Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 290. (Read 901342 times)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
November 14, 2015, 02:30:00 AM
I don't think they do. In fact many of the atheists i met are very open minded about religion. They actually respect religious people. So no, they don't hate religion. They just don't believe in it.

Except that when you Google or DuckDuckGo search on "atheism religion" you get all kinds of sites that show that atheism is essentially a religion. Of course, you get other sites that deny such. But when you do the comparison yourself, you'll see that there isn't much, if any, difference between what it takes to make a religion and the thing that atheism is.

In other words, atheism is a religion that is different from most formal religions in two major ways:
1. They express that there is no god/God;
2. They often express that they are not a religion.

:

That's the criteria?  Whether or not search engines yield results?

If I google "George Bush Gay" or "Space Shuttle Fake" - do the fact that resulting pages appear make either statement true?

I wonder if TV ad sales people site around pondering "Should we pull our ads from American Idol and move them over to that TV show 'Don't watch TV'?"
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
November 14, 2015, 12:28:30 AM
Other than not believing in God(s), Atheists have nothing else in common

Not even rationality (use of reason)?
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
November 13, 2015, 08:01:49 PM
I don't think they do. In fact many of the atheists i met are very open minded about religion. They actually respect religious people. So no, they don't hate religion. They just don't believe in it.
Open-minded to what?

Regardless, the terms do not represent comparable things or concepts.

Atheism simply means a disbelief in deities. It is not a belief system, religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. Other than not believing in God(s), Atheists have nothing else in common

Except that when you Google or DuckDuckGo search on "atheism religion" you get all kinds of sites that show that atheism is essentially a religion. Of course, you get other sites that deny such. But when you do the comparison yourself, you'll see that there isn't much, if any, difference between what it takes to make a religion and the thing that atheism is.

In other words, atheism is a religion that is different from most formal religions in two major ways:
1. They express that there is no god/God;
2. They often express that they are not a religion.

Smiley
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
November 13, 2015, 05:40:55 PM
Open-minded to what?

Regardless, the terms do not represent comparable things or concepts.

Atheism simply means a disbelief in deities. It is not a belief system, religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. Other than not believing in God(s), Atheists have nothing else in common
Activity: 361
Merit: 250
November 13, 2015, 05:07:15 AM
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
November 13, 2015, 05:06:28 AM
because they hate the rules of religion,they want free of religion rules..and maybe they also hate govenoor rules..
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1126
November 12, 2015, 10:40:05 PM
CONCLUSION:

Millions of humans have been murdered, enslaved, persecuted and abused, either in the name of religion or in a reaction to it: Atheism.

Therefore religion is at the root of ALL of the above-listed massacres.

Even the "Atheist" ones.

BOOM.

If just one person can believe in a religion and not want to kill anyone, then blaming religion for murders is wrong and you need to start blaming the people not their religion for the killings.

My point was only about the above-listed mass killings done in the name of religion -- like God, Allah, or even Charles Manson.

You do make an excellent point, however.

Religion doesn't kill people;  people* kill people.

(*People: mostly fundamentalist religious or fundamentalist atheist!)   Wink
legendary
November 12, 2015, 09:27:04 PM
Atheism is a religion. It's just the belief that no God exists. Any person claiming to be athirst and hate religion is being very hypocritical.  

Yes.

A person that says, "I am an atheist," and then never talks or thinks about it again, isn't a very good atheist. Likewise, a person who says, " I belong to XXXXXX religion," and then never takes part in the religion, is not really part of that religion.

The point? The more an atheist pushes the idea of atheism, the more he makes it to be a religion for himself.

Smiley

I fail to see your point here. You state that those who are atheist and never talk about it are not very good atheists? What does one's disbelief have to do with projection.

Also would like to get some clarity on what you mean by "taking part in the religion"

I said "never talks or thinks about it."

If a person says he believes something, or believes in something, but never talks about it or thinks about it, he can't be much of a believer in it. By this I mean that a person who doesn't live his belief doesn't really believe it.

What is projection?

If you say you are Catholic, but never talk about the Pope, or the church, or go to mass, or say your prayers, or do anything else a good Catholic person does, then you really are not much of a Catholic.

The point of saying all this is that the more you talk something and do it, the more you are a believer in or of it.

Atheism is a religion. Why? Because we have a universe full of stuff that suggests that God made it all, way more than that it happened by accident or some other way.

In fact, Newton's 3rd law says that everything operates by cause and effect. And this is evidenced in everything that we see. So, there is no happenstance. If there is no happenstance, there is design. If their is design, there is a designer. In the case of the universe, the designer is God. Why? Because the universe Designer would fit our dictionary definitions of "God."

Smiley
Activity: 994
November 12, 2015, 08:30:13 PM
Atheism is a religion. It's just the belief that no God exists. Any person claiming to be athirst and hate religion is being very hypocritical.  

Yes.

A person that says, "I am an atheist," and then never talks or thinks about it again, isn't a very good atheist. Likewise, a person who says, " I belong to XXXXXX religion," and then never takes part in the religion, is not really part of that religion.

The point? The more an atheist pushes the idea of atheism, the more he makes it to be a religion for himself.

Smiley

I fail to see your point here. You state that those who are atheist and never talk about it are not very good atheists? What does one's disbelief have to do with projection.

Also would like to get some clarity on what you mean by "taking part in the religion"
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003
November 12, 2015, 02:23:00 PM

I took his response to mean auntie = atheists, for some reason.

Well both of my uncle/auntie says "I'm an atheist" even if is very uncommon looking at their names (Joseph and Marie).

If you talk with them they express some form of belief in God.

I think they have a problem with the Pope (and the Authority expressed by him) not with God himself.

Best regards.
legendary
November 12, 2015, 02:00:02 PM

You are pretty good translating without using a translator. But try using one. You didn't answer the question.

Bing translator http://www.bing.com/translator/.

Smiley

What's the problem now?

Best regards.

No problems. You didn't answer the question MakingMoneyHoney asked. That's all.

Smiley

Well, it wasn't my question. As long as you are comfortable with the answer. My response was only to what I understood.

Smiley
Activity: 504
November 12, 2015, 01:38:14 PM

You are pretty good translating without using a translator. But try using one. You didn't answer the question.

Smiley

What's the problem now?

Best regards.

Smiley

legendary
November 12, 2015, 01:35:05 PM

Smiley

What's the problem now?

Best regards.

Smiley
legendary
November 12, 2015, 01:31:20 PM

Smiley

What's the problem now?

Best regards.
legendary
November 12, 2015, 01:27:15 PM

Who is your auntie and what is the problem?

If that's a problem, the problem is non-believers (atheists - atheism).

I thought this was pretty clear.

Best regards.

Smiley
legendary
November 12, 2015, 01:03:57 PM

If that's a problem, the problem is non-believers (atheists - atheism).

I thought this was pretty clear.

Best regards.
Activity: 504
November 12, 2015, 12:51:50 PM

Getting out of the believing is BS, as well. How do we know? We know because the complexity of the universe is proving that finding facts is way more difficult than we had thought. If it were not difficult, science would have found a way to allow us to live for a thousand years by now.

Instead of focusing on facts, science has turned to emphasizing theories that are not facts, and making them appear to be facts. This has turned even science into a religion.

If I happen to sensationalize some facts, this doesn't mean that others can't create thier own views. I don't have any control over whatever views other people have.

Perhaps you should stop sensationalizing your view that my supposed sensationalizing of some facts is changing peoples' views.

Smiley

I'm with you BADecker, but you have a problem with Authority and I have a problem with my auntie.

Best regards.

legendary
November 12, 2015, 12:49:30 PM

Getting out of the believing is BS, as well. How do we know? We know because the complexity of the universe is proving that finding facts is way more difficult than we had thought. If it were not difficult, science would have found a way to allow us to live for a thousand years by now.

Instead of focusing on facts, science has turned to emphasizing theories that are not facts, and making them appear to be facts. This has turned even science into a religion.

If I happen to sensationalize some facts, this doesn't mean that others can't create thier own views. I don't have any control over whatever views other people have.

Perhaps you should stop sensationalizing your view that my supposed sensationalizing of some facts is changing peoples' views.

Smiley

I'm with you BADecker, but you have a problem with Authority and I have a problem with my auntie.

Best regards.

And you have a problem with understanding what authority is. Wake up and see that authority rests first with God, and then with anyone else as long as he doesn't harm somebody or damage the other person's property.

You are entirely welcome to make a Pope to be your leader. You have the authority to do that. But I don't have to. As a man, God gave me authority as strong as any other man or Pope, as long as neither of us harms the other or damages the property of the other.

Wake up.

Smiley
legendary
November 12, 2015, 12:42:30 PM

Smiley

Best regards.
Activity: 553
November 12, 2015, 12:37:28 PM

Smiley
on the first place it was not that direct to you . But yes ,people who are sensationalizing always try to convince the people they are speaking to and in the worst case the guy forget's what he thinks or likes and ends up more religious and uncreative ,of course the grown up or enough sensible guys dont take it seriously and just let it pass away and they are less than 0.001% of the total population.
Jump to: