Pages:
Author

Topic: what do you do to keep fit ? - page 13. (Read 11393 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010
https://www.bitcoin.com/
November 04, 2014, 09:55:41 PM
I walk to the fridge for my beer if i want to keep fit.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
November 04, 2014, 09:54:25 PM

By the way, the last poster who said breakfast is unnecessary is giving horrible advice.  Skipping breakfast is a great way to send your body into a catabolic state where it will consume its own muscle for energy.  Basically, this will kill your metabolism and make the few calories you do eat more likely to be stored as fat.  if you want to get in shape, you should be looking to add calories to allow yourself to work out harder.  You could say there's no such thing as over-eating, just under-training.

The thing you just described is one of the most known myths of all in this subject. Studies have proven it to be false endless times. It's common knowledge to people more educated in fitness/nutrition that "intermittent fasting" is not dangerous, and might even give some health benefits.

And what you just stated is something that people who read and then misunderstand and report things they've never experienced say.  What statement did I specifically make that made you respond accordingly? I never said anything about "intermittent fasting" even though you placed the term in quotations as though I actually said that, and I never said "dangerous."

We're talking about staying fit, and there is no part about fasting that contributes any sort of benefit to that statement unless you fall into the small minority of people that are overweight specifically because they eat too many calories and live a completely sedentary lifestyle.   In reality, most people are obese because they have obliterated their metabolism to the point where they remain obese even eating a meager 1000-1500 calories per day.

Why do you think that many obese people actually eat far fewer calories than their skinny counterparts?  I've known many overweight people, and even have some in my family, that eat fewer than 1,500 calories per day.  When you fast, and especially if you significantly cut calories from your diet over a significant period of time, your body goes into hibernation mode where, in the absence of a healthy level of caloric intake, it says to itself, "Oh, shit!" and attempts to store as much fat as is possible from the calories that you do consume.  '

Here are some indisputable facts:
1) More calories equates to a higher metabolism.  Period.
2) Exercise requires that you increase your caloric intake to compensate for the breakdown in muscle tissue, and also due to increased metabolism resulting from an increase in mitochondrial density.
3) Excess glycogen is depleted when you sleep.
4) The body prefers to utilize glycogen from carbohydrates as energy first, fat as energy second, and muscle as energy third.
5) When you fast, your metabolism decreases.  Period.

Go ahead and skip breakfast and keep telling the rest of us who will run circles around you how it's helping you.  You already depleted the best source of energy reserves while you sleep, and then you deprive your body further by not eating breakfast.  I eat ~3,500 calories per day and weigh around 160 lbs. at 6% bodyfat.  But please, keep telling me what I don't know from my 15 years of experience  Roll Eyes

Sorry, intermittent fasting was basically what I was talking about myself in previous posts.

I don't necessarily think you are wrong in what you are saying. I'm just trying too say that it doesn't matter too much how often you eat during the day, just as long as you consume enough calories.

No, it does matter.  Think about it.  Let's say we have two identical people whose only differences are the number of meals they eat, and when they eat them.

Let's say identical person A consumes 2,000 calories once per day, and identical person B consumes 2,000 calories spread out over five, 400-calorie meals.  

If person A consumes his 2,000 calories at breakfast, over time his body will react to this schedule.  His body will know not to expect those 2,000 calories again for another 24 hours.  So, to adapt, the body's metabolism slows to conserve those 2,000 calories.  If his metabolism didn't slow down, those 2,000 calories would be utilized too quickly.  As a result, person A will be more lethargic throughout the day, and will be more likely to store those calories as fat for future use rather than using them right away.

In contrast, person B, who consumes his meals three hours apart, will notice his body adapt to this schedule, too.  But, instead of slowing his metabolism, this type of meal schedule increases it.  His body knows that he is only taking in 400 calories per meal, but also knows that it won't be long before he eats again.  Accordingly, his body utilizes this energy more readily; there is simply no need to store those calories when more are on the way.

What you are saying absolutely makes alot of sense. It's just that most, if not all reliable studies might disagree with it.

Do you recall where you came across these studies?  I'm genuinely curious to see them.  Am I correct in guessing that the methodology used consisted of simply controlling for as many variables as possible between two random groups, assigning each group to an eating schedule, and comparing the results?

From experience (15 years as a hobbyist bodybuilder), I find that frequency and intensity of exercise exacerbates the effects of an eating schedule, and this is common with pretty much anyone who trains intensely on a regular basis.  For 15 years, I've worked out ~3-4 times per week, every week, without fail.  The only exceptions came during a few periods when I couldn't work out due to injury.  When I wasn't working out frequently, it didn't matter as much how often I ate throughout the day, and I could get by with only 2-3 meals and be fine with it.  However, when I'm on my normal training schedule, I find it near impossible to *not* eat at least 4-5 meals per day.  If I don't, I get hungry *very* quickly, and after about 5-6 hours without a meal I literally can feel my body turning catabolic.  It gets very mentally and physically uncomfortable.  Actually, this is the one complaint I do have about a frequent meal schedule, for if a food crisis ever did erupt, having an extremely fast metabolism would be insanely impractical.

Edit: And, relating back to "intermittent fasting" which, contrary to your assertion, I never even intended to address and therefore do not care to "make further comments on this stuff," the topic is about staying fit.  So, if I were to comment on it (lol), I'd say that intermittent fasting might affect conditioned athletes more than non-athletes.  But, to say intermittent fasting contributes to fitness is unfounded.
ern
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
November 04, 2014, 09:37:18 PM

By the way, the last poster who said breakfast is unnecessary is giving horrible advice.  Skipping breakfast is a great way to send your body into a catabolic state where it will consume its own muscle for energy.  Basically, this will kill your metabolism and make the few calories you do eat more likely to be stored as fat.  if you want to get in shape, you should be looking to add calories to allow yourself to work out harder.  You could say there's no such thing as over-eating, just under-training.

The thing you just described is one of the most known myths of all in this subject. Studies have proven it to be false endless times. It's common knowledge to people more educated in fitness/nutrition that "intermittent fasting" is not dangerous, and might even give some health benefits.

And what you just stated is something that people who read and then misunderstand and report things they've never experienced say.  What statement did I specifically make that made you respond accordingly? I never said anything about "intermittent fasting" even though you placed the term in quotations as though I actually said that, and I never said "dangerous."

We're talking about staying fit, and there is no part about fasting that contributes any sort of benefit to that statement unless you fall into the small minority of people that are overweight specifically because they eat too many calories and live a completely sedentary lifestyle.   In reality, most people are obese because they have obliterated their metabolism to the point where they remain obese even eating a meager 1000-1500 calories per day.

Why do you think that many obese people actually eat far fewer calories than their skinny counterparts?  I've known many overweight people, and even have some in my family, that eat fewer than 1,500 calories per day.  When you fast, and especially if you significantly cut calories from your diet over a significant period of time, your body goes into hibernation mode where, in the absence of a healthy level of caloric intake, it says to itself, "Oh, shit!" and attempts to store as much fat as is possible from the calories that you do consume.  '

2) Exercise requires that you increase your caloric intake to compensate for the breakdown in muscle tissue, and also due to increased metabolism resulting from an increase in mitochondrial density.
4) The body prefers to utilize glycogen from carbohydrates as energy first, fat as energy second, and muscle as energy third.

Go ahead and skip breakfast and keep telling the rest of us who will run circles around you how it's helping you.  You already depleted the best source of energy reserves while you sleep, and then you deprive your body further by not eating breakfast.  I eat ~3,500 calories per day and weigh around 160 lbs. at 6% bodyfat.  But please, keep telling me what I don't know from my 15 years of experience  Roll Eyes

Sorry, intermittent fasting was basically what I was talking about myself in previous posts.

I don't necessarily think you are wrong in what you are saying. I'm just trying too say that it doesn't matter too much how often you eat during the day, just as long as you consume enough calories.

No, it does matter.  Think about it.  Let's say we have two identical people whose only differences are the number of meals they eat, and when they eat them.

Let's say identical person A consumes 2,000 calories once per day, and identical person B consumes 2,000 calories spread out over five, 400-calorie meals.  

If person A consumes his 2,000 calories at breakfast, over time his body will react to this schedule.  His body will know not to expect those 2,000 calories again for another 24 hours.  So, to adapt, the body's metabolism slows to conserve those 2,000 calories.  If his metabolism didn't slow down, those 2,000 calories would be utilized too quickly.  As a result, person A will be more lethargic throughout the day, and will be more likely to store those calories as fat for future use rather than using them right away.

In contrast, person B, who consumes his meals three hours apart, will notice his body adapt to this schedule, too.  But, instead of slowing his metabolism, this type of meal schedule increases it.  His body knows that he is only taking in 400 calories per meal, but also knows that it won't be long before he eats again.  Accordingly, his body utilizes this energy more readily; there is simply no need to store those calories when more are on the way.

What you are saying absolutely makes alot of sense. It's just that most reliable studies might disagree with it.

Edit: You might want to read up a little on something called "intermittent fasting" before making further comments about this stuff.
legendary
November 04, 2014, 09:32:00 PM

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
November 04, 2014, 09:26:28 PM
To finish off the year, I lift 3 times a week.  Starting in the new year, I plan on eating healthier, and truly getting back into physical shape.   

You're more likely to stick with it if you start now, rather than Jan 1.  Most resolutions fail within the first week.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
November 04, 2014, 09:18:29 PM
I love my kettlebells  Grin
Activity: 387
Merit: 250
November 04, 2014, 09:15:37 PM
To finish off the year, I lift 3 times a week.  Starting in the new year, I plan on eating healthier, and truly getting back into physical shape.   
ern
November 04, 2014, 08:48:43 PM

legendary
November 04, 2014, 08:09:36 PM

ern
November 04, 2014, 07:44:22 PM

Activity: 42
November 04, 2014, 06:01:51 PM
I daily went to gym after my company timing and took fresh juice. Some as per coach advice I left the sweets and pizza. 
Activity: 22
November 04, 2014, 04:44:52 PM
reggaeton is best i tried myself and gave good results rest i play games Smiley.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
November 04, 2014, 04:43:10 PM
just having a strict diet, and work out.
legendary
November 04, 2014, 02:09:27 PM
I do 3-4 workouts per week using a maximum 30-60 seconds between sets depending on the exercise.  I use a stopwatch to keep pace.  I perform 5-6 exercises each workout for a total of 25-30 sets.  I alternate between legs/lower back/abs on 'leg day' and work out chest/back/biceps/triceps on "upper body day."  I use a combination of body weight exercises and resistance bands to increase my strength-to-body weight ratio.  I can perform 100 consecutive push-ups and about 33 consecutive pull-ups.

I eat 3-5 meals per day and additionally supplement with a multivitamin and multi-mineral, whey protein, and creatine.  Combined with the workouts, this basically allows me to eat whatever the hell I want and maintain a body fat percentile between 6-8%.  I'm actually just about to sit down and order 24 buffalo wings with copious amounts of ranch.

True words. Sounds interesting, but why aren't you hitting your shoulders?

It's sometimes great to skip breakfast if it's early in the morning. I'll drink my pre workout booster and go then to the gym. Sometimes I eat a banana to have something in my stomach. As addition I drink some BCAAs to protect my muscles Wink

Ill temporarily 'skip' breakfast only if I'm starting out my day with some cardio.  My body depletes its glycogen reserves while I sleep, so cardio first thing in the morning means my body will draw from fat reserves instead.  But, I always eat afterwards.  Breakfast for me is usually ~50g whey protein and ~30-50g complex carbohydrates with a multivitamin and mineral.  Not eating after a workout is one of the worst things you can do. The best time to eat is within ~15-60 minutes post-workout since nutrients are digested at a much faster rate during that window.

I don't work out shoulders right now due to a shoulder injury a few years ago on incline bench press with no spotter.  I find that working out my chest, back, and especially legs helps contribute to my shoulder growth.  
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
November 04, 2014, 01:12:44 PM
I do 3-4 workouts per week using a maximum 30-60 seconds between sets depending on the exercise.  I use a stopwatch to keep pace.  I perform 5-6 exercises each workout for a total of 25-30 sets.  I alternate between legs/lower back/abs on 'leg day' and work out chest/back/biceps/triceps on "upper body day."  I use a combination of body weight exercises and resistance bands to increase my strength-to-body weight ratio.  I can perform 100 consecutive push-ups and about 33 consecutive pull-ups.

I eat 3-5 meals per day and additionally supplement with a multivitamin and multi-mineral, whey protein, and creatine.  Combined with the workouts, this basically allows me to eat whatever the hell I want and maintain a body fat percentile between 6-8%.  I'm actually just about to sit down and order 24 buffalo wings with copious amounts of ranch.

True words. Sounds interesting, but why aren't you hitting your shoulders?

It's sometimes great to skip breakfast if it's early in the morning. I'll drink my pre workout booster and go then to the gym. Sometimes I eat a banana to have something in my stomach. As addition I drink some BCAAs to protect my muscles Wink
legendary
November 04, 2014, 01:04:32 PM

ern
November 04, 2014, 12:51:10 PM
There are many way for you keep your fit.Accrding me,  I think you can notice some point. Firstly, you should do exercises regular . The second, you should have a good diet, eat enough the nutriment and usually have breakfast. You should eat less meat, more and more vegetable, especially you should drink a lot of water, about 1,5l to 2l per day. Besides, you should go to bed early, not stay at late, and at least 6 hours per day. And finally, you shouldn't work too hard, reduce the pressure and stress. That is many way to keep your fit, you can do it.

There's really no point in having breakfast. It will only trigger your digestion so you feel more hungry later on. I don't eat breakfast myself, and I can easily go a whole day(or more) without getting hungry. As the number of meals you eat everyday doesn't really matter as far as you get enough energy, I feel that skipping breakfast is the easiest way to keep you calorie intake under control.

And no, you shouldn't eat less protein. It's better if you cut down a little on the carbs and fat.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 04, 2014, 12:36:24 PM
i eat less going out. thats about it.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
November 04, 2014, 08:36:54 AM
supplements, all kinds of excercises, 4 hours of gym everyday

Prof, Bodybuilder
Activity: 154
November 04, 2014, 04:51:53 AM
Walking every morning in 1 hour and eat with special plan everyday is how I keep my body health and fit Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: