious that running a site like the Silk Road would be better in a country where cops were paid off or they would just turn their heads the other way.   Of course I am glad that they caught him. The world is better off with drugs being more difficult or impossible to get. 

Activity: 868
October 07, 2013, 11:52:27 PM

I don't think he ever thought they linked him at that point to running SR.  He probably just thought they were clueless about that, and were focused solely on the fake IDs.  This is shown in his ballzy response to their questioning, "you know, hypothetically, anybody could login to use TOR to anonymously order fake IDs"...

Yeah, I think he just started to believe the whole mythology he'd created around Silk Road and himself - and really, truly believed that he was smarter than federal agents and that anything they ever discovered was nothing he couldn't talk his way out of.

There are just so many things he never seems to have considered - especially that the online world isn't some magical kingdom which exists separately from the real world.
legendary
October 07, 2013, 11:46:37 PM
That would be the denial stage.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
October 07, 2013, 11:35:05 PM
I imagine that after the cops knocked on the door of his flop house to ask questions about the fake IDs, he had time to properly protect the private keys.

That is, after he was through the denial stage.

I don't think he ever thought they linked him at that point to running SR.  He probably just thought they were clueless about that, and were focused solely on the fake IDs.  This is shown in his ballzy response to their questioning, "you know, hypothetically, anybody could login to use TOR to anonymously order fake IDs"...
legendary
October 07, 2013, 11:10:07 PM
I imagine that after the cops knocked on the door of his flop house to ask questions about the fake IDs, he had time to properly protect the private keys.

That is, after he was through the denial stage.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 07, 2013, 05:56:50 PM
Yes. We far too often think that everybody should at all times have behaved in actual circumstances, the way we think is most advantageous:
- given all resources
- and all time
- and assuming it's the highest priority, and
- from the hindsight.

Silly, kick me if I fall on that again..

William of Ockham has failed us again  Cry
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
October 07, 2013, 05:24:27 PM
Yes. We far too often think that everybody should at all times have behaved in actual circumstances, the way we think is most advantageous:
- given all resources
- and all time
- and assuming it's the highest priority, and
- from the hindsight.

Silly, kick me if I fall on that again..
Activity: 658
Merit: 504
October 07, 2013, 03:00:36 PM
I think the only way the Govt is going to get its hands on his coins is to let him use some of those coins for his defense.. if not, those 5 percent of all coins will be forever lost.

This is an interesting riddle. He might have saved the coins in brainwallets, in (comparably) tiny amounts. Even if they come from traceable SR sources, it is rather impossible to show that DPR has the key to them. It is possible to construct a recursive brainwallet with any number of addresses, which unfolds after knowing a single passphrase. Or use several different passphrases.

Since the total amount of commissions is not known, it is always possible to save some coins for retirement.

No lawyer will accept that money. LE can go after a law firm for accepting known drug money. He needs to have somebody outside of LE and his legal team with access to his wallets. Otherwise he probably can't get to it until bail is posted. But his hearing is this week. If he is able to post bail then watch the transactions and look for major dumps.

As you know, brainwallets work such that an easily memorizable passphrase is processed with algorithms, and/or combined with other phrases, to yield the actual password or privkey. If DPR has anyone outside who is allowed to have any contact with him, and who knows the way how the "A-part" (memorized part) of the passphrase needs to be treated to yield the privkey, DPR can just give him whatever amount he wants. The point is to have multiple addresses with different amounts ranging from sub-BTC1 to hundreds.

Even if there is no accomplice beforehand, if some of the stash is encrypted with the standard (or any describable) algorithm, it is pretty easy to tell to anyone both the passphrase and the algorithm.

We can be certain that DPR coins are not in one wallet Wink

Not necessarily. DPR made personal mistakes that led to his capture. I would agree that it is unlikely he has 600k BTC on a flash drive somewhere but I would bet there is nothing elaborate to protect his personal horde of coins. Probably just a handful of encrypted wallet.dat files in separate encrypted file containers
donator
October 07, 2013, 01:43:03 PM
I think the only way the Govt is going to get its hands on his coins is to let him use some of those coins for his defense.. if not, those 5 percent of all coins will be forever lost.

This is an interesting riddle. He might have saved the coins in brainwallets, in (comparably) tiny amounts. Even if they come from traceable SR sources, it is rather impossible to show that DPR has the key to them. It is possible to construct a recursive brainwallet with any number of addresses, which unfolds after knowing a single passphrase. Or use several different passphrases.

Since the total amount of commissions is not known, it is always possible to save some coins for retirement.

No lawyer will accept that money. LE can go after a law firm for accepting known drug money. He needs to have somebody outside of LE and his legal team with access to his wallets. Otherwise he probably can't get to it until bail is posted. But his hearing is this week. If he is able to post bail then watch the transactions and look for major dumps.

As you know, brainwallets work such that an easily memorizable passphrase is processed with algorithms, and/or combined with other phrases, to yield the actual password or privkey. If DPR has anyone outside who is allowed to have any contact with him, and who knows the way how the "A-part" (memorized part) of the passphrase needs to be treated to yield the privkey, DPR can just give him whatever amount he wants. The point is to have multiple addresses with different amounts ranging from sub-BTC1 to hundreds.

Even if there is no accomplice beforehand, if some of the stash is encrypted with the standard (or any describable) algorithm, it is pretty easy to tell to anyone both the passphrase and the algorithm.

We can be certain that DPR coins are not in one wallet Wink
October 07, 2013, 01:26:47 PM

donator
October 07, 2013, 01:22:19 PM

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2013, 01:19:53 PM
They don't so far. And this is most likely DPR's wallet: https://blockchain.info/address/1DkyBEKt5S2GDtv7aQw6rQepAvnsRyHoYM

At current Gox price its about $80-85 Million and about 5-6% of all bitcoins in existence.

Or WAS DPR's wallet.  There's nothing there now, a ton of dust transactions around 8/25, and before that, I'm not really up on blockchain forensics, but a bunch of transactions that look like they might be some kind of a mix.  Apparently, those coins are at another address now.
October 07, 2013, 01:19:35 PM
According to Forbes, the FBI confirmed they hold encrypted wallets in addition to what was already seized.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/10/04/fbi-silk-road-bitcoin-seizure/

By what it doesn't say, that would seem to imply they do not have the decryption keys.

They don't so far. And this is most likely DPR's wallet: https://blockchain.info/address/1DkyBEKt5S2GDtv7aQw6rQepAvnsRyHoYM

At current Gox price its about $80-85 Million and about 5-6% of all bitcoins in existence.

That address has long been empty. It was part of the SR mixer/cold wallet.

Yes but the point is that it was used to move funds to his personal address in the past. If you look through the transaction logs of this address you will most likely be able to find any private wallets he kept for withdraws. I'm just too lazy to do it myself. But there are records of major transactions from this address in the past (20000+ BTC) which indicates this was possibly his personal wallet at some point. Or at least used to move funds to a personal wallet
legendary
Activity: 1260
Drunk Posts
October 07, 2013, 01:15:17 PM
According to Forbes, the FBI confirmed they hold encrypted wallets in addition to what was already seized.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/10/04/fbi-silk-road-bitcoin-seizure/

By what it doesn't say, that would seem to imply they do not have the decryption keys.

That address has long been empty. It was part of the SR mixer/cold wallet.
October 07, 2013, 01:12:41 PM

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
October 07, 2013, 01:09:30 PM

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
October 07, 2013, 01:07:28 PM
While bitcointalk was down, someone mentioned in an IRC channel that the only BTC the feds seized were from buyer and seller accounts.  Apparently ulbrichts BTC was never seized and still lies in a wallet somewhere (which makes sense, because I always wondered how the FBI could ever get their hands on that).  I couldn't find this is any recent news articles, however, and contradicts what I've read before.  Can anybody confirm this?

The spokesperson says the approximately 26,000 Bitcoins seized are just the ones that were held in Silk Road accounts. In other words, it’s Silk Road users’ Bitcoin. The FBI has not been able to get to Ulbricht’s personal Bitcoin yet. “That’s like another $80 million worth,” she said, explaining that it was held separately and is encrypted.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
October 07, 2013, 12:14:27 PM
We Are Up!

Happy to be back

While bitcointalk was down, someone mentioned in an IRC channel that the only BTC the feds seized were from buyer and seller accounts.  Apparently ulbrichts BTC was never seized and still lies in a wallet somewhere (which makes sense, because I always wondered how the FBI could ever get their hands on that).  I couldn't find this is any recent news articles, however, and contradicts what I've read before.  Can anybody confirm this?

I read this as well. 27K was the buyer and seller funds. 600K was the amount supposed to have been collected by Ross in commisions. They have not yet got their hands on this.

I think they will get his BTC soon, it won't be long :-)

yeah....they will "talk" with him  Roll Eyes
Pages:
Jump to: