Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 168. (Read 901343 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
June 24, 2016, 07:11:20 AM
I use a quote from Biomech to shed some light on the subject. I thought it helpful for clarification. (I used some of my own highlights in his text though, so to see the original go to his post please.)

...your conception of atheism is basically what theists say about us [atheists], not the actuality in most cases. But I need to clarify that a bit, because there is a subset of atheists who state it as a positive belief. Religious types have dubbed this "strong" atheism, vs what it seems most of us hold to, which they dub "weak" atheism.

In my arrogant opinion, "weak" atheism is by far the stronger position. Not because it's a positive belief, but because it is not. Our stance is not that we believe there is no god(s), but that we do not believe that there is based on the available evidence. "strong" atheism, to me, is just as much a religious stance as Christianity or Islam would be.

Weak atheism does not deny the possibility of deities, it just doesn't accept ordinary proofs for extraordinary claims.

That's all pretty general. Personally, I've no problem with the idea of a god or gods, but I see no convincing evidence. Religion, on the other hand, I take a strong and oppositional stand to. It makes broad, unprovable claims, and demands that those who adhere to it AND THOSE WHO DON'T accept it. Even, often especially, when those claims are contradicted by fact. And they're willing to kill over it.

I'll kill in defense of my person, my family, possibly even my nation were it actually invaded. I'll never even consider killing because a man believes something differently than I would. Depending on what that belief is, I might think him a fool. I might even say it, especially if he's not a fool generally. I'll talk about it, but I won't kill for it.

I can also state as fact that ALL current theistic religions are false. I base this on their own claims. Not all of them, some of their claims are either good morals or at least a bit of wisdom that is applicable regardless of derivation. But particularly, these two. That there is a god who wishes to be worshipped, and that he/she/it is the god of their religion.

Were these two things true, and based on their further claim that their sky daddy is all powerful, then there would be NO POSSIBILITY of plural, contradicting religions.

This is silly. You can't breathe in a vacuum. When you say that you simply lack having belief at all, you are saying that you live in a vacuum.

If you lived out in the mountain woods, completely away from other people so that you never heard of God, you would still get the feeling of God from the things you saw in nature.

But you don't live this way. You live among other people, the majority of whom are theists to some extent at least. And the idea of God has been pushed into your head at least a little. You are forced to make a choice in faith by this. Either you believe God exists, or you believe He doesn't.

You might like the idea of living in a vacuum. You might wish that you could have lived your life in a vacuum. You might like the vacuum idea so much that you are trying with all your might to break free from the knowledge that you have so that you can live in the vacuum you wish for yourself. But you can't. It's too late. The knowledge of the idea of God is already in you, and outside of a complete lobotomy, you can't remove it.

You have only one of 2 choices in this area. Either you believe that God exists, or you believe that God doesn't exist. The idea of a third choice, to not even have enough knowledge so that you don't believe one way or the other, is not available to you. And the more you talk about it, the less you lose any vacuum that might be left, and the more you are set in your belief one way or the other.

Cool
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
my magic is growing strong[er]
June 24, 2016, 03:48:01 AM
I use a quote from Biomech to shed some light on the subject. I thought it helpful for clarification. (I used some of my own highlights in his text though, so to see the original go to his post please.)

...your conception of atheism is basically what theists say about us [atheists], not the actuality in most cases. But I need to clarify that a bit, because there is a subset of atheists who state it as a positive belief. Religious types have dubbed this "strong" atheism, vs what it seems most of us hold to, which they dub "weak" atheism.

In my arrogant opinion, "weak" atheism is by far the stronger position. Not because it's a positive belief, but because it is not. Our stance is not that we believe there is no god(s), but that we do not believe that there is based on the available evidence. "strong" atheism, to me, is just as much a religious stance as Christianity or Islam would be.

Weak atheism does not deny the possibility of deities, it just doesn't accept ordinary proofs for extraordinary claims.

That's all pretty general. Personally, I've no problem with the idea of a god or gods, but I see no convincing evidence. Religion, on the other hand, I take a strong and oppositional stand to. It makes broad, unprovable claims, and demands that those who adhere to it AND THOSE WHO DON'T accept it. Even, often especially, when those claims are contradicted by fact. And they're willing to kill over it.

I'll kill in defense of my person, my family, possibly even my nation were it actually invaded. I'll never even consider killing because a man believes something differently than I would. Depending on what that belief is, I might think him a fool. I might even say it, especially if he's not a fool generally. I'll talk about it, but I won't kill for it.

I can also state as fact that ALL current theistic religions are false. I base this on their own claims. Not all of them, some of their claims are either good morals or at least a bit of wisdom that is applicable regardless of derivation. But particularly, these two. That there is a god who wishes to be worshipped, and that he/she/it is the god of their religion.

Were these two things true, and based on their further claim that their sky daddy is all powerful, then there would be NO POSSIBILITY of plural, contradicting religions.
legendary
June 23, 2016, 08:04:55 PM

legendster [OP], the answer to your question is of the simple kind: atheists hate religion because religion hate atheists.

It is not the other way around although I agree that most religion hate atheist, atheist doesn't hate religion at all they hate the illogical actions that religion makes. This are a good idea.
http://m.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/man-shoots-male-doctor-for-assisting-his-wife-s-delivery-in-saudi-arabia-1.1835093
http://globalnews.ca/news/1397328/calgary-parents-accused-in-starvation-death-of-teen-son-denied-bail/

Well if you think about it. The word hate is not at all to be used in context. Atheists do not hate religion. They just dont believe in any. And religions dont hate atheist. They just dont agree with their opinions.
Religions don't hate atheist? Oh well you kidding right?
Okay here's a good example, please read so you won't miss something..
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/06/23/we-demand-the-killing-of-atheists-was-trending-on-arabic-twitter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

All problems are human problems, even the religion ones.

This is exactly why God came as man, in the form of Jesus, His Son. He was the only man strong enough to take care of the problems that mankind made for themselves.

Join Him as your king and ruler along with us, so that you can receive of His great ability to correct your problems. Why be against Him so that you lose everything, even your own self?

Cool
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1126
June 23, 2016, 07:03:11 PM

legendster [OP], the answer to your question is of the simple kind: atheists hate religion because religion hate atheists.

It is not the other way around although I agree that most religion hate atheist, atheist doesn't hate religion at all they hate the illogical actions that religion makes. This are a good idea.
http://m.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/man-shoots-male-doctor-for-assisting-his-wife-s-delivery-in-saudi-arabia-1.1835093
http://globalnews.ca/news/1397328/calgary-parents-accused-in-starvation-death-of-teen-son-denied-bail/

Well if you think about it. The word hate is not at all to be used in context. Atheists do not hate religion. They just dont believe in any. And religions dont hate atheist. They just dont agree with their opinions.

Right on!  OP is trying to provoke Atheists.

Such a faulty premise.
Activity: 441
Merit: 278
It's personal
June 23, 2016, 12:06:27 PM

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/06/23/we-demand-the-killing-of-atheists-was-trending-on-arabic-twitter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

All problems are human problems, even the religion ones.
Activity: 798
Merit: 722
June 23, 2016, 11:53:31 AM
religions dont hate atheist. They just dont agree with their opinions.

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 23, 2016, 11:05:51 AM

legendary
June 23, 2016, 10:47:44 AM

When an atheist believes in atheism strongly enough that he can speak and write about his atheism, he proves that he has an atheism religion, according to the dictionary definition of what religion is - http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion?s=t.

Cool
Activity: 518
Merit: 254
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
June 23, 2016, 10:22:41 AM

Activity: 210
June 23, 2016, 02:36:39 AM

legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1362
June 23, 2016, 02:02:24 AM
It is because religions were born by slavery cultures.
Most of religions were designed and followed by slaves and it has same patterns with slavery.

Slavemaster has unhappy slaves -> Unhappy slaves creates better and bigger slavemaster for all slavemasters and slaves to avoid psychological problems being a slave.

That's it.

In ancient times slavemaster did not have any belief outside our world. They generally lived in hedonism like world is a heaven. And it was real truth.
But there were more slaves than slavemasters, they could never reach that pleasure seeking life so they completely rejected pleasures out of jealousy and ban them as sin for "big slavemaster called god".
Activity: 441
Merit: 278
It's personal
June 23, 2016, 01:36:44 AM

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
June 22, 2016, 11:52:49 PM
I am not an atheists, I believe that God do exist.  But I do not have a stable religion, I mean I can enter and attend different religion in our country.  My friends are of different beliefs, and when they asked me to attend their church service I will go. 

Maybe some atheist hate religions because sometimes it is mind boggling.  There are rituals that seems not so logical, not so practical.  You might think that why they have to do such ritual that sometimes affect their lives.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 3514
born once atheist
June 22, 2016, 09:49:34 PM
Were you talking to me with this post? I mean, it followed one of my posts, but it doesn't seem to be directed at anyone.

Just in case it was meant for me, I'll play your game with you a little.

snip (waste of space)

snip(a million quotes )

Well your whole life is boring. So what's new?

Cool
you spend hours in this thread posting delusional nonsense, meticulously quoting me every time i post
and you say my life is boring? cant wait to see what you do with this one.
admit it dude, you like me dont you? oh jeezus i love trolling you!

hey sorry to keep you waiting... i was doing other things like having a life,  Cheesy
Activity: 154
June 22, 2016, 10:28:34 AM
Well I think atheists hate religion for two reasons. The first reason why they hate religion is that they don't believe that Gods exist. The second reason why they hate religion is that many base their beliefs based on scientific facts. I think that's the two main reasons why atheists hate religion.
How's not believing in any god that exist makes you hate? I can't see it relatable.

It is contradicting that you said religion base their beliefs in scientific facts. Man, are you high?
legendary
June 22, 2016, 10:21:08 AM
Well I think atheists hate religion for two reasons. The first reason why they hate religion is that they don't believe that Gods exist. The second reason why they hate religion is that many base their beliefs based on scientific facts. I think that's the two main reasons why atheists hate religion.

Two major points about your post:
1. Science proves God exists;
2. Science theory is formally not fact.

Cool
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
June 22, 2016, 07:45:10 AM
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
June 15, 2016, 04:31:30 PM
'm a religion person
Sometimes I was amazed to Atheists
Usually religion people do good deeds to get heaven
If you need something in return to be able to do good, then thats so bad.

This actually goes deeper than that. Simply being aware that you're doing a "good deed" means you're getting some satisfaction in exchange for it even if you say you don't need anything in exchange. This is somewhat of a paradox but a true "good deed" cannot truly be a "good" deed, it can only be a natural and thoughtless/selfless act where the doer is completely unaware that he is doing something that others might label as "good".

Right. Even Solomon says, in Proverbs 25:27:
It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to seek one’s own honor.

Cool

I like "when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing"

There was an older gentleman named John who I met at Tipitina's that described his idea of living with, "i just ask the Universe to everyday bless me with opportunities to help somebody."
legendary
June 15, 2016, 02:18:42 PM
'm a religion person

This actually goes deeper than that. Simply being aware that you're doing a "good deed" means you're getting some satisfaction in exchange for it even if you say you don't need anything in exchange. This is somewhat of a paradox but a true "good deed" cannot truly be a "good" deed, it can only be a natural and thoughtless/selfless act where the doer is completely unaware that he is doing something that others might label as "good".

Right. Even Solomon says, in Proverbs 25:27:
It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to seek one’s own honor.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
June 15, 2016, 06:19:50 AM
'm a religion person

Jump to: