Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 289. (Read 901342 times)

Activity: 994
Merit: 500
November 17, 2015, 01:43:39 PM
I dont hate religion but I only dislike some religion practices which are so unfair and ancient. How do you kill someone because he or she doesn't believe in what you believe in. There is a certain religion in my community whereby no one is allowed to go to hospital or take medicine. A woman watches her own son die in pain but cant take him to hospital because her religion doesn't allow that. a lot of people having polio just because their parents were against immunization and a lot more beliefs. Surely?? this is horrible and I dont think God himself would forgive them. I dont hate religion, I dislike it and their acts, Thanks

That was God giving the example.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_calf

The problem is with men not God.

Best regards.

A quote for both of you. This is by Mahatma Gandhi and kind of amplifies your words a bit.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003
November 17, 2015, 12:46:19 PM
I dont hate religion but I only dislike some religion practices which are so unfair and ancient. How do you kill someone because he or she doesn't believe in what you believe in. There is a certain religion in my community whereby no one is allowed to go to hospital or take medicine. A woman watches her own son die in pain but cant take him to hospital because her religion doesn't allow that. a lot of people having polio just because their parents were against immunization and a lot more beliefs. Surely?? this is horrible and I dont think God himself would forgive them. I dont hate religion, I dislike it and their acts, Thanks

That was God giving the example.
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_calf

The problem is with men not God.

Best regards.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
November 17, 2015, 12:43:36 PM
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
November 17, 2015, 11:57:58 AM
I think in a lot of cases where hatred is a factor for atheists, it's not so much a hatred of "religion as a concept" as a hatred for people who use religion as an excuse to abuse people who believe differently from the doctrine they believe in. Remember, Catholics follow the religion that prosecuted Galileo for spreading his new theory of heliocentrism, which went against the prevailing doctrine of the time. They burned people who were accused of being witches. If you're an atheist in an overtly religious community and people generally know about it, you're going to get anything from people who harass you to convert and "save your soul" to outright death threats.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
November 17, 2015, 11:12:39 AM

From the simple standpoint, neither atheism, nor theism are religions. But consider this example of science.

To the hard-working, professional scientist, one who delves into the depths of finding knowledge about the workings of nature, science is a simple thing. To him science amounts to, "What is there? and how do I find it out and the why's of it?"

To the simple scientist or to the layman, Science includes all the engineering and the usage of things developed from the engineering.

In the same way, theism is religion at the same time it is not religion, and so is atheism... and just about anything that people live in their lives, including the public understanding of science. Why? Because there is little knowledge, and much belief that people live by.

Smiley

The big difference is that while the science guy is trying to find the answer by looking at the evidence, religion say they have the answer in their book and tries to fit the evidence to it. If it doesn't fit, religion doesn't change it's view to fit the evidence like science do, they just say. " it doesn't fit what the book says, so it can't be true"

Religions say that they have the answers to the things that they have the answers to. For example. The Bible tells about the creation of the universe. But it doesn't talk about every blade of grass, or mention every person by name who will ever exist.

Science doesn't have much evidence about the creation (or whatever science tries to suggest takes creation's place). But they talk about it like they know what it is all about. For example, if the Big Bang ever happened, nobody knows, and any scientist could postulate a hundred other things that might take the place of the Big Bang.

Yet, science can investigate many of the blades of grass that religion doesn't talk about individually. And, science can investigate many of the people, both living and dead, that religion only suggests might have existed.

People in both religion and science exaggerate what they know and understand, at times. Yet there are few things in religious writings that express the facts that science finds out as clearly as science does.

One of the things that science and the Christian religion agree on is the fact that God exists. Some of the people in both, science and the Christian religion, suggest that God doesn't exist. The point is this. Pure science mostly expresses little, tiny facts. Pure religion expresses believable doctrine.

Smiley
 Because Christians should not marvel about these things, that is what I read in the bible.  Bible is just a metaphorical guideline of history, morals lessons, and faith. 

You really need to go back and check out, in depth, the things of the Bible, its history, now it came into being, and the strength of it. The faith of the Bible is in Jesus Christ, for the salvation of mankind. What is salvation? We live for a hundred years, maybe, if we happen to be strong. Then we die.

There will be a resurrection of both, the righteous and the unrighteous. The righteous will go to a wonderful, glorious, new life with God. The unrighteous will go to an everlasting death... everlasting because it takes a soul an eternity to die.

What's the difference between the righteous and the unrighteous? Their faith in Jesus-God, the Christ, for salvation to eternal life rather than eternal death. The Bible is the only place you find written info about this.

Smiley
Activity: 616
November 17, 2015, 03:35:58 AM
I don't think they do. In fact many of the atheists i met are very open minded about religion. They actually respect religious people. So no, they don't hate religion. They just don't believe in it.
Open-minded to what?

Regardless, the terms do not represent comparable things or concepts.

Atheism simply means a disbelief in deities. It is not a belief system, religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. Other than not believing in God(s), Atheists have nothing else in common

Except that when you Google or DuckDuckGo search on "atheism religion" you get all kinds of sites that show that atheism is essentially a religion. Of course, you get other sites that deny such. But when you do the comparison yourself, you'll see that there isn't much, if any, difference between what it takes to make a religion and the thing that atheism is.

In other words, atheism is a religion that is different from most formal religions in two major ways:
1. They express that there is no god/God;
2. They often express that they are not a religion.

Smiley

Can you define what you mean by "religion"? I'd always thought it included -- by necessity -- a belief in a god, but you don't seem to think this is true?

There are dictionaries all over the place. A couple of online dictionaries are found here http://dictionary.reference.com/ and here http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/.

You might also try Wikipedia here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion.

Smiley

From Wikipedia then:

"A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence."

This is not atheism. Atheism is not a belief, it's a lack of belief. It's not a belief in not-God, it's just a position that gods and god belief systems are irrlevant. I don't have to believe, I just have to ignore it like I ignore much in life that I find irrelevant.

Analogously, I don't have any beliefs about flamingoes. They may or may not exist but I don't really mind either way, they're irrelevant to me -- just like the many gods that in which people claim to believe.

I think it best to let atheists speak for themselves so here's a link for you straight from the horses mouth, so to speak: https://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism

From that link:
"Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

From the simple standpoint, neither atheism, nor theism are religions. But consider this example of science.

To the hard-working, professional scientist, one who delves into the depths of finding knowledge about the workings of nature, science is a simple thing. To him science amounts to, "What is there? and how do I find it out and the why's of it?"

To the simple scientist or to the layman, Science includes all the engineering and the usage of things developed from the engineering.

In the same way, theism is religion at the same time it is not religion, and so is atheism... and just about anything that people live in their lives, including the public understanding of science. Why? Because there is little knowledge, and much belief that people live by.

Smiley

The big difference is that while the science guy is trying to find the answer by looking at the evidence, religion say they have the answer in their book and tries to fit the evidence to it. If it doesn't fit, religion doesn't change it's view to fit the evidence like science do, they just say. " it doesn't fit what the book says, so it can't be true"

Religions say that they have the answers to the things that they have the answers to. For example. The Bible tells about the creation of the universe. But it doesn't talk about every blade of grass, or mention every person by name who will ever exist.

Science doesn't have much evidence about the creation (or whatever science tries to suggest takes creation's place). But they talk about it like they know what it is all about. For example, if the Big Bang ever happened, nobody knows, and any scientist could postulate a hundred other things that might take the place of the Big Bang.

Yet, science can investigate many of the blades of grass that religion doesn't talk about individually. And, science can investigate many of the people, both living and dead, that religion only suggests might have existed.

People in both religion and science exaggerate what they know and understand, at times. Yet there are few things in religious writings that express the facts that science finds out as clearly as science does.

One of the things that science and the Christian religion agree on is the fact that God exists. Some of the people in both, science and the Christian religion, suggest that God doesn't exist. The point is this. Pure science mostly expresses little, tiny facts. Pure religion expresses believable doctrine.

Smiley
 Because Christians should not marvel about these things, that is what I read in the bible.  Bible is just a metaphorical guideline of history, morals lessons, and faith. 
legendary
November 17, 2015, 03:02:44 AM
I don't think they do. In fact many of the atheists i met are very open minded about religion. They actually respect religious people. So no, they don't hate religion. They just don't believe in it.
Open-minded to what?

Atheism simply means a disbelief in deities. It is not a belief system, religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. Other than not believing in God(s), Atheists have nothing else in common

Except that when you Google or DuckDuckGo search on "atheism religion" you get all kinds of sites that show that atheism is essentially a religion. Of course, you get other sites that deny such. But when you do the comparison yourself, you'll see that there isn't much, if any, difference between what it takes to make a religion and the thing that atheism is.

In other words, atheism is a religion that is different from most formal religions in two major ways:

Smiley

Can you define what you mean by "religion"? I'd always thought it included -- by necessity -- a belief in a god, but you don't seem to think this is true?

There are dictionaries all over the place. A couple of online dictionaries are found here http://dictionary.reference.com/ and here http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/.

Smiley

From Wikipedia then:

"A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence."

This is not atheism. Atheism is not a belief, it's a lack of belief. It's not a belief in not-God, it's just a position that gods and god belief systems are irrlevant. I don't have to believe, I just have to ignore it like I ignore much in life that I find irrelevant.

Analogously, I don't have any beliefs about flamingoes. They may or may not exist but I don't really mind either way, they're irrelevant to me -- just like the many gods that in which people claim to believe.

I think it best to let atheists speak for themselves so here's a link for you straight from the horses mouth, so to speak: https://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism

From that link:
"Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

Smiley

Smiley
Activity: 555
Merit: 507
November 17, 2015, 02:08:10 AM
Open-minded to what?

Smiley

Smiley

From Wikipedia then:

From that link:

Smiley

That's why the evolution theory has changed over the years after Darwin while it dosen't matter how many times its proven that snakes don't have vocal cords, the talking snake theory is still unchanged
legendary
November 15, 2015, 06:59:49 PM
Open-minded to what?

Smiley

Smiley

From Wikipedia then:

From that link:

Smiley
legendary
November 15, 2015, 05:18:39 PM
Atheism is a belief system, religion, philosophy, and lifestyle.

No, that doesn't describe atheism at all. See the link above.

That is quick description of atheism.

No, it isn't.

Other than not believing in God(s),

Again, untrue. To make the idea even simpler: atheists *don't care* about gods.

You are saying atheist are stupid (and they don't care about Science) as Science comes from the Fear of God.

That is why they must die.

None of this statement follows from the previous statement. Did you quote the wrong post?

Atheists have common hate and emptiness inside them.

Is this different to religious people? Are you saying that *no* religious people hate things? How about Satanists?

Is saying that a theist view is superior of an atheist view.

Think as an example to freemasonry: they don't believe in the same God as Christians but they do believe in a superior beings.

You cannot be a freemason if you are an atheist.

... um?

As for having "emptiness inside them", what does that mean? is it a metaphysical construct of some sort? I don't feel empty, and physically I know I'm not empty.

It means they are STUPID.

Science comes form the Fear of God.
"18 Fearing the Lord is Wisdom’s crowning garland,
sprouting forth peace and restorative health.
19 She rained down skill and insightful knowledge,
and she raised up the reputation of those who held on to her.
"
- Sir 1:18

Again, you're not making any kind of argument here. You quote a post, make an an unrelated comment, and then you make an unrelated quote from an unnamed book.

You find my lack of faith disturbing, eh? You come off sounding like someone who has schizophrenia, and if that's the case I'll apologise to you when you're taking your medication again.

I know: you are gay.

Best regards.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
November 15, 2015, 04:58:51 PM

No, it isn't.

You are saying atheist are stupid (and they don't care about Science) as Science comes from the Fear of God.

None of this statement follows from the previous statement. Did you quote the wrong post?

Is this different to religious people? Are you saying that *no* religious people hate things? How about Satanists?

Think as an example to freemasonry: they don't believe in the same God as Christians but they do believe in a superior beings.

... um?

As for having "emptiness inside them", what does that mean? is it a metaphysical construct of some sort? I don't feel empty, and physically I know I'm not empty.

"

Again, you're not making any kind of argument here. You quote a post, make an an unrelated comment, and then you make an unrelated quote from an unnamed book.

You find my lack of faith disturbing, eh? You come off sounding like someone who has schizophrenia, and if that's the case I'll apologise to you when you're taking your medication again.

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
U will never know the true answer, before you try
November 15, 2015, 12:12:51 PM
"A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in God." - Francis Bacon.
 "I can conceive how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God." -- Abraham Lincoln
legendary
November 15, 2015, 11:36:15 AM

"

Everything you've written is only your opinion. You should probably make that clear when you post.

Best regards.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
U will never know the true answer, before you try
November 15, 2015, 10:54:12 AM
please watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEcocSZnk1g
An Atheist vs Dr Zakir Naik - Worth Watching

Roll Eyes
donator
Poor impulse control.
November 15, 2015, 05:27:17 AM

Everything you've written is only your opinion. You should probably make that clear when you post.
Activity: 616
November 15, 2015, 04:28:20 AM
Atheism is a belief system, religion, philosophy, and lifestyle. Other than not believing in God(s), Atheists have common hate and emptiness inside them.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1126
November 14, 2015, 11:34:35 PM
Well done, organofcorti!

Hatred of others comes from ignorance.

Go to the source for real information.
donator
Poor impulse control.
November 14, 2015, 11:16:33 PM
Open-minded to what?

Smiley

Smiley

From Wikipedia then:

From that link:
legendary
November 14, 2015, 11:59:39 AM
Open-minded to what?

Smiley

Smiley
donator
Poor impulse control.
November 14, 2015, 05:00:16 AM
Open-minded to what?

Smiley

Jump to: